Diablo® III

How about adding one skill slot ? 7 skill slots !

Also this would be wayyyyyyyy too hard for the current people at blizzard to implement.
Reply Quote
View profile
Posted by Lylirra

Note that players will get a 4th passive slot at level 70

wow a whole 4 passive skills so much choice...
Reply Quote
Adding another skill slot in PC version is impossible because there aren't enough buttons in console controlers.
Reply Quote
01/03/2014 01:40 PMPosted by Lyth
Since there is always one primary skill needed... I feel kind of frustrated to waste a skill slot for it.

There are MANY builds that work with only resource spenders. HOTA and Disintegrate and Sleet Strom among others. The right amount of APoC gear or CC or a reduced resource cost SoJ or Skull Grasp might help too - but I play several classes and builds that do NOT require a primary skill on the toolbar.

I should say that I agree with your point about skill slots and would LOVE for the default attack when out of resource to be a primary skill - not just a default basic attack as it is now.
Reply Quote
01/03/2014 05:25 PMPosted by Sycoticpyro
Then why does D3 have very little build diversity?

the only problem with this would be builds or skills considered op which take away the decisions, thus causing nerfing and buffing for balancing to make more skills enticing and some less overshadowing.

another more serious problem is actually the way how DPS works, which is the most important stat in the game (even in hardcore), and where all skills work with weapon damage, its not rocket science, you will chose the most powerfull skill you can spam over a skill that is half of the time on cooldown. Its no surprise that the craziest build people come up with in RoS ... are builds that manage to lower the cooldown times of skills as much as possible.

What people here talking about D2 seem to forget is that D2 was with the choice of skills a lot more open compared to D3/RoS. Even if you could use only 2 skills, at a time, the game didnt forced or restricted you to those, you could easily create builds that made use of more skills, as long you had actually thrown some points in those, thats why barbs could use 3 shouts, without actually missing a skill slot, compared to D3, where the shouts are buffs, that you dont need all the time. But you have to keep them in your skill bar. And thus they feel like a wasted slot.

Even if you can use more skills at a time, the fact that you, can not change those on the fly, that you have "primary" and "secondary" skills, actually means that you are much more restricted in the use of skills compared to D2. And D3 has only a handfull of skills and passives that are actually usefull.
Reply Quote
01/03/2014 04:59 PMPosted by Lylirra
Note that players will get a 4th passive slot at level 70

Actually, this is much preferable. Potentially, this will offer more builds than the extra skill slot.

Even though being able to build a full summon class would be cool :)
Reply Quote
How about adding one skill slot ?

Why only one, why not make it 10 or put them all instead of additional 1 only?
Reply Quote
View profile
01/03/2014 05:12 PMPosted by BobWitchDR
How is having only six skill lots negatively impacting your gameplay experience right now? If you can cite specific examples, even better!

I'm forced to choose "the best" skills for an average range of conditions rather than having situational abilities available for when they're needed. Because of that, I never equip the situational skills. The need for spamming mass damage output occurs more often than the need to fight in a certain way, so my damage spells win out over the others.

On the flip side, how would having an extra skill slot improve your game experience?

I would be much more likely to make long cooldown skills part of my arsenal. Right now, there is very little reason for me to use an ability that won't be available half the time when I can use something else that is almost as effective but always available.

If you had a 7th skill slot, what additional spells or abilities would you add to your bar (on top of the builds you use currently)?

As a Hardcore WD, I'd be trying a lot more crowd control skills, skills that I don't use now because the game is so heavily weighted toward doing as much damage as possible as quickly as possible. Having more ability slots allows me to still do high damage when I need to and have abilities that help keep me alive rather than choosing between the two (which isn't a choice given that DPS is king).

Really good replies Bob!
Reply Quote
How is having only six skill lots negatively impacting your gameplay experience right now? If you can cite specific examples, even better!

I'm forced to choose "the best" skills for an average range of conditions rather than having situational abilities available for when they're needed. Because of that, I never equip the situational skills. The need for spamming mass damage output occurs more often than the need to fight in a certain way, so my damage spells win out over the others.

On the flip side, how would having an extra skill slot improve your game experience?

I would be much more likely to make long cooldown skills part of my arsenal. Right now, there is very little reason for me to use an ability that won't be available half the time when I can use something else that is almost as effective but always available.

If you had a 7th skill slot, what additional spells or abilities would you add to your bar (on top of the builds you use currently)?

As a Hardcore WD, I'd be trying a lot more crowd control skills, skills that I don't use now because the game is so heavily weighted toward doing as much damage as possible as quickly as possible. Having more ability slots allows me to still do high damage when I need to and have abilities that help keep me alive rather than choosing between the two (which isn't a choice given that DPS is king).

I am indifferent to the situation but as far as this topic goes, after reading/skimming the posts, I think you made the only good one. =)
Reply Quote
You have a bunch of good points, but regarding this, wouldn't another solution be to reduce the amount of times you only need "mass damage" and increase the times you need other ways to fight?

The game is ridiculously AoE focused right not.
Edited by Shadout#2849 on 1/4/2014 7:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Because Magic Weapon and Storm armor don't add any fun to my play and they each take away a button for me to press. Because teleport wormhole is mega fun and I feel like I'm sacrificing too much by taking it.
Edited by Daph#1474 on 1/4/2014 7:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
All "buff" skills should be changed to offer a boost on use. Like the mantras do.
Reply Quote

My main hero is a monk. I hardly imagine surviving champions without a heal / immune ability. That makes one slot. One slot I tend not to use against simple monsters -> frustration. I only have 5 skill slots remaining.
I need spirit generation, too dangerous without. I don't want to be running around waiting for spirit to fill itself alone. That makes a second slot.
So, in the best case, I have 4 skill slots to actually have fun. I must choose 4 skills among 16 I all appreciate.And I have no real reason to take one over another, except if items have bonuses for some skills... and then items dictate my build (which I don't like).

