Diablo® III

Indie studio vs AAA studio (or Passion vs Bottom Line)

01/22/2014 12:44 PMPosted by Altruistic
Video games apparently cost so much money to make and game companies are now beholden to shareholders.

The way games used to be made was simply "let's make the best game possible and the sales will come".

Now, because of the cost of producing these high-end games, return on investment is the first concern and making the game actually good is secondary.

Don't get me wrong, they have always wanted to make money. But there is a huge difference between the first and second ideal.

To be completely honest, the consumers' concern with graphical quality, voice acting, etc. has driven developers to focus more on things that will hype or sell the game than actually being concerned with quality. In other words, we are getting what we asked for.

D3 is one of the most glaring examples of this in recent memory.

I'm afraid you're right. My own Dad is guilty for this. He will refuse to play a game if he doesn't like the graphics. For him, graphics, voice acting and game immersion are the most important aspects of a game.

It's almost like he wants to play an interactive movie, instead of an interesting game where the core mechanics are fun and engaging.
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 09:38 AMPosted by AlienOne
There are a lot of people out there that got upset by the banks playing around with people's money like it didn't matter, but we don't seem to have the same problem with big-name game developers.

Well, with regards to this particular point in your post, the comparison is faulty.

A) Banks played around with peoples' money without their permission and with full knowledge that their actions could literally ruin the lives of tens (hundreds?) of millions of people across the world.

B) Blizzard sold you a product you don't feel is up to par.

I think you can see the difference; one caused hundreds of millions of people to lose their life savings, homes, jobs, possibly even their health. The other cost you 60 bucks.

Not the same at all, in either effect, scope, or cause.
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 01:17 PMPosted by Forge
Something that I find funny and ironic is, if you think about it...

LoL came from WC3.
Now Blizzard is making Heroes of the Storm, which came from LoL, which came from their own game.

That amuses the hell out of me.

620m in 1 year . that's why, i bet they kick themselves daily.

imagine if blizz turned sc map editor into its own game with community created stuffs.. oh boy. let me get a kickstarter going
Reply Quote
PoE is leap and bounds better than D3. I still like Diablo, but I converted over to PoE since it was released on steam. PoE is completely free and is infinitely better than D3. I don't understand why people still play D3

I just re-installed D3 recently and tried to play it again, I cant go back to this game after playing PoE
Edited by saalem#1701 on 1/22/2014 3:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 01:05 PMPosted by AlienOne
I am an older man whos gf only lets them play about 4 hours a week,

Off topic, but why? As long as your taking care of responsibilities, who care's.
I'm lucky. I have no kids and only work 40 hr weeks with a gf that is a homebody like me. I play games an average of 25 hours/week.
Reply Quote

Off topic, but why? As long as your taking care of responsibilities, who care's.
I'm lucky. I have no kids and only work 40 hr weeks with a gf that is a homebody like me. I play games an average of 25 hours/week.

It's harder to game when you love someone who isn't a gamer, and isn't a homebody. My gf is an extrovert that loves to go out and do things and "experience the world!" I don't mind spending the time with her (all adds up to great memories!), but in the end, I am an introvert, and I need my own "recharge time" after dealing with so much activity and people. So, I use my "me" time for gaming, which only equates to maybe 4-10 hours a week at most (if I'm lucky).

Hey, I'm not complaining though... I count my blessings, and I love my gf. I just am forever stuck in "you will never have any of the good stuff" hell, so I sometimes watch the Twitch/YouTube streamers who do have the good stuff with a bit of jealousy and live vicariously through them...haha

/end of off topic discussion
Edited by AlienOne#1844 on 1/22/2014 7:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 12:51 PMPosted by Forge
So, if a company's bottom line is money, how are we as a concerned customer supposed to demand a higher quality product when they make lots of money anyway from the masses who will inevitably buy their product regardless?

Eventually customers may wise up to these snake-oil scams. The consumers at the end of the day dictate how well a game sells, not the developer, not the publisher, and certainly not the president.

I think that most of us are aware of how activision/blizzard/vivendi/omnicorp operate. In the last decade I have purchased 2 games that were associated with this company, and both were sub-par on a good day.

Want to know how to make an impact on a company? Boycott a product for a whole month. Most companies pride themselves on their initial sales. They have nothing to say if initial sales are as mediocre as the product they are trying to pass off as "entertainment".

Diablo is a HUGE name, and they could have slapped that name on an even crappier product, and probably would have made as much. Omni-corp is interested in making an "OK" product for many millions versus making a great product because they were able to.

I guess that the devs hands are tied in this. Anyone who read's any of "Bobby K's" quotes knows that the mission of "Omnicorp" is to make money, and to keep their developers in fear for their jobs.
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 03:24 PMPosted by Socs

Protip:

As soon as RoS is released, you better make sure you play an even number of hours ( 24 OR 26), otherwise you are gonna loose 1 hour of farming. 24 hours is gonna get you 12 legendarys but if you want 13 you are gonna have to farm up to 26.

Yeah i know it sounds funny but oh well...
Reply Quote
There are a lot of people out there that got upset by the banks playing around with people's money like it didn't matter, but we don't seem to have the same problem with big-name game developers.

Well, with regards to this particular point in your post, the comparison is faulty.

A) Banks played around with peoples' money without their permission and with full knowledge that their actions could literally ruin the lives of tens (hundreds?) of millions of people across the world.

B) Blizzard sold you a product you don't feel is up to par.

I think you can see the difference; one caused hundreds of millions of people to lose their life savings, homes, jobs, possibly even their health. The other cost you 60 bucks.

Not the same at all, in either effect, scope, or cause.

I don't know any other way to put this, but you completely missed the point. I wasn't trying to make a comparison about how many people lost life savings, homes, jobs, health, whatever (try reading what the topic is about maybe?)... I was talking about financial responsibility. Both banks and Blizzard are not displaying it. Sure, banks did not show financial responsibility with people's money on a larger scale, but both are not showing financial responsibility. I suppose Blizzard could be the equivalent of one bank who has hundreds of millions of customers who deposit their money in the hopes that their investment pays off, but the point I originally made for the purpose of this thread stands--a large corporation (bank, Blizzard, whatever you want to put in here for "large corporation") is taking money from people with their trust that the money will be spent responsibly. People want a return for their investment. If the banks are causing people to lose their life savings, they're not investing/spending the money wisely. If Blizzard is spending money on, say, parties for random YouTube streamers as opposed to hiring a few more people to get updates/fixes for a sub-par game (in comparison with what their standards are) out faster to the gaming community, perhaps they're not spending their money wisely.

It is up to the consumer to decide.
Edited by AlienOne#1844 on 1/23/2014 5:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
ya indie games are going to become the AAA game and the AAA studio are to become the FFF games
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 has awesome mechanics. The response and collision detection in Diablo 3 is top notch and everyone can take note about what they need to achieve in this area.
In Path of Exile, as a Melee/Healer/Party buff character (Templar), I get frustrated with the poor collision detection. I swing at an enemy and it has no effect so I have to move around and realign myself and by that time the party has killed it and moved on.

In Diablo 3 when everyone is spamming attacks the screen sometimes seems too washed out and I cannot tell where my character is and where the enemy is.
In Path of Exile this is much worse.

Diablo 3 has map icons showing the direction of other party members.
Path of exile does not. I join a party and the mission is often finished before I can find the party. I have to ask the other members to open a Scroll Portal and those are very scarce.

Diablo 3 ensures that I get my share of the loot.
In Path of Exile it is not uncommon for all the loot to be taken by one or two and Iam forced to trade to progress. Also prices have inflated.
Edited by BrokenWings#1988 on 1/23/2014 12:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 12:52 PMPosted by BrokenWings
Diablo 3 has awesome mechanics. The response and collision detection in Diablo 3 is top notch and everyone can take note about what they need to achieve in this area.
In Path of Exile, as a Melee/Healer/Party buff character (Templar), I get frustrated with the poor collision detection. I swing at an enemy and it has no effect so I have to move around and realign myself and by that time the party has killed it and moved on.

In Diablo 3 when everyone is spamming attacks the screen sometimes seems too washed out and I cannot tell where my character is and where the enemy is.
In Path of Exile this is much worse.

Diablo 3 has map icons showing the direction of other party members.
Path of exile does not. I join a party and the mission is often finished before I can find the party. I have to ask the other members to open a Scroll Portal and those are very scarce.

Diablo 3 ensures that I get my share of the loot.
In Path of Exile it is not uncommon for all the loot to be taken by one or two and Iam forced to trade to progress. Also prices have inflated.

It's quite obvious you haven't played much PoE.

However, that aside, I must reiterate that this isn't a "which game is better" discussion. This is a discussion about what Blizzard is doing with its time and money, and whether or not they are being fiscally responsible--and ultimately, where they are headed, and whether or not we (as a community) can do anything to influence that...with our wallets or otherwise.
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 01:01 PMPosted by Aimless
I never played WoW D2 or any other of the Blizz games but they seem highly polished but very simplistic. Seems to work for them on a mass appeal. Serious gamers should look elsewhere though. This is my last one unless DRASTIC changes are made to RoS from difficulty to itemization.

Blizz Diablo is made for 4 year olds and old men who's wife lets them play 4 hours a week. Just accept that and move on.

And little pecker heads who nerdrage on forums and spew toxicity.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]