Diablo® III

Patch 2.0, RoS and my story

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11422272578

1. AH closure announcement.....emotion: that shucks.
2. Loot 2.0 and RoS announcement....emotion: excited
3. PTR and beta release....emotion: left out
4. Reading Patch 2.0 and RoS reviews....emotion: unsatisfied

from 1-4, I quit and came back 2 times. and built a barb. played little. Still took advantage of AH while it's still around.

But in the end, RoS doesn't seem positive. It's going to be same old D3 without AH which happened to be a killer for some of older generations who don't have time to grind.

My paypal account is full and may be save up for some Ebay auctioning.

Moral of the story? too much break time between Live D3 and RoS. Beta is beta. Boozor once said he never plays PTR b/c PTR is PTR. It's not worth the effort since it's not real.

PoE is recommended by a lot of people...have not decided on hopping on the train yet though.
Reply Quote
go clean teeth and relax dude. just play when you can, or don't. no AH best thing to happen to d3 yet.
Reply Quote
View profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMbvcp480Y4
Reply Quote
I still play PTR because I don't mind my progress being erased (but there must be a good reason for that of course). Sure I don't grind on PTR lol

Just saying, you play a game mostly for fun.
Reply Quote
01/27/2014 08:25 AMPosted by lameboi
go clean teeth and relax dude. just play when you can, or don't. no AH best thing to happen to d3 yet.

why is this good?

don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those omg they changed it now it suxxxx i'm leaving blizzard i h8 u forever anyone who thinks otherwise is a casual sheep am i cool no xD tantrum kids or anything... but I'm not happy about AH going away. I'm still getting RoS. I get that this is a game and although there are some things I don't particularly like and would prefer to be different; e.g. stats, skillpoints a-l-a d2lod, but I'm still finding the game enjoyable overall despite all of these little particularities.

Please note I'm not implying you're a fanboy or a shill or anything for supporting the change either, I'm really just curious about the rationale behind why removing AH is a good thing.

I like it because; I don't have a lot of time to play/grind; I'm an adult. I have a job, I have social commitments. I don't feel particularly sorry for myself or as if I am somehow being wronged in not being to get l33t l00tz because of having less time to grind. That's life and I'm fine with the fact that I have more pressing commitments than Diablo. I still like videogames, I did when I was younger, and I still enjoy them today. AH gave me the chance to get the cool and powerful items through trading acumen as opposed to raw time investment which I believe is fair. I don't give a crap about the whole "buying your way to the top" because frankly I want to play the game to get the cool stuff because I enjoy playing the game; I don't even want to be 'carried' to get an HF ring and have been holding off on the numerous available carries to get one until I can gear up and refine my build to the point that I can fight the ubers myself; not necessarily collecting all the machines and doing all the runs solo; but getting to a point where I can be a contributing member of a group that fights ubers on MP10.

so AH going away is a bad thing for me. It doesn't ruin the game for me, but I'm not happy about it.

why are you for removing the AH? I don't mean this argumentatively or combatatively; I'm genuinely curious about the position because I do not understand it at all. I'm against people who are reacting immaturely in response to the petition (look at all the whining in general; I think those are jackasses), but I don't get the rationale behind the change.
Reply Quote
See you March 25th yoda!
Reply Quote
I've been around long enough and lurking enough to say that stop entertaining yoda by replying to these threads of his. If he's on 3/25, great; if he's not, oh well. At this point, it's almost like attention seeking...
Reply Quote
01/27/2014 09:06 AMPosted by orb
I've been around long enough and lurking enough to say that stop entertaining yoda by replying to these threads of his. If he's on 3/25, great; if he's not, oh well. At this point, it's almost like attention seeking...
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
01/27/2014 08:41 AMPosted by Larry
why are you for removing the AH? I don't mean this argumentatively or combatatively; I'm genuinely curious about the position because I do not understand it at all. I'm against people who are reacting immaturely in response to the petition (look at all the whining in general; I think those are jackasses), but I don't get the rationale behind the change.

The AH was meant to be a "Safe" way to trade (i.e. buy). In D2 there was a ton of scamming, mostly involving buying things on ebay, etc (from what I understand). The AH certainly corrected that. It was also meant to be a place that you went to in order to buy 1 or 2 items in order to fill out your set from items that you had found in game.

