Diablo® III

(Beta) DH Unlimited Strife build ideas

MVP
View profile
Hey all,

Managed to have a K'Mar Tenclip (http://i.imgur.com/2pIuWrS.jpg) drop in beta, been trying to find a good build for it but currently my 2 hander with Ele Arrow just seems to out dps it. I'm thinking maybe 1 handers still just can't compete but as I've said in the past I'm no expert so thought I'd ask for tips from the DH forums.

What builds do you think would work with this?

Current test build I did using only the 1 1 hander and my quiver as I don't have a good 2nd 1 hander. Tried this out with a Rocket build as the knives for crit seemed really lackluster.

Stats: http://i.imgur.com/F3dG28w.jpg

Skills:

Caltrops - Spiked Trap
Smoke Screen - Choking Gas
Sentry - Spitfire Turret
Companion - Boar Companion
Rain of Vengeance - Shade
Strafe - Rocket Storm

Passives:

Night Stalker
Perfectionist
Ballistics
Awareness (Surprisingly good when you're always moving so rarely actually getting a mob swiping at you)

http://youtu.be/kwa7Aanhpr4

So ideas? thoughts? builds? I love the idea of this but just can't think of a good set up for it.
Reply Quote
How about this:

Stafe:Demolition
Sentry:Chains of Torment

With some form of slow like Caltrops, Shadow Power:Night Bane or Fan of Knives.

Smoke Screen for oh crap moments and to break out of movement-impeding effects.

Some combination of the following passives: Grenadier, Steady Aim, Cull the Weak, Hot Pursuit, Night Stalker, Awareness or maybe Thrill of the Hunt? (Actually curious if Thrill of the Hunt still works with zero-hatred Strafe?)
Reply Quote
View profile
My suggestion is to not build around that skill, but add it to another build. The skill is just as bad as Elemental arrow in ptr/beta. It was better in patch.1.08.

The rockets with strafe only hit 1 target with the *new* rockets, the old one had an AoE like similar to the ones off Multishot. IMO there is only 2 choices with strafe
1. knives and high chc
2. bombs with high aps

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#eSYPkT!hgT!acbcab
^ I hope they match the new runes
Cull the Weak or Thrill the Hunt for 4th passive

have like 20% scr (skill cost reduction) and over 6 hatred/sec
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 1/2/2014 2:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
Here's my own take on it..
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#eSXYkT!agU!ccbZbb

FoK - Hail = 0 CD FoK
Smoke = Healing
4th Passive could be almost anything.

What happens is that you'll just Strafe around, spam FoK. Snare can be applied almost indefinitely. Just cycle between Thrill and Tort Ground.

You can change Tort Ground or Shuriken to some other Spender or a Discipline Skill if you want.

I hope they change or put a new Skill Calc though.. so we won't have to do this.. linking then changing. XD
Reply Quote
@ Narull, nice find.

I found this bow and tested it with SCF Build and it work wonder. Cluster Arrow for heavy damage and FTW.

Video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7emwtNJXTKY

New Build - SCF Build
Strafe/Cluster Arrow/Fan of Knife

Primary : Strafe - Drifting Shadow
Secondary : Fan of Knife - Bladed Armor
Spender : Cluster Arrow - Dazzling Arrow
Vengeance - Seethe
Shadow Power - Shadow Glide
Preparation - Punishment

Passive:
Blood Vengeance
Night Stalker
Grenadier
Archery

Strafe - Drifting Shadow
Strafe deals 315% damage at random while moving at 75% MS. With Drifting Shadow, 100% MS is restored and this work well with SP - Shadow glide which give another 30% MS, totaling 54% MS. This is important for dodging heavy attacks, getting out of nasty ground elites affixes and for speed farming.
No worries on break points.

Fan of Knife - Bladed Armor
FoK deals 450% damage with 20 yards AOE and slows enemies by 60% for 1 second. Couple with Bladed Armor of 65% armor gain for 4 seconds, it is a must have skill for DH due to its damage burst and awesome damage mitigation. 10 seconds cool down (up from 8 second) can be improved by Gem in helm, special shoulder and amulet.

Cluster Arrow - Dazzling Arrow
This is the main skill for dealing massive damage. 2 runes are in contention i.e. Dazzling Arrow and Cluster Bombs. Even though Cluster Bombs deals more damage, Dazzling Arrow is preferred in this build due to 100% chance to stun enemies for 1.5 second (Hope developer won't see how good is this) and its attack speed. CA is more spammable with hatred reduction from SOJ, Mara, DML and Paragon level. Please note that new gears in RoS will not give you this bonus. So total Hatred per CA = 40-5-5-5-4 = 21 hatred.These are level 60 gears so you may not want to use them all in level 70 Torment, even after enchanting. In term of game play, while engaging elite, try aiming at different elites for each CA release to take advantage of the stun effect if AOE could not cover all of them.

