Diablo® III

How about adding one skill slot ? 7 skill slots !

Lylirra,
My answer to your questions:

How is having only six skill lots negatively impacting your gameplay experience right now? If you can cite specific examples, even better!

An obvious answer to this question is a lack of variety in something you're intended to use repetitively. Whatever the amount of skills usable is; its the limitation to do something that is always going to be a factor against your entertainment.
A spellcaster class is an example of a class that is more interesting when more options are available.

On the flip side, how would having an extra skill slot improve your game experience?

A new skill slot alone would make the current gaming experience marginally better, and possibly marginally worse for others as a result. You would have a small new variety that wouldn't be interesting enough to notably increase your enjoyment. On the flip side, the new builds as a result might ruin other players enjoyment much like an OP build can when one player is sucking all the fun outta the room by smart bombing your screen.

However in my opinion, a new skill slot designated for a new TYPE of skill would give you the upgrade in game experience you're looking for out of new expansion skills. For example, currently we have the ultimate-esque skills for each class that sort of morph your hero into a class avatar. WotB/Archon/Gloom/Serenity/ ...big bad voodoo?...; a 5th skill could be designated for more skills like that - they have longer cooldowns and also longer active time. It could be multiple types of ultimate abilities too other than a hero morph. Something like a wizard's chromatic orb that has a short cooldown, high damage and powerful random elemental/arcane aoe explosion effects (polymorph/confuse/earth fragment grenade/flurry storms).

Or the 5th skill could be a skill you charge (hold the key down for long time) and if charged long enough and another spell is used during charged release; changes the effects and mechanic of the charged spell.
Example; a barbarian charges before leap (with DFA rune) and leaps onto a mob of enemies about 30yds in diameter and the charged leap rune effect has a larger radius that stuns all the mobs.

Lastly, the 5th skill could be an alternate spec button that you cast to transform your skills/passives into another set.

Again, it probably would be very enjoyable. However, the devs would still have the challenge to offer the right set of abilities that won't unbalance the game from different perspectives. Appears of course nothing like that would/or could be slated for RoS, but you did ask.

If you had a 7th skill slot, what additional spells or abilities would you add to your bar (on top of the builds you use currently)?

I don't really have an answer for that, because I'm not intrigued by the idea. I am sure something would fill the slot and it would be used frequently. I know I'd put leap in any of my barb builds that did not currently have leap.

EDIT: I forgot I had two other suggestions for 5th skill slot
Edited by Odin#1338 on 1/4/2014 5:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
a 7th skill slot would be too far away for me. My hands aren't tiny either, but having a skill on button 7 would be too far really for a skill you'd need in a bind. Some classes could be fine with an aura or whatever that you only cast every 10 minutes (saw the buff to wizard shields). Really there are builds you can make that are designed to handle large mobs and single targets well. Maybe not every buid can do that. I had one crazy build that was great for aoe targets but had little to no accuracy and wasn't particularly helpful against 3 unit elite packs or bosses.

I think this was it here.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bPiOgX!geX!ZbcbZa

So yeah in that case, I can see why yould want more skills. But still I think it's great having only 6. You have to be sharp on choosing between aoe and single target, and many skills can help there well.
Reply Quote
It would just be nice to have an additional situational ability- one that we can actively use. Most of the buff skills are pretty passive in their use, which sacrifices roughly one skill slot per class. I'd love it if we could have more room to experiment with skills that aren't as universally useful, like those with really long cooldowns.
Reply Quote
Yeah, internal testing seems to be reliable.. :rolleyes:

Nearly everything Blizz has done has been redone or tweaked based on player feedback which never ends and piles up while they take their time implementing things we asked for months ago.

Setup a PTR for player feedback where everyone can experiment with ideas voted on or chosen by the boys in blue. Obviously nothing major but do it often.

So you could add this 7th skill button, people log into PTR , dl a patch and you get real data instead of forum posts to decide if it can go into live or not. If there are only minor changes per patch it shouldn't need 6 months of testing. It will keep people coming back and engaging your community in a meaningful way won't lose money.
Reply Quote
As a monk:

Skill 1: spirit generator

Skill 2: Aura

Skill 3: Sweeping Wind (Seriously, do any builds that don't outgear everything neglect this skill?)

