Diablo® III

Legendary "timer" is already in?

Apparently there's already a safety net in at least the RoS beta to ensure no-one goes 200 hours without finding a legendary. See:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11307900907?page=15#293

Posted by Travis Day

The fact that some people claim to go for 10+ hours without finding a legendary is not only not our intent, but should in fact be impossible. We added a system in the expansion that tracks the amount of time you spend fighting creatures without finding a legendary and after a certain period of time will slowly start increasing the legendary drop rate. Once a legendary drops for you, actual item not crafting recipe or material, we reset that timer.

News to me. Was this common knowledge?
Reply Quote
problem is 99.999% of all legendary items are not worth picking up

just look at my DH with all self found items still have not found any better weapons I just getting the same 2 Xbows.......
Edited by Envy#1790 on 1/22/2014 6:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
Anybody farming for 10+ hours and not getting a legendary is either trying to farm normal difficulty, or dont know what "farming" means...
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 06:13 PMPosted by Dogf
Apparently there's already a safety net in at least the RoS beta to ensure no-one goes 200 hours without finding a legendary. See:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11307900907?page=15#293

Posted by Travis Day

The fact that some people claim to go for 10+ hours without finding a legendary is not only not our intent, but should in fact be impossible. We added a system in the expansion that tracks the amount of time you spend fighting creatures without finding a legendary and after a certain period of time will slowly start increasing the legendary drop rate. Once a legendary drops for you, actual item not crafting recipe or material, we reset that timer.

News to me. Was this common knowledge?

How is this even possible? There must be a catch to that timer. Otherwise I could just sit idle for 10 hours and then open the first chest and get a legendary? More likely Travis Day isn't giving you the full story, more like "kill 10,000 monsters or 10 hours of game-play, which ever happens second, then drop a leg on next kill."
Reply Quote
If they need a timer it just shows how wrong they are with drop rates.....
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 06:41 PMPosted by Topher
Anybody farming for 10+ hours and not getting a legendary is either trying to farm normal difficulty, or dont know what "farming" means...

I'm going to take a wild guess that folks like Starbird and DrothVader know how to farm for items. It's actually a lot of folks having the issue. I was playing through the PTR on master and got fed up with it. I would go several hours without a legendary and then when one finally did drop it would be the exact same one as the previous (bad) one that I found.
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 06:41 PMPosted by Topher

I think most people are talking about legendary items. You can definitely find a "legendary" in under 10 hours, however 99 times out of 100 it's a legendary recipe or crafting mat.
Reply Quote
MVP
01/22/2014 06:42 PMPosted by Kirishima
How is this even possible? There must be a catch to that timer. Otherwise I could just sit idle for 10 hours and then open the first chest and get a legendary? More likely Travis Day isn't giving you the full story, more like "kill 10,000 monsters or 10 hours of game-play, which ever happens second, then drop a leg on next kill."

It tracks your time spent in combat in only inversely inflates the droprates while that timer is running.
BattleTag: Drothvader#1215 | Twitter: @Drothvader | Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Drothvader
"Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy! But here's my BattleTag! Add me maybe? O.o
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 06:46 PMPosted by DrothVader

It tracks your time spent in combat in only inversely inflates the droprates while that timer is running.
BattleTag: Drothvader#1215 | Twitter: @Drothvader | Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Drothvader
"Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy! But here's my BattleTag! Add me maybe? O.o

I doubt that's how that works. If I build a tank with no dps and spend an hour to kill an elite pack, I get a legendary every 10 elite packs? That's too easy to exploit with a bot. It's obvious there are extra layers to the timer that Blizzard isn't telling us.
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 06:46 PMPosted by DrothVader

Question is, does it carry over between play sessions? Also, could I be "in combat" in normal (while totally safe b/c I would regen life faster than the mobs could take me down) then hop over to torment for a drop?
Reply Quote
Just test it.
Reply Quote
Adding in a timer not only shows there is something wrong with the drop rates and the loot system, it undermines the core of ARPG gameplay - RNG. So now it's not really RNG, it's pretend RNG. So that rare, powerful drop that justified the time you put into the game and is a huge reward is now only really rare during the first 2 hours of play. What the?

If you are layering contrived band-aid systems on top of core systems, it's a sure sign the core systems are broken in some way. Fix them directly, don't add more obfuscating, blurring, impossible to balance layers on top of it.

I don't know what's going on over there at Blizzard, but it's not good.
Edited by t0lkien#1368 on 1/22/2014 6:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 06:51 PMPosted by Matte
Just test it.

Don't really need to, one of the podcasters on Diablo Inc Gamers in last week's podcast already talked about having hundreds of hours in RoS beta and only has found half a dozen or so legendaries. So we know the timer is not the full-story, it might also be tied to minimum kill-count.
Edited by Kirishima#1651 on 1/22/2014 6:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
i do not know what's going on here, but every time i play i get a legendary!! with in 30 mins of play time, and im talking about iv played for the last 10 days and iv mf like 16 legendary!! playing just 3 hr per day on it. so i do not know i put just 123 mf on it was ezzy, are all of you mfing with no mf on?
Reply Quote
good as ''safety net''. little less rant on the forum. at least it killed a few thread. hehe.

but seriously. that's it !,it's far enough, such loot 'timer' should not exist in the first place in Diablo 3 because it undermines the purpose of the game itself.

be a little more careful so it will not be an exploit.
Reply Quote
They like to control everything. Them muricans :D
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 06:53 PMPosted by evilgod
are all of you mfing with no mf on?

you are aware that mf only works to a degree of 10% for legs? ....
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 06:13 PMPosted by Dogf
Once a legendary drops for you, actual item not crafting recipe or material, we reset that timer.

uh @ thesaint: this very much sounds like an individual timer ...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]