Diablo® III

Say hello to our new "baby nuke" AOrbit

It's just a dirty, dirty skill in ROS.

Arcane Orbit in ROS -

Takes NO attack turn

It's hard to explain how to use it. It has, in a way, two mechanics. A "I'm moving" mechanic...and an "I'm not moving" mechanic. I'll briefly explain both.

1. "I'm moving" - Keep the orbit at 4 stacks always...not 3, not 2...4. When you get ran up on by a couple of mobs, it's nice to know it will knock them for max damage without needing a recast.

2. "I'm not moving" - When you cast AO, there is a delay, as we all know from Live, where your existing orbs (if you have any) will disappear and new ones will come out. There is then a delay before they "arm" as they orbit...and then it's BOOM BOOM BOOM... So here's the best way to describe what I'm doing in Beta with AO.

IF the following criteria are met (And they are met all the time fyi):

A. You are not moving.
B. Enemies are within the melee range that causes AO to explode
C. You have AP to spend

then you do the following:

A. Spam AO by holding down the cast button, in my case, right click.

The effect?

Instead of the steady BOOM - BOOM - BOOM - BOOM you normally would get from casting once and allowing the orbs to detonate as they "rotate into position", you greatly accelerate this effect to BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM. These orbs don't do crazy damage(2xx% per orb I think? Gawd my memory is terrible) but when they are chain cast, they clean up dense mobs with AOE damage real nicely.

Cons?

You're gonna pay for each "accelerated" BOOM when you spam this. 30 AP per cast..your well never went drier faster.

You must be standing still and you must not be channeling anything else to do this. While the skill is designed to not take an attack turn, it can not be "chain cast" while you are doing ANYTHING else. But it is a melee build type that I'm experimenting with. I paired it with Arc Lightning last night and it's a powerhouse. Ok, that's all I got.
Reply Quote
Looks neat! I tried it on the PTR with Prodigy and Surge of Power (infinite AP, WW-like), and it definitely does a lot of damage.

That said, I can channel and AO at the same time just fine. What happens if you try?
Reply Quote
01/24/2014 08:10 AMPosted by mzy
Looks neat! I tried it on the PTR with Prodigy and Surge of Power (infinite AP, WW-like), and it definitely does a lot of damage.
<-- can you explain what you mean by infinite AP?

01/24/2014 08:10 AMPosted by mzy
That said, I can channel and AO at the same time just fine. What happens if you try?

Oh are you "re-clicking" AO while holding channel or..
Are you holding down AO while also holding down channel?

I def know the first one works - the second one only casts AO once for me and then must be "re-clicked" to recast.

You're getting infinite AP - Doh! Why didn't I think of Surge of Power/Prodigy? *Shakes fist at heavens*
Reply Quote
01/24/2014 08:14 AMPosted by Melkor
can you explain what you mean by infinite AP?

I can sustain AO spam against a single enemy. It's not really infinite, I guess, but since you never run out, it might as well be. You don't even need APoC. If this build survives the next 10 weeks of patching it'll be a great transition build for people who come from an Archon setup.

01/24/2014 08:14 AMPosted by Melkor
Oh are you "re-clicking" AO while holding channel or..
Are you holding down AO while also holding down channel?

Oh, yeah, I'm spam-clicking AO. I misread your post originally. I saw the word 'spam' and I figured, OK, it's clickity-click time.

I just tried channeling Electrocute and holding down AO, and that indeed doesn't work, just like you said. It looks like holding down AO makes it cast a little quicker, but at the cost of losing the AP regen from Electrocute. I guess with some practice we should be able to judge fairly accurately which approach is viable when. Some APoC would help too, of course.

[edit] Unrelated sidenote: Blizzard broke the Mirror Images + Stretch Time combo, as expected... but the other Slow Time runes still work fine. My current favourite is Point of No Return, for 5 times 3 seconds stun.
Edited by mzy#1101 on 1/24/2014 8:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hold down AO while clicking Electrocute - Surge of Power

Dps is too low though from what I can see.
Reply Quote
01/24/2014 08:38 AMPosted by Aphraell
Hold down AO while clicking Electrocute - Surge of Power

Dps is too low though from what I can see.

You need damage buffs to Arcane Damage and Arcane Orb to realize its value - but I do admit that the DPS of the base skill is lackluster. That being said, it's attack turn free, no cool down spam-able damage!
Reply Quote
Can you comment on why this is better than explosive blast?
Reply Quote
Explosive Blast is not spammable.
Reply Quote
Oh yes... cooldown. Stupid question. Thanks.
Reply Quote
01/24/2014 08:54 AMPosted by mzy
Explosive Blast is not spammable.

Well there's also another reason. Gear Synergy - though I admit in my current iteration, I'm not taking advantage of what I'm about to describe.

Our most common damage type delivered is Arcane.

So if you're using a channeling spell like oh, ANY of the Disintegrates, Arcane Torrent, Starpact, most of the magic missile runes, Familiar, Wave of Force, etc... and you have bonuses to Arcane Damage on your gear...this fits in nicely as it is the most common type we deal out.