Skill 4: Survival / Buff Skill (Breath of Heaven, Blinding Flash, Serenity)

Skill 5: Cyclone Strike

Skill 6: spirit generator w/ passive, another buff skill like BoH, or Seven Sided Strike / Wave of Light

If I missed something, let me know. Anyway, yeah a 7th skill slot would kind of open up some variety at least as far as a monk is concerned. I never noticed a problem playing on my DH on console, but monk definitely feels pigeonholed. I don't even know where I'd fit the new monk skills in my current build.
Reply Quote
How is having only six skill lots negatively impacting your gameplay experience right now? If you can cite specific examples, even better!

As a Demon Hunter, I have to devote one skill slot to the Bat companion. This essentially turns one skill slot into a passive slot, so I might like to have another active skill to use.

On the flip side, how would having an extra skill slot improve your game experience?

It would mean that I could add one more tool to my box to handle situations I encounter. Is this any more than a rhetorical question? How would having an extra paycheck each month improve your lifestyle?

If you had a 7th skill slot, what additional spells or abilities would you add to your bar (on top of the builds you use currently)?

For my Demon Hunter, I would add Smoke Screen, or Sentry. For my Wizard, I would add Slow Time or Blizzard.

A seventh "skill slot" does not even have to be a skill. It might be a "universal slot" where we could plug in either a fourth passive, or a skiil that is activated once, and remains, like a Demon Hunter's Companion, or the Witch Doctor's Gargantuan.
Edited by OldPro#1166 on 1/4/2014 8:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/04/2014 07:22 PMPosted by plouyd
Yeah, internal testing seems to be reliable.. :rolleyes:

Nearly everything Blizz has done has been redone or tweaked based on player feedback which never ends and piles up while they take their time implementing things we asked for months ago.

Setup a PTR for player feedback where everyone can experiment with ideas voted on or chosen by the boys in blue. Obviously nothing major but do it often.

So you could add this 7th skill button, people log into PTR , dl a patch and you get real data instead of forum posts to decide if it can go into live or not. If there are only minor changes per patch it shouldn't need 6 months of testing. It will keep people coming back and engaging your community in a meaningful way won't lose money.

I try to be as kind as possible with feedback, but this definitely resonates. "Internal testing" is almost a dirty word for this team by now, having seen all the changes that needed to be made based on overly limited testing. I would urge the development team to reconsider the 7th slot, and to use this idea of allowing for it on the PTR server to see how we react to that availability. I think only good could come of it. =)
Reply Quote
I find it sadly ironic that most peoples' reason for wanting a 7th slot is so they don't have to min/max it when their reason for not being satisfied with 6 slots is that they're min/maxing all of them.

You would min/max the 7th slot.
Reply Quote
01/03/2014 04:59 PMPosted by Lylirra

• How is having only six skill lots negatively impacting your gameplay experience right now? If you can cite specific examples, even better!
  • On the flip side, how would having an extra skill slot improve your game experience?
  • If you had a 7th skill slot, what additional spells or abilities would you add to your bar (on top of the builds you use currently)?

Note that players will get a 4th passive slot at level 70.

Personally, I feel that instead of giving players a 7th ability of their choosing, a better approach would be to instead give every class a certain mobility-related ability by default. For example:

- Wizards get Teleport

- Monks get Dashing Strike

- Barbarians get Leap

- Demon Hunters get Vault

- Witch Doctors get Spirit Walk

- Crusaders get that horse dash skill (whatever it's called)

This is because mobility and/or escape tools are so very important to farming and survival that any character that doesn't opt for one of them is at a severe disadvantage. This will be especially true in Reaper of Souls which puts such a larger emphasis on personal and ACTIVE survival (meaning you actually have to dodge stuff and pay attention instead of standing and brute forcing through it all).

It can also cause issues during multiplayer when everyone in the party has a mobility skill and one player does not, and he or she isn't using one because their build won't function to the fullest if they were to plug one in. This causes that player to get left behind while everyone else is zipping ahead to the next pack.

Giving everyone a mobility skill by default could also allow you guys to better balance them against each other knowing that it's something everyone has. That way people aren't always complaining how another class has such superior mobility *coughMonkscough*

So then what do you do about all the Runes associated with these mobility abilities? Glad you asked!

