Diablo® III

Got new SSD for diablo

HIGHLY recommended.

My rig is pretty old about 5 years.

But most of the parts were upgraded at that time and is still pretty relevant.

ATI 5870 2gb
I5 2.67gz processor
8g DDR ram
etc

My old 1.5T HD was a total slug.

Bought a very basic 120GB SSD just for windows and D3 + w/e programs I use regularly.

OMFG.... what an upgrade. Run max settings with numbers, etc. No start up stutter, barely loses frames. This is all solo of course. in crypts still got lag from server.

Welcome to the 21st century as silvefire said....
Reply Quote
N00b tech guy here. I've seen your name around the forums before.

Also, there's another guy named Melkor who posts all the time and stuff.

Jk, it's me loser.

Yo with a mac, can I buy a SSD and have a similar result?

The first sentence of this post was true.
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 12:01 PMPosted by Boozor
in crypts still got lag from server.

This is still the problem!
Reply Quote
<3 my SSD

Biggest single component upgrade for noticeable performance increase in all aspects.
Reply Quote
Melk your Mac runs on ssd probably already. You can always upgrade to like a samsung 840 pro which is faster
Reply Quote
Don't know anything about MACS, cept their overpriced :P

@BDF

This is what my RL friend told me as well, didn't believe him. Best $100 ever spent in terms of computer parts.

Highly recommended.... totally a shame I get on board now being so close to the end of my vanilla life.
Reply Quote
I ran diablo on my ssd but I ended up loading screens too fast when playing in groups.
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 12:44 PMPosted by JellzRoc
Melk your Mac runs on ssd probably already. You can always upgrade to like a samsung 840 pro which is faster

Thank you jelly :)
Reply Quote
SSD's are so cheap, might as well get another and go RAID0.

That's what I did with my 80GB X25-M.
Reply Quote
View profile
In theory, retrieving data from a spinning hard drive should be the main bottleneck compared to CPU, motherboard buses, memory, graphics processor. None of those things have a mechanical component except the traditional hard drive which has spinning platters and a moving arm that accesses the data. SSD = no moving parts. You guys remember my thread about SSDs and 0 load lag? I'm frequently ahead of people when they take the waypoint before I do!

01/28/2014 12:23 PMPosted by jenpeezey
This is still the problem!

PZ! Have you not been around or have I just somehow missed all your posts recently?
Reply Quote
I've been using SSD's exclusively for around 6 years now, starting with the original X25-M a few months before it was released to the public. At the time, they were rather unreliable, and that bothered me, but even in spite of that, it was impossible to go back to mechanical. I absolutely can't stand using any computer without an SSD. I notice it right off the bat even when it comes to something simple like opening the start menu. That delay...just so painful. It's like yodatoy's downgrading from gg to <200k SNS. Feels terrible.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 1/28/2014 1:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 01:07 PMPosted by ChangBooster
PZ! Have you not been around or have I just somehow missed all your posts recently?

Been super busy with muh new puppies.

Both are excellent little brawlers except one is a tank (she's from a litter of super sized pups).
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 01:48 PMPosted by jenpeezey
01/28/2014 01:07 PMPosted by ChangBooster

Both are excellent little brawlers except one is a tank (she's from a litter of super sized pups).

Raising them to fight? I know how that is
Reply Quote
View profile
01/28/2014 01:07 PMPosted by Junger

That's debatable. Yeah, you'll get a little faster performance but at twice the price and twice the failure rate (i.e. chance of data loss). I'd rather spend the money on a larger drive so you can install all your games on it.

01/28/2014 01:48 PMPosted by jenpeezey

Oh glad to see you are having fun with your little bow-wows!
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 02:03 PMPosted by ChangBooster
That's debatable. Yeah, you'll get a little faster performance but at twice the price and twice the failure rate (i.e. chance of data loss). I'd rather spend the money on a larger drive so you can install all your games on it.

Depends on the application of the type of data, but RAID0 SSD's give pretty significant boosts over single SSD's in large sequential read/writes. Sure for web browsing, listening to music, it won't make a difference.

I've run a RAID0 in every rig I've had (including old Maxtor 40GB mechanical drives), and never had an array failure. Not saying it can't happen, but I also don't store data on an array so I'm not worried. I'd rather have a 40%+ faster sequential read/write drive that I can also install all my games on.

My array will probably fail tonight because of this post. GG.
Reply Quote
Booz mate, what is the exact spec of the SSD you bought? GOt a link on where to buy??
Reply Quote
Samsung evo 120gb

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TE120BW/dp/B00E3W15P0
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 02:27 PMPosted by Junger
've run a RAID0 in every rig I've had (including old Maxtor 40GB mechanical drives), and never had an array failure. Not saying it can't happen, but I also don't store data on an array so I'm not worried. I'd rather have a 40%+ faster sequential read/write drive that I can also install all my games on.

I used to be like this, then in 2007 I had an array fail after around 3 years. It left such a sour taste in my mouth that I never went back...:-/

And yes, you're tempting fate with a post like that.
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 01:07 PMPosted by Junger

That's what I did with my 80GB X25-M.

My computer takes longer to initialize the raid array than it does to boot on a single SSD. Games are instant anyway.

If i did big video or photo editing I might be tempted, but for my uses it just adds risk with no benefit.
Reply Quote
Putting an SSD drive in my machine completely cured the micro stuttering problem I had. Now to get one for my laptop!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]