Diablo® III

Question to oldies or ones with kids...RoS

who are you callin old punk?

just because someone isn't a teenager or has a fulltime job and other commitments social or otherwise doesn't make them some sort of old fart lol.

Just because someone isn't a kid doesn't mean you can call them old, that isn't very nice.

anyways I digress. But to answer your "corrected" question of "what are you grown-ups who don't have time to grind going to do when RoS comes out?"

I'm still going to be playing; in all likelihood not on as high of an MP as I do now; but playing nonetheless. Before coming onto this forum and reading about real builds and getting all sorts of helpful freebies (which would have been impossible with BoA) and shopping advice (which would have been useless without AH) to facilitate a high MP capable character I was basically able to bumble through Normal-Hell(10) and Inferno(0) with found gear; and I would imagine the same will be possible for the new difficulty level systems.

The base difficulties should still be doable with 'found gear' and worth a playthrough.

It is quite possible that the process of improvement will become insurmountable to the point that I stop playing after getting all my characters through torment(0) act 5 but so be it; I'm still gettin RoS, The Diablo franchise has yet to disappoint me; I'm fine with buying this expansion pack.

and you never know; I feel pretty doubtful about this hyped "loot 2.0" system; the idea of a system which will be good for both the kids who can grind for hours and hours and adults who only have a couple hours a night if even that seems pretty unfeasible; someone's not going to get what they want; we'll just see who it is; and I am well aware that "we" are not really the primary target audience or focus group determinant which this decision will be made to cater towards; but that's fine; I've still had a good time, and I am confident that I will get my 40$ worth with RoS, as I got my 60$ Worth with D3, and D2/Lod when I played them back in the day, and D1 before that.
Reply Quote
Yoda, it seems to me that you do not like Diablo. Because if you did, it would simply not matter if you were farming normal, expert, or torment 6. (At least under the expectation that you move up difficulty with the correlated amount of time played etc). Even if you could only play for one hour a week, you will still be making your own build based on your own drops.

To be blunt; I found your bi-weekly "quitting" posts annoying, but tolerable. However, I find the more recent "oh no I can't buy winning" posts tedious. It's a game. If you dont like its mechanics, then just dont play. I hope you do play though, because farming with you once in a while would be better than not.
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 05:52 AMPosted by yodatoy
BDF, just love me. Same $%#@, but directed toward oldies.

I don't have to dislike you to find this topic annoying.

We're all losing things we liked about D3V, we're adapting, you will too.
Reply Quote
I'll be here grinding and accepting what teh Gear Gods bestow upon me.
Reply Quote
SUPER MAN DAT HOE!

I'm 50/50 on ROS still.

Yeah, I have some concerns about the rewards vs. effort due to BoA, and removal of AH. I can pretty much dedicate 2hrs/night playing if I wanted to, but could I do something that's more rewarding/fun in those 2 hours? Maybe. Such as play Elder Scrolls: Online, home improvement projects, or go to the indoor golf range.

I've gotten 2 pretty decent drops on PTR, but still I've played a decent amount and the time/benefit isn't that great for me. But, this was all done on Master 60. So based on an incomplete PTR experience, I'm undecided.
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 06:58 AMPosted by Eciton
"oh no I can't buy winning" posts tedious.

1. this topic was directed toward people who are not in 20-30's.
2. this topic was directed toward those with kids
3. I can say that most professionals with families can depend on AH to improve their gears if they want to at anytime.
4. so I'm sure they have different view toward RoS where it's going to be all about grinding and making a build according to what you find.
5. so I wanted to see if how they feel about it.

just wanted to chit chat with oldies...and i'm sure they have been reading about RoS...
Reply Quote
1. You posted on a forum which is public. You can address whomever you like, but expecting people not to answer based on classifications is Whateverist. Ageist on this case, I suppose.
2. Kids are definitely a time sink. So is law school. (Im not in law school. My point is that being a parent is not necessary to being busy.
3. True. So? RoS will have a different paradigm, for good or for ill. Suck it up, or don't.
4. Absolutely, and expressing that opinion is important and valuable. I take issue not with your expression, but with the "i must be the one" mentality you employ. You said it yourself, non ah warriors and non grinders can still play mp 1-5. No one says you need play torment 6.
5. Fair enough. Again, I think its a good question, and no doubt you are losing out, so i understand the possible frustration. Nevertheless, the way you express it is annoying to me, because it has a "woh is me" vibe to it.

Please don't discriminate. I believe I can learn as much from you as you can from me. My age ought not to be relevant to whether that's true.
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 08:32 AMPosted by yodatoy
3. I can say that most professionals with families can depend on AH to improve their gears if they want to at anytime.

Yeah but the thing is...

You CAN'T say that.
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 08:50 AMPosted by Eciton
2. Kids are definitely a time sink. So is law school. (Im not in law school. My point is that being a parent is not necessary to being busy.

The thing with kids is, their needs and time schedules are very inflexible, alongside a working schedule.

Law school really isn't comparable tbh.
Reply Quote
My age ought not to be relevant to whether that's true.

OK, Eciton, whatever age you are (21?), teach those of us almost twice or twice your age something we haven't lived already.