What you can do is create a Relic slot for our characters. Make Relics that can drop that have affixes that are the same as what the Runes do. For example, a Wizard Relic might drop that turns your Teleport into Wormhole, or one that turns it into Calamity. Etc. And we can just wear whichever Relic we choose depending on which effect we want tied to our class inherent ability... but we have to find the Relic first of course.

The great thing about this is that it also ensures that each class will always have this one specific ability, which means you can better tailor set bonuses to the classes knowing this. Imagine if, say, one of the Tal Rasha set bonuses was "Teleport no longer has a cooldown, but now costs 25 AP" or something like that. Or a Barbarian set bonus: "Leap will now pull all enemies to you within 25 yards of your impact location". You can't really do big set bonuses like this right now because not everyone uses the same skills; it makes them feel left out when you make set bonuses that affect a specific skill that they don't happen to use, or like, or can't fit into their build without breaking it.

Just some things to consider.
Reply Quote
6 slots is too low number because actually it is only 4 slots, which is already taken by OP abilities. 7 would be perfect number. Add plz.
Reply Quote
Going to echo a similar response I gave to a thread that asked this same question a few months ago. Apologies for the overlap, but the answer hasn't changed since then. :)

So! No current plans to increase the 6-skill limit. We still feel that 6 is a good number, enough to give you flexibility in your build choices, but not too much to where you don't have to make thoughtful decisions about what you put on your bar. (We actually had 7 skills available for a pretty substantial period of time before Diablo III shipped; however, after lots of testing and feedback rounds, we reduced the number to 6. So, this is definitely something we've not only considered, but also evaluated heavily in the actual game environment.)

We know that some players may disagree with that approach (example: the OP). Totally cool, but let me turn the question back on you and then add a few more, because learning why you prefer one gameplay feature over another is super meaningful. Also, sometimes it can be pretty fun, too.

• How is having only six skill lots negatively impacting your gameplay experience right now? If you can cite specific examples, even better!
  • On the flip side, how would having an extra skill slot improve your game experience?
  • If you had a 7th skill slot, what additional spells or abilities would you add to your bar (on top of the builds you use currently)?

This is a good thread.

Firstly, 6 slots is fine. The issue is that many classes have 2-3 essential skills that make or break the class by their absence. So you only have any real choice with maybe ...3?

For example:
Barb - Warcry, HoTA (right now the only really viable Torment spender, unless you get silly items IN Torment).
Wizard - Armor spell, Familiar, Energy Weapon.
Demon Hunter - RoV, Familiar, SP or SS.
Reply Quote
First of all,
I go to analysis with a music symbol
I said not music has seven symbols ,To correspond to the seven skills
We talk a little bit more simple
Although skills will have one hundred million combinations
Even though there are one hundred million different combinations to produce music notes
Human hearing is often along with the development of the music
Not to use Numbers to calculate the amount of skill sets
Can determine depth and fun game
So sometimes feel bound
Computer of one hundred million kinds of results
Can't decide
The fun of people
subtle≠amount
Full marks very full value(I think ten skills,Is the limit of in d3)
Six skills just to pass the exam(I know the purpose of the six skills,
Convenient and quick......The characteristics of such as these 。)
There is an old saying in China
The amount of have a meal Eight is just right
So...
Basis of a good≠perfect
In fact there is nothing bad about six skills
+1It would be better
(D3) is not (data) types
Are we facing hordes of monsters
Not in the PK and other heroes(There is a monster in with a group of cases)
So...Six skill is not bad
Just not so perfect(For example, in the case of D3)
If this change will pay a heavy price
Even affect the whole balance of the game and this change of subversion is no great achievement
Please keep in six skills
If there is a surprise
Without a strong negative impact on the game itself
Personal advice to keep up with speed
Variable and age of freedom and a lot of fun
Will appear in front of our eyes(By you) ^^
The actual test is very important
Then look at players want
Or get a trigger (As additional CARDS)
Like wow frostbolt trigger ice refers to
(Personal foolish to build)
It seems I haven't officially answer this question keke
1. (1 2 3 4 )Available skills only after the mouse left and right to play
Defeat the monster when no superiority and subsequent operations
When no beat powerlessness and fear (empty)
2.Can eliminate 1 and very happy
3.Before the first attempt to build a more perfect or eliminate regret
Then try all sorts of all sorts of new tricks all sorts of make up
And as the efficacy of d3 patch aha~~!
Edited by 唳风殃#3103 on 1/5/2014 5:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
The reason for only having 6 skill slots is to create some tension in skill choice. You're supposed to have exactly one fewer slot than you would really like to have, to encourage you to continually re-evalute your build, trying to think which skill you could swap out so that you could get that other skill you really want, but just doesn't fit into your build.

