Diablo® III

New drop information from Travis Day

MVP
View profile
Greetings all,

So with the recent controversy over drops and such and with Travis today posting several times to clear some things up I've been interested to see what the ANZ community thinks(PTR and beta), I wanted 5 hours to see if someone would say something, but no go so I'll post myself.

I personally think Travis has given us a ton of info and has taken several ideas on board, but I also feel a lot of people aren't actually reading his posts and/or misinterpreting them.

The biggest info I think is that you can't go 10 hours in RoS with out getting a leg(10 hours played while fighting that is) and this doesn't include gambling/crafting/matts. This seems about right with what I've played on Torment, but I think I'm the only beta player in the ANZ clan who regularly plays Torment.

So what does ANZ think? Let's try and avoid trolling and please actually read his posts.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11307900907?page=12#229

Adding Forgotten souls to rifts will make it better to farm them, I'd still like to see a boss at the end of the rift though, but the last patch did make it so the boss doesn't spawn as quick I've found.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11307900907?page=14#269

"Kadala is not meant to be the primary source of legendary items", I'm still yet to get any from her, but I don't gamble much, got another set piece this morning while doing 1 set of bounties.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11307900907?page=14#273

Personally I understand that what players want and what devs want will never match up. Is this the big issue people have though? Interested to see what people think about that.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11307900907?page=15#293

"The data that we currently have shows legendary drop rates at roughly 2 hours per, and that's before Kadala was changed to be able to give legendary items. " Seems about right with what I've been getting on Torment(remember Torment has Torment only legs as well), so have people been over exaggerating? or not fighting enough? Perhaps this timer only works while actually killing things not just running past things like many seem to do?

So what does ANZ think?
Reply Quote
Personally, 1.5 to 2 hours per legendary is manageable.

Not sure about that the artificial drop rate inflation timer thing - it kind of kills off the eureka moment when you find a legendary because the legendary is now expected to drop within a certain time frame.

But for me, the real problem still lies with the quality of items. Trifecta stats are still highly favoured, helms and weapons still require sockets to be effective, several affixes are still too weak.
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 1/22/2014 10:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
01/22/2014 09:51 PMPosted by Hypersonic

Not sure about that the artificial drop rate inflation timer thing - it kind of kills off the eureka moment when you find a legendary because the legendary is now expected to drop within a certain time frame.

It's kinda one of those damned if you do damned if you don't things. If they had never told us we would have never known and it would have been all good. But now that they told us I can see the downside.

I guess take solace in that it's not a set timer per-say more just a certain amount of time? I'm really torn now that we know that bit of info, I'd hate to know more specifics of drop rates, takes the mystery out of it.
Reply Quote
not sure how i missed this post. i need to venture out of our little area sometimes :P

yea that little 'secret' kinda blows.

overall, i thnk this is a good sign of improvements. ill be jumping in the beta tonight and giving it a test. hope to see some of my fellow aussie testers in there
Reply Quote
I never really like posting about things i cant experience yet.......

Not a PTR tester or beta tester here. Havent got a beta key, and 8 GB of dwls for testing PTR never sounded aluring in this part of the world. :)

Of course opinions of other tester had to be biased, so my opinion which are based on just that cant be worth much. Thats why i refrained from making any judgement until today, when Travis made that post........

When i hear others playing for ~25 hours without a drop, i dont really worry, RNG is a b!tch. But today Travis voiced out that the ideal they will be using is ~2 hours per legendary, so now we have a concrete question "does 2 hours per legendary sounds like enough?" I cant decide, but will lean towards "not really".

1) on live, it is very random. I could play ~5 days of 2-3 hours each on a p100 and dont get anything, then there are days when i get 3-4 legendaries in an hour, playing a plvl 0 character with no MF. But averaging out, we can get ~1-2 per hour. 2 hours per atm sounds like a down grade, and not really what Josh got us to believe at blizzcon (less is more, less junk, more legendary than live etc). Well got me to believe anyways. I am not basing whether it is enough or not solely on this though, as the dev have shown tendency that what they said before dont hold any weight, they are not lying back then, as back then that was the intention, whateva.

