Diablo® III

How is legendary/normal crafting going to work?

So I am interested to know how does crafting work currently on D3V PTR build and on RoS release.

A) The item stats rolls/lvl depends on the character level. So lets say sets like Cain's blablabla that are low level currently on D3V live server are going to roll with ilvl60~63 when crafted by a level 60 character.

B) Crafting recipes for legendary/set items can drop on any level and thus you can craft one piece on lets say lvl30, or craft it on lvl60.

C) No changes to the crafting there are just new legendary recipes, that drop on RoS.

My question is because I've seen screenshots of a legendary craft that is a low level recipe, but had rolls for lvl70 character. Is this again RoS exclusive feature or the item might've been reforged? Though I didn't see signs of something like that, the item wasn't reforged.
Edited by DeAdLiNe#1775 on 1/7/2014 4:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
Community Manager
The item stats rolls/lvl depends on the character level

The item's stats are rolled based on the character that's crafting it, using the Smart Drop system in Loot 2.0, but the level is static to the recipe used to craft the item. This means if you know how to craft a level 61 Belt, for instance, it will always produce a level 61 belt. However, a Wizard crafting that belt will receive one with stats on it that benefit him most, such as Intelligence or bonus damage to one of their skills, while a Demon Hunter will receive Dexterity or an appropriate bonus damage affix. (There are other combinations possible when crafting, I'm just using these as possible examples!)

01/07/2014 04:30 PMPosted by DeAdLiNe
Crafting recipes for legendary/set items can drop on any level and thus you can craft one piece on lets say lvl30, or craft it on lvl60.

I don't believe that Legendary patterns will have a chance to drop at every level, but I'm doing some double checking to be sure. What I can share in the mean time is that the old patterns, such as the Cain's Fate set, will continue to craft level 25 versions of the gear. In addition, new level 70 versions for many legacy Legendary patterns will also be available to acquire.

Normal Legendary drops, such as Magefist , however, will have a chance to drop starting at it's original level (in this case, 19) and any level thereafter. That might be where some of the confusion is arising. =)

01/07/2014 04:30 PMPosted by DeAdLiNe
No changes to the crafting there are just new legendary recipes, that drop on RoS.

Crafting's getting a pretty extensive overhaul. There's a small peek at what's coming in the Patch 2.0.1 PTR/Closed Beta notes, but in summary: new recipes, upgraded versions of existing recipes, consolidated crafting materials, and smart drops applying to crafting are all upcoming changes. Bear in mind that recipes for levels 61+ will be exclusive to those with the Reaper of Souls expansion, but the other changes will come in the pre-expansion patch for all players.
Reply Quote
So what happens if we find a plan with the new smart drop system that we've already learned in "vanilla"? Does the new plan effectively replace the old one, or will it be counted as an entire separate plan? I'm not in the ROS beta, so maybe someone who is can chime in?
Edited by Hutch#1299 on 1/7/2014 7:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
im finding some set and legendary recipes in the PTR that haven't been reworked at all. are you still working on those (hopefully)? Others are very awesome. I crafted some fun hallowed weapons, but didn't get anything to roll over 970 DPS. any chance you guys would be willing to up that so that we can get a higher base damage or higher elemental or % damage on crafted stuff to make them competitive with things that drop?

Some of us are happy with being able to craft all our own stuff and still be powerhouses.
Reply Quote
01/07/2014 06:32 PMPosted by Nevalistis
The item's stats are rolled based on the character that's crafting it, using the Smart Drop system in Loot 2.0, but the level is static to the recipe used to craft the item. This means if you know how to craft a level 61 Belt, for instance, it will always produce a level 61 belt. However, a Wizard crafting that belt will receive one with stats on it that benefit him most, such as Intelligence or bonus damage to one of their skills, while a Demon Hunter will receive Dexterity or an appropriate bonus damage affix. (There are other combinations possible when crafting, I'm just using these as possible examples!)

I do understand the smart loot will roll class primary stats. I was wondering in what range will stats roll. If its lvl 31 item, it will have stats range for this level, or the stats range depends on the level of the character crafting them.
Reply Quote

At this time, this is not true.
I have crafted several set/legendary/class items, with just Viat, no class stat at all.

I might add, I have closed beta.
Edited by swords#1453 on 1/8/2014 1:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/08/2014 02:57 AMPosted by DeAdLiNe

I do understand the smart loot will roll class primary stats. I was wondering in what range will stats roll. If its lvl 31 item, it will have stats range for this level, or the stats range depends on the level of the character crafting them.

if your level 60/70 and you craft a level 30 belt your going to get a level 30 belt with level 30 stats.
Reply Quote
01/08/2014 04:45 AMPosted by Reaper

if your level 60/70 and you craft a level 30 belt your going to get a level 30 belt with level 30 stats.

I accept that is how it is working on the test server now. But given what they have done with legendary drops I really wonder why they have done it this way, it seems a great waste of an opportunity to make crafting more useful.

