Diablo® III

Noob Windforce DH

Hi there! I'm a noob DH (but a veteran monk) -- put on most of my monk's best gear on my DH and filled in some holes and here I am! I found a pretty crappy WF while on my mind, but I tried to put together a build that would take advantage of the high KB from the WF. I love the playstyle, as I love the mobility that it offers -- I'd prefer this as a general playstyle than some of the traditional RF builds that require you to keep your DH still for as long as possible.

Here's my DH: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Nameless-1537/hero/14900943
and my build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#Wchgjd!fYe!ZbZYbZ
d3up profile: http://d3up.com/b/1276340

I decided to go with bola shot - thunderball (i like the stun rune) instead of entangling snare because the kill speed was so slow despite the high proc rate for the knockback. I've settled in with this build -- would usually swap out perfectionist for vengeance if I am running with a 0dog WD.

So here's my question for you guys. I've been only able to solo at MP8 with this build and I feel I've hit a wall. It takes a long time to kill elites right now, and I can imagine it being much worse in MP9. I realize I don't have the best gear, but I'm wondering whether MP8 solo is as far as I can go with what I have now. I don't want to spend too much gold on my DH, although willing to pick up a better WF than what I have now. I have a feeling that an equivalent unity ring would probably better than the WH ring I have now too.

Any other feedback would be helpful. Thanks!

(Oh and in case someone asks... I did some homework and read up on some builds from two of your more popular Windforce threads here... not sure if I am a huge fan of the ideas promoted in there so far, but I may have lots more to learn about the class too -- had problems trying to figure out the acronyms...)
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 1/4/2014 9:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
Solid gear, but it looks to me like your build eats more resources than you can generate and also has the ability to have only 2 sources of damage active at the same time.

I'd ditch a DPS passive (prob Archery) for Night Stalker, then Shadow Power for Smoke Screen. You have really good mitigation so you don't need Gloom, and since you have decent DPS and LS you don't need Shadow Power to keep your health up. Smoke is not just for breaking CC; The skill is such that you can use it to avoid damage in the first place, casting pre-emptively drops agro so the monsters go for other party members, followers, and pets (excepting the Bat and Ferrets).

Having both Rapid Fire and Multishot on your bar isn't helping your eDPS- you can't use both at the same time. Try using Caltrops JS, Spike Trap, or Marked for Death in one of those slots, I suggest in place of Multishot.

Note on Bola:

The stun rune is great to keep elites from attacking, and is one I use in some situations. Imminent Doom is much better for spike damage though if you stack 5 or more before they start to explode(2.26APS breakpoint). Your rotation would look something like fire 6 bolas, then cast Rapid Fire. All of the bolas will explode when the target dies, even if it is before the 2 second delay is up. Also good to note, that 2 second delay is great for keeping kill streaks going.
Reply Quote
Since making that post and looking at other people's builds, I tried using Marked for Death - Mortal Enemy in place of Gloom (you're right... I probably don't need it... I am finding myself use it less and less as I play more). It seems that this rune scales with my attack speed, so I find myself gaining hatred on RF when I am attacking an enemy has been marked. I just need to get used to this a bit more.

The reason I have multishot is more for the restoration of discipline than DPS. I typically hit vault, then multishot to restore all discipline used and resume my attacks. In a high density area, it's pretty effective at getting myself back to full discipline in short order.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I'll probably come back to this as I continue to tinker with my build and get used to this class.
Reply Quote
try this :
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WQhgkR!UYe!ccbYab

+

get your scoundrel to level 60 & equip a cheap max knockback wf + aspd rings
that will provide you with double knockback & a less stressful gameplay
(however u will still have a little trouble against un-knockable elites & wallers)
To solve that , u ll need stun bolas & and azurewraith + aspd gear Enchantress,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To toy with elites and make them look a little silly , swap scatter mines with screaming skulls. ( It will keep u awake !! )

Mp10 is no problemo !!! ( Dont factor in efficiency)

Goooood luckk !! :o
Edited by Mao#6908 on 1/4/2014 8:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/04/2014 07:40 PMPosted by Rav1n
I'd ditch a DPS passive (prob Archery) for Night Stalker,

I'd ditch steady aim instead. Rather have +15% Damage from Archery all time instead of +20 when enemies are at range, especially at higher MPs since monsters getting in your face is almost inevitable even with windforce.

As for a replacement for Supression Fire, I'd suggest a turret, they are great support fire for high IAS bows and handbow using characters.
Reply Quote
Steady aim is pretty good in groups, esp. with ubers. With other players to tank the front line and you pew pew from a safe distance. But when going solo esp mp8-10. I always replace SA with other passives since mobs will always go near you because of high hp. Making SA almost useless.

