Diablo® III

Please update us :-)

If ANZ D3 players got a local server first, WoW players on Oceania realms would be rioting on their forums.
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 1/11/2014 11:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/11/2014 11:52 PMPosted by Hypersonic
If ANZ D3 players got a local server first, WoW players on Oceania realms would be rioting on their forums.

No doubt they would build the infrastructure for all platforms ------> it is not as expensive as Blizzard makes out much smaller companies can afford to do it
Reply Quote
01/12/2014 12:07 PMPosted by Gibs
No doubt they would build the infrastructure for all platforms ------> it is not as expensive as Blizzard makes out much smaller companies can afford to do it

WoW has been running for over 9 years and players have been wanting actual Oceania realms ever since. All they got were US based realms adjusted to AEST.

WoW has made a ton of money for Blizzard. And if setting up servers here is so affordable, where the bloody hell are they? If they won't set them up here for WoW, what chance does D3 have?
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 1/12/2014 1:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/12/2014 01:20 PMPosted by Hypersonic

WoW has been running for over 9 years and players have been wanting actual Oceania realms ever since. All they got were US based realms adjusted to AEST.

WoW has made a ton of money for Blizzard. And if setting up servers here is so affordable, where the bloody hell are they? If they won't set them up here for WoW, what chance does D3 have?

Maybe Blizzard simply thinks there games are so good people will play them anyway, therefore why spend the money? The fact small niche games can afford servers should raise the alarm bells.
Reply Quote
01/12/2014 03:18 PMPosted by Gibs
The fact small niche games can afford servers should raise the alarm bells.

OK, I have to intervene again...

Here's my guess in this little conspiracy theory game you all have going here: Blizzard could implement local servers by having an Oceania realm, but it would contain such a small player base that it's not worth it from their perspective - most people would play in a realm where there are more players (i.e. Americas). Alternatively, having local servers connected to the Americas realm would probably bring about the same issues we currently face.

Small niche games can have local servers BECAUSE they are small and niche. The kind of local server implementation Blizzard would need would probably be quite complex in comparison. Plus, they would need to do this across all games. The comparison is not at all useful to make.
Reply Quote
have to agree with abend on this here tbh. We had our chance, they gave us RMAH that uses aussie dollar as default, and most of us end up switching over to US dollars?
Reply Quote
01/12/2014 03:47 PMPosted by seansky
We had our chance, they gave us RMAH that uses aussie dollar as default, and most of us end up switching over to US dollars?

Having an AUD RMAH did not improve game performance - it gave Blizzard an idea of how much we were willing to spend.

When playing the market - you want a liquid market, with a high volume of trades - more buyers and sellers etc... AUD market did not provide that and those who used the RMAH went to the more liquid market.

When playing Diablo 3 - you want to play in a lag free (or minimised) environment... we currently do not have that - and while we can choose to play in Europe or Aisa, language barriers present some difficulties and there isn't really any improvement in lag

While I agree with Abend - they would have to set up servers for all of their games, not just D3, how many of us would still want to play with US friends (how many of us have US friends?). If there was a big enough support base to justify having a server for D3, SC, WOW etc - would we all use it? or would be go looking for more people to play with?
Edited by NickBaldyM#6414 on 1/12/2014 6:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
I don't believe we need a server which only caters for Aus/NZ players.

What we really are asking for is a faster connection to the US servers, if this can be achieved, great
Reply Quote
If there was a big enough support base to justify having a server for D3, SC, WOW etc - would we all use it? or would be go looking for more people to play with?

This is why I would still play Americas even if there were Oceania servers. I still have lots of good friends from the US I like to play with.

01/13/2014 06:25 PMPosted by JohnnyDingo
What we really are asking for is a faster connection to the US servers, if this can be achieved, great

HAHA! True, but this is definitely pie in the sky.

Part of the problem is probably in Australia though. Different ISPs use different local routes to the US and some are worse than others. This is why you have some people like me who have few lag spikes and others who have many. Resetting my modem usually kills any lag spikes on my end as a new IP address usually means new routes.
Reply Quote
Posted by JohnnyDingoWhat we really are asking for is a faster connection to the US servers, if this can be achieved, greatHAHA! True, but this is definitely pie in the sky.

so if one ISP could do a BLIZZARD plan... ISP gateway direct to their hosting site.... with minimal hops... all would be well - just need customers :)
Reply Quote
01/13/2014 06:25 PMPosted by JohnnyDingo
I don't believe we need a server which only caters for Aus/NZ players.