2) Ok fine, 2 hours per legendaries it is. But what legendaries? If firewalker and dark mage shade lvl legendaries kept dropping, and no mempo lvl legendaries for 3 months, I dont really like the future. Of coz i know all legendaries are being worked on etc etc, but no deny that there will be "better" one and "worse" ones. The ratio of the good vs bad needs more looking into imo.

3) I am on the fence about torment legendaries. Are they going to be obtainable from gambling, does anyone know? The last patch said they lowesr drop rate on powerful legendaries (which i assume includes normal and torment legendaries) and gambling starts dropping legendaries. Just not torment lvl ones. Doesnt that mean torment legendaries drop rate got nerfed and no new ways of getting them?

I play diablo games namely for loots, and tbh i dont really think im fine with 2 hours per legendary....... Ive played 2k + hours on vanilla where legendaries drop much more often than that and im still poor as hell and no OP characters. Now that it is BoA i was hoping blizz can disregard the need of maintaining an economy and up the drop rate, just a little, not drop it by half.

Again, just voicing my opinion without actually testing it, disregard as you will. :)
Edited by seansky#1859 on 1/23/2014 12:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
I've just seen your thread Narull, but I did read the other threads this morning.

As you probably know by now, I love this game, and I haven't been looking on the gloomy side just to grief the game. The fact is, I believed them when they said in their video, that the drop rates would be better than live, but it didn't happen. In fact if anyone says something seems out of tune, their solution seems to be to nerf it instead of buff something else.

I went 6 hours in PTR without a drop, except for a plan, and according to travis' post, that is not supposed to be included in the drop rate. Prior to that I can't say what the time was between drops, but it seemed to be a very long time. Is that ok? Hell noooooo.

Apparently there is supposed to be a timer in game that stops the long dry spells between drop rates. I haven't noticed one, or if there is one, it's not working.

Ok. so maybe we have a broken mechanic (that has yet to be confirmed) but I will not be happy until it until it has been fixed and I have seen people saying that the drop rate has been vastly improved. At the moment we have loot game that doesn't have many drops, let alone good drops.

I truly feel that this is all that is necessary to get the expansion off to a great start, other problems can be worked out in patches as we go, but they have to get the loot drop right before release.

I don't mean to be negative about the expansion, I believe it will be fun, but after we all hit the brick wall of progression, a lot will leave. That's why they have to get the loot drop right, on release.

I know you are a huge fan, as am I, and I don't mean to show my negative side to you, but please forgive me. If the drop rate is fixed before release, I will be one of the first in line to congratulate the devs on a job well done.

edited for grammar.
Edited by Septimus#6445 on 1/23/2014 2:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
timer leg buff = fail.

I want a leg to seem like a special moment - not a "here you go" sympathy moment... definitely not something that they should have disclosed to the consuming public.
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 02:23 PMPosted by NickBaldyM
timer leg buff = fail.

I want a leg to seem like a special moment - not a "here you go" sympathy moment... definitely not something that they should have disclosed to the consuming public.

Its meant to pacify anyone who has the unfortunate experience of not getting a Legendary to drop. I experienced that in the early days of D3, did not have a Legendary level 60 and above drop for several months, more than 20 hours that's for sure. What's more in those days rares where better than Legendaries.

I just hope the devs learned that lesson and it won't be a repeat in Loot 2.0. As it is D3V drops are higher but most of us can vouch that 99% of drops are brimstones.
Reply Quote
Ok. I am slowly becoming cautiously optimistic. I say "cautiously" because the last statement could be taken to mean that the new droprate is only for beta testing and is not necessarily going live.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11307900907?page=23#451

Hey folks I'm back with some clarifications and some news that should please everyone.

First the clarification, the timer system that works behind the scenes is meant to be exactly that, behind the scenes. No you can't afk the system, there are a lot of moving pieces to it and we talked about it extensively before we implemented it to guarantee its not exploitable. At it's heart Diablo is a game about slaughtering demons and getting random cool rewards. The system that is in place should never be experienced by 99% of the population, it's there for the 1% who just get really bad random rolls for an excessively long period of time. If we want you to get a legendary every 2 hours, the system basically says "ok it's been like double/triple that period of time, just help the guy out!"

Second and more importantly. I'm in the process of working up another hotfix for the beta that will do 2 things.

1. Reduce the chance for Kadala to give legendary items. We have a lot of solutions to the split farming problem but they are going to take a little time to be put in place and in the mean time we don't want peoples feedback to be completely skewed based on her rewards. This reduction will be revisited once we fix all the split farming issues.

2. Double the legendary drop rate. Your feedback hasn't been falling on deaf ears, and much discussion and deliberation has gone into it. We know that drop rates aren't exactly where we want them right now and it's very important to us to get as much feedback as possible during our beta. We are going to adjust the legendary drop rates via hotfix so that you guys have as much time as possible to test and give us feedback on how the changes feel, also more time for us to compile data and get RoS to be the best it can be.
Edited by Travis Day on 1/23/2014 12:16 PM PST

5 hours ago

You see, this is where making a loud noise on the forums can be the only way to make a difference to the game.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
01/23/2014 05:50 PMPosted by Septimus

You see, this is where making a loud noise on the forums can be the only way to make a difference to the game.

Just going to address how wrong this statement is. A LOT of changes that have happened in beta are from people emailing feedback and Blizzard wanting change.

Plus the system timer system and drop rates which Travis admitted t o wanting where in game before the 'loud noise on the forums' started.

I respect you Sept, but don't think that 'making a loud noise' is the only way to see changes, that's just silly.
Reply Quote
Sorry narull, I guess you and I will just have to agree to disagree on this one, and that's o.k. I certainly don't think that making a loud noise is the only way to get a point across, but when you don't have access to the Beta and therefore to sending emailed information and feedback, then making a loud noise is all that's left. I also don't feel silly about it, I feel it was necessary.

I did not at any time advocate that people cancel their pre-orders, or try to make people feel that the new expansion was not worth trying out. I actually stated that I was not cancelling my pre-order. I and many other people, simply voiced our opinion regarding the appalling loot drop rate, which is after all at the core of this game.

Also, the timer wasn't working for me. Maybe it is bugged as some are saying, but it was not working and made any effort seem like it was unrewarded.
Edited by Septimus#6445 on 1/24/2014 1:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
I think part of the problem for why people are up in arms about the changes is that, when changes are made there isn't a reason given. I know the devs have one massive undertaking, however it would be nice to have some sort of statement for the general direction of the changes. It's the 'unknowing' that makes people jittery. (example, droprates Blizzard sees, droprates player see)

It's nice to have some words that go with the numbers.

I could extend further on this, but I have my own wedding speech to write lol >.<
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
@Septimus: No idea why you're talking about cancelling preorders or such, I never said you where doing that, just said that 'making a lot of noise' is not the best way(or any way) to get changes, you're actually more likely to be ignored(seriously people have made a lot more 'noise' over things over the last 2 years lol).

Drops also aren't a beta only issue so you can easily post on the PTR forums, you seem to be misunderstanding my meaning, posting feedback in whatever constructive form is great, but 'making noise' is just silly.

Also Blizzard have never made the email private, it's actually posted on the front page in the news, if you ever want to send feedback and/or bugs. You're also welcome to email feedback directly to ROSBetaFeedback@blizzard.com If you’d like to submit a bug report, please send it to ROSBetaBugs@blizzard.com

As for you saying the timer isn't working for you, I've seen a couple of people say that, but none of them where playing torment and when asked if they spent more then 10 hours actually fighting things(not running around/past/in town) it always comes down to they haven't. The hotfix isn't on the PTR/Beta yet and my last 2 legs have been within 5 hours each(4:11/1:51), I'm timing actual playtime between each leg now, perhaps you should do the same(but remember to pause it when in town and play torment!/don't just run past things, you gotta actually kill things to get drops!