Ill add you in game if youre avail right now. proly can do a few runs with my DH.
Reply Quote
01/04/2014 10:57 PMPosted by Drasanil
I'd ditch steady aim instead. Rather have +15% Damage from Archery all time instead of +20 when enemies are at range, especially at higher MPs since monsters getting in your face is almost inevitable even with windforce.

How? How, especially with a windforce, will monsters enter within roughly 7 yards of you, which literally a melee attack, the majority of the time when there's so many ways to ensure that does NOT happen most of the time without losing potential damage?

If anything, I'd recommend keeping Steady Aim, as it gives the individual more incentive to not stay within teabag range, seeing how he's using a WF and will indirectly play a role in keeping him alive longer.

But when going solo esp mp8-10. I always replace SA with other passives since mobs will always go near you because of high hp. Making SA almost useless.

There's many reasons to use different passives for different situations, but if the sole reason for you replacing steady aim is because mobs constantly teabag you, then it's something you are doing incredibly wrong (unless you prefer the play style of tank DH and you intentionally vault into mobs to enjoy the orgy).

Whether you snapshot SA or not, it's one of our best flat passives we have that actually scales well with our gear.
Edited by DiEoxidE#1987 on 1/4/2014 11:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
Because he's pairing it with RF which is a standing still skill. Don't get me wrong I love my windforce and it does a good job of keeping a lot of monsters off my back but there always seems to be one or two that get close and all it takes is just one to strip the 20% bonus.

I'd rather have the guaranteed +15% from archery than the conditional +20 from steady aim; but maybe that's just me I like hedging my bets.

Or does SA snapshot with RF? Never actually checked that.
Edited by Drasanil#1846 on 1/4/2014 11:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/04/2014 11:20 PMPosted by Drasanil
Because he's pairing it with RF which is a standing still skill. Don't get me wrong I love my windforce and it does a good job of keeping a lot of monsters off my back but there always seems to be one or two that get close and all it takes is just one to strip the 20% bonus.

I'd rather have the guaranteed +15% from archery than the conditional +20 from steady aim; but maybe that's just me I like hedging my bets.

Two things.

1. He's using a WF. He's not intending to stand there and channel till Christmas, cuz, well.... he can't sustain it.

2. Even if he wanted to channel WF long enough for the Cincinnati Bengals to actually win a Super Bowl, Steady aim Snapshot's, so as long as he's channeling before the mob decides to rub their sack across his face, he'll still have the Steady aim bonus when the mobs finally do reach their destination and take their pants off.

Nothing wrong with people having preferences, it's just bothersome as an avid ranged DH to see people misinformed and throwing around misconceptions. :P
Edited by DiEoxidE#1987 on 1/4/2014 11:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/04/2014 11:30 PMPosted by DiEoxidE
Nothing wrong with people having preferences, it's just bothersome as an avid ranged DH to see people misinformed and throwing around misconceptions. :P

Glass is Class :P

Normally I just associate Winforce with standing still due to the knock back/LS hence why I suggested archery for the steady +15.

When I'm in the mood for moving about and playing the avoidance game I use my calamity, although I've never been able to get the stutter-step right so I most flip around with vault/tumble.
Reply Quote
01/04/2014 11:30 PMPosted by DiEoxidE

Im not really into the bottom details when playing character. As long as im doing it efficiently that's good enough for me. Not sure if im included with the quote people throwing misconceptions. =)

I may be wrong with some infos. Considering I dont play much as a dh these days. But yeah, I still know this class and pretty sure can help others solve a few issues they have playing DH. :p
Reply Quote
01/04/2014 08:06 PMPosted by Nameless
The reason I have multishot is more for the restoration of discipline than DPS.
Oh word. You had Full Broadside on the last time you logged out. Suppression Fire is pretty awesome for Disc.

01/04/2014 10:57 PMPosted by Drasanil

How? How, especially with a windforce, will monsters enter within roughly 7 yards of you, which literally a melee attack, the majority of the time when there's so many ways to ensure that does NOT happen most of the time without losing potential damage?
Die said it all.

01/04/2014 11:20 PMPosted by Drasanil
Or does SA snapshot with RF? Never actually checked that.
Yes.
Reply Quote
I see lots of detialed responses. Just want to add that maybe you have a look at my build. No shadow power as it's not necessary for a high ehp build. Marked for death works very well with the wf I find, especially with the hatred generating rune. I hate buffing dps and find that using resource generating abilities is best. Having lots of fun with this build, even though I gave up 60kdps when I went from calamity. WF is still the most fun imo.
Reply Quote
Wow! Thanks for all of your responses! I didn't expect to see so many, especially since it's the weekend and all.

@Rav1n: I think I will give that bola strategy a shot down the road -- it seems intriguing as far as the spike damage goes. Never thought about how useful that 2s delay in explosion could be used strategically.

1. He's using a WF. He's not intending to stand there and channel till Christmas, cuz, well.... he can't sustain it.

This is true. I can't sustain it. I find that monsters will inevitably come by and knock me around to interrupt the RF anyway, so it's not as if standing still and tanking until monsters die is really an option. I'd rather move when I choose to move (and where to move) rather than being knocked around by monsters. Typically, I would fire away with RF and then vault away when too many monsters are too close. I'd fire one or two multishots to restore discipline and then some bola shots to stun and push back and then (hopefully) start channeling RF again. I might start marking some enemies as well, since that hatred gain from the Mortal Enemy rune is too good not to use... it really does help me keep RF up for longer if I can.

I am surprised at how much fun I am having with the Windforce weapon. The high attack speed and knockback really does make this feel more like a ranged class (cuz if I wanted to play tanky and melee style, I might as well load up my monk).

@DieOxide: Thanks so much for your detailed & colourful responses. Not only informative, but entertaining to read as well!

--

Just a side question. I come from playing monk, where I regularly sport over 500K EHP for MP10 runs. I'm not really used to the glassy-ness of the DH, but I'm wondering what kind of EHP is considerd "high" for DHs. For that matter, what is considered adequate? At the moment, I think I am running with about 390K EHP with Perfectionist passive... around 327K EHP without... and this is at paragon 29. It'll probably be significantly higher if I can get my DH up to paragon 70.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 1/5/2014 3:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
Just a side question. I come from playing monk, where I regularly sport over 500K EHP for MP10 runs. I'm not really used to the glassy-ness of the DH, but I'm wondering what kind of EHP is considerd "high" for DHs. For that matter, what is considered adequate? At the moment, I think I am running with about 390K EHP with Perfectionist passive... around 327K EHP without... and this is at paragon 29. It'll probably be significantly higher if I can get my DH up to paragon 70.
I'm one of the tankiest DHs ranging from 600K-1.4M eHP (without dodge). I have run MP10 as low as 200K, but that's one shot territory with Gloom.
Reply Quote
I play with 370k~400k EHP and it's fine even for tanking with Shadow Power:Gloom at MP8~10. When I play ranged, I switch gears and EHP drops to about 270~280k and I'm still fine at MP8. I'd say the better you are at keeping monsters away from you, the lower your comfortable EHP would be.
Reply Quote
My favorite skill combo with Windforce, and I've tried most all, is elemental arrow ball lightning with night stalker. Go to a high density area and you won't believe how fast it fills up your disc ball.

Ball lightning travels slowly, so it tends to hit a target, knock it back, hit same target again, and with multiple targets you get tons of hits. With all those hits triggering nightstalker your disc fills very fast.

For that reason punishment is awesome with ball lightning and windforce. I just run rapid fire to burn down hard targets faster.

I also don't run shadow power, regen build, so I don't have to use disc for gloom, just the occasional vault.

Just another idea for a potential build to run.
Reply Quote
01/05/2014 04:01 PMPosted by Oble
I play with 370k~400k EHP and it's fine even for tanking with Shadow Power:Gloom at MP8~10. When I play ranged, I switch gears and EHP drops to about 270~280k and I'm still fine at MP8. I'd say the better you are at keeping monsters away from you, the lower your comfortable EHP would be.
I find that 350K eHP with Gloom is about the minimum you need to run MP10 to avoid a one-shot situation with Savage Beasts and Fallen Maniacs.
Reply Quote
For the PTR I have been running with my WF because Gloom is nothing like it was and I need the life steal. I was noticing that I couldn't withstand anything, and I have decent resist all. I also noticed they reverted back to where a DH's turrets (when hitting a creature with reflect damage) also reflect damage against the DH. I created a build that was been fun, and works for me on Master.

I have been running with Chain of Torment and custom engineering. The WF gives my chains knock back and life steal. I also used my paragon points to reduce cool down and increase life on hit. I also use Bola: Thunder ball to stun the elites who are immune to knock back. And, since my build does not ask for discipline at all, I use Vault: Rattling Roll (which stuns as well). I will try and take a picture, but my chains keep most enemies back. This works really well in corridors and what not.

Now, come RoS, I can see removing the knock back and putting in something else. The amount of life steal from all the creatures in the chains is great. Also, might be good with Shuriken: Shuriken cloud.

Just some thoughts, by no means an expert, but like trying things.
Reply Quote
01/06/2014 12:00 PMPosted by DvJaeger
Now, come RoS, I can see removing the knock back and putting in something else.
No way. That's what makes a Windforce a Windforce. Life steal will go bye bye.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]