Vengeance - Seethe
Use this during elite fight and spam CA with infinite hatred for 15 seconds.

Shadow Power - Shadow Glide
5465 LoH for 5 seconds. As mentioned, Shadow Glide is preferred for better movement. Option is to use Blood moon for 10929 LoH.

Preparation - Punishment
This work well with Night Stalker to replenish hatred and free up an active slot from Companion - Bats

Passive skills is up to personal preference.

Gears
Need to have the following gears:
K'mar Tenclip crossbow
SOJ with CA reduction
Mara with CA reduction
DML with CA reduction

Hope you like it.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
01/02/2014 02:03 AMPosted by Oble
How about this:

Stafe:Demolition
Sentry:Chains of Torment

With some form of slow like Caltrops, Shadow Power:Night Bane or Fan of Knives.

Smoke Screen for oh crap moments and to break out of movement-impeding effects.

Some combination of the following passives: Grenadier, Steady Aim, Cull the Weak, Hot Pursuit, Night Stalker, Awareness or maybe Thrill of the Hunt? (Actually curious if Thrill of the Hunt still works with zero-hatred Strafe?)

The problem I'm having with Chains of Torment is the chain isn't long enough, it's extremely annoying to cast them but have to move away but the chain itself isn't 'long' enough. It's one of the things I've reported to Blizz in hopes of it being something they could adjust.

Oh and Thrill does still work just tried it out, not bad indeed.

01/02/2014 02:09 AMPosted by KirusAlufras
My suggestion is to not build around that skill, but add it to another build. The skill is just as bad as Elemental arrow in ptr/beta. It was better in patch.1.08.

The rockets with strafe only hit 1 target with the *new* rockets, the old one had an AoE like similar to the ones off Multishot. IMO there is only 2 choices with strafe
1. knives and high chc
2. bombs with high aps

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#eSYPkT!hgT!acbcab
^ I hope they match the new runes
Cull the Weak or Thrill the Hunt for 4th passive

have like 20% scr (skill cost reduction) and over 6 hatred/sec

Everyone bags out Ele Arrow but I'm farming Torment II with Ice Arrow and loving it(have improved gear since this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVxvh8F93JE )

I have 54% chc so I did try knives but the damage was just really lackluster, highest crits where 500k where as I can get 4mil crits with ele arrow.

But I do get what you mean by not building around it. Would be nice if strafe could be viable though.

Gonna try some things suggested and report back. I'd make more vids but uploading that minute took me 4 hours(that's how bad Aussie net is!)
Reply Quote
01/02/2014 02:57 AMPosted by Narull
The problem I'm having with Chains of Torment is the chain isn't long enough, it's extremely annoying to cast them but have to move away but the chain itself isn't 'long' enough. It's one of the things I've reported to Blizz in hopes of it being something they could adjust.

This could be a problem IF you move continuously enough to break the chains.

With 3x Chains, you can have up to 9+ Chains up. It's 1 Chain per cast.. 3 CoTs will chain with each other and unto you..

Those will deal damage independently AFAIK so.. yeah.. But the trick here is that you don't cast them all on 1 spot as I think it won't put that much chain.

TTT won't make chains with them but... I can't really illustrate so well.. gonna hop into the game and post a pic >_<

As for FoK, how come it only deals that much? O.o Or maybe you have Ele Arrow damage mods?

01/02/2014 02:57 AMPosted by Narull
But I do get what you mean by not building around it. Would be nice if strafe could be viable though.

About this.. if you're using Ele Arrow and enjoying it.. you might want to use Drifting for Strafe instead? Just to reposition yourself and deal damage while at it.. Strafe makes you phase through enemies which is a nifty utility. :3
Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 1/2/2014 3:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
i'm running the strafe build since day one of the ptr (because i've found on day one a good strafe bow).

i tested a lot of skills and some skills are must have in this build.

strafe - rocket storm: really good for single target dps and i've u have to kite packs
strafe - demolition: good if aoe is needed (shrine farming) or you are playing in a group with a barb/monk or you have the amulet "the ess of johan"
strafe - drifting shadow/knive rune: for farming lower difficulties

chakram - shurri cloud: 200% damage for free, procs !@#$ like andy poison nova or nightstalker

fan of knives - knives expert (hatred rune): hatred dump, good aoe damage

the other slots are free to change. i'm using a calamity, so marked for death is in my skill bar. in addition i'm using rain of vengeance for shrine farming or else wolf companion. the last slot is my survival or movement skill (depends on the difficulty).

for the passiv slots: depends on which strafe rune u are using, ballistics for rocket storm and grandier for demoliton. special mention, cull the weak is pretty good with this build. or else just go with the all time stars like nightstalker, tactical advantage, blood vengenace (with calamity not that good anymore) or shsh / archery.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
I'm just going to add this and try not to sound like a retard.

