Diablo® III

Legendary "timer" is already in?

01/23/2014 09:05 AMPosted by TheSaint

Clearly server side. Not sure what a grenade is unless we are talking a war munition

Yeah, you clearly haven't designed a complex online drop system in your entire life. As your made up system only monitors individual users drop rates which is very inefficient in so many ways. It's pretty funny listening how you wananbes think you know better because of abstract ideas that only apply to low drop systems and systems based on loot tables and all the rest of the other things you amateurs think you know.

With respect....and this will most likely be my last post in this thread because I see it derailing quickly.

What does a complex online drop system have anything to do with storing timers and setting a flag. The two are completly dissparate. As for monitoring "individual uses" how else would this system work. It is designed to award individual users after xx timer period. There is no way that some global timer of aggregate play is being used that is both extremly inefficent and completly backwards. This is a player by player basis per Travis's comment.

As for being an amature well....not even going to touch that one, I don't like flame wars.

repectfully

-Matthew
Reply Quote
My biggest concern is if this timer resets if you leave the game. For example reset your farm route. If so, then that's where the biggest issue may be. This also may be why you find more legendaries while leveling versus farming at max level.
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 06:48 PMPosted by Kirishima
I doubt that's how that works. If I build a tank with no dps and spend an hour to kill an elite pack, I get a legendary every 10 elite packs? That's too easy to exploit with a bot. It's obvious there are extra layers to the timer that Blizzard isn't telling us.

Yes it could work like that. But if you were killing more monsters you will get more legendaries (even not much). You will get materials, gems, gold and XP. So it is better to keep killing monsters than just pretending to do it. Having a bot that can kill enemies is better. You may never achieve 100% drop rate but only 5% (or 1%) for exemple. This is enough to make you get one legendary quickly (few minutes) if at least you kill monsters.

01/22/2014 07:04 PMPosted by TheSaint
There is no way it individually tracks each player, as it would be a ton of bandwidth and a ton of processing power.

No this not a problem. The durability of the gears and weapon have timers too. When you hit a monster or get hit the durability decrease. But it cannot decrease any more for that item until one minute has passed. The game keep the trace of more than 12 timers for each player. And moreover the loot is server side. It will only cost processing power. When you think about all the dot damages, one more timer will not kill the servers.
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 09:11 AMPosted by Omertus
My biggest concern is if this timer resets if you leave the game. For example reset your farm route. If so, then that's where the biggest issue may be. This also may be why you find more legendaries while leveling versus farming at max level.

It may be an issue, but I recently did a full A1 clear (in game for ~4 hours). I killed every monster, completed every cave, cellar or event I could find and got zero leg drops (this was PTR on Torment 2)
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
01/23/2014 08:58 AMPosted by Babymaker
now that we have timer, can't we have it somewhere on the screen where we can see

"20 minutes left until next legendary drop?"

That is not how the system works though. You do not get a drop at a set time. What you get is an increased chance at leg drop once some pre-determined amount of combat time has passed. That chance increases as combat time goes on until eventually you get one. So it won't be every 2 hours on the dot, but it should not be 15 hours without one either.
Reply Quote
Well it must be working. I got 2 leg drops in PTR last night within about 2 hours of play time. In Expert.

LOL

And I don't see any issue with increased latency, ping, or anything else. Hell it played pretty smooth last night.
Reply Quote
High heavens! Calm down guys! You argue as if you are right! But in fact you are speculating. We all do.
All we can do is sit back and wait for clarification if the timer is bugged or not. And eventually Travis Day will also tell us everything about the timer.

Though, if you still want to discuss how the timer actually could work, don't be so aggressive. Aren't we all old enough to respect each others opinions?
Edited by Siggi#2209 on 1/23/2014 9:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
Once a legendary drops for you, actual item not crafting recipe or material, we reset that timer. This is meant to be a safety net so that the random can never be too extreme to the negative end. If players are legitimately going 18+ hours and not seeing a legendary it's possible that there are some bugs floating around that need to be identified.

Is it possible that keys from Key Wardens are being considered actual legendary items, and affecting this counter?

When the PTR started, keys were showing up on the map with stars (which they don't do on live). After this last patch, they don't create stars anymore (well, no legendary does), so isn't it possible that they've been bundled in with legendary items?

So it won't be every 2 hours on the dot...

While I completely agree that isn't the intent behind the counter, my current drop rate after this last patch has been 1 legendary every 4-5 hours of playtime. And it's like clockwork. I have been keeping track, and once I hit 4 hours, I get a legendary within an hour. I've never gone past 5 hours w/o one. (This is on the PTR, not beta, and only since this last patch.)
Edited by Balthazar23#1929 on 1/23/2014 9:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 09:15 AMPosted by MissCheetah
01/23/2014 08:58 AMPosted by Babymaker
now that we have timer, can't we have it somewhere on the screen where we can see

"20 minutes left until next legendary drop?"

That is not how the system works though. You do not get a drop at a set time. What you get is an increased chance at leg drop once some pre-determined amount of combat time has passed. That chance increases as combat time goes on until eventually you get one. So it won't be every 2 hours on the dot, but it should not be 15 hours without one either.

