Diablo® III

[Guide] Wizard AH3 for Better or Worse

Cool topic Booz.

How much time have you spent playing AH3 in relation to how much you play D3? 50/50? 80/20?

Are the items that you flip typically items bought on bid, or have you done a lot of camping for 1d12h deals, especially ones under 2 beez? Do you ever flip items that have been listed for a couple of hours without bites on either GAH or RMAH?

Especially before you built your "empire", what percentage of your gold did you use to buy upgrades for your character versus capital for flipping?

Have you ever played AH3 on the job? (Have to ask because I know a couple of people who have)
Reply Quote
01/02/2014 12:55 PMPosted by jenpeezey
Its part obsession, part passion, part fun. I love it. Generally I look for the 50/50 win win, but sometimes its a drag-a-thon negotiation especially with foreginers.... but can't be helped, they are the biggest spenders usually

Haha. I just don't like the mindgames involved. Oh, the buyer puts his status to AFK when you know he's there and just ignoring your last message to drive you to lower your price or not make the deal. He's watching the clock just like you are, and you are thinking about walking away from the offer completely. Until. Someone. Caves.

LOL

Well.... mind games and that leveling is part of any negotiation. ^_^

At least my chinese has gotten better ?
Reply Quote
Booz I saw that you tried to nominate me for barb of the year. I thank you for the kudos
Reply Quote
01/02/2014 01:10 PMPosted by silverfire
Cool topic Booz.

How much time have you spent playing AH3 in relation to how much you play D3? 50/50? 80/20?

Are the items that you flip typically items bought on bid, or have you done a lot of camping for 1d12h deals, especially ones under 2 beez? Do you ever flip items that have been listed for a couple of hours without bites on either GAH or RMAH?

Especially before you built your "empire", what percentage of your gold did you use to buy upgrades for your character versus capital for flipping?

Have you ever played AH3 on the job? (Have to ask because I know a couple of people who have)

My estimate for time spent playing is around 50/50. More starting out, less as the capital grew. But I am on JSP quite often looking for deals, but that is on the phone so I cannot close. Nowadays more like 25/75 towards playing.

It was profitable before to camp certain items for 1d12h paydays ie. zuni pox/ mempos/ big amulets, rings, gloves / forces. However with this market, I'm not willing to camp for these larger investments anymore. With smaller items, the 1d12h DOES still happen quite frequently, so it is still worthwhile to camp this way. However I do not anymore. You really need to know the market well for items that are not AUTO 2b items that any blind person will know is good. Decifiering items that are 1.2B and 2B flippable is something experience can only figure out.

Yes buying "late" items are still profitable esp if you KNOW the market it is in. For example. High STR / high INT/ vit vile wards were hay day back in LOH CM days. These were priced by many people w/o factoring STR as added bonus. Passed over by many people due to lack of information by people, and these fetched GOOD amounts before. Also due to LOW avaliability, pricing these was a SELLERs market, anything goes.

I choose to bid to win items and re-sell usually for 1-1. ie. 100m buy for 200-225m sale. Otherwise I dont bother. But probably 50/50 from bids and snipes.

I tried to keep my upgrades around 1/3 of my bankroll. Not including what is posted. but this is a comfort thing, some people are more risky or sometimes you can't say no to a certain item then so be it =)

Can't log in to game at work, forums is the most I can do ^_^

Thanks for the questions !
Reply Quote
I wish I would have got into learning the AH a little more early on. My problem was that I liked playing the game better than AH3, and I didnt want to spend what time I had to play looking at auctions. I thought for the longest time if I played there would be some drops come my way, and boy, was I ever wrong. That was probably the most wrong I have ever been about anything in my life. Thats part of the reason I am so mad at Blizzard.

As far as spending my own money? I dont really care about that. As long as I can save some and spend some I feel pretty good. I risk my life every day at my job, and I am not going to worry about spending a little bit of the money I make. If I cant do that, I might as well get a Mcjob.

One more thing, damn you for putting the MF/GF rings/amulets at the top of the list:) I have been making a killing off the ones I have found myself-which is one thing I have found at a pretty good rate.
Reply Quote
01/02/2014 01:52 PMPosted by Hub
One more thing, damn you for putting the MF/GF rings/amulets at the top of the list:) I have been making a killing off the ones I have found myself-which is one thing I have found at a pretty good rate.

Dont worry Hub, these items are constantly being posted at all times of day. They are so readily traded that it is worth giving out the information to others to benefit.

Recently the market is slow, but I dont mind holding onto a couple nice MF/GF items to flip at 100x investment. However, the time for these items might be coming to an end as botters look for better investments then D3 in the near future.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
Takes so much work nowadays. Better to just liquidate the items you don't plan on using any longer or have no sentimental value.

Gone are the days of easy flipping—and also trend flipping. Man, buy out a page of Triumvirates to relist at double the price back when people didn't understand how elemental bonuses worked. Buy out a page of spirit regen Inna's Radiance when TR monks were the hottest paragon grinding specs.

Let's not forget IAS Chant Wills (though I only managed to play around with those for about a week before I stopped). And also LS daggers! But that's all in the LS weapons category, which was playing with fire for me. I never got into it.

Right now... what's the trend... listing low-mid tier items for players regearing to grind paragon levels. Feed off the fire sales (underpriced items), relist for a little more for the ones regearing. Love it or hate it, but that's the way things go right now.
Twitter: @Jaetch
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 1/2/2014 1:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
@ Jaetch

Until the day AH is closed, there will always be an avenue of sales. However I agree the window is closing.

I thought the days were numbered after the gold dupe from the great 1.07 patch. But I was wrong, and luckily sales still thrived until around 4-8 weeks ago.