Well, that's not how it worked out. Everybody posted everything on the AH...and, considering how many items drop for everybody across the server, it would be full of GG items in a day with good drop rates. So, drop rates (or at least the rate of dropping items with good rolls) were adjusted to what you see today so that there is a balance supply and demand of items available on the AH. Also, most people eventually filled out their entire gearset from the AH...and that wasn't good for the game.

But, shopping for your gear on the AH is not rewarding. People want to get drops of items from monsters. People want to farm the game, not the AH and third-party gold sites. So, that's why in ROS there is no AH and all items are now BOA......you must find all your items from drops...and the only trading that can occur is with the people that you were playing in game with (i.e. to prevent people from selling/trading items for $ and eliminate botting). At least, that's my general view of the evolution of the AH and where we are today.
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 1/27/2014 9:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/27/2014 08:52 AMPosted by BDF
See you March 25th yoda!

Edit: I'll crosspost what I wrote in Wayne's thread here because it applies

It's a game for heaven's sake. Play it when you feel like it, don't when you don't...that simple.

Stuff like "quitting" and "burning bridges" just doesn't compute.

This is another reason why getting rid of AH3 is a good thing, so people can see the game for merely what it is- a GAME. Not something that they either have to invest in or liquidate.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 1/27/2014 9:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
Ty piehole...

I guess i understand that.

Yeah i played D2/lod and relied on found for the most part since trade was such a cluster-!@#$ for lack of a better term. I liked ah since there was viable trade now without the spamming / viruses / goatse. And i need trade now bc i cant grind like i did back then (time)

Dont agree with the rationale for removal but i suppose i understand the position now

I guess if they 'fix' drop rates then things could be fine; i'm just skeptical about them finding a good droprate that makes higher mp possible for casuals that doesnt ruin the game for grinders or vice versa. Oh well; we'll see
Edited by Larry#1370 on 1/27/2014 10:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/27/2014 09:06 AMPosted by orb

You are right. Good point! but I also wanted to put the same post from the barb forum except share my point of view.
Reply Quote
01/27/2014 09:47 AMPosted by silverfire
This is another reason why getting rid of AH3 is a good thing, so people can see the game for merely what it is- a GAME. Not something that they either have to invest in or liquidate.

another good point.
Reply Quote
We all have ways we like to express ourselves in the wizard forums. At the end of the day, as repetitive as Yoda's "goodbye" posts are, they each and every one of them spark discussions, banter, and camaraderie. It's better than a silent forum. I also go back and forth on this opinion like all the time lol.
Reply Quote
View profile
01/27/2014 09:52 AMPosted by Larry
And i need trade now bc i cant grind like i did back then (time)

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm one of the people that is going to suffer with this model. I can only play 1-2 hours a day due to RL. Family, kids, etc. I'm certainly going to be left in the dust, so to speak, by other gg forums members who have the availability to play more.

01/27/2014 08:41 AMPosted by Larry
I don't give a crap about the whole "buying your way to the top" because frankly I want to play the game to get the cool stuff because I enjoy playing the game;

Actually, you are going to be alot better off in ROS. Let's be honest here, Larry, even with the AH your gear is......lacking....compared to me...and other people have much better gear that I.

Both of us are going to be behind whether there's an AH or not. Even is somebody gave me $10,000 to make the best wiz on the planet I could not do it. I don't have the time to source the best-of-the-best gear on d3up, or diablofans, or the blizz trade forum, or that chinese trading site, or friends of friends of friends. How is ROS going to be different? Those that have the time, instead of playing trade and AH, will farm, farm, farm now to get ahead. And they'll still be ahead of us. Thing is, you can FIND gear now that will allow you to play at T1 and maybe T2 with a modest investment of time. Who knows if either of us will even play T6 (lilke I do MP10)....but at least in ROS I'll have the same chance as everybody to drop GG gear as everybody else....whereas now it takes a ton of time/money.

I'm not sure where I was going with all of that...but, it went somewhere. Lol.

TL;DR in ROS people with more time will get ahead....just like they do no. However, ROS seems to close that gap somewhat by providing drops that you can actually use.