Per Travis's comments this is exactly how it should work. After xx time has passed some weighted variable that influences leg drops is being slow incremented until 1 drops. At that point this weighted variable is reset to it's stock value and the process repeats (at least this is my understanding....impossible to know for sure, but I don't think blizz will be releasing the game's source code anytime in the near future)
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 09:11 AMPosted by Omertus

The pool of reflexion effect will be kept between session. Keeping the time elapsed until last legendary drop can be kept too. Of course if they have forgotten to do it, this may result in the bug they have. :)
Reply Quote
MVP
01/23/2014 09:19 AMPosted by TheSaint
01/23/2014 09:11 AMPosted by jackpot548
What does a complex online drop system have anything to do with storing timers and setting a flag. The two are completly dissparate. As for monitoring "individual uses" how else would this system work.

You don't understand, their systems do not flag users, it's a giant dispenser that is based on a distribution heuristic that is already weighted, their systems already made the choice when, and , I would bet you that the the hour period is set to occur on a global scale, 500,000 users are on at x time drop coordinate appears on server x in x formation. Simple, you don't need to check the clients connection time, that is not efficient, and doing those checks constantly = lag, it also enables users to reverse engineer when a packet is incoming to find out when the handshake is going through that establishes a drop flag.

NO, not realistic.

TheSaint...

All the drop chance is is a variable.

It drops the piece of gear then rolls a number.

If it's between values x and y it's one thing, if it's between y and z, it's another thing.

Literally all the system has to do is take something like the magic find system and incrementally give you magic find after so many seconds / minutes / hours of the game tracking combat.

All of the logic for this system is already spread out.

Lastly, these servers that they're using aren't some home made computer, they're typically a very expensive 1-3u server that houses sometimes upwards of 256GB of RAM and something like 2 16 core processors.

They are DESIGNED to run billions of concurrent operations at once. I should know, I build / test / repair these types of server setups for a living.

And there's not just one of these in a rack, there's generally like 30 or so in a rack, and dozens of racks. The possible computing power in these data centers would blow your mind.

Adding a few extra variables and a timer in addition to the at least 30 other timers I can think of off the top of my head that the game is using is not going to break these monstrous computing powerhouses.

If the servers can handle something much more complex like a global auction house where it has to parse / mine through THOUSANDS of transactions per second, adding a stupid incrementing magic find mechanic based on combat time is NOT going to tax it in the slightest.
BattleTag: Drothvader#1215 | Twitter: @Drothvader | Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Drothvader
"Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy! But here's my BattleTag! Add me maybe? O.o
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 09:44 AMPosted by DrothVader

TheSaint...

All the drop chance is is a variable.

It drops the piece of gear then rolls a number.

If it's between values x and y it's one thing, if it's between y and z, it's another thing.

Literally all the system has to do is take something like the magic find system and incrementally give you magic find after so many seconds / minutes / hours of the game tracking combat.

All of the logic for this system is already spread out.

Lastly, these servers that they're using aren't some home made computer, they're typically a very expensive 1-3u server that houses sometimes upwards of 256GB of RAM and something like 2 16 core processors.

They are DESIGNED to run billions of concurrent operations at once. I should know, I build / test / repair these types of server setups for a living.

And there's not just one of these in a rack, there's generally like 30 or so in a rack, and dozens of racks. The possible computing power in these data centers would blow your mind.

Adding a few extra variables and a timer in addition to the at least 30 other timers I can think of off the top of my head that the game is using is not going to break these monstrous computing powerhouses.

If the servers can handle something much more complex like a global auction house where it has to parse / mine through THOUSANDS of transactions per second, adding a stupid incrementing magic find mechanic based on combat time is NOT going to tax it in the slightest.
BattleTag: Drothvader#1215 | Twitter: @Drothvader | Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Drothvader
"Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy! But here's my BattleTag! Add me maybe? O.o

first off, 2 hrs per leg drop (average) would likely translate into 1 leg per week for me even if I played 40hrs. The rng is and continues to be buggy and broken so I have to shrug off the 'timer' idea as a future fail. 3 hrs last night on beta and not even a decent yellow in 4 bounty rounds and 2 rift runs.

the game is SUPPOSED to be fun to play, not maddening, finding loot = fun. finding garbage ALL THE TIME and then getting one leg drop every few days that just turns out to be MORE garbage is totally infuriating. it feels more like a job (that we DON'T get paid for) than entertainment

the demo ROS/Loot2 video they touted was showing about 6 in an hour....sure theyll all STILL be trash, but 6 in an hour is exciting. heck, 3 in an hour would be nice.

obvious fix is obvious. raise the drop rates = win
Reply Quote
MVP
01/23/2014 09:58 AMPosted by TheSaint
Wrong, it's not a variable. It's already pre-determined.

What do you think a variable is...

IT IS DATA STORED AS A VALUE.

Seriously, how can someone be this obtuse...

01/23/2014 09:58 AMPosted by TheSaint
If you think the auction house was more complex then the game, lol....

I never said the structure was, just the computing power it required was huge.

I'm not wasting my time any more with this because it's clearly obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.

You just want to argue for the sake of arguing and I do not have the patience for that right now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]