And yeah, no cooldown, no attack turn.
Reply Quote
I don't fully understand what the difference is of these two things:

15% damage to Arcane Skills
15% damage to Arcane Orb

Assuming I'm using Arcane Orbit, which deals Arcane Damage, which buff would I rather have, mzy? And yeah I realize that the first is better for blanketing all skills that deal arcane vs the specificity of the second...but regarding this ONE skill, are these two buffs equal?
Reply Quote
I... think so? The PTR does not exactly drop magnificent loot, so I've had no reason to switch in any gear from 2.0.1. Can't wait for open beta for RoS. :(

If I were to guess, it's possible that pieces of gear with +15% Arcane Orb Damage stack additively (1 + 0.15 + 0.15 = 1.30), while pieces of AO damage and Arcane Damage stack multiplicatively ( (1 + 0.15) * (1 + 0.15) = 1.3225). If that's indeed the case, then mixing the two types of gear would be the most efficient.

I bet doly can give a more definitive answer.

[edit] Haha, that was fast. :D
Edited by mzy#1101 on 1/24/2014 9:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/24/2014 09:01 AMPosted by Melkor
are these two buffs equal?

I believe so - or at least I have been operating under the assumption that they are and they are additive to each other (15% arcane + 15% arcane orb = +30% to arcane orb damage). Some testing is probably needed to confirm but a dev did demo a new UI enhancement that would make that testing unnecessary so I haven't bothered - it just hasn't made it into game yet. It is possible that they are multiplicative with each other too, in which case they result would be slightly higher.

A test shouldn't be too hard to do but I would have to keep an eye out for dropped gear with suitable affixes before I could.

-dolynick
Edited by dolynick#1290 on 1/24/2014 9:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/24/2014 09:09 AMPosted by mzy
[edit] Haha, that was fast. :D

We must have been replying at the same time. :p

Sadly, my answer isn't exactly "definitive" either.

-dolynick
Edited by dolynick#1290 on 1/24/2014 9:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thing is there aren't any slots where you could roll both/either buff. Like you can get arcane torrent damage on the helm but you cant just get flat arcane damage, unless it's a legendary I'm guessing.

So really, it's a moot point. IF you wanted to buff the hell out of Arcane Orb/Arcane Orbit, you would take Arcane Damage/Arcane Orb buffs wherever you can without interfering with other damage modifying stats.

So that's:
20% on leg bracers/15% on rares
20% on leg amulets/15% on rares
15% to the skill on Rare Boots (20% on legs?)
15% to the skill on Rare Shoulders (20% on legs?)
20% to the skill on Rare Sources/15% on Rares <--but i think you can also roll % to elemental here as well...not to mention the triumvirate. man, that is one tempting item.
15% to the skill on chest
15% to the skill on belt.

You can end up with a super powerful skill. Except you can't roll all skills in every slot. Like I can only do electrocute on belt and source and i have to stack elemental % elsewhere. It's def a lot of work to manage it all lol
Reply Quote
an oculus or chantado's force have AO crit chance rolls...dont know if that helps...I have an oculus with APOC and + 7 % to AO crit chance
Reply Quote
Skill bonus on sources is new to the last patch, so that may change things a bit but previously I was pretty sure that you were limited to 2 of each.

(speaking in rares)
2 of +15% to damage type skills (amulets & bracers)
and
2 of +15% to specific skill (available on only 2 armor slots out of the 4)

That would add up to 60% - which is a pretty sizeable buff because it's muliplicative with the rest of our dps buff types. I guess sources make it up to 75% now? The catch is that if you give up too many/much of other dps buff affixes for it, you won't come out ahead - maybe even behind. It also pigeon-holes you into a much more specific build and I can see having multiple pieces saved up to swap out as you change builds (demand on storage space).

The stacking does still need verification but I know Jaetch did do some basic testing and his results seemed to be pretty on par with how I've been guessing it works.

-dolynick
Edited by dolynick#1290 on 1/24/2014 9:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
Bad news.... :(

+ specific skill % is additive with our other additive buffs.

If you have +15% to Arcane Orb, it's stacks additively with other buffs like MW, Sparkflint, etc.

Example:

Sparkflint (+10%), +8% familiar is:
base dmg * 1.79 * 1.18
and not
base dmg * 1.79 * 1.08 * 1.1

The good news is that +% skill damage type is multiplicative

Example:
Sparkflint (+10%), +15% fire skill damage, +8% familiar is:
base dmg * 1.79 * 1.15 * 1.18

It's a bit disappointing but at least it's not all bad.

-dolynick
Reply Quote
Ew. :(
Reply Quote
01/24/2014 12:27 PMPosted by mzy
Ew. :(

I know...

It also means that in any case where you have other additive buffs in your build, +%damage type is going to be clearly stronger than +%specific skill.

Also, I only had 1 piece of +% fire damage gear to test with. I'm still assuming that two would be additive (15+15 = +30%). I think it's a safe bet but not tested to be 100% certain.

-dolynick
Edited by dolynick#1290 on 1/24/2014 12:41 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]