I truly don't consider runes to add much variety to builds. I feel runes are just a lie. I really feel like I'm considered a fool... do you really think changing a bit each skill is creating tons of builds ? I really feel like I'm using the same skill, the slight change provided by the rune doesn't make it very different. Of course it changes something, but the skill itself is the same. At least, that's how I feel when changing rune. Also, so many runes are useless, even in PTR. I will consider there are 2-3 runes per skill that are useful.

Anyway.. let's go on counting skill slots.
I am a monk, and not having an aura would be retarded. So that makes a third skill. Truly, when choosing an aura, I feel like it's one skill that has 2*3 variations (2 skills useful among 4, 3 runes useful per skill). Then, I don't feel free when choosing my aura. I feel my gear dictates the aura I need. The problem is : at a given time, for a given gear, there is one combo aura/rune that is the best for killing monsters / surviving.
I have never felt the aura of retribution had any interest. I have tried to use it to see how fun it could be, never saw any interest to it. So, maybe I'm lacking the gear to make it cool. Maybe if I coop-ed more the aura of life would be useful... I don't know.

Again, I wanna say, oftentimes, runes feel like choosing between equivalent things... and so runes just feel like some lie that it increases the number of builds.

There I am with 3 slots occupied by things I wouldn't have taken if it wasn't vital that I got them.

So now you ask me why I would like 7 slots ? xD well because I would like to have more than one "heavy aoe damage skill", I would like to have two aoe damage skills, the mystic ally and sweeping wind. But I can't.

Maybe only gear is needed to get all this... But even so, that would mean that I would never use some supporting skills... they are also fun to use sometimes. Or I'd like to have dashing strike just for the fun of it... it's truly not a very useful skill compared to the others... it would be perfect in a 7th skill slot... I'm sure a lot of people don't use movement abilities because they are not so useful compared to others.

Notice the huge difference between D3 and D2. In D2, you wanted to make something out of your character before you even start leveling. You had an idea of the build you wanted. Then, with this build, you would struggle to make it work and the appropriate items.

In D3, you use the best combination of skills that you found... that balances between fun and survivability. So, fun is actually not at 100% since you must balance it with "what's best to go on in the game". When it becomes too hard, you just change your combination of skills until you find something better. You don't implicate yourself into your build so much...

In D3 it's all about "optimizing". That's why we got "toughness" etc in PTR, that's why we got all the information on our hero's damage, dodge, etc...

There is no room for fun builds... not until you got a full legendary set.
Edited by Lyth#2898 on 1/4/2014 8:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
We still feel that 6 is a good number, enough to give you flexibility in your build choices, but not too much to where you don't have to make thoughtful decisions about what you put on your ba

Still no thoughtful decision involved with 6.

We actually had 7 skills available for a pretty substantial period of time before Diablo III shipped; however, after lots of testing and feedback rounds, we reduced the number to 6. So, this is definitely something we've not only considered, but also evaluated heavily in the actual game environment

Negative feedback forcing this change came from the WOW crash team, or the console team right? The same teams that thought forced cut-scenes barging into every boss encounter fun, the teams that thought i.d. all wasn't necessary and watching a timer over and over again was fun, the same team that gave such great feedback on the story, that it became forced and a free WP system wasn't needed, and probably the same team that thought that itemization and the loot hunt was good enough to sustain a viable end game or replay value while leaving itemization/items in need of multiple fixes down the road in attempt to make it right that still hasn't worked yet...Right?

Come on Lyl, the internal feedback you are getting from, whatever teams it is, is giving you yesmen, or just flat out bad feedback. I don't know if it's out of fear, or what but there has been insurmountable development inconsistencies and flip flops on issues and obviously some of that is caused by bad internal feedback for this game.

Clean it up,
Edited by Menacetech#1216 on 1/4/2014 3:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/04/2014 01:53 AMPosted by doyoulift
Also this would be wayyyyyyyy too hard for the current people at blizzard to implement.

Did you mean: Lazy Coders of Blizzard D3 Team?
Reply Quote

Note that players will get a 4th passive slot at level 70.

that is the only reason I stopped complaining about the low amount of skill slots.

First of all I disagree with the "less is more theory", it is not universal and less money is not more money.

1. When someone is low on health I want to help that player, but the 6 skills slot limit does not allow me to do that. I can't drop a wall of zombies with taunt on an enemy because that would take away 1 skill slot from me for 90% the time and that means I'm forced to pick better skills for an average range of conditions rather than having situational abilities available. There is a good reason why situational skills are underused.

2. Limited slots does NOT create build diversity, it does the opposite. Imagine this game with only 2 skill slots, and then with 10, which is more fun? Pressing 1,2,1,2 definitely not. Only 2 skill slots limits the amount of viable builds, 10 increases it. Limited slots, limits and decreases, unlimited, unlimits, increases. The less is not more when it comes to skills and skill slots. Make a test with 6 and then with 7 slots, a 7th skill slot would increase the amount of viable builds.

3. Having more skill slots does NOT decrease the decision making, it increases it. When do you have to make more decisions, with 2 skills lots or with 10? The correct answer is 10. When you also have situational abilities available that is where you can make decisions. The less situational abilities available, the less decisions. If you want to buy a present for someone, when do you have more possibilities, with only 10$ or with 1000$?

4. A 7th skill slot does not turn you into an allrounder. Whatever you skill, one additional skill does not turn your crit based build into a completely different machine gun build or something because of your gear and your passives etc.
Edited by DrWildi#2188 on 1/4/2014 9:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
6 players in the game is needed more then skills
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]