This design choice will ultimately frustrate some players, because they can't have everything they want at once, while exciting and engaging others. It depends mostly on whether you expect the game to be a mindless skinner box, or a game with meaningful choices.

In other words, if you want 7 skill slots, don't argue that you'd be happy with 7. Argue that you need 8, and 7 wouldn't be enough.
Edited by DashLektrik#1704 on 1/5/2014 6:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
Going to echo a similar response I gave to a thread that asked this same question a few months ago. Apologies for the overlap, but the answer hasn't changed since then. :)

So! No current plans to increase the 6-skill limit. We still feel that 6 is a good number, enough to give you flexibility in your build choices, but not too much to where you don't have to make thoughtful decisions about what you put on your bar. (We actually had 7 skills available for a pretty substantial period of time before Diablo III shipped; however, after lots of testing and feedback rounds, we reduced the number to 6. So, this is definitely something we've not only considered, but also evaluated heavily in the actual game environment.)

We know that some players may disagree with that approach (example: the OP). Totally cool, but let me turn the question back on you and then add a few more, because learning why you prefer one gameplay feature over another is super meaningful. Also, sometimes it can be pretty fun, too.

So we're probably better off trying to convince console makes to add a 5th button to the right side of their controllers... and then Blizz will have an epiphany - "WoW! We should add a 7th skill to use the new button!"
Reply Quote
Many of the higher damage skills have 30+ sec cool downs in this game...giving the players another extra skill slot would go a long way toward build variety that includes those skills.

With the removal of "perma WOTB" for example...would it be worth it to have that skill in your set up when you're doing Bounties lets say? Maybe not due to the long cooldown...but with the extra slot you can incorporate that skill into your set up without giving up efficiency (of having to drop another skill with a much shorter cooldown.

Same thing for Archon, the new Monk Skill Epiphany, Rain of Vengeance for the DH.

Maybe if the cooldowns were significantly shorter 6 skills is OK....but since we're not discussing CD reductions for the sake of argument that is my main reason to be in favor of adding a 7th active skill.
Reply Quote
A seventh skill slot would be awesome for me.

I really loved summoner in D2 and i always try to play a pet based WD.
But doing so makes my build choices feel extremly limited.

This if what i run with most of the time:
Zombie Bears
Zombie Dog
Gargantuan
Spirit Walk
Soul Harvest (in RoS this will change to Piranha)

This feels mandatory in my endeavor to at least have all pets run around me while still getting to kill and survive monsters.
So i actually get to make only one moody choice in my build. Which is really sad cause there are so many great skills in the Witch Doctors arsenal.

Alternatively if adding a 7th "free choice skill" doesn't work because of active damage buffs (which i don't like to begin with), i strongly support Malakai's proposition of giving each class their trademark mobility skill as extra slot.
Reply Quote

First of all, sorry for my english, it is not my native language, I'm french. By the way, I precise that I speak as a lucky owner of Reaper of Souls beta key so I speak for lvl 70.

I'm going to answer you with a simple fact : there are skills you just simply can't take... I'll take the example of my two favorite classes : monk and witch doctor.

With monk, you have to take at least one mantra I think, that you can use for the 3 sec bonus but not more... Then you have to take something like serenity to keep you alive and then.... that's it, already 2 skills removed... If you take heal in addition, it's 3...

With witch doctor, spirit walk must be taken too and if you want some nice DPS, you have to take soul harvest... Add it like one summone, that's 3 skills you're removing.

I happen too many times to have only 2 skills really actives : left and right click. My others spells are either necessary to survive, either not necessary to cast often (garguantua, mantras, etc...).

With a seventh skill, you can adjust many build, try one skill sometimes, try to do something different. It's not a "must do" thing but for players who already farmed a lot in D3, it's a refreshing thing that's going to entertain us in builds and all that things....

