Diablo® III

Hearthstone VS Diablo 3 Comparison

I know what your thinking. 2 different games but there are so many things I see in hearthstone that should be implemented in Diablo 3. I have been playing Hearthstone beta non-stop for about 2 weeks now. I'm not sure if I'm the first one to dub this game Crack-Stone but it really is as addictive as crack.

1. The game has 9 unique characters which is great because they all play different just like Diablo 3 (except D3 has 6 characters).

2. The customization in Hearthstone is endless. You can be a Druid for example and have plenty of different builds. One can be a defensive build, the other a magic damage build, the other a minion buffing build, ect... The possibilities are endless. This element is missing in Diablo 3 as most people pick one popular build that overshadows the others.

3. Items in hearthstone are cards. You have rare, epic, legendary, ect... You get cards through crafting, buying (gold or real money), and doing arena challenges. Every single card is original, well thought out, and mostly balanced. Diablo 3 items has had a bad rep. If only every item was well thought out like Hearthstone.

4. Hearthstone is all PVP action and its a solid PVP experience. Magic is more like chess while Hearthstone is more like an arena spar (roman arenas). At first I thought the cards were too simple but the more I play, I realize how complex the game really is. Diablo is mostly PVE and will hopefully have a complex PVP system in ithe future.

5. Crafting is easy, fun, and very rewarding in Hearthstone but not in Diablo 3.

6. In Hearthstone you can rank up. You start from the 20th rank and work your way up. Trust me. This game is extremely challenging. In 2 weeks, I barely made it to the 16th rank but in the first week, I was bouncing back and forth from 20 to 19th rank. I can't imagine how well the players in the top 5 ranks play. It was feel marvelous to be in the top 5. I would feel like a bad a-s. There should be some sort of ranking system like this in Diablo 3 (imo ladder). The scariest part of Hearthstone is that you can lose rank by losing games. It really makes you worry about dying. I'm never worried to die in Diablo 3 and I have to ladder to climb.

7. And finally, if you get bored, you can play in an Arena where you randomly select cards to use. You won't have a good deck so its best to get plenty of experience out of the arena so you can go win. You really want to win in the arena because you get rewards such as arcade dust or packs of cards. There is no side game in Diablo 3.

Anyway. I think Hearthstone gets a solid 5 stars in my book. Its truly an epic game. I'm completely addicted to it. Its marvelous and a refreshing revisit to the experience of playing an epic game. This is what I expected to get out of Diablo 3 but it never happened. I hope that I will one day feel like I am playing an epic game when I play Diablo 3 but there have been too many disappointments. At least Hearthstone is great.
Reply Quote
customiazation is amazingly limited. Go play mtg for comparison.
Reply Quote
I play MTG all the time.
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 09:57 PMPosted by OneShot
I play MTG all the time.

don't you think multiple colors then creature/spell options is more varied? In hearthstone there seems to be a core of cards to choose plus specific op class ones. There are some different types of decks but they seem pretty cookie cutter (in that EVERYBODY is playing a specific deck). As an example I watched a streamer consistently winning with a murlock deck, until at some point every player he played against had adjusted to use THE EXACT SAME DECK.
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 10:03 PMPosted by donk
I play MTG all the time.

don't you think multiple colors then creature/spell options is more varied? In hearthstone there seems to be a core of cards to choose plus specific op class ones. There are some different types of decks but they seem pretty cookie cutter (in that EVERYBODY is playing a specific deck). As an example I watched a streamer consistently winning with a murlock deck, until at some point every player he played against had adjusted to use THE EXACT SAME DECK.

like MTG?

Honestly ..hearstone seems to have more living meta..meta is shifting each week which is awesome..maybe bad thing is that streamers are spoiling everyone and people just can't think for themselves ..but it's same in MTG...

while I am not big fan of MTG..i played it a bit.. and honestly.. hearstone has more useful cards than MTG..in MTG..most cards are trash and only very limited number is competitive..in hearstone? unless it's Wisp, most of the cards are competitive in different metas ..
Reply Quote
25k + viewers on twitch vs maybe 200 for RoS does not bode well for RoS
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 10:08 PMPosted by RD20

that's mostly just kripp lol
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 10:07 PMPosted by ManiaCCC

like MTG?

Honestly ..hearstone seems to have more living meta..meta is shifting each week which is awesome..maybe bad thing is that streamers are spoiling everyone and people just can't think for themselves ..but it's same in MTG...

while I am not big fan of MTG..i played it a bit.. and honestly.. hearstone has more useful cards than MTG..in MTG..most cards are trash and only very limited number is competitive..in hearstone? unless it's Wisp, most of the cards are competitive in different metas ..

hmm, I have to admit I only played mtg irl and mostly sealed deck tournaments (equivalent to arena). That said mtg has like 20 card sets so I find it hard to believe hearthstone has more useful cards. Btw I should probably say at this point that I do enjoy hearthstone.
Reply Quote
Their both great. Magic is more like a chess game while hearthstone is more like a gladiator game where you fight against each other with sword and shield.
Reply Quote
I sold a few billion of D3 gold for Hearthstone cards.

I am very happy with Hearthstone.

SURE, there are issues, but lets not forget no game is perfect and it just went into open beta what? 2 days ago?

YES, there is a lack of variety ... umm, this is the first set of cards. this is the skeleton of the game.

the game is fun and the reason i finally "quit" D3.

(I won't delete my toons, but, my gold/gear is gone and i do not play and have no plans to buy RoS.. thats what i mean by quit to be clear.)
Edited by StCecil#1659 on 1/22/2014 10:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
I just want my Diablo back.

I miss fighting the hordes of hell in dark places. I don't miss fighting blue unicorns in rainbow land.

What a slap in the face.
Reply Quote
Also the chat system is more active on hearthstone.
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 10:11 PMPosted by donk
01/22/2014 10:08 PMPosted by RD20

that's mostly just kripp lol

20k right now and kripp is not streaming hearthstone has a very large viewer base beyond kripp with players such as hafu and trump playing plus a ton of league pros play it during queues.
Reply Quote
And now you know why Diablo 3 is such a piece of garbage. They don't want it to compete with their other titles. It's supposed to be their portfolio diversifying console game and nothing more.

No theory crafting in Diablo 3? Don't want it to compete with WoW
No interesting builds or items? Don't want it to compete with Hearthstone
No PVP? Don't want it to compete with Heroes of the Storm

And you wonder where SC2 fits into all this? It doesn't. It's fundamentally different enough. You don't control a hero but rather you're a commander instead.
Reply Quote
im just logging in to say the small hearthstone team produced a much better game than the much larger d3 team

i dont see myself getting bored of hearthstone anytime soon... and lots of new things are coming :P
Reply Quote
I just can't get into card games.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]