At 70 in Torment you can't afford to be taking hits unless you're a tank build, Torment is A LOT harder then master at 60(even at 70 master is a harder).

I actually tried out shrunken cloud last night when I first got the bow and staying that close to the mass mobs in Torment you can get destroyed way too easily I found.

@Chrizzle: This is what it comes down to with Chains, I'm moving a lot when I'm not doing a tank build so yeah chains didn't reach, but I will try again.

No ele arrow modifiers, I re-enchanted them to strafe when I got the bow(I'm blowing a 1.5mil a reenchant on my boots atm lol), as you can see in the vid, strafe just seems to attack quick but not hit hard, for a while I was wondering if it was bugged the crits are so low compared to ele.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
I know the likelihood of someone knowing this is slim, but anyone know if the extra hatred per shot with Archery is generated when using strafe? or only normal shots?
Reply Quote
archery gives only hatred for using generators
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
01/02/2014 04:16 AMPosted by Acra
archery gives only hatred for using generators

I so knew that, I'm the one that asked it to be checked haha, but I completely forgot.

Testing this has convinced me that people are wrong about Frost Arrow (or I'm insane).

Cluster Arrow - Dazzling Arrow is critting for 1.5-2.2mil
Elemental Arrow - Frost Arrow is critting for 1-1.5mil

I didn't change anything else in the build apart from swapping CA for EA, EA is so much cheaper and faster that I'm just convinced it's better. I really don't understand the love of CA now apart from the stun.

Can someone tell me? I'm going to upload a video of both and people can see for themselves and maybe explain it to me (although as I said earlier, uploading will take awhile).
Reply Quote
01/02/2014 04:35 AMPosted by Narull
I really don't understand the love of CA now apart from the stun.

Can someone tell me?

I think a lot of it stems from the fact that we've never had the chance to spam the skill like we can now. Also from what I've seen, most people like Cluster Arrow - Cluster Bombs because each grenade does the tooltips damage and the skill receives 100% of the benefits from Grenadier as each bomb is a grenade.
Reply Quote
01/02/2014 04:35 AMPosted by Narull
I didn't change anything else in the build apart from swapping CA for EA, EA is so much cheaper and faster that I'm just convinced it's better. I really don't understand the love of CA now apart from the stun.

With proper Gears, like.. just 2. You can use Cluster as your Primary :3 But since you don't have that kind of gears, it's not plausible for you to actually matter.

Grenadier + Cluster Bombs is the way to go for damage in CA. Other runes are for utilities. Stun and HP Regen for that matter.

Also, I think the reason why EA is more beneficial for you is because of the cost and the damage it deals upfront.

When DFans was streaming, she liked EA-Frost too, I asked her to try Nether and disliked it because it moves SOOOOOOOOOOOO slow. :P

01/02/2014 03:33 AMPosted by Narull
@Chrizzle: This is what it comes down to with Chains, I'm moving a lot when I'm not doing a tank build so yeah chains didn't reach, but I will try again.

Ahh.. Yes.. Whenever I use Chains with Strafe and Shuriken, I just roam around the enemies. Maybe it's because of my other Legendaries and STUN affix on an item that makes me survive.

25% Damage reduction per Stunned enemy is epic. CoT, Shuriken, FoK-Stun and Strafe-Demo can actually keep enemies at bay as I twirl around them.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
01/02/2014 05:09 AMPosted by Chrizzle

With proper Gears, like.. just 2. You can use Cluster as your Primary :3 But since you don't have that kind of gears, it's not plausible for you to actually matter.

Grenadier + Cluster Bombs is the way to go for damage in CA. Other runes are for utilities. Stun and HP Regen for that matter.

Also, I think the reason why EA is more beneficial for you is because of the cost and the damage it deals upfront.

When DFans was streaming, she liked EA-Frost too, I asked her to try Nether and disliked it because it moves SOOOOOOOOOOOO slow. :P

Ahh.. Yes.. Whenever I use Chains with Strafe and Shuriken, I just roam around the enemies. Maybe it's because of my other Legendaries and STUN affix on an item that makes me survive.

25% Damage reduction per Stunned enemy is epic. CoT, Shuriken, FoK-Stun and Strafe-Demo can actually keep enemies at bay as I twirl around them.

Are you in beta? If so what's your toughness/dps?

I honestly can't see any way that CA can be Primary unless you have insane gear. Even with both rings, gloves, shoulders, bracer's re-enchanted to resource reduction it would maybe take CA down to 20 hatred per shot and then you'd need attack speed and crit rate.

I've seen the vid of someone doing it, but I've never seen what gear they had to be able to pull it off and am yet to see someone do it vs normal mobs/elites/champions only bosses(which are easy).

