Diablo® III

Improve the players PTR build above you [PTR]

After replying to Melkor's thread just now, I thought, "Hang on... maybe we can get more brainstorming going by looking at other people's builds and improving them rather than coming up with our own.." .. seems like a good idea at the moment..

Anyway, here's my build (which I've posted a couple of times, but I'll give a bit of an explanation on how everything fits together):

LMB: Electrocute (AP regen rune)
RMB: Teleport (Calamity)
1: Mirror Images (Mocking Demise)
2: Meteor (Lightning Bind)
3: Magic Weapon (Deflection)
4: Familiar (Sparkflint)

Illusionist
Blur
Paralysis?

The core of this build is Illusionist with Teleport and Mocking Demise to make a stun based build. I'm currently using pretty much all of my D3V gear (CM/WW 2.73) with only my gloves switched out (more EHP). The idea is to teleport in and stun with Calamity then immediately cast Mocking Demise then Lightning Bind. The stun from Calamity is usually enough to keep the enemies there to get hit by Lightning Bind to root them in place.

I hold my LMB for Electrocute to build AP pool back up periodically hitting the 2 button for more Lightning Bind. If it's more than a few enemies around to (where I regen more AP), I would hit Lightning Bind two or three times. If you spam the two, you will start throwing wand attacks with no Electrocute which means less AP regen. Don't.

If there are any elite affixes that are hurting you, Illusionist procs and you can either teleport for restun or recast Mocking Demise for stun (Mirror AI is a little annoying since they usually run away... the more you are getting hurt the more effective MD will be, otherwise, Calamity is better for stun). Surprisingly, MD's explosion on mirror death is actually very good.

The problem with this is you are taking damage the entire time. This is why Deflection with decent attack speed is necessary for this build. It's not much, but it has saved me enough to see it's reliability. Here's the tricky part of this build... you need to have enough EHP to survive but too much EHP means Illusionist won't proc so you won't actually be able to utilise the strongest part of this build.

So... with this all of this in mind, everything works pretty well together. The only other thing I haven't really explained is Blur... it's just more EHP so I can play on Torment 2 effectively. I die a lot more in T3. Dominance will be useless in this build because you need to take damage and the only time you should be taking any substantial damage to proc Illusionist is against elites... where Dominance loses it's effectiveness. Since I have under 200k DPS unbuffed (I don't actually remember how much DPS I have :p), T2 already takes a bit of time... even if I could survive T3, it feels a whole lot less efficient and pointless.

What I'm left with now is an active slot and passive slot that I'm not really certain about. Canoneer is the only thing that's helping with my lack of DPS (already using Magic Weapon). Paralysis since I'm using both Electrocute and Lightning Bind, though it doesn't seem like it's actually helping too much. The stun from Calamity and MD with Lightning Bind's rooting seems to be pretty sufficient so Paralysis seems a little redundant.

One key stat I think this build needs is a whole lot more life regen. Deflection is good but with more healing, it'll really strengthen the effectiveness of this build... by not dying.

I haven't looked at the latest patch notes so I could be missing something... but yeah... any suggestions for that active and passive slot?
Reply Quote
PTR is forcing me to try to develop some synergy and more theory crafting builds...a challenge, but one I am slowly getting a feel for.

So, I have taken a non-paragon point wizard from lvl 1 and just hit 60..no gems, started from the beginning just to get a feel for what it might be like from someone just starting out...

Along the way I have found several legendary items that have helped in leveling...

Currently running:

LMB: Shock Pulse (Explosive Bolts)
1: Diamond Skin (Prisim)
2: Blizzard (Frozen Solid)
3: Ice Armor (Crystalize)
4: Arcane Orb (Frozen Orb)

Passives: Prodigy, Cold Blooded, Evocation

Playing on Normal at this point...I did try Hard and Expert...just takes too long to take down elites at this point until I can get more items..

I played the console version and farming Normal allowed me to slowly get gear to go up in levels.

I haven't really played PTR using my Live gear at this point...this was just an experiment to see how far I could get and to what difficulty I could eventually get to...
Reply Quote
Romad
How much crowd control do you get with Frozen Solid with Calamity? 100% Stun with 40% freeze sound pretty good. You throw Frozen Orbs into a stun/frozen crowd after casting DS for the AP reduction while it's active? At -9 AP, your FOs are 21 AP each... at 100 AP, you should be able to fire 5 (AP regen without APoC gear should be enough to regen that 5 AP for the fifth one by the time you get up to it).

Pity the damage on FO is a bit weak at the moment. Explosive Bolts with Cold Blooded will either improve Blizzard/FO or the chill/frozen from Blizzard/FO will increase Explosive Bolts damage all whilst giving back AP from Prodigy.

Everything seems to be working pretty well together. Are you casting DS as soon often as you can? Also, with your build, do you get hit much at all? If you do, I'm wondering if Illusionist might be able to take it's Evocation's spot for more mobility and stun. Though using Crystalize will be buffing your armor quite a bit so not sure how often Illusionist would proc.

Pretty solid build. Everything synergises well.
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 10:33 AMPosted by MrDuMa
How much crowd control do you get with Frozen Solid with Calamity? 100% Stun with 40% freeze sound pretty good. You throw Frozen Orbs into a stun/frozen crowd after casting DS for the AP reduction while it's active? At -9 AP, your FOs are 21 AP each... at 100 AP, you should be able to fire 5 (AP regen without APoC gear should be enough to regen that 5 AP for the fifth one by the time you get up to it).

I'm doing pretty good...pretty much face rolling normal to farm for better gear (already found a 1100 dps weapon with OS)...only time I really use calamity is when i get vortex'd into an elite pack....frozen solid is a big boost...may have to go up to hard soon (but the only benefit is practicing at a higher lvl since there are no boosts to exp/mf)...will try when I get home and have a better connection.
Reply Quote
MrDuma,

My first PTR build was pretty similar to yours but instead of Mimics I would use a Slow time.

But I think mimics might be a nice "passive" DPS slot.

Since then I've been playing a bunch of different stuff.

Generally I've stuck with the following though.

Illusionist / Deflection / sparkflint

Yesterday I was using scotