Diablo® III

Legendary "timer" is already in?

01/23/2014 01:45 PMPosted by googoogaga
Do set pieces count in that drop rate ratio? Are they also considered legendary items?

They are the same thing.. I doubt in the database they are listed and not linked together..
I don't think that's a issue..
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 01:50 PMPosted by Necx
01/23/2014 01:45 PMPosted by googoogaga
Do set pieces count in that drop rate ratio? Are they also considered legendary items?

They are the same thing.. I doubt in the database they are listed and not linked together..
I don't think that's a issue..

Sucks I was hoping to see a green next to a legendary at times, not often but at times.
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 01:35 PMPosted by jackpot548
It's a subjective term because what two people consider close is often very different. As a rule though it used more as a spatial represnetation and when it's used with numers is about "closeness" rather then percentage based....again this is all subjective on you consider close.....Even doubling from 5 to 10 you can say that "5" is "In The BallPark" of "10"...

No, it isn't subjective and an increase from 5 to 10 is enormous if the scale only goes to 10 - that's a 100% increase. Whatever the initial figure is, an increase of 100% can't possibly be considered small.

In any case, perhaps Blizzard should refrain from using terms like this, lest people are going to lose what little confidence they have, or do you perhaps think that 'drop rates are close to where we want them' instils confidence that Blizzard knows what they're doing if they double it just one day later?

Edit: Everyone can see what this is. The ballpark figure Blizzard had was wrong, so they changed their minds and adjusted it. It's no more complicated than that.
Edited by Vresiberba#2940 on 1/23/2014 2:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
Lol did TheSaint get banned? All of his posts just disappeared...

Good thing though, staring at that much idiocy and stubbornness can have negative effects!
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 02:02 PMPosted by Apathy
Lol did TheSaint get banned? All of his posts just disappeared...

Good thing though, staring at that much idiocy and stubbornness can have negative effects!

Careful, I think discussing moderation is bannable.
Reply Quote
Here's how I imagine loot is calculated for us...

When you connect to a game the server automatically assigns you one of thousands of pre-rolled game worlds.

A pre-rolled world encompasses an entire play through(Act 1 through 4) of the difficulty you chose. I assume Blizzard has a RNG for how many monsters/chest/breakables a game will hold within a set range. I.e. between 2500-4200 monsters, 400-600 breakables, 150-300 chests etc... (Yes I pulled those numbers out of my bum) I would also assume that the loot for this set range of monsters/chests/breakables could also be individually pre-rolled.

With this new system Travis is speaking of, the server could do yet another check before you log in to the game, to see how many combat hours you have logged and assign you a world with better or worse possibility of loot.

This same system could also be used to assign individual pre-rolled acts as you hop around in the new game mode?

In any case, I think this is much more likely. Thousands of pre-rolled game worlds that are RNG assigned to you when entering each game. It just seems like it would take so much less computer power to assign a character a preset game world, than applying all these variables on the fly.

Thoughts?
Edited by ImmortalKing#1546 on 1/23/2014 3:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
It is done like WoW I will assume.

A game is an instance, just like a dungeon. So yes, chests, packs, etc are spawned in instance creation based on whatever algorithm they use for that.

Mobs within that instance have loot tables. Many common mobs are going to share the same loot table. Unique mobs and bosses may have their own. For each loot table there is a pre-defined chance for certain items to drop (blues at X%, rares at Y% and legs at Z%). Each item type also has a set of affixes that can roll from a pre-defined set. Using the Mystic you can see those possiblities.

When you kill that mob RNG rolls the item type you get. Let's say in this case you kill an Elite and RNG gives you a rare. Then RNG rolls the affixes on it based on the options for that item type. That is the very basics.

The item type roll can be modified by your personal stats at the time of mob kill (MF, GF and Leg find rate). Affix rolls are modified by Smart Loot. If the item rolls smart your pool of affixes is more limited to your class. If it does not roll smart then your roll selects from the base affix pool

Take a look at wowhead and how they do WoW bosses and items if you want an idea how it works.

Also...the item "timer" failsafe is very similar to what they put in for the Raid Finder. Each week you go without loot from a particular boss your bonus rolls gain a higher chance for that loot to drop. It means people don't go an entire expansion without a drop at all from a certain boss. RoS is implementing the same concept. If you go way outside the expected time between drop rates (and this would be way past the two hour average) then your leg drop rate percent gets increased.
Edited by MissCheetah#1661 on 1/23/2014 3:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 03:29 PMPosted by JJLXL
Thoughts?

You're wrong.
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 03:45 PMPosted by Redshift
01/23/2014 03:29 PMPosted by JJLXL
Thoughts?

You're wrong.

Can you prove I'm wrong? We're ALL theory crafting here me thinks.
Reply Quote
Looks like that person Droth was debating with got sent to the corner rather forcefully.
Reply Quote
The whole issue of "fun" being explicitly equated to "average periodicity of legendary drops" by both the player base and now the devs (to the extent that timers like this are being implemented) worries me a bit.

Is there nothing to this game (current or planned) other than getting that next legendary to drop?
Reply Quote
MVP
01/23/2014 03:44 PMPosted by MissCheetah
Mobs within that instance have loot tables. Many common mobs are going to share the same loot table. Unique mobs and bosses may have their own. For each loot table there is a pre-defined chance for certain items to drop (blues at X%, rares at Y% and legs at Z%). Each item type also has a set of affixes that can roll from a pre-defined set. Using the Mystic you can see those possiblities.

It's not exactly a loot table.

At least not my definition of a loot table.

There are specific slots where items drop. For example, an elite might be like this. (Keep in mind this is an example, not an actual drop table)

1) Guaranteed Gear Drop Rare
2) Gold
3) Gold or Tome
4) Potion
5) Gem
6) Gold
7) Gold
8) Gear Drop
9) Potion
10) Gear Drop or Gem

So in these slots, the game will do checks to see what the values are. When it gets to the gold portion of the drop, it just determines how much gold, if it's the gear portion, it works exactly how I specified in the thread. Each slot also has its own base chance values. So for example, slot 8 might have a .01% chance to be a Legendary whereas slot 10 might have a .002% chance to be a Legendary.

Now those values will be different for each mob and in varied chances.

Now when I think of a loot table, I think of Boss A might contain a chance to drop a Mempo and a Mempo can only drop from that boss and Boss B might exclusively drop say Death Watch Mantle. But that's not how it works, any Legendary can drop from any enemy.

WoW loot tables have 3 things.

1) What items can drop from that boss
2) What chance for each item.
3) How many items will drop.

A D3 loot table just doesn't restrict certain items to certain enemies.
BattleTag: Drothvader#1215 | Twitter: @Drothvader | Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Drothvader
"Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy! But here's my BattleTag! Add me maybe? O.o
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]