Maybe it's just not for me *shrug* I have crit on all my gear atm, I personally can't see it being worth re-enchanting it all to resource reduction just for CA.
Reply Quote
01/02/2014 03:33 AMPosted by Narull
No ele arrow modifiers, I re-enchanted them to strafe when I got the bow(I'm blowing a 1.5mil a reenchant on my boots atm lol), as you can see in the vid, strafe just seems to attack quick but not hit hard, for a while I was wondering if it was bugged the crits are so low compared to ele.

Its not a bug, you also need to take into consideration the weapons you are using:

A bow hits harder in ranges but shoots slower then a 1hXbow. But as you said, a 1hXbow has lower damage range but the frequency is a lot higher.

Bow:
315 min - 1114 max = 715 Average Damage per Hit

715 * 1.4 ApS = 1000 DpS

1H Xbow:
315 min - 935 max = 625 Average Damage per Hit

625 * 1.6 = 1000 DpS

So a 1000 DpS 1hxbow doesn't do the same damage per instance as a 1000 DpS Bow.

So what you are seeing makes perfect sense.

To make a 1hxbow hit for the same damage it will need much higher listed DpS.
1000 DpS Bow:
= 715 Average Damage per hit

715 Avg Dmg 1HXbow:
=715 * 1.6 ApS
= 1144 DpS

So your 1hxbow needs to have ~1144 DpS to hit as hard as a 1000 DpS Bow.

I feel like they should reintroduce our damage ranges on our stats sheet like they had in D1/D2. Damage ranges can mean a lot especially when dual wielding. When I select an offhand weapon I only really look at the minimum damage and if it can hit the same breakpoint as the mainhand.

Its interesting that the crowds mentality from D1&D2 --> D3 has changed so much in regards to viewing damage. Back in the day VERY FEW people cared about attack frequency because our stats only showed our absolute minimum and maximum damage, so if it didn't make you hit harder people disregarded it, even if the two weapons had the same DpS. Now that we see DpS and not the damage ranges, i notice the opposite mentality.
Reply Quote
01/02/2014 05:20 AMPosted by Narull
Are you in beta? If so what's your toughness/dps?

Nah, not in Beta, I know people who are in there though.

I honestly can't see any way that CA can be Primary unless you have insane gear. Even with both rings, gloves, shoulders, bracer's re-enchanted to resource reduction it would maybe take CA down to 20 hatred per shot and then you'd need attack speed and crit rate.

I don't think I should post it ;) But it works. I know someone who can do it. But.. technically if you watch Nyan's Vid doing Belial T6.. It's that HELM + Cinder Coat + some other stuff.

Maybe it's just not for me *shrug* I have crit on all my gear atm, I personally can't see it being worth re-enchanting it all to resource reduction just for CA.

No need ;) Just those 2 stuff + Paragon Points.

01/02/2014 05:26 AMPosted by TastySouP
Back in the day VERY FEW people cared about attack frequency because our stats only showed our absolute minimum and maximum damage, so if it didn't make you hit harder people disregarded it, even if the two weapons had the same DpS. Now that we see DpS and not the damage ranges, i notice the opposite mentality.

Well, that's one reason why we can somehow thrive, the damage frequencies that we can do with multiple skills is one reason how some of my builds work :3
Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 1/2/2014 5:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
kirus wrote something about fast weapons and slow ones. slow ones are good for oneshotting, because for the first attack, speed does not matter.

for cluster arrow, get the (bugged) helm prides fall for 30% cost reduction and cinder coat for 30% cost reduction. then get a calamity and get marked for death - mortal enemy in you skill bar. no more hatred problems in 90% of the time.

for the comment above, i can do torment 2 without prolems and i'm lacking some important pieces in my build. so i guess with equal 70 gear it should be possible.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
01/02/2014 05:52 AMPosted by Chrizzle

I don't think I should post it ;) But it works. I know someone who can do it. But.. technically if you watch Nyan's Vid doing Belial T6.. It's that HELM + Cinder Coat + some other stuff.

The fact you say this makes me think it's a bug/exploit of some form, so i t won't make it into live in it's current form so I don't really care about it if that's the case.
Reply Quote
01/02/2014 05:55 AMPosted by Acra
kirus wrote something about fast weapons and slow ones. slow ones are good for oneshotting, because for the first attack, speed does not matter.

This is only really true when you get super high end top tier weapons. And what I'm about to type becomes a lot more relevant considering everyone is at the mercy of RnG and a lot of weapons people will find may not hit harder by default of its weapon type.

If your weapons have the same top end range then it doesn't matter because your maximum potential is the same.

if you use cluster arrow with a crossbow that does 500-1000 damage or a 1hxbow that does 200-1000 dmg, then the max potential is the same and saying that a slow weapons hits harder is now false. This is why they need to reintroduce damage ranges imo, we're gonna find a lot of weapons that have trash ranges, i've seen it already in the PTR.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]