Diablo® III

@Euronymous..WD builds & Vids for ROS

01/31/2014 02:29 PMPosted by Euronymous
Keep in mind this was solo play. Another WD in my list found multiple SoJs this week, but no DoT items. Had we played in a group, we could've easily traded these items instead of salvaging the doubles. Once the game releases, it will be easy to group up with WDs as opposed to now where I'm happy if I can even find a decent full group of any classes.

I see this as a huge plus for group play for sure. ;)
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 02:29 PMPosted by Euronymous
I'm more concerned about not having enough items to play for.

interesting , what do you mean by this?
Reply Quote
I meant that if I would start with RoS right now, there wouldn't be too many items that make me go "I need this!".
But it might just be me being greedy after I have already tested most of the existing items ;)

If I were to make a RoS release want list for all slots, you would probably see at least 3-5 different items each. Some items I'd like to have multiple versions of for different elements, different skill modifiers, cooldown reduction based builds etc.. So that's a good step up if you compare it to D3 Vanilla where you usually had 1-2 best in slots items with clear-cut best affixes.

Still, there is about the same amount of items with promising legendary affixes that are not even close to being competitive with other items. This is especially true for most of the pet items. There is a lot of feedback regardings pets in these forums, hopefully devs revisit pets in the near future

My top 3 builds now
Soul Harvest DoT build - no pets, not even the room for active/passive pet skills
Infinite bears build - abusing fetishes for cooldown reduction
0dog build - blowing up your dogs as fast as you can

Only thing I'm really missing here is a good pet build. It was looking OK before the last beta patch, but with nerfed Tasker and Theos, nerfed Homunculus and the fixes to dog spawning skills like Big Bad Voodoo, pet builds are waaay behind the builds mentioned above.
Edited by Euronymous#2637 on 1/31/2014 4:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
Euro,

I have a question for ya.

Based your time running in ROS beta, do you look forward to the expansion?

I am more of a casual player, it doesnt seem that evident with the kills and elite kills I have, but I have been running since about 8/12. I have limited time to run due to RL stuff :P

But with that said, I would love to here your overall opinion and assessment of ROS?

What would differentiate the experience of say a casual player to more of a HC gamer that has all the time in the world run?

I am concerned about longevity play and what would keep my interests up so I look forward to log in.

I am concerned about the "GRIND" again. I wouldn't mind the grind so much if maybe perhaps there was some sort of "Challenge mode" not ladders, but something in a PVP form, that would be interesting to do. Class imbalance would have to be addressed, but you get what I'm saying hopefully. There has to be more then grinding for gear.

Don't get me wrong the game itself is amazing, monsters are challenging...its lacking content I think to keep players interest up in the long run.

One saving grace for me? is running with buddies and talking crap...this is probably my main motivation in running, I have never really been a solo player, I find it boring.

Anyhoo you know where im going here, I have come to respect your grasp on the mechanics of WD and value your thoughts on this topic.

Thanks in advance

edit: Typos
Edited by REAPER666#1553 on 1/31/2014 6:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
Can you post a video of your Soul harvest dot build please Euro?
Reply Quote
@Fenz I'll upload a sneak peek later. A friend of mine wants to put out a longer vid of it with commentary and all that in the near future. I have no interest in producing D3 content and my hardware and internet connection don't meet the requirements to do that anyway (all low settings on D3 and still low FPS, 0,2 Mbit/s upload etc.).

@Reaper
No, I'm not buying RoS on release. I've had my fun in beta for a month and a half now and will probably stick around till the next wipe. Then take a break from gaming, come back when I feel the need for it again ;)
Always been like that for me since D2. That's why I'm not really concerned about longevity. If the game is over in 50-100 hours, so be it, 40 bucks isn't much for that and there is a high chance that I will play it again for many more hours at some point in my life.

LIke you said, the game is amazing Shouldn't that be all that matters? If you are fed up with the grind, you could always consider my "model of gaming". Just take a break from all of it including these usually depressing forums. Then come back when you can't wait to slay monsters again, possibly with more content that was released in the meanwhile. i'd think that you will have much more fun then than with the mindset you seem to have right now.
Reply Quote
02/01/2014 12:05 PMPosted by Euronymous
LIke you said, the game is amazing Shouldn't that be all that matters? If you are fed up with the grind, you could always consider my "model of gaming". Just take a break from all of it including these usually depressing forums. Then come back when you can't wait to slay monsters again, possibly with more content that was released in the meanwhile. i'd think that you will have much more fun then than with the mindset you seem to have right now.