I've stepped back from flipping and focused more on grinding experience as a goal.

Focusing more on smaller sales on GAH and flipping via GAH is where my focus is ATM. Flipping into RMAH is a dead zone, nothing is being sold for much anymore on RMAH, and definately not worth buying from GAH and flipping into RMAH anymore. The risk is too great, I dont want to be stuck with 10x pieces of 2B gear to sell via RMAH.
Reply Quote
Yeah Boozer, I have noticed the bifecta MF/GF and just GF rings not selling as fast as before, but ones with good stats in addition to a high GF roll(23-25%) still go pretty quick. I need to get rid of some of the ones I have put back and only keep 1 good jewelry set to take into RoS.

In the back of my mind I know its mostly botters buying stuff like that and it definitely will come to an end soon. In a way I will miss the AH, but hopefully my time will be more rewarded in RoS. I did play some PTR last night and found an interesting low level WD weapon that rolled level 60 stats which kinda gave me a half smile in hopes of things to come:)
Reply Quote
Great thread if you wrote it 6 months ago Boozer!
Reply Quote
@Hub

In a perfect world, people could find enough gear to progress.

Botters no longer re-upping their accounts to farm gold and thus lowering the value of GF gear is just another part of the changing landscape of the AH beast.

Got to be adapt and move on to sandier shores ^_^

The items I've listed as recommended picks are pretty universal and span all classes. They are constantly being used and thus "safer" bets up until the AH closes.

Trend items like expensive LS weapons/ IAS items/ Mempos/ ETC are just some of MANY changing trends....
Reply Quote
01/02/2014 10:59 AMPosted by Boozor
4)
Natalya's boots - 190 dex + random resistance

Lower end nats boots with with double dex rolls and random resistance rolls are great for starter monks and sell/mispriced often. Also readily avaliable so feel free to mass bid.

Or BIS for ZDS monks. I don't think it's double dex roll, it's just a high dex roll (170-200). One random affix is single res.
Reply Quote
01/02/2014 02:48 PMPosted by Aphraell
Great thread if you wrote it 6 months ago Boozer!

Since your here.

You and Shandlar were some of guys that I was lucky enough to pick brains during your peaks early on. It was nice to see what others were doing and doing it successfully.

Helped me bounce ideas around and defiantely a part of the success.

Also, why write it 6 months ago, can't give away the treasure map too early !

^_^
Reply Quote
01/02/2014 02:55 PMPosted by Vox
4)
Natalya's boots - 190 dex + random resistance

Lower end nats boots with with double dex rolls and random resistance rolls are great for starter monks and sell/mispriced often. Also readily avaliable so feel free to mass bid.

Or BIS for ZDS monks. I don't think it's double dex roll, it's just a high dex roll (170-200). One random affix is single res.

Your right it is the higher standard dex roll, not double dex (up to 300).
Reply Quote
Booz,

I've been tempted to buyout certain market corners and reprice all. Have you done this at all? Was it successful or not?

In particular, legacy gear, or low-supply gear (valuable items <lvl 60 that only drop in content people don't farm).

I could see someone doing it for threshold items too (1.79 wands anyone?)...
Reply Quote
@ vox

Purely a risk reward situation.

I've done this before but in brighter times. As previously mentioned 100+ str 200+ int and Vit vile wards was a nice profit margin. The market was very small at one point down to 1 page. Proved to work in my favor but was not sustainable over long periods of time.

As well early on in 1.05 I capitalized on ias chants wands, buying out all viable lower end 1.78-179 Wands and taking down the top top wands. At one point if you were buying a 1.78-1.79 wand chances are I had it up.

But all things must come to an end.

If you are planning on monopolizing a market you have to assume the risk especially now that you might not recoup it back. It's probably too risky right now but you might have some insider info I am not aware currently.
Reply Quote
Nice post, Boozer!

I did quite a bit of flipping, though I never really bothered going into the high end market. The most expensive items I ever sold were a 1b Mempo that I lost 100m on and a 339m Pox that I made 200m on.

My favourite items to flip were Inna's pants with AR or Vit+primary rolls and Lacuni's with 9 IAS, 6 CC and AR, armor and/or primary rolls. Half my flips were probably just those 2 items.
Reply Quote
@mzy

Focussing on specific markets as you've done usually are good steady returns.

As you've noticed once deviated from your markets you realized largest earnings and largest deficits. Small steps are usually best until you have bank to afford sitting on a long sale or worse of all taking a hit on a larger sale.

But... Can't stay in comfort zone forever ^_^

Still pretty high end flipping for 100s of millions. So GJ.
Reply Quote
I used to watch my buddy Tokio go through this process.
i remember him slowly gearing by selling rare rings and whatnot.....
then ubers came and he was able to do them so started doing that saving his earnings till that fatefull night when i was in a TS server with him and he kept doing the refresh thing on dex mempo's. Bamb.... server best popped up for 2b b/o and he snagged it. flipped it for a 5b profit less than 24hr later. Then it was off to the races for him. i know how much cash he made in the first year of the game and it was more than i make in a year at my job. and i do ok.

so knowing how brutal it can be dealing with people and top end gear from watching him, i have the utmost respect for you as well.

And i want to thank you for sharing what may be basic information to some of us, because there are those ppl who don't quite understand how to make the ah work for them. so hopefully some new players can make it into RoS better off than they thought they would.
Reply Quote
You and Shandlar were some of guys that I was lucky enough to pick brains during your peaks early on. It was nice to see what others were doing and doing it successfully.

I feel like I'm in a retirement home after that statement! :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]