Edited by PieHole#1628 on 1/27/2014 10:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Here's an example of why there's no AH. I am using a Blind Faith helm on the PTR. It has a 22% chance to blind. It is by no means OP but it does help out with crowd control and the blind effect happens frequently enough to be useful. You can't permablind or anything like that with it. It is useful by itself but...

Promise of Glory gives you a 5% chance to spawn a neph glory globe whenever you blind an enemy. I really really really want a Promise of Glory. Who wouldn't want more neph glory globes? If I could just punch up the AH and snag one with int, CC and vit...what reason do I have to play? I want to play as much as possible because sooner or later I'll find the bracer that I want. It might not have the stats that I want or the stats might not be high enough for my liking so I still gotta farm and look for a better one even after I get my first one.

For the casual player, the first Promise of Glory / Blind Faith combo might be enough for them to have fun and play with friends. To the hardcore (not necessarily hardcore mode, you know what I mean) player, you just see your first set as stepping stones. You think, "I need more armor on this bracer", "This helm would be better with a skill bonus instead of vit," and so on.
Reply Quote
seriously
AH took the fun out of the game for me
upgrade this upgrade that chase chase chase blah blah

rather just rely on drops, if they come they come, if not, they don't. even better the drops are limited to the people in my party, gives me a good reason to find a group of people to game with again.

this change is best for the social aspect of this game. dont have more than an hour to play a day? find some friends that you can jump in with quick! oh whats that? wizard forum has a mumble where people play together at night? i guess more people will be joining that server to make sure we all have people we can grind together with and share our drops with!

yes, AH3 was a horrible idea for the diablo franchise. we all watched vanilla crash and burn (it did. eff vanilla, i had fun, but the fun im having is NOW since i dont really mess with AH at all except to sell my gg gear and buy decent set pieces to prep my chars for RoS-- sidenote, notice the wiz set is only set for all my chars im not using. tal rasha's sucks no matter what lol).
Reply Quote
View profile
01/27/2014 10:14 AMPosted by lameboi
yes, AH3 was a horrible idea for the diablo franchise.

Well, the original intention was to make a place for people to safely trade. And it did.

But it was a huge fail after that for a variety of reasons. I think in a perfect world it would be great....but it became something very different when people started to take advantage of it....as people always do.

I wish that there was a better way to post an item for trade....with what'd you like in return. i.e.

--- I have 3 CC Mempo with 180 INT and 75 AR
--- looking for OS Chant Will with 1140 to 1160 DPS and 0.23 to 0.24 AS.

...and if someone happens to have just that type of Chant Will....then you click 'trade'

I think the infrastructure for the AH could be reworked for something like this....however....that still leaves you scouring the AH looking for the best "deal". I mean, you're gonna put your 1150 DPS/0.23 Chant Will into the AH and someone is "accidentally" going to post a 6 CC Mempo...not knowing its value. You just "won" the AH. Now, rinse/repeat for the other 12 pieces of gear. And you're gonna have 10 of your items out for trade...and spend the rest of your time searching for good deals.

You'd just create a different meta-game.
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 1/27/2014 10:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
oh don't get me wrong lol. I wasn't under any delusion I was anywhere near being a "good" or high tier player with my current thing due to my incredible AH skillz or anything :p

I'm just saying without AH I would still be struggling through MP0 inferno with found gear; but thanks to AH I can have some sense of progression and actually play like MP8 and have some fun and sense of progression by gradually upgrading my things based on accumulating funds and having an idea of what I want rather than adapting my playstyle to what gear I happen to find. This also has a bit to do with the fact that D3 is much much more gear-based than its predecessors. In D2/Lod your gear supplemented your build. In D3 your build supplements your gear. You CANNOT run certain builds unless you have the appropriate gear; so doing a real build to play higher MP is extremely contingent on having certain types of stuff overall; i.e. imagine trying to play a cm/ww with found gear.
Reply Quote
1. AH closure announcement.....emotion: great idea.
2. Loot 2.0 and RoS announcement....emotion: awesome.
3. Playing the PTR....emotion: holy sh!t this game sucks @$$ from a straw lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]