Diablo® III

Question to oldies or ones with kids...RoS

01/31/2014 12:19 PMPosted by PieHole
PieHole - makes posts like Doly now:

Yup. I was extremely impressed. and your assumption WAS NOT careless.

Posted by silverfire
You in a good mood today Mao? You're going pretty easy on him.

It's a new year for the lunar calendar. New year's resolution maybe?

I'm assuming you were born in the year of horse? =) and I was born in the year of cow? so we should get along assuming both of them are farm animals...
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 11:19 AMPosted by EmperorMao
01/31/2014 11:04 AMPosted by jenpeezey
Complaining about how annoying and QQT_T yodatoy's posts are is like complaining about TV commercials. If you don't like them, skip them.

Almost like complaining about Eciton reading yodatoy threads and his supposed lack of experience due to age right?

Just doing what you do when you QQ about QQers over ROS beta, Mao!

I'm just trying to say that Yoda fills his posts with baseless, reason-less assumptions like..very, very, often. When he makes a comment like the ones I've listed above, and when those comments assume things about people that those people, oh I don't know, might find VERY offensive - yeah, he's gonna get touched up and real quick.

And so he does. And you think he's going to change?

Yoda was asking people like HIM if they're going to play ROS and how they'll manage it, that's all. He wasn't trying to offend people who are not parents/full-time employed/spouse-committed.

You can take it that way (yoda's a jerk), but based on the number of times he's asked this question over the last few months (weekly or every other week), he seems pretty sincere in his worry over a game, how he would keep up with his friends, how he could find loot or not find it and still be part of this community, etc.
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 11:16 AMPosted by Eciton
Reducing all possible learning to time spent alive proves too much. It allows for the absurd conclusion that if one sits in a room for 100 years doing nothing, that person cannot learn from a normal 30 year old.

Yeah but no, because I wasn't reducing learning to time spent alive. I said "life experiences" clearly and plainly. Not sitting in a !@#$%^- room with no windows, no contact with any living thing.
Reply Quote
Is that meant to imply that you believe all your experience to be equivalent and then some to every single person younger then you? Or shall I take it as a personal affront on what I can or can't teach you?

That is exactly what I believe Melkor meant when he said age is not experience.
Edited by Eciton#1637 on 1/31/2014 12:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hey Yoda,

If you are game for boring and unembellished answer to your original post keep reading.

I’m 46 with a wife, young kids and a demanding full time job. I’ve always been a casual gamer, back to and well before D1. I may have 5-6 hour of gaming time per week. I enjoyed D1 and D2/LOD precisely because I could play a little here and a little there. The same will be true for RoS.

D3v with AH was an amazing anomaly. The reward for being able to play at high MP levels was too much to ignore (better drops, more experience, higher mod density, quicker leveling, etc), so I put a few dollars into it and you can see the results on my toons. I’ve had a great time exploiting the AH for gear and a game experience I would never have had access to without the AH. For me, AH was simply a brief period in history of an enhanced gaming/monster killing experience.

But now with RoS it’ll essentially be like back to ‘normal’ for the Diablo series (for me that will be self found gear and low difficulty levels); and that’s fine and I look forward to what it has to offer, what ever that may be.
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 11:20 AMPosted by yodatoy
didn't know this game was all about Doly like posts...

How the hell did this thread get to a comment like that??
I'm not even sure how I should interpret the meaning of that.

Yoda,

Since you seem to be saying that as though I've turned into some sort of analytical robot...

Have you considered that I've been posting more along those lines lately because I think it's more constructive right now than posts about how I just don't think I'm going to like that game in RoS?

As for the grinding vs AH thing of this thread...

I think it's pretty baseless. I don't think you're going to have to grind. At least not the way you seem to think.

Why? Because smart drops almost ensures that we're all going to look exactly the same in gear in fairly short order. It is not hard to get a rare with int+vit+CC+ whatever on any slot; even easier with the mystic. Those items drop constantly. Yes, legendaries for the more unique properties may take some time but it's not like you can't get a solid build going with just rares. At which point, you play because you actually enjoy the gameplay. Legendaries will follow accordingly and open more options as they do.

Uniqueness in your wizard is going to come from A) What new legendaries you do manage to get to drop (and luck) and B) What legacy gear you have/can/do keep in your build (because it will never drop again and is now unique). Uniqueness... not basic build viability.

Plus, it's not like we're even playing against each other. I'm not sure why you are so worried about keeping up with the grinders anyways. As long as you can manage a reasonable difficulty on par with the rest of the group, I'm pretty sure you'll be welcome with all your buddies (and probably even if you can't right away). It's not like you're going to be required to be able to farm Torment 6 within 2 months...