Actually we are asking for a server located in AU/NZ. There is no other way to get the low latency experience - the limitation is the speed of light over that distance. They could give us a dedicated server in a US data center and it would do exactly what it did for WoW - bupkis.
Reply Quote
I had actually never thought to check what the "best case scenario" was for our latency in Aus. With Servers in US, that's approx. 15000km away.... dividing by speed of light that's about 50ms. So in a perfect set-up with no processing times or anything that's still 100ms ping which is already too high. Of course, such a set-up can't actually exist, and I think 250ms is about average. I'm kind of shocked that Blizzard can even sell Diablo III as a product in Aus...
Reply Quote
100ms or less is what we need
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
. Just know that the ANZ team is working hard to provide a improved experience for our players in the region, and if you think that's just a PR statement, it isn't.

Thanks Arcaignon.

Can we get more detail please? For the record, we have been hearing this before and would appreciate an idea of just what you are planning to do.

Improved experience how?

Gameplay?
Lag?
Disconnections?

What is being addressed and can we have more information please?
Edited by Bretanus12#1482 on 2/15/2014 5:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 12:51 AMPosted by Mirisanelle
. Just know that the ANZ team is working hard to provide a improved experience for our players in the region, and if you think that's just a PR statement, it isn't.

Thanks Arcaignon.

Can we get more detail please? For the record, we have been hearing this before and would appreciate an idea of just what you are planning to do.

Improved experience how?

Gameplay?
Lag?
Disconnections?

What is being addressed and can we have more information please?

Cold shoulder much?
Reply Quote
Ultimately I can't see how this is any game companies problem. AUS / NZ need to invest in modern infrastructure or we will be left behind, as sadly we already are. You don't ring up Holden or Ford to ask them to build better roads; especially now.

Whilst offline play would be nice it would make piracy and cheating rampant and that is bad for everyone. If my income was stolen I would take measures to prevent theft. If my work was compromised or perverted in such a way as to make it meaningless I would explore measures to protect my hard work.

As for local servers, I have friends on ADSL (not ADSL2) that get crap connects to local game servers. While local servers would help more of us; its an interim solution.

We get the government we vote for; maybe we are all in the wrong forum.
Reply Quote
According to ZiggyD, the aussie Twitch streamer, there'll be no aussie/nz server at this time, after his twitch/devs stream the other day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT7bL8jwthc
Reply Quote
that is really sad news.. you wanna play, at the same time, whats the point. i for one wanted the best for the game, but i hope no one plays in Australia to show a message.
Reply Quote
02/21/2014 04:01 AMPosted by ViKata
Ultimately I can't see how this is any game companies problem. AUS / NZ need to invest in modern infrastructure or we will be left behind, as sadly we already are. You don't ring up Holden or Ford to ask them to build better roads; especially now.

Whilst offline play would be nice it would make piracy and cheating rampant and that is bad for everyone. If my income was stolen I would take measures to prevent theft. If my work was compromised or perverted in such a way as to make it meaningless I would explore measures to protect my hard work.

As for local servers, I have friends on ADSL (not ADSL2) that get crap connects to local game servers. While local servers would help more of us; its an interim solution.

We get the government we vote for; maybe we are all in the wrong forum.

Good luck breaking the speed of light....or being able to transfer data seamlessly without slowing down said speed of light either.
Edited by Gibs#1324 on 2/23/2014 12:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/07/2014 09:39 PMPosted by Arcagnion
01/07/2014 02:20 PMPosted by gooball
Yes, he could give another update, but if it adds nothing to previous communications, why would he?

Unfortunately this is a major reason why we can't post about this regularly. When a blue posts it can be brought up months/years later and how annoying would it be to say every week or so 'We have nothing to announce at this time'?

Btw, we have nothing to announce at this time.

Does this mean that we have given up on ever having local hardware for Diablo III in the ANZ region? Absolutely not, but until we get a definite yes or no answer either way I can't add anything else to the communication. Just know that the ANZ team is working hard to provide a improved experience for our players in the region, and if you think that's just a PR statement, it isn't.

Sounds like Blizzard Irvine have you on ignore.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]