Diablo® III

Please update us :-)

On what is happening in regards to servers in Australia or New Zealand? It has been a long time since you provided an update on this.

Will there be servers for RoS, would be nice to know before we make up our minds on buying the product.
Edited by Gibs#1324 on 1/6/2014 6:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
Could I make a suggestion Gibs? If you want to get the attention of Bliz CMs I wouldn't include their name in the title of your post as this is a breach of the forum rules. They read all our posts and they have their reasons for not responding, so patience is the key.
Reply Quote
01/06/2014 07:12 PMPosted by abend
Could I make a suggestion Gibs? If you want to get the attention of Bliz CMs I wouldn't include their name in the title of your post as this is a breach of the forum rules. They read all our posts and they have their reasons for not responding, so patience is the key.

Well if they lock the forum at least they may have read the post. If we received regular updates it wouldn't come to this but oh well....

I just want to know if we can expect our own severs before dropping money on the game TBH I really don't think that is an unreasonable question to ask.
Edited by Gibs#1324 on 1/6/2014 7:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
As abend said it is a CoC issue. The problem is the mods may see it before the blues(they are very different people/jobs).

But that aside, I can guarantee that if Arc had something or was able to say something he would, think about it, he works on all Blizz games for ANZ so is always being asked about ANZ servers, I'm sure he would love to give us good news if he had it.
Reply Quote
01/06/2014 10:53 PMPosted by Narull
I'm sure he would love to give us good news if he had it.

so.... no news is bad news?
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
01/07/2014 03:22 AMPosted by seansky
I'm sure he would love to give us good news if he had it.

so.... no news is bad news?

Personally no news is better then bad news imo. But guess that's personal opinion.
Reply Quote
01/07/2014 03:45 AMPosted by Narull
Personally no news is better then bad news imo. But guess that's personal opinion.

used to think that tbh, but after awhile..... a long while that is.

Is like wife of soldiers that went to war and MIA...... no bad news is good news, for the chance they will emerge one day...... but after a few years, you kind of hope for a closure. You rather had a body to bury.

Not the best example but you know what i mean. :)
Reply Quote
01/07/2014 03:45 AMPosted by Narull

I'm with you there Narull. Bad news to me is "We are DEFINITELY not implementing AU/NZ servers". No news is "We are still weighing up the benefits against the costs".

I'm sure with all the noise AU/NZ players have made over the years RE local servers, if Blizzard decided to go ahead with this, I'm sure they'd announce it instead of waiting to be asked.

Personally, I wouldn't be waiting on an answer before deciding on whether to get RoS or not.

When it comes to internet related matters, AU/NZ will always get the short stick. AU in particular has huge geographical distances to cover around the country already and our population density (even in capital cities) compared to Europe, Asia and the Americas is so much less. It's why our Government has to step in to get a NBN rolled out. If the business feasibility stacked up, the private sector would have done it themselves. Likewise, I do not believe AU/NZ has the critical mass of gamers to make local servers cost effective.

The only real way I believe we'd get local servers is if the AU or NZ Governments made it mandatory that local servers were set up to ensure improved Quality of Service for consumers.
Reply Quote
Is like wife of soldiers that went to war and MIA...... no bad news is good news, for the chance they will emerge one day...... but after a few years, you kind of hope for a closure. You rather had a body to bury.

Not the best example but you know what i mean. :)

While I get your example, I suppose the difference here is that as gamers, we can choose to live with playing the game with no local servers (or not purchasing the game at all) and if we do get local servers, it's only for the better. Existing gamers will see performance improvements whilst gamers on the fence may find it feasible to get the game.

For the wife of a soldier, they could decide to move on, remarry, etc and if their husband comes back, well that's going to turn everything upside down.
Reply Quote
heh nothing to consider there, im getting ros no matter if theres a local server. Ive done 2k hours even without local server anyways. Why would i say no to something that at least fix the loot? :)

But you know...... what is the point blizz trying to make by not saying a word for ~2 years is what im trying to figure out. Theres alot of interpretation we all can make, but the truth is the longer they drag, the less ppl believe they will do anything anyways. It just makes them look even less devoted in this issue. I rather them say they cant provide a server (we all know they wont), but they will take other steps to improve the quality. Such as having more data running on our side (which makes the lag less impactful on the game play). It will make them look better to the aussie gamers, well most of them.

Again, either way it will not affect my pre order of a CE version from EB games. For me it is just a loose end i rather see it tied up. atm it only appear like blizz not giving an answer only to string ppl along. I admit i have no idea how development process goes, but it just makes them look bad to the lay people.
Reply Quote
The community managers are pretty poor at giving updates in general. Going silent and ignoring the community is just lame and makes people angry better to be honest and show some integrity rather than making a post about it every 12 months or so.