Yeah great advice, I do have a tendency to get involved too passionately at times in discussion about this game...I just want the best gaming experience.

after all this game is, log in kill some bad guys log off...it really is quit that simple :P

Thanks again for your insite and look into what WD can be. much appreciated bud.
Reply Quote
Did some testing to get a better grip of the current DoT/Soul Harvest mechanics (thanks Ghom):

- dot duration with Quetzlcoatl and Creeping Death is 2.5 min
- Soul Harvest deals the damage of 51 ticks (a 1.221m ticking Haunt hits for 62.272m)
- 51 ticks equal ~30s (timed it with 1.54 aps and 1.1 aps with the same result)
- dot duration gets shortened by those ~30s every time you Soul Harvest
-> able to harvest 4 times with equal amounts of damage before a re-application of dots is required
Reply Quote
A4 bounty with the DoT build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2LP1tBpiEg
Edited by Euronymous#2637 on 2/1/2014 7:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
Nice to see this build working

I noticed you had 1.54 APS...would higher IAS be beneficial for better LOH to prevent some of the hits you took on your HP?

I noticed there are not many or, non at all, slots you can get extra IAS, maybe this would be the max for this build huh?
Reply Quote
Hm, this dot build is interesting... my only concern is that with this build being possible it means no other method of using the dots will be probable.

If they buff dots further it'll just make this build ridiculously OP (would be nice for it to be something besides a wizard or a barbarian for once though). Though, I admit that is quite cool and very unique.

I am glad there is 3 strongish builds, makes me feel better about the WD as a whole. I do wish they'd make other attacks viable still though. At least it is three quite different builds this time unlike currently where it's bears and bats with basically the same skills, or 0 dog.

Here's hoping a pet build and a stronger acid/poison based build emerges. I still wish it were possible to play with most of the attack skills in the game like the wizard is currently able to do.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the sneak peek :)
Reply Quote
@Reaper There is no room for APS affixes and LoH isn't really needed with Siphon (25k HP/harvested enemy). Languish is also a good option. I played a bit lazy in the video, you don't have to be in melee range all the time with this build. Then again, you can afford to do so if Spirit Vessel isn't on CD.

@gamefrk
They could still buff dots if they changed the mechanics with Soul Harvest, e.g. buff dots by 33% and lower the number of ticks that Soul Harvest consumes by 33%. Another way would be to add another dot legendary into the game (gloves, shoulders, chest, pants or boots). If you want the 6-set dot bonus you'd have to choose between Quetzlcoatl or that new item. If you play a normal dot build you could have both.

I don't like the Wizard for some reason, but good to hear that they made them a well-rounded class. I would love to have the Tals set on my WD though. A WD casting meteors permanently? And it could be used with full Zunimassa Set and the Lumbering Cold build for example.

@Fenz You're welcome ;)
Reply Quote
02/02/2014 03:35 AMPosted by Euronymous
I would love to have the Tals set on my WD though. A WD casting meteors permanently? And it could be used with full Zunimassa Set and the Lumbering Cold build for example.

oooo I didnt think of that :P

@Reaper There is no room for APS affixes and LoH isn't really needed with Siphon (25k HP/harvested enemy). Languish is also a good option. I played a bit lazy in the video, you don't have to be in melee range all the time with this build. Then again, you can afford to do so if Spirit Vessel isn't on CD.

gotcha

Thanks again for the vid
Reply Quote
More detailed video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L252JhzDIo
Reply Quote
02/02/2014 08:05 AMPosted by Euronymous
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L252JhzDIo

Thanks!
Reply Quote
02/01/2014 02:19 PMPosted by Euronymous
- Soul Harvest deals the damage of 51 ticks (a 1.221m ticking Haunt hits for 62.272m)

Hi, I'm quite confused here. How does SH output the damage of 51 ticks worth of total DOT? I thought it just increases our Intel? Is that damage released over 30 secs or as an instant nuke? The RoS tooltip description says "feed on the lifeforce of ...." , that makes the SH into a damage output nuke?
Reply Quote
02/02/2014 08:40 AMPosted by PaulNg
02/01/2014 02:19 PMPosted by Euronymous

Hi, I'm quite confused here. How does SH output the damage of 51 ticks worth of total DOT? I thought it just increases our Intel? Is that damage released over 30 secs or as an instant nuke? The RoS tooltip description says "feed on the lifeforce of ...." , that makes the SH into a damage output nuke?

The new dot wd set. The 6 piece set bonus says something like: soul harvest when casted does the remaining damage of all your dot skills. Or something of that nature.
Reply Quote
I was referring to the mechanics using the new DoT 6-set bonus ("Soul Harvest consumes your damage over time effects on enemies, instantly dealing their remaining damage.").
Reply Quote
I don't like the Wizard for some reason, but good to hear that they made them a well-rounded class. I would love to have the Tals set on my WD though. A WD casting meteors permanently? And it could be used with full Zunimassa Set and the Lumbering Cold build for example.

Everyone want this. currently it works on all classes but it isn't suppose to :(
Probably won't make live.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]