You do kinda contradict yourself though, but eh no biggy. I really have 0 issue with ya mate don't take my posts personally.

01/24/2014 01:05 AMPosted by Septimus
I certainly don't think that making a loud noise is the only way to get a point across,

=P
Reply Quote
Hi all.

Really happy about the new update tbh. Im sorry to all those who prefer lower drop rate, but I rather enjoy the game this way. :)

One thing that i dont really understand and would like some clarification, as english is not my first language.......

We know that drop rates aren't exactly where we want them right now and it's very important to us to get as much feedback as possible during our beta.

When travis said it is not where they want it, do they mean the drop rate before or after it was doubled? Do they mean they are doubling it for now for testing, but eventually they will scale it back down again? Or do they mean they werent happy about the low drop rate, and this is them fixing it?

Though, i do agree with Narull that making loud noises does nothing to push blizz in any direction. In fact it is why many ppl left in the first place, the feeling that nothing will be done even when theres an uproar. Blizz had always have a "i know better than thee" motto, and i cant blame them. They are the professional designers. They cater for everyone and anyone they think will buy the game, not just individual. It is only when the decision affects sales or participation that they will try and deviate from what they believe, and say "we hear you", as it directly affect their existence as a company. It is my own opinion from observing how the team had been doing things, and does not mean everyone had to agree. :)

So, it might really well be these drop rate changes are just a cycle of testing to find out where the rate should sit.

With that said, it is highly unfair that everyone who posted on forum that are not "constructive critism" seems to be looked down on, so to speak. As if their view is not worth reading if they cant think of anything constructive to say. Alot of us are casuals. Alot of us sux at creativity. Alot of times, we can think something we really really dont like and cant think of how to put it exactly in words. When we dont like a drop rate, the most constructive thing we could say is to up it. When a kid feels soemthing he dont like, he cries. In terms of how to design a game, alot of the casual is as clueless as a kid.

All we could do is post that we dont like it, and sound like whining. I apologize, but if blizz think the crowd who cant express themselves better should not voice it, i dont really know what to say.

That said, the mentality of make noise and something might be done is an aussie motto aint it? :P

PS: yeh dont know if i like the internal legend timer thingy either...... shall see. Narull, does that timer only work in torment? saw you mention torment a few times but dont recall travis saying it only works in torment.
Reply Quote
Well it seems there might be some confusion over a term I used.

I don't really know what people thought I meant but to me, to make a loud noise simply means, to voice my opinion. It doesn't mean yell, rant, bang my head against a wall or call someone names. So in that context, I think that if enough people make a loud noise, action often results.

Anyway, enough of this. That's all I have to say, so now I'm going to sit quietly and have a wine, and maybe pour a little over my keyboard.
Reply Quote
I don't mind the Legendaries dropping every 2 hours or whatever, so long as the reward when they do drop is worth it.

I mean that's always the main thing, doesn't matter if you get 15 an hour if %99 are crap, but if you get 1 every hour and they are all decent then that's great.

as for all that other stuff there, sucks they cant hotfix this item affix bug on the PTR.
Reply Quote
I don't mind putting in time but a Leg should always be awesome in a way that makes one want to break out into their best Operaman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMmp5rGtW4Q
Reply Quote
@Narull may I ask "how does one with your rather low kill stats get the MVP status"?

If you are on Blizzards' payroll, as you seem to be, then you should really post a disclaimer...

Vested interest and all that...

Just saying...
Reply Quote
he was helpful when aussie forum first started, and we put him up there. MVP status dont look at your kill, but more what you can contribute to the forum communities.
Reply Quote
For a game that will soon be mostly solo play and no "real" trading (as all good drops will be BoA), then no drop rate would be too high in my opinion.

There will be no way to sell items as there will be no AH.

As for the 2 hour exchange for others in your party... bit of a joke really.

I got RoS for one reason only..... 3 more character slots! This equals more stash!

How about letting us buy 3 more stash tabs for the chest (there is room for them to fit), as we'll all be needing more stash space to store as much as possible.
Edited by Santa#6589 on 1/31/2014 7:15 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]