Diablo® III

beta-avatar.jpg

90 Human Warrior
Mines 1-0.jpg.
Reply Quote
01/01/2014 04:03 AMPosted by Pyotr
Mines 1-0.jpg.

I guess WoW's offically out of beta, then, since y'all have actual non-beta forum avatars :)

I mean, I can see keeping the beta avatar accessible for people who were beta testers, as a perk; that would be a nice thing. But srsly, making us all use that same beta avatar 21 months after release? There's just no excuse. I know that they spent the year after release working frantically to patch and finish a game that they'd released in a less-than-finished state, but how has their web team (which is separate from the dev team, as they keep telling us) still not found a spare minute to tackle this?
Edited by Waitubold#1127 on 1/1/2014 5:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/01/2014 05:13 AMPosted by Waitubold
Mines 1-0.jpg.

I guess WoW's offically out of beta, then, since y'all have actual non-beta forum avatars :)

I mean, I can see keeping the beta avatar accessible for people who were beta testers, as a perk; that would be a nice thing. But srsly, making us all use that same beta avatar 21 months after release? There's just no excuse. I know that they spent the year after release working frantically to patch and finish a game that they'd released in a less-than-finished state, but how has their web team (which is separate from the dev team, as they keep telling us) still not found a spare minute to tackle this?

I'll have you know that this could not have been fixed in one minute.

It could take one person up to an hour, or even two.
And he might have to ask another person how to do it effectively.

Shock.
Horror.
Reply Quote
Let's get the game fixed first. PTR is yet another train wreck.
Reply Quote
we demand blue response from a web team developer. a special "web blue"
Reply Quote
This is hilarious.
Reply Quote
View profile
The Web development team is separate from the game development team. Giving us avatars in no way takes away from game development.

Why can't people understand that?
Reply Quote
01/01/2014 08:23 AMPosted by ImmortalKing
The Web development team is separate from the game development team. Giving us avatars in no way takes away from game development.

Why can't people understand that?

well maybe that widely accepted "fact" is wrong. maybe blizzard has such a skeleton staff these days that the game developers are also responsible for some website work. that would certainly help explain the poor quality we keep seeing.
Reply Quote
lol imagine if we could pm each other too

this would almost be a real forum
Reply Quote
View profile
OneL: I hope you don't actually believe that.
Reply Quote
01/01/2014 09:10 AMPosted by ImmortalKing
OneL: I hope you don't actually believe that.

companies have done stupider things with their staff
Reply Quote
These forums are built for nothing more than pure propaganda imo. Of course they do not want to spend more money on this or give us features to express ourselves more or allow us a sense of self. We are their cash cow, their oil that makes their corporate machine run. The forums, in other words, are working as intended. Are you not thankful?
Reply Quote
Why are you people surprised the avatars are still in beta mode? Especially when the actual game is in beta as well, how dare y'all question Blizzard's work ethic acting as if they don't do enough. Heck, that beta portrait there probably took them weeks just to even set up as an avatar, hard work man.

/sarcasm

Seriously though, this shouldn't surprise anyone at all. Blizzard is just milking a cash cow trying to do little work as possible to maximize profit, especially on the Diablo series. If you're expecting Blizzard to do the small details correctly, you're completely kidding yourself. Heck, their daily meetings probably go like this. "Ok guys, now remember, whatever work you're doing today remember to cut some corners, we want to maximize as much profit as we can! Hoooraaah, salary raises for everyone!"

EQN can't get here fast enough
Edited by Dalton#1234 on 1/1/2014 9:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
EQN does look good. I'm an old fan from the original EQ. However, I don't hold very high expectations. It'll likely be more of the same, with a shiny new skin. *shrug*
Reply Quote
Course it says that, the full game isn't out for 83 more days!
Reply Quote
01/01/2014 09:38 AMPosted by Spectral
Course it says that, the full game isn't out for 83 more days!

I think you mean Beta 2.0
Reply Quote
10/4/2012, Grotato (Web & Mobile Team) says.. "We are planning to add achievements to the profile. Thanks for the suggestion."

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794730010

14 months later? Nothing. It's either two things that is plaguing this team. Incompetence or management red tape.
Edited by Integral#1425 on 1/1/2014 10:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/01/2014 09:14 AMPosted by Thal
These forums are built for nothing more than pure propaganda imo.

Isn't that all the more reason for Blizzard to do it right, though?

An online forum encourages players to create most of the "content" themselves, keeps them interested and involved by doing so, gives the host the ability to moderate the tone of those discussions and add whatever info and spin they please, and doesn't require a lot of investment to work, compared with other PR and advertising outlets. For a publisher, any publisher, it's nothing but win... if they do it right. It's a powerful PR tool, into which Blizzard can't be bothered to invest enough resources to implement the most basic of features.

Why don't we have nested replies? Or a quote function that works consistently? Or the ability to embed pics and videos? Or the ability to add a proper hyperlink to a post? Those features are common to every other online forum I've ever seen, and Blizzard know how to do them: you can see all of them elsewhere on the site. But for D3, Blizzard can't even be bothered to rename the damn forum avatar file.

It's just.... baffling.

01/01/2014 09:23 AMPosted by Dalton
EQN can't get here fast enough

Yeah, I've signed up for the EQN beta, too. I won't get one of the early invites, though: I'm sticking with my decision to never pre-order a game again, whether there's early beta access included or not, and that includes "founder's pack" donations to develop a free-to-play game that I haven't played yet. I didn't buy a PoE supporter pack until I'd already played that for months, either. If EQN pans out like I hope, then I'll happily pay, but no more money up front just for promises.

EQN does look good. I'm an old fan from the original EQ. However, I don't hold very high expectations. It'll likely be more of the same, with a shiny new skin. *shrug*

I don't know about that. ImmortalKing. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, either ('cuz, well), but all cynicism aside for a minute, if SOE pull off everything that they're promising, it could really raise the bar for RPGs on PC.

Voxel-based, entirely destructible, procedurally-generated environments, with dungeons literally being one good ground smash away? Heroic movement, so no more "low wall" obstacles? A persistent environment, whose NPCs' behaviour changes dynamically in response to your in-game accomplishments? SOE aren't wrong when they describe those as the holy grails of PC RPGs.

(Edited for readability, as my last paragraph was a bit run-on, but the content is essentially unchanged.)
Edited by Waitubold#1127 on 1/1/2014 11:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/01/2014 10:19 AMPosted by Integral
10/4/2012, Grotato (Web & Mobile Team) says.. "We are planning to add achievements to the profile. Thanks for the suggestion."

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794730010

14 months later? Nothing. It's either two things that is plaguing this team. Incompetence or management red tape.

If something this simple really is "stuck in committee," then Blizzard are in deep, deep, deep trouble. I sincerely hope that something else is going on here; I just can't imagine what that might be.
Reply Quote
View profile
01/01/2014 11:00 AMPosted by Waitubold
I don't know about that. All cynicism aside for a minute, if SOE pull off everything that they're promising, it could really raise the bar for RPGs on PC: voxel-based destructible environments, with the underworld literally being one good ground smash away; heroic movement (no more "low wall" obstacles); a persistent environment, whose NPCs' behaviour changes dynamically in response to your in-game accomplishments; SOE aren't wrong when they describe those as the holy grails of PC RPGs.

To that I say...Look at all the things there were promised in Diablo 3? I.e. Elemental damage. Runes with levels and flavor. Team death match arena. The list goes on and on.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]