Second, you hate yoda's typical yoda posts, so why are you still reading them?
Reply Quote
01/30/2014 05:02 PMPosted by jenpeezey
01/30/2014 04:36 PMPosted by yodatoy
And we oldies want to try...but unfortunately, we can't bc we can't grind long enough to find an item or don't have enough gold from lack of farming...so we can't craft/reroll.

Yoda, you should ask yourself why you want to continue to grind or "work" when you clearly don't enjoy it after a day of working on people's oral disasters and playing with your kiddos then herding them into bed every night.

Hearthstone or something else more pickup/putdown sounds more like your cup of tea although you seem to have an addictive shopping personality, so maybe Hearthstone isn't the best idea for you.

I think the community will keep bringing him back no matter what.

Around 1000 hours and >40k elite kills on wizard yoda, shows that you probably like playing the game more than you let on (and more than you probably realize yourself)
Reply Quote
5. Fair enough. Again, I think its a good question, and no doubt you are losing out, so i understand the possible frustration. Nevertheless, the way you express it is annoying to me, because it has a "woh is me" vibe to it.

what is woh?

bdf, ection, you guys are right. I admit that RoS QQing is annoying.

Boozor said it...RoS is going to be a completely different game than D3. so I guess we need to adapt with different mental approach with RoS although shouldn't an expansion be a game that is built upon the previous version and not a brand new game?

01/31/2014 08:50 AMPosted by Melkor
Yeah but the thing is...

You CAN'T say that.

sorry I didn't think through...

I think Yori said once..."do not feed this fool"... =) but hey, even if it is your negative hating comments, I do enjoy reading them. everyone will express their opinion whether it be pleasant or harsh. =)
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 08:32 AMPosted by yodatoy
01/31/2014 06:58 AMPosted by Eciton
"oh no I can't buy winning" posts tedious.

1. this topic was directed toward people who are not in 20-30's.
2. this topic was directed toward those with kids
4. so I'm sure they have different view toward RoS where it's going to be all about grinding and making a build according to what you find.
5. so I wanted to see if how they feel about it.

just wanted to chit chat with oldies...and i'm sure they have been reading about RoS...

im 29 years old with a child and a business. ;)
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 09:55 AMPosted by yodatoy
so I guess we need to adapt with different mental approach with RoS although shouldn't an expansion be a game that is built upon the previous version and not a brand new game?

The original game was effed up in several ways, so a course correction was demanded by the fans of the Diablo series and deemed necessary by the dev team.
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 09:32 AMPosted by jenpeezey
OK, Eciton, whatever age you are (21?), teach those of us almost twice or twice your age something we haven't lived already.

Second, you hate yoda's typical yoda posts, so why are you still reading them?

Not directed at me - don't care. Gonna comment anyway.

Age does not equal experience. It equals age.

Yoda doesn't reserve the right to simply "close off" his posts to the rest of the community. They're here. They get looked at. They get commented on. So do mine. Always have. Always will.

01/31/2014 09:55 AMPosted by yodatoy
I think Yori said once..."do not feed this fool"... =) but hey, even if it is your negative hating comments, I do enjoy reading them. everyone will express their opinion whether it be pleasant or harsh. =)

Yeah see I'm not being hateful Yoda. I'm not being negative. I'm simply commenting on you making yet another ridiculously over generalized comment about a mass of people.. ie: Australia is two extremes. ie: Those who have professional careers and families can always use the AH. ie: No one posts anymore, ie, ie, ie.
Reply Quote
I'd be willing to bet you spent more time posting on the forums and trading / playing AH to get where you are than will be required to get a decently geared toon in RoS.

It's not like camping the AH doesn't take time. When I was playing heavily I had to spend 5 - 10 minutes on AH after each run looking for upgrades that weren't total rip offs. And that netted me 0 amazing snipes, just passable deals on "almost high end" gear. Assuming you did the same to acquire the account full of ridiculous LoH and attack speed sidegrade gear you used to post about, I bet you'll have more fun in RoS.
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 10:53 AMPosted by Snack
the account full of ridiculous LoH and attack speed sidegrade gear you used to post about

lol
Reply Quote
Junger, yes, I agree. Nevertheless, people without kids can in principle be busy. That's all.

Jen, I'm 23. Anecdote: I teach karate to children. I estimate with very high confidence that I learn more from them then they do from me. I don't really think you believe that someone's age impacts what you can and can't learn from them on a fundamental level. I know people in their forties and fifties who can't get their lives together, and I know 21 year olds who are MPs of the Canadian Parliament. The whole "respect your elders" thing has no place in logic.

I don't "hate" yoda's posts. I feel like they contribute negatively to the forum at times. (Other times, I feel they are useful, like the one from yesterday (or 2 days ago) where he aided a new player).
Reply Quote
Age does not equal experience. It equals age

You didn't answer the question; you answered with a cute aphorism. What life experiences does Eciton have to teach me?

Yoda doesn't reserve the right to simply "close off" his posts to the rest of the community. They're here. They get looked at. They get commented on. So do mine. Always have. Always will.

He wasn't closing off a thread. He was taking a poll among parent players. I read /r/AskMen threads on reddit every day for laughs, but I don't respond to posts asking for advice about how to shave around !@#$%^-*s or other such matters. I do respond to some posts in /r/AskWomen.

Complaining about how annoying and QQT_T yodatoy's posts are is like complaining about TV commercials. If you don't like them, skip them.
Reply Quote
i am mzy i am 6.5 years old an your all poopieheads
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]