As I said, I have Reaper of Souls and took my witch doctor to lvl 70... The new spell is "fun" but my build is unchanged in the great lines because spells like Spirit Walk, Soul Harvest, Firebats are important .... That means I have 3 spells remaning, sometimes I go with Firebombs, sometimes with Fetich army, sometimes I try something else ... But let's face it, my build is 99% times the same than before.... And it's sad to see that I'm still farmining like before without changing anything, except that I have the adventure mode to do it...

Angelus
Reply Quote
Personally, I feel that instead of giving players a 7th ability of their choosing, a better approach would be to instead give every class a certain mobility-related ability by default. For example:- Wizards get Teleport- Monks get Dashing Strike- Barbarians get Leap- Demon Hunters get Vault- Witch Doctors get Spirit Walk- Crusaders get that horse dash skill (whatever it's called)

++ Do this and bring stamina meter as its "mana pool" for the one skill. You could have a movement skill seperate from the skill choices where one can only select one of two movement skills. This would ensure that groups at least have the ability to fight at the same pace-- they do not currently. On my WD I do more damage over time with Plagued Bats than my Barb does with Rend but even if I have Grave Injustice on with 100 yard radius *impossible* ill still never be able to catch up to their sprint. Barbs are the only ones that can run VSORS runs-- highest exp in game. OfC RoS already addressed Into the Frey which allows for the sustainability but with reduction its not far behind. It would be nice for two classes to have similar longer distance movement.. especially if the theme of the new Diablo is exploratory.

When I said two skills I said this because some classes already have two and it would be nice to be able to choose between (which affectively for you guys doubles the build choice).

Barb: Leap/Sprint (Now I can use Ground Stomp and be technically useful as a teammate)

Monk: Temp Rush/Dash Strike (Exp Palm (extra off), Blinding Light (off/def stun), Intervene(def))

DH: Smoke Screen/Vault (DH needs another skill slot as is because I cant use vault in mp10 if I wanna have caltrops or turrett on with Marked for Death (which is the only way of causing serious Area on Effect damage).

Int classes I have to make up the second:
WD: Jaunt/Cannibal Run [AKA Stalker] ( To be honest if there is one class that I cant see needing another skill its WD and I am fairly fluent in this class - It would help to have skills that are useful rather than fun or cute )

Wiz Teleport/Time shift (new) ( Wiz on live would be amazing to have teleport with my CM build and not have to give up sheild but as per new Wiz are given all these defensive passives a built in movement ( skill dodge ) would be greatly helpful)

I don't know anything about Crusader except their passives seem rediculously OP.

The more slots you add that can be quick key'd to a skill the less skill builds you will have and I believe you guys advertised this on the nearly unlimited ways of customizing your skills. Well if someone could have every skill mapped he would have the exact same amount of choices of skills to use but there would be no defined skill builds just skills. One could look at only being able to use a set number of skills as a sales gimmick but yet another way to look at it is that it promotes group play, especially when playing with teammates of similar class. I really doubt it would work out if there was simply one class with all skills 6 skill categories and a movement skill choice seems reasonable to me.

01/05/2014 07:23 AMPosted by Davlok
So we're probably better off trying to convince console makes to add a 5th button to the right side of their controllers... and then Blizz will have an epiphany - "WoW! We should add a 7th skill to use the new button!"

Davlok.. No, us monks are the ones that have Epiphany.
Reply Quote
as much as I am for a 7th skill slot, right now it would just mean that people would add another dmg dealer that can work together with the main dmg spender, like a DoT skill together with Nuke skill. (for example rend and hota) and apart from that, as many dmg enhancers as possible :p

First the dmg output of mobs has to scale higher, second tactic play has to be made more important (aka insta dmg affixes need to go). Third, skill runes need to be designed more with the thought of possible synergies to other skills and runes than a simple: this falls into this category and we need one of those 6 categories mindset.

THAT would be my main interest for a 7th slot: break that damn idea that each skill has to be in one of 6 categories!!! You may start of designing that skill, but then you mix it up with the runes. Let the players get creative in how they mix it up. GIVE US MORE FREEDOM!!
Edited by page#2841 on 1/5/2014 11:08 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]