Diablo® III

Why for the love of all that is holy is loot on a timer

I don't like that especially when we don't know what the timer is. i play and haven't gotten one but I have to go to work so I log out what if the leg was set to drop in 5 more minutes?
Edited by wxmyjnsn2#1822 on 1/23/2014 3:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
You have to be killing monsters for the timer to progress.

Lets see a example scenario:

You start playing.

The timer starts progressing every moment you spend in combat (killing monsters, there can be actually kill counter also involved)

You play 1 hour and find a Legendary

The timer resets. And starts from 0 again

You play 3 hours (just an example timeframe) and have not yet found a Legendary

The timer comes into effect and starts increasing your chance to find Legendary for X% every Y minutes played.

Finally after some time another Legendary drops

Timer resets.

The end.

So it only increases the chance to find legendary and the timer progresses only when you are killing monsters. This timer is possibly in place because RNG can happen and you won't find any legendaries for tens of hours.
Reply Quote
It also makes sure you can get legendaries if you have not a very efficient characters. Legendaries will be needed to make your builds, it is necessary to be able to get them (even with only average stat) before end game. To be able to play efficiently in end game you need legendaries. If you need to be able to play efficiently in end game to have legendaries, we may have a problem.
Reply Quote
View profile
Adding the timer is amazing and badly needed. I feel much better about ROS now.
Reply Quote
Yeah have fun with the forced Ivory Towers.
Reply Quote
View profile
More info from Travis just now:

"First the clarification, the timer system that works behind the scenes is meant to be exactly that, behind the scenes. No you can't afk the system, there are a lot of moving pieces to it and we talked about it extensively before we implemented it to guarantee its not exploitable. At it's heart Diablo is a game about slaughtering demons and getting random cool rewards. The system that is in place should never be experienced by 99% of the population, it's there for the 1% who just get really bad random rolls for an excessively long period of time. If we want you to get a legendary every 2 hours, the system basically says "ok it's been like double/triple that period of time, just help the guy out!""
Reply Quote
Blizz was wondering how they could possibly not reward good players and they came up with this.
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 01:20 PMPosted by Zaino
Blizz was wondering how they could possibly not reward good players and they came up with this.

there is ZERO skill in action / rpg's by the way.. its gear based.
Edited by ErikZx6r#1367 on 1/23/2014 1:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 01:23 PMPosted by OneL
noobie casuals love the timer because it makes things more predictable. you know how scrubs are, always wanting everything on a set track that cannot be deviated from.

If you play 10 hours a day you will still be miles ahead of any casual so it doesn't matter. And if you aren't a casual you will be in a clan competing with them.

Ladders will let you restart eventually.
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 01:31 PMPosted by OneL

there is ZERO skill in D3 by the way.. its gear based.

fixed

Name a hack and slasher that is skill based... example.. there are people who beat dark souls at lvl 1... no stat increases...

Name a hack and slasher that you can beat the hardest difficulty level with starting gear? go head
Reply Quote
When you do something stupid like bind gear in an ARPG, you are forced to look for other stupid mechanics to mitigate your original sin. This clusterF is so amazingly spectacular. <3

Self found with buffed drop rates is going to be 100% more rewarding than trading or BUYING gear from 3rd party sites will ever be.

I would be happy with trading or BoA if either are done right...

BUT... when i hop in a game and stomp monsters harder than my party members or with a build they never seen before.. i'll know it's because i worked to find my stuff and so did they.

And btw if you are not a casual player you are playing with clan mates who you will be trading with.
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 01:20 PMPosted by Zaino

How is a system completely build on randomness rewarding "good" players?

The truth here is, sadly, that you could play D3 for years, farming the most efficient routes, never doing something that is inefficient, and yet, get only ivory towers and nail bitters and other usless crap items.

seriously. I dont get it why people always believe that Diablo is a game that requires some kind of "skill" or "special" ability to be succesfull.
Reply Quote
"Skill and Gear" still will improve the drop rate.

All the "timer" system does is prevent you from not finding a single legendary for days.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]