Having a minimum level and crafting it at the crafter's level (with scaling costs) would seem far more in keeping with what they have done with the other legendaries
Reply Quote
I don't believe that Legendary patterns will have a chance to drop at every level, but I'm doing some double checking to be sure. What I can share in the mean time is that the old patterns, such as the Cain's Fate set, will continue to craft level 25 versions of the gear. In addition, new level 70 versions for many legacy Legendary patterns will also be available to acquire.

Normal Legendary drops, such as [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/magefist"]Magefist [/url], however, will have a chance to drop starting at it's original level (in this case, 19) and any level thereafter. That might be where some of the confusion is arising. =)
...well crap. I was looking forward to being able to upgrade my Crusader on his journey to level 70 with Cain's Set.

So...I am correct in saying that the current version of Cain's set will produce the exact same items now as they will in both ROS and Loot 2.0 regardless of character level?
Reply Quote

I accept that is how it is working on the test server now. But given what they have done with legendary drops I really wonder why they have done it this way, it seems a great waste of an opportunity to make crafting more useful.

Having a minimum level and crafting it at the crafter's level (with scaling costs) would seem far more in keeping with what they have done with the other legendaries

Totally agree. In a game in which there is no reason to reroll and start a new character from the same class(having in mind most players have all classes to lvl 60), really makes such items obsolete. It would be nice if these crafted legendary items, roll stats depending on the level of the character crafting them. Actually while we are at it, maybe crafted(at least legendary ones, since some of them require legendary craft pieces) items shouldn't have level, they only depend on your character level. This way you can craft whatever item you like on low level character and on higher level and that item would still be viable.
Edited by DeAdLiNe#1775 on 1/8/2014 6:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
I don't believe that Legendary patterns will have a chance to drop at every level, but I'm doing some double checking to be sure.

They should be able to drop at every level. Otherwise the only way to farm the low level patterns will be to keep creating new characters and deleting them as soon as they reach high enough level for the plan you want to no longer drop. I want to find all those old school plans like Cain's that cost beez on the AH or are straight up unavailable for purchase due to scarcity.
Reply Quote
I picked up a few legendary plans that I already "knew" on the ptr the other day. It did not allow me to relearn them, so yeah. It's the same stuff. As far as I know.

I think there's going to be new higher level versions of the under sixty sets, right?

Anyway, legendary crafting is awesome as far as I can tell. The seven sins were amazing. The wondrous deflectors were pretty ok. Gehennas were so-so.

I leveled up a few characters and the lower level plans crafted pretty nice things when it was level appropriate. I didn't attempt to craft them at a higher level other than a pair of Asheara's boots at level 60. Stats seemed pretty consistent with the level it was, so I'm pretty sure they roll stats at item level, not character level.

I wouldn't rush out to buy these things though. They seem to drop, plan wise, fairly regularly.
Reply Quote
01/08/2014 06:23 AMPosted by Tzenesh

Normal Legendary drops, such as [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/magefist"]Magefist [/url], however, will have a chance to drop starting at it's original level (in this case, 19) and any level thereafter. That might be where some of the confusion is arising. =)
...well crap. I was looking forward to being able to upgrade my Crusader on his journey to level 70 with Cain's Set.

So...I am correct in saying that the current version of Cain's set will produce the exact same items now as they will in both ROS and Loot 2.0 regardless of character level?

Have to hate it when they fix possible exploits.
Reply Quote
I posted this concern:

Crafting not consistent w/ Smart Drops

Crafting an item based on the lvl of the recipe that is found is not consistent. You should be able to craft the items base on your lvl, not the recipe lvl. If I want to a Helm of Command lvl 70 then I need to find a lvl 70 recipe. Where if I'm lvl 70 and I get a leg to drop it will be lvl 70. This seems inconsistent to me.

The problem is that one would have to find a recipe lvl 61 for 61 craftable item, 62 for 62, 63 for 63, etc.... The recipes drop as often a legs do, which means not often. So finding a 70 for 70 may never happen. Where I believe that one recipe should craft at your lvl. That is essence of the Smart Drop design.
Reply Quote
No, that's a gimme. If plans crafted at your level you'd only ever need one plan per slot; at all levels. After a few months you would be able to point at each slot and say "I know exactly what everyone's going to be wearing" from level 1 to level 69. At seventy some of those torment legs would start to take over.
Edited by LittlePriest#1577 on 1/9/2014 9:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
Well either you can craft them on every level, depending on your character or make legendary patterns to drop at higher lvls 60-70, so that you cannot craft them with low level characters and never use normal drops. But IMO, since they require some legendary pieces to be crafted it isn't that big of an issue.
Reply Quote
I have a serious question regarding cains fate. Will the new versions of the set be available to those who use the cains fate before 2.0.1? This is very important to me being that I spend 2 billion gold on the item and now it seems you are just going to make it obsolete. Please take into consideration that many people have spent hundreds of dollars on these items. Thanks
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]