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Play because you enjoy the game. The rest will take care of itself.

-dolynick
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 01:05 PMPosted by mvhrad
Hey Yoda,

If you are game for boring and unembellished answer to your original post keep reading.

I’m 46 with a wife, young kids and a demanding full time job. I’ve always been a casual gamer, back to and well before D1. I may have 5-6 hour of gaming time per week. I enjoyed D1 and D2/LOD precisely because I could play a little here and a little there. The same will be true for RoS.

D3v with AH was an amazing anomaly. The reward for being able to play at high MP levels was too much to ignore (better drops, more experience, higher mod density, quicker leveling, etc), so I put a few dollars into it and you can see the results on my toons. I’ve had a great time exploiting the AH for gear and a game experience I would never have had access to without the AH. For me, AH was simply a brief period in history of an enhanced gaming/monster killing experience.

But now with RoS it’ll essentially be like back to ‘normal’ for the Diablo series (for me that will be self found gear and low difficulty levels); and that’s fine and I look forward to what it has to offer, what ever that may be.

thank you.

01/31/2014 01:16 PMPosted by dolynick

what I was trying to say was that your posts are epitome of meaningful posts. all about the game, RoS, and informative compare to mine which is baseless, nonesense, QQing.

I compared to yours b/c you have contributed so much to the game mechanics itself. so it didn't mean to be derogatory in means.

but come on...isn't it going to be linear? more grinding mean chance of picking up better items in RoS?

worry...I'm not really worried. Why would be worried about RoS? It's not like I'm going to become fidgety for not having to play RoS.

I think in the end, AH messed up how we should have played D3 from the beginning - pure grind/farm/find/equip. Instead, people like me who depeded too much on AH for gearing that we lost the purpose of what D3 is all aobut
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 12:19 PMPosted by PieHole
PieHole - makes posts like Doly now:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11551515041?page=3#55

Imposter!

01/31/2014 01:16 PMPosted by dolynick

I'm sure he meant it as purely a compliment. Your posts have shown so much dedication that I almost felt bad not replying in some way to them...and when I finally did, it was to point a mistake ^_^

And to everyone else regarding yoda's posting style, this is my take on it. In the real world, we all have to watch what we say and when we say it. The forum gives you anonymity, and the only people that'll judge you for them are likely ones you'll never meet, so if they don't like what you write, whatever. yoda's posts are just his "brain dump". Whatever's on his mind regarding D3 makes its way to the forum. It's like thinking out loud except in text. And most thoughts don't always make perfect sense, they just are what they are. Usually you keep your mouth shut. I'm sure yoda does in reality, but on the forums, it just all comes out. Whether it's him realizing that lifesteal heals a lot better than life on hit can, or his...opinions...on certain Australian members. Not saying its necessarily okay, but he can post whatever he wants as long as blizzard allows it.
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 01:32 PMPosted by silverfire
I'm sure he meant it as purely a compliment. Your posts have shown so much dedication that I almost felt bad not replying in some way to them...and when I finally did, it was to point a mistake ^_^

thank you silverfire for describing what I meant...
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 01:27 PMPosted by yodatoy
but come on...isn't it going to be linear? more grinding mean chance of picking up better items in RoS?

Yes and no.

No because I'm pretty sure we're all going to find the basic stats we want on rares with relative ease.

Yes only in terms of unique legendary effects. Those are going to be nice and allow for different things beyond the standard skill builds. IE, specialty builds.

Put simply, I think there is going to be two plateaus:

First Plateau: Basic stats to make any general build work. Good for farming Torment 1-3. You'll hit this pretty quickly.

Second Plateau: Builds that revolve around specific legendary effects. These might be required for the highest Torment difficulties. The alternate theory on this is being extremely high PLevel before Torment 6 becomes farmable. In either case, this will take more time. Possibly a lot. This is where the grinders have the advantage.

You have nearly as many hours logged in D3V as I do. If you have the same amount of disposable "playtime" as you have up til now, I don't think you really need to be overly concerned about being "left behind". No more than I do at least.

-dolynick
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 01:27 PMPosted by yodatoy
your posts are epitome of meaningful posts

01/30/2014 09:03 AMPosted by dolynick
Now I want french fries for lunch.

Still overgeneralizing!

