Diablo® III

Crusaders>Paladins

I would have a real chuckle if Crusaders get a skill called "Blessed Flail".
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Hnng. Nope. Can't resist the pull of lore!

01/15/2014 08:42 PMPosted by Aruul
Also, what are the Origins of the Light? What is the "Light" from the High Heavens, and where does it come from?

I covered a little bit about the Light and the tenants of the Zakarum faith a bit earlier today, but I'll rephrase so it more applies to your questions.

The following is covered in The Book of Cain. When Sanctuary's universe was first created, there was but one being: The One or Anu. Anu warred with himself, and eventually cast out his darkness, forming the beast Tathamet. These two aspects battled for centuries, and when they finally both perished, their remains formed what we know of as the High Heavens and the Burning Hells.

The remains of Anu leaked forth the Light which formed into Angels and the High Heavens. This Light currently emanates from the Crystal Arch (which is said to be the backbone of Anu, as someone mentioned above).

The Light that the Zakarum refers to, however, refers to the Light that exists within each human. This could be referencing as far back as the origin of Sanctuary, in which case the Light could be the remnants of the angelic bloodlines that helped create the original nephalem. It's a bit open to interpretation at this point, as is common with most faiths, fictitious or otherwise. =)
Edited by Lylirra on 1/17/2014 2:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
A Prime Angel... now that would be a nice place for our Nephalem to sit... leading all of the light from his/her thrown in the High Heavens...
Reply Quote
01/17/2014 02:51 PMPosted by Nevalistis

Lol. Nice avatar!
Reply Quote
if we can make a paralel pallys are spess mehreens and crusaders are gray knights, and the emprah is what they worship IMO
Reply Quote
Nevalistis:

Glad to see you finally got an Avatar. How about getting us out of our beta avatars now? It would gain you a LOT of street cred. ;)
Reply Quote

Also, what are the Origins of the Light? What is the "Light" from the High Heavens, and where does it come from?

I covered a little bit about the Light and the tenants of the Zakarum faith a [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11224103008#10"]bit earlier today[/url], but I'll rephrase so it more applies to your questions.

The following is covered in The Book of Cain. When Sanctuary's universe was first created, there was but one being: The One or Anu. Anu warred with himself, and eventually cast out his darkness, forming the beast Tathamet. These two aspects battled for centuries, and when they finally both perished, their remains formed what we know of as the High Heavens and the Burning
Hells.

The remains of Anu leaked forth the Light which formed into Angels and the High Heavens. This Light currently emanates from the Crystal Arch (which is said to be the backbone of Anu, as someone mentioned above).

The Light that the Zakarum refers to, however, refers to the Light that exists within each human. This could be referencing as far back as the origin of Sanctuary, in which case the Light could be the remnants of the angelic bloodlines that helped create the original nephalem. It's a bit open to interpretation at this point, as is common with most faiths, fictitious or otherwise. =)

Every Nephalem the path his own...
Reply Quote
[quote="112038131367so by my understanding, there are no actual gods just angels and demons and what ever between them[/quote]

That's not accurate. We have the so called "dragons", supposed guardians of sanctuary and worlds like it. They're no part of the great conflict between the heavens and hell. Not much is known about them; won't be surprised if one of the future diablo games would be about them getting fed up with those wacky angels/demons.

There are other mentions of gods, though it's implied that in most cases they were inspired by angels/demons in disguise.

Also, Anuu (whose spine forms the crystal arch, supposedly) and Thetamat (am I spelling this right) whose corpse formed the hells, are technically the same guy. So in some way, all of creation was formed by a schizophrenic deity who committed suicide...
Reply Quote
I noticed in several threads people are confusing humans=nephalem. To my knowledge that is not the case. Nephalem refers to the direct offspring of angel+demon (who are the progenitors of humans), and the term is also lent to describe individuals who have attained similar power levels. That is why the D3 hero being a nephalem is such a big deal; there hasn't been one in a good long while. To my knowledge, Aidan wasn't one and neither were the D2 heroes.

As for crusaders>paladins? Maybe compared to the eastern paladins. I still have faith in the renowned "knights of Westmarch" who flipped off the corrupt khanduras theocracy, so they can defend the common folk.
Reply Quote
01/17/2014 05:33 PMPosted by Kerensky
I noticed in several threads people are confusing humans=nephalem. To my knowledge that is not the case. Nephalem refers to the direct offspring of angel+demon (who are the progenitors of humans), and the term is also lent to describe individuals who have attained similar power levels. That is why the D3 hero being a nephalem is such a big deal; there hasn't been one in a good long while. To my knowledge, Aidan wasn't one and neither were the D2 heroes.

As for crusaders>paladins? Maybe compared to the eastern paladins. I still have faith in the renowned "knights of Westmarch" who flipped off the corrupt khanduras theocracy, so they can defend the common folk.

how about barb I wonder? Bearing in mind he was one of the characters in d2 as well.
Reply Quote
01/17/2014 06:03 PMPosted by donk

how about barb I wonder? Bearing in mind he was one of the characters in d2 as well.

The Worldstone.

In D3 we learn that the worldstone was created to subdue the powers of the Nephalem, which is why in D2 the "Ancients" are extremely powerful beings as they were born before the worldstone was created.

In the end of D2, Tyrael was forced to destroy the worldstone in order to stop the corruption of Baal.

In the beginning of D3 we learn from the back stories of our characters-- the grayscale flash of images-- how they are above and beyond the skill level of their peers. Through D3 we find out that our heros are truly Nephalem, being born into this world without the Worldstone.

So, The Barbarians in D2 are the same clan of Barbarians in D3 but now they are born as Nephalem instead of humans.

I'm not 100% sure on the timeline of events, maybe the heros did not need to be born as Nephalem, maybe they are just exceptional enough to take advantage of their new found freedom. Either way, your answer is The Worldstone.
Reply Quote

In the Book of Cain it is said that after Uldyssian's final sacrifice, his energie still floats over sanctuario. Isn't this remaining energie the light they refer to?

01/17/2014 09:23 PMPosted by Shunsin
So, The Barbarians in D2 are the same clan of Barbarians in D3 but now they are born as Nephalem instead of humans.

I think that all humans are nephalem but the most of them without great powers. Like you mentioned, Inarius used the worldstone to subdue the powers of the nephalem.
But then Uldyssian altered the worldstone to reactivate the powers. It went to fast, they had no time to accumulate to the new power and it nearly ended with the destruction of Sanctuario.
After Uldyssian's sacrifice to safe Sanctuario, the angles erased all of the memories and went on.
But since then, the nephalem powers in humans were evolving again. (If neither Inarius could repair the worldstone, why should the others?- correct me if I'm wrong)
Edited by Siggi#2209 on 1/18/2014 3:36 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]