Diablo® III

(Beta) DH Unlimited Strife build ideas

you are right in that case, but max damage range on bows and 2hand xbows are more or less the same. but 1hand xbows are around 200 damage lower. additional it's not important what your max damage range is, it's important what your average damage range is per shot.

here are some numbers from the ptr (level 60):

k'mar tenclip: speed 1.6 dps 1.248k range 628-932
kridershot: speed 1.4 dps 1.302k range 744-1117
demon machine: speed 1.1 dps 1.148k range 951-1137

but i guess we're writing about the same thing. for the first couple of shots, esp for hard hitting spells (one shotting mobs) slow weapons with a small damage range is better. 2hand xbows would be in this category.
Reply Quote
01/02/2014 06:41 AMPosted by Acra
but i guess we're writing about the same thing. for the first couple of shots, esp for hard hitting spells (one shotting mobs) slow weapons with a small damage range is better. 2hand xbows would be in this category.

agreed, just presenting it from different angles. I wasn't aware that the high end xbow values were so similar to the Bows value, kinda make its interesting, maybe bows will be king now >.<

I've always liked bows the most ^.^
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
01/02/2014 05:55 AMPosted by Acra
kirus wrote something about fast weapons and slow ones. slow ones are good for oneshotting, because for the first attack, speed does not matter.

for cluster arrow, get the (bugged) helm prides fall for 30% cost reduction and cinder coat for 30% cost reduction. then get a calamity and get marked for death - mortal enemy in you skill bar. no more hatred problems in 90% of the time.

for the comment above, i can do torment 2 without prolems and i'm lacking some important pieces in my build. so i guess with equal 70 gear it should be possible.

Ah, thanks for confirming it's a bug people have been using. I'd rather not try and work out builds for CA based off bugs which have no way of making it to live. ;)

I have been doing Torment 2 with out issues myself with my 2 hander, just trying out this 1 hander to see how it can go. Currently in Torment 2 using almost my same build as before just no generator and using strafe to generate discipline which fuels PP for hatred to FA. It's working like a charm.

I do love that there is several different kinds of builds that can be trailed. I imagine this bow with a calamity would be an insane combo.
Reply Quote
01/02/2014 05:55 AMPosted by Acra
get the (bugged) helm prides fall for 30% cost reduction

what exactly is the bug with prides fall helmet? I've read that it doesnt work with Discipline and it sometimes doesn't reset on hit. Is there any others?
Reply Quote
01/02/2014 05:56 AMPosted by Narull
The fact you say this makes me think it's a bug/exploit of some form, so i t won't make it into live in it's current form so I don't really care about it if that's the case.

Actually, it's not a BUG. If you can make sure that you aren't hit for 5 seconds for Pride's Fall effect to not wore off? That's why I mentioned Nyan's Belial kill.

100% SS Uptime with that = Effect UP 100%. ;)

Sure it's bugged at the moment but even though if it gets fixed, it's still doable :3

You don't even need Calamity-MfD-ME for that.

01/02/2014 07:00 AMPosted by TastySouP
get the (bugged) helm prides fall for 30% cost reduction

what exactly is the bug with prides fall helmet? I've read that it doesnt work with Discipline and it sometimes doesn't reset on hit. Is there any others?

None.. the "doesn't reset on hit" is the bug that makes it really worthwhile. and that's the bug people are actually referring to I think. IMO, the part that is doesn't work in Discipline is a much bigger problem and should be fixed.

But.. imagine, fixing that, SS + Perfectionist will let you cast Smokescreen cheaply and could maintain it indefinitely if you can chain cast it. Like what Nyan did as an example.
Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 1/2/2014 7:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
<(^^<)

I have the 1 hander myself as well and did play around with it. The no strafe cost is nice, but I still wouldn't use it in my strafe build. I lose just too much DPS using this bow. It might be a good option to try to DW though.

Nyan advice :
TAKE ADVANTAGE OF SNAPSHOTTING

You don't have to gear swap like me, but you should try to take advantage of snapshotting damage on strafe. These are the current items I recommend to get and snapshot all of the following when you use strafe :

http://puu.sh/66NdN.jpg
  • Harrington Waistguard
  • adds 100% damage increased by skills on corpse/chest loot
  • http://puu.sh/66NeZ.jpg
  • Hexing pants of Mr.nYan
  • adds 25% damage increased by skills when the initial cast of strafe was in a moving state
  • will not work if you casted strafe when you are standing still (instead you get -25%)
  • also nice for the resource regen
  • Woof!
  • Wolf companion
  • adds 30% damage increased by skills when active
  • HOLY !@#$!
  • Power Shrine (available only in rifts)
  • adds 300% damage increased by skills
  • As you can see......this is a %^-* LOAD OF DAMAGE. Like....serious damage you should definitely snapshot! Having a build idea is nice, but of course you want to try maximize your damage output as much as you can.

As for skill sets, I'm sure you guys can work one out (>^^)>
    You could try to incorporate the god-mode build in it too (chain lingering fog)
    Also try to factor in the resource reduction available in RoS when thinking of a nice build!
    Edited by VocaloidNyan#1582 on 1/2/2014 8:41 AM PST
    Reply Quote
  • Hexing pants of Mr.nYan
  • adds 25% damage increased by skills when the initial cast of strafe was in a moving state
  • will not work if you casted strafe when you are standing still (instead you get -25%)

• Ah hah.. So I was right in suspecting the damage bonus from this leg pants would snapshot.