BTW Wired must have reported my hilarious (if I do say so myself) potato recap of the Moba thread derail because it's gone! Now that is worthy of some serious QQ.
Reply Quote
I personally think I will enjoy both versions of this game. I dont have time to do massive amounts of grinding. I have a job, school, gf, and a bunch of other games I like to play. For this D3V I have the AH. It was great being able to get the items I need for a build and to play in a MP higher then I would have gotten to self found. It made grinding fun because I could instantly gear up and blast things to bits. Now I will be able to farm for my items. Which I also like a lot having played all the other diablos. I think this nails it!

01/31/2014 11:20 AMPosted by yodatoy
didn't know this game was all about Doly like posts...

As for the grinding vs AH thing of this thread...

I think it's pretty baseless. I don't think you're going to have to grind. At least not the way you seem to think.

Why? Because smart drops almost ensures that we're all going to look exactly the same in gear in fairly short order. It is not hard to get a rare with int+vit+CC+ whatever on any slot; even easier with the mystic. Those items drop constantly. Yes, legendaries for the more unique properties may take some time but it's not like you can't get a solid build going with just rares. At which point, you play because you actually enjoy the gameplay. Legendaries will follow accordingly and open more options as they do.

Uniqueness in your wizard is going to come from A) What new legendaries you do manage to get to drop (and luck) and B) What legacy gear you have/can/do keep in your build (because it will never drop again and is now unique). Uniqueness... not basic build viability.

Plus, it's not like we're even playing against each other. I'm not sure why you are so worried about keeping up with the grinders anyways. As long as you can manage a reasonable difficulty on par with the rest of the group, I'm pretty sure you'll be welcome with all your buddies (and probably even if you can't right away). It's not like you're going to be required to be able to farm Torment 6 within 2 months...

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Play because you enjoy the game. The rest will take care of itself.

-dolynick

This page in this post is also what makes me happy about the wiz forums. Everybody seems to get all bent out of shape for a little bit then it calms down and everyone becomes friends again. :)
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 01:36 PMPosted by yodatoy
01/31/2014 01:32 PMPosted by silverfire

thank you silverfire for describing what I meant...

Fair enough. I'll just take it as a compliment then and thank the both of you.

You have a long history of promoting discussion and a sense of community in this forum Yoda. I've always admired your ability to spark discussion and keep us actively talking. Lately though, your posts seem to have been focusing a lot more on the negative than anything else. I understand your concerns but I haven't been responding much because I don't think you can draw a conclusion on reward vs playtime just from the anecdotal information being posted (on something that is in constant change too) without having tried it yourself. I asked you in another thread if you had even tried PTR. You said yes. I meant to follow it up with "Did you enjoy your play time?" I think your answer to that would have more weight than your grinding concerns right now.

I don't have any issue with you polling the "with children" players, in and of itself. They're as valid a demographic as any and it's one that you are part of.

-dolynick
Reply Quote
one part of this equation yoda is forgettingis between rerolling gear getting mats to reroll and learning new builds with the legs u find everyone will b progress at slower more casual pace not just grab ah gear and go my personal opinion is he will have friends who will progress with him because the is set up more gradually than he understands right now
Reply Quote

I don't QQ. I tell people to shut up because they lack brain cells. I don't complain about their stupidity. I just make that fact known with a statement.

For someone with a wealth of life experiences because of her age it's odd you can't tell the difference.
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 09:58 PMPosted by EmperorMao

I don't QQ. I tell people to shut up because they lack brain cells. I don't complain about their stupidity. I just make that fact known with a statement.

For someone with a wealth of life experiences because of her age it's odd you can't tell the difference.

It's odd you're still trolling Internet forums for attention at 30 years old.
Reply Quote
02/01/2014 12:19 AMPosted by jenpeezey
01/31/2014 09:58 PMPosted by EmperorMao

It's odd you're still trolling Internet forums for attention at 30 years old.

Attention? If I wanted attention I'd be dolynick and do maths.

It's odd you're still hung up on what others do and feel the need to defend so many people. Just call people stupid like me and be done with it.
Reply Quote
Why dont you have your kids play?
Reply Quote
Yoda, after reading every post you have ever written, You sound extremely depressed, unhappy with life and desperately crying out for attention. Talk to someone that isn't on a gaming forum.

D3 won't fill the void in your life. Leave already.
Reply Quote
I will be 41 in 17 days just bought Diablo 3 on pc. And i'm really excited for ROS and i pre orderd it.
I plan on playing around 10 to 15 hours a week because i have a wife and 2 kids.I played the xbox 360 version and had a Paragon level 30 wiz and did 600k dps. To me the pc version graphically is way better and i like the way i can place my spells. So i'm excited for ROS!!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]