Hard to respect the blues when they just string us along year after year
Reply Quote
01/07/2014 06:13 AMPosted by seansky
But you know...... what is the point blizz trying to make by not saying a word for ~2 years is what im trying to figure out. Theres alot of interpretation we all can make, but the truth is the longer they drag, the less ppl believe they will do anything anyways. It just makes them look even less devoted in this issue.

01/07/2014 01:55 PMPosted by Gibs
The community managers are pretty poor at giving updates in general. Going silent and ignoring the community is just lame and makes people angry better to be honest and show some integrity rather than making a post about it every 12 months or so.

Hard to respect the blues when they just string us along year after year

Yup. But it's really not the blues I don't respect - they're just the front-end of Blizzard's complete apathy to AusNZ.
Reply Quote
It’s hard to say...
Something we could explore...
Something we talk about a lot in the office...
Definitely on the table...
We want to make sure we make the right choice...
It’s certainly possible...

Take your pick.

I wouldn't count on an update anytime soon, let alone seeing them set up servers here.

Arc made a statement about this in November 2012:

11/08/2012 07:02 PMPosted by Arcagnion
This is something I will relay back. Usually we would never recommend a third party service within a product though. Oceania servers are not off the table, but it also isn't a quick fix. Will know more details early next year.

Just like PvP, it never happened.

It wasn't until July 2013 until we got this:

07/02/2013 11:55 PMPosted by Arcagnion
The straight up answer is that we are still going through tech details to see if this is viable. We have made changes to improve latency that from the feedback we have had on this forum has helped for some. When I have a update I'll be posting it here for sure.

Then at Blizzcon:

I've lost a few characters to lag spikes. Is there any architectural improvement to prevent DC deaths?
We look at each and every report we get. Australia has quite a lot of such issues and we're trying everything to solve these issues.

Sounds like they're trying everything that avoids having to set up servers here.

What's the bloody problem? ISPs being jerks? Can't find a suitable data centre? Too expensive? This whole issue is just one slow moving car crash.
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 1/7/2014 2:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'm sure that if a local server was being planned, Arcagnion would be the first to tell us. So until he does, it's safest to assume that it's not happening. Don't pick on him though, this isn't something he can control. Yes, he could give another update, but if it adds nothing to previous communications, why would he?
Reply Quote
Community Manager
01/07/2014 02:20 PMPosted by gooball
Yes, he could give another update, but if it adds nothing to previous communications, why would he?

Unfortunately this is a major reason why we can't post about this regularly. When a blue posts it can be brought up months/years later and how annoying would it be to say every week or so 'We have nothing to announce at this time'?

Btw, we have nothing to announce at this time.

Does this mean that we have given up on ever having local hardware for Diablo III in the ANZ region? Absolutely not, but until we get a definite yes or no answer either way I can't add anything else to the communication. Just know that the ANZ team is working hard to provide a improved experience for our players in the region, and if you think that's just a PR statement, it isn't.
Edited by Arcagnion on 1/7/2014 9:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/07/2014 09:39 PMPosted by Arcagnion
Yes, he could give another update, but if it adds nothing to previous communications, why would he?

Unfortunately this is a major reason why we can't post about this regularly. When a blue posts it can be brought up months/years later and how annoying would it be to say every week or so 'We have nothing to announce at this time'?

Does this mean that we have given up on ever having local hardware for Diablo III in the ANZ region? Absolutely not, but until we get a definite yes or no answer either way I can't add anything else to the communication. Just know that the ANZ team is working hard to provide a improved experience for our players in the region, and if you think that's just a PR statement, it isn't.

Thank you for the update it does make a difference when considering whether or not to buy the game. Must be a really long feasibility study you guys are running...........
Reply Quote
01/07/2014 10:33 PMPosted by Gibs
Must be a really long feasibility study you guys are running...........

Meanwhile, an Oceania based server for League of Legends has been running since mid-2013...
Reply Quote
01/07/2014 09:39 PMPosted by Arcagnion

I think it really depends on the context of the blue post. If the CM posts "we'll have an update early next year" (a few months) and the community doesn't hear back for over a year, what do you expect? Even a "nothing eventuated from that investigation" is an update.

Look at all the latency issues people have been posting about recently. This "we're still looking into it" response is exactly why people look at games like PoE and LoL. Since release (over 18 months), ANZ is pretty much still left holding the bag - it's our ISP/computer/<insert non-Blizzard reason>.

01/07/2014 10:33 PMPosted by Gibs
Must be a really long feasibility study you guys are running...

1000x this. As Hypersonic said, this is just one epicly slow car crash.
Reply Quote
I would have been just happy if they included an offline version.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]