@Narull,
    My idea was to keep circling them in the area and dropping CoT, while you CC them with things like caltrops, night bane, FoK and/or Thrill to help you stay just out of reach of most mobs. I'm just pulling ideas out of my head though as I don't have either PTR or Beta. It may not work well in real execution so no worries if it doesn't really work =)
    Reply Quote
    Also I forgot to mention something....

With the amount of damage buffs you get, it is recommended to have a high attack speed (think shots per kill).
    Reply Quote
    The synergy with this bow and the right built is amazing - feels close to WW-Barb with unlimited resources (constantly 4 damage sources and great movement speed) up to a certain difficulty level like Acra said.

I recommend smt similar to this built a fellow DH posted in german forum but on PTR I use the wolf instead of cluster bombs and also strafe/rocket storm with ballistics passive (2.51 breakpoint atm):

http://www.fas7play.at/DH-Builds/bountiehunter.jpg

Smoke Screen/ Displacement + TA for Speedy Gonzales.

Since I just got the Yan pants and the Harrington waistguard its time to try some Nyan stuff :-]
    Reply Quote
    for strafe to work better you will need the set which summons all your pets and uses sentries which fire your hatred spenders. since I have no access to the beta its hard for me to say which build would work best but for strafing to work well you will need this set to gain good damage boost while you're in strafing mode.
    Reply Quote
    MVP - Diablo III
    View profile
    The bugged bracers are fixed now although I never used them for farming like others have anyway so getting all this uber gear people speak of would be nice but not for now.

Vid of the Cluster Arrow build. I kinda suck as it's really hard to get used to not having a hatred gen skill. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmxJIg7Vaps
    Reply Quote
    Hey Narull,
    CA really has big potential in RoS. If you have not watch Philos killing Azmodan in T6, here is the link. He claimed he is the 1st one to do so post wipe.

http://www.twitch.tv/philosophios/c/3432323

Cluster bombs can crit up to 70 mil with appropriate gears and maybe w the scroll.
    Reply Quote
    MVP - Diablo III
    View profile
    01/02/2014 05:45 PMPosted by Cameo
    Hey Narull,
    CA really has big potential in RoS. If you have not watch Philos killing Azmodan in T6, here is the link. He claimed he is the 1st one to do so post wipe.

Cluster bombs can crit up to 70 mil with appropriate gears and maybe w the scroll.

With insane gears anything is possible. =P

I'm just a normal player, I won't be getting insane things like streamers do as I play in a normal fashion.

While I love seeing what streamers can pull off in beta, I personally think people need to stop thinking that will be what everyone can do come live.
    Reply Quote
    01/02/2014 06:42 PMPosted by Narull
    Hey Narull,

With insane gears anything is possible. =P

I'm just a normal player, I won't be getting insane things like streamers do as I play in a normal fashion.

While I love seeing what streamers can pull off in beta, I personally think people need to stop thinking that will be what everyone can do come live.

Unfortunately, once someone does something in a MP game, it has a bad habit of becoming the norm even if its actual practicality is non-existent. Usually why I tend to roll my eyes when you see builds relying on legacy Nat's or some gear set that literally costs dozens billions. It really can be demoralizing to players without the same time and luck to throw at the game and even mid-tier builds have a habit of getting laughed off because they're not of the 1%.

More on topic, I'd certainly be interested in this weapon for lower difficulty farming as I hate the stationary nature of RF. I've been trying to chip away at my paragon levels on live, but it's a slow process since I feel like DHs are the weakest class mechanically at the moment. I have likened Strafe to the poor man's whirlwind in the past, which is certainly true of live, but an item like this really does up its potential. I'm not a fan of (advocating third party) gear swapping, though, which makes some commentary on snapshotting a bit iffy for me.

But just screwing around on beta with Strafe even without the weapon in question, I cobbled together what a number of others seemed to piece up. Thrill of the Hunt and Smokescreen's movement boost are nice for mobility purposes. I also set Vengeance to replenish Hatred'Disc. A bit unreliable for base mobs, but elites and their guaranteed globes did help to keep me spinning. I obviously couldn't fit FoK in with Strafe eating Hatred, but did Bat instead for the occasional active replenishment. Also had NS for replenishing Disc, but I feel like Strafe's mob limit is hurting this choice. Rest is pretty much a matter of taste with a hatred generator and another skill like Shuriken Cloud. Overall, I did okayish, but I'm still kinda stuck in my favoring of Ball Lightning despite trying a few builds on the PTS.

And just dorking around on live with a Sever just because. x.x
    Reply Quote
    Hello,

Just got a wailing host to go with litany ofbthe undaunted. I am strafing with drifting shadow and chilling with my army of 25 skeletons that is a mix of sword melee and archer ranged bonemen.

The are doing 100k damage per hit. They also act as a perma stun and slow as they take aggro and they clean up straglers as they are behind me.

My game play on ptr is to find a chest or corpse as I have a belt with 100% bonus. Then I activate wolf for bonus buff (have gloves that increase pets attack speed). Then activate shuriken cloud and then activate strafe. If you can avoid anything to stop strafe then you get 200% damage on strafe. If you stop or run out of hatred then when you strafe go into mobs as shuriken will still hit with big damage buff. This will stay for 2 mins.

I am running blood vengeance along with legendary that refreshes 20% of resource with globe along with healing well refreshing all resources. Using nightstalker with punishment for near unlimited hatred. Have furst rune fan of knives for max free dps...

Running hot pursuit to get fast speed while strafing to stay in the lead and lead my skeleton army into the mobs to keep them busy.

I keep looking for chests, corpses and globes. This is a lot of fun with ptr at master level....

Just great luck with the drops.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]