Diablo® III

CM gear question for Wizard Guru's

I recently found an Apoc force and decided to swap Storm Crow for a helm with a socket to speed up leveling before CM is gone with next patch.
I lost nearly 500 LOH with the swap but my APS went to the 2.98 range.
So now I have trouble with RD and electrified elites.
My question is should I re-gear the gloves to get 3% attack speed and a higher breakpoint or rework the Ammy and try to add LOH on it.
The other problem is that good LOH Ammys are 1 - 2 B's.
Thanks.

Spike is the character I was referring to.
Edited by Down#1305 on 1/28/2014 4:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
The problem is not freeze. You have all the stats necessary to freeze properly. The problem is your defense. You need almost double your LoH and a lot more health. For MP10, you should have around 1k LoH and 50k life. The best place to find LoH is through an amulet. You don't even need ias in your amulet, just as long as you hit 2.73 (or 2.723) aps.
Reply Quote
@Kiza, I wasn't sure if hitting more times per second would help LOH. My thought was more hits per second would equal more life per second. Freezing is fine.
Reply Quote
You lost half your life returned on hit in exchange for less than %10 more ticks. You massively lost healing.

Get a LoH ring/ammy or go back to storm crow.
Reply Quote
Higher attack speed means more hits, which helps LoH, yes, but against Reflect Damage packs, more hits also means more damage being reflected. In the end, it comes out as a wash.

The 3.001 breakpoint is unnecessary for general SNS farming. At low-to-mid tier gear, it will just hurt you.

For end game gear, CC Mempo + APoC Force + LoH ring is pretty much the best you can do. However, at your budget going that route will hurt your efficiency, just like going for the 3.001 breakpoint does. Unless you have a couple of billion to spend, stick with the Storm Crow. If the Force is really that good, just sell it and use the proceeds to 1) get significant upgrades to the remainder of your gear (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au8ww0OMLJ0), and 2) to take with you into RoS.

By the way, your Hellfire ring is really bad. You'd be better off just using a rare ring and playing 1 MP higher.
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 06:29 AMPosted by mzy
For end game gear, CC Mempo + APoC Force + LoH ring is pretty much the best you can do.

Don't let aimless see that.
Reply Quote
hey guys, I have a similar CM wizard gearing question

I juggled some gear around and managed to make the 2.73 breakpoint and 55CC at a slight cost to LoH (at about ~700) but a significant hit to AR and hp.

I've been playing some MP10 groups with this current loadout and have been having a blast; I don't really feel liike I'm being 'carried' but I wouldn't exactly consider myself capable of 'carrying' anyone else through MP10, or think I would enjoy playing it solo. But I DO feel like I'm pulling my own weight by virtue of the support/utility nature of the CM build I can keep mobs/elites basically permafrozen while doing excruciatingly slow damage but letting the heavy hitting DHs and barbs kill them with relative impunity.

I think my next step is to do some vitality shoulder crafting until I can get a nice one with +AR; which should offset my current AR vulnerability (I reckon one more piece of AR armor should bring all my values to the 400/+ range because a few are still in the 380 range at present and put me at a comfortable health level with the only tradeoff being a bit of DPS; but DPS never really was the strong point of my wiz anyways.

Is this a sound plan? swap current shoulders for +vit/AR shoulders; overall hp/def increase to "acceptable" parameters at a slight DPS loss; should retain 2.73APS breakpoint/55CC/700LoH.

I reckon this shouldn't affect my usefulness in groups where what I'm really bringing to the table is permafreeze; but should give me some latitude in solo-play since I solo-play lower MPs anyways and i think that my hp/AR is the main aspect of my current setup which is "below spec.
Reply Quote
You are correct in that bumping your ias to meet the next bp will increase LoH return, but it's not going to be anywhere near 500 LoH. Thus, I thought you were after more freeze, my bad.
Reply Quote
Larry: get Nat's boots for the 2-set bonus, Nat's ring with CC instead of LoH, BT pants with AR or 350 Arm for the LoH, and IAS and AR on your gloves instead of the CD.

Your shoulders are fantastic. Don't touch them.
Edited by mzy#1101 on 1/28/2014 6:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 06:58 AMPosted by mzy
Larry: get Nat's boots for the 2-set bonus, Nat's ring with CC instead of LoH, BT pants with AR or 350 Arm for the LoH, and IAS and AR on your gloves instead of the CD.

Your shoulders are fantastic. Don't touch them.

ty for the detailed suggestion!

I do have a pair of nat shoes in stash; I got those and the ice climbers yesterday and in general I keep a lot of my old gear in case I get new things and need to re-gear towards different general CM things (i.e. I have a bunch of mediocore IAS/CC/LoH items of all sorts) including BT pants/ammy. I think I can try something like what you're describing with the only new purchase being some IAS gloves (the ones I'm wearing are ones I found lol)

I will look into that; however I also do have an offer on some +AR lacunis in another thread which I missed yesterday so; I'm not 100% sure if that's still on the table, but if those are I'll be incorporating those into the mix and tweaking everything else accordingly.

I'll see what I can do tweak-wise with gloves that I can afford so long as I can keep that 2.73 breakpoint which the new pants gave me (stands to reason I can keep it if I get the same IAS value on gloves). I'll see what I can do!

Yeah I was really worried about dropping my current shoulders; they were my lucky first crafted shoulders. spent like 4m afterwards trying to top them and just couldn't (ran out of tomes lol). I love the nice vit & life boost, the only thing keeping them from 'perfect' in my eyes is AR
Edited by Larry#1370 on 1/28/2014 7:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
@MZY your looking at the wrong toon. Spike is the one in question. The other one is already plvl 100 and being used as a spare clothes closet. Take a second look if you would.
Reply Quote
I have a plvl 100 DH and just started playing my WD...bought the best gear I could in AH but need advice on where to start upgrades and what skill set to use...is there another way to play the WD that is not CM...and how will ROS change the WD...should I consider building for that addition?...I am willing to buy good gear at a fair price...BTW Down is a very good player and friend and has helped me a lot...many thanks in advance to any of you who can give me advice...I remain a WD beginner...
Reply Quote
Update. Got a cheap LOH ammy to try. Put my LOH up to 1200 ish.
Seems to be the trick.
If anyone has a better ammy for sale let me know.
Thanks for the help people.
Reply Quote
"Spike" Looks great.

No real issues. GJ.
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 12:55 PMPosted by Down
@MZY your looking at the wrong toon. Spike is the one in question. The other one is already plvl 100 and being used as a spare clothes closet. Take a second look if you would.

The only things I would consider is finding an ammy with 900+ LoH, 9+ CC, plus other DPS rolls, and then switching out the BT pants for a nice pair of rares with Int, Vit, AR, 2 OS and optionally Armor. The ammy should really give an increase in DPS to be worth it, though, and you'd lose a quarter of your LoH. You have more than you need, but that's a nice luxury to have.

Beyond that, I agree with Boozor. Solidly built, no weaknesses.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]