Diablo® III

Travis Day on drop rates

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11307900907?page=12#229

Well, that settles it for me. I don't want to buy the expansion so I can play a glorified slot machine. I want to kill things that drop legendaries, not spend my time farming shards.

Good luck to those of you who wind up buying the expansion.
Reply Quote
After reading his post...its game over
Reply Quote
Yeah, they think drops are in the right ballpark. What?
Reply Quote
Apparently gambling shards is their idea to increase legendary drops and allow people to try to get specific legendaries.

A big piece of the pie that was missing was that we always intended for Kadala to be able to generate legendary items. More specifically she was intended to help give players more direct control over their ability to find specific items they were after. Not to the tune of "I want X item so I buy it" but we wanted players to have a degree of control by saying "Man I really want X helm, so I'll spend all my Blood Shards buying helms and try to get the one I'm after eventually".

Good luck gambling for that very specific item that you know will never drop.
Edited by Giggler#1164 on 1/22/2014 3:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
LOL drop rates are 1% of the problem.

People spent years playing Diablo 2 because there was always a build on a class to play and try out. There was always items you needed or wanted to find. Since there is no character customization first option is out. Since items suck second option is out.

Items suck they need to fix items.

They can fix items by

a) increasing scope of useful stats
b) modifiers (like cold immune or BGs take extra cold damage) why do I have lighting on my axe right now? Does nothing.
c) Increasing items like there is basically 1 int chest - tal rasha 1 monk chest - innas why not 50 GG wizzy chests you want to try out? All with pros and cons?
d) Item synergy with builds. Critical mass wiz anyone can be it's not on an item - needs to be.

Reason for low drop rates is they hardly have anything to drop. So only way to keep you playing is low drops of a few items that will allow you to progress.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 1/22/2014 3:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
"hey guys, drop rates are fine where they are. What we want you to do is farm these blood shard so you have a CHANCE at a legendary, you know, instead of actually killing monsters for loot"

This is the final straw and shows how clueless this dev team is.
Reply Quote
I think it's time for me to take a break from this game. I'll check back in a few months and see if they've ever pulled their heads out and will give it another shot at a later date.
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 03:03 PMPosted by Zannis
Well, that settles it for me. I don't want to buy the expansion so I can play a glorified slot machine. I want to kill things that drop legendaries, not spend my time farming shards.

You should read the post again.. a bit more carefully this time.
Edited by Blueskies#1583 on 1/22/2014 3:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yep, it's done.
Reply Quote
I would be fine with current drop rates if the legendary items that I got blew my mind. Since the last patch I found four legendary items that all sit in my stash because:

1. They have no legendary affix (i.e. special ability);
2. Their other stats don't separate them in any way shape or form from rares; and
3. Two of these items were 2-handed weapons that demonstrated no benefit over 1-handed weapons.

The whole goal of the new legendary system was to make them amazing. What are the plans to make all legendary items have special abilities like most of the RoS items?
Reply Quote
This legendary slot machine sounds horrible. I'd much rather see zones that have better chances of dropping x type of leg than being forced to literally play a fraking slot machine.

They flip from pay-to-win to slot machine addicts win....
Reply Quote
Just cancelled my CE pre-order. I will continue to check the forums in hopes of changes. I REALLY REALLY want to love this game. As The X-Files slogan goes, "I want to believe". I really want to believe in Blizzard still. They had it so close with F&F beta. Just needed to tone the drop rate down a bit from that and it would have been great.
Reply Quote
yea D3 is kinda doom..
Reply Quote
What ball park is Travis in? This statement is the final straw for me, not because loot won't rain from the sky, but because it shows just how out of touch these "developers" are.

Shocking and sad.
Edited by wxmyjnsn2#1822 on 1/22/2014 3:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11307900907?page=12#229

I'm actually really REALLY happy to read this. As a pro AH supporter RoS is definately going to be a reap what you sow for everyone that has been screaming for AH/RMAH to be removed :)

So what's the excuse for low drop rates NOW then? pre RoS you all spout that they factored AH into the equation of low drop rates. hahahaha
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 03:26 PMPosted by adm0ni
This legendary slot machine sounds horrible. I'd much rather see zones that have better chances of dropping x type of leg than being forced to literally play a fraking slot machine.

They flip from pay-to-win to slot machine addicts win....

They realized that without trade there has to be a way to get specific legendaries or people would go crazy from RNG. So they are letting us gamble for a CHANCE at specific items. This will lead to only doing content that gives shards and skipping everything else. He also mentioned splitfarming so I assume they will find a way to nerf that, but players will always find the most efficient mean to gear up.

Right now it looks like farming shards and gambling.

Vegas here we come.
Reply Quote
How did they go from Martens saying in an interview released November 13th, 2013

"Trading is a valid way to get items, but we know – and we’ve decided to put our stake in the ground – that finding a monster and killing it and getting the item is the most fun way to play. "

All the way to that unbelievable post by Travis???

Gambling?? They really think people want to spend a crap ton of time in town gambling for their gear??

Reading that post and taking into consideration the abysmal drop rates that currently exist... if what we see now is in the ballpark of their goal that means whatever improvement in drop rates that does come about is going to be minimal.

I was wrong with my original guess that the servers will be a ghost town and the forums will be nothing but angry players within 2 weeks of the launch of RoS. It's not going to take anywhere near 2 weeks.
Reply Quote
How did they go from Martens saying in an interview released November 13th, 2013

"Trading is a valid way to get items, but we know – and we’ve decided to put our stake in the ground – that finding a monster and killing it and getting the item is the most fun way to play. "

Or how did it go from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYbt27bRMqs

They were showing 6 legendaries in a single act 3 run.
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 03:44 PMPosted by jcroxxxx
finding a monster and killing it and getting the item is the most fun way to play

I don't see what the problem is.

You're still doing that (killing mobs) even if that requires a vendor trip to turn in the token (dropped from a mob) that lets you narrow down what type of Legendary you are after (like a helm, or chest or what ever).

And it seems like mobs in general will still drop Legendary as well to some degree but from a wider range of options (no pin point stuff).

I think you're all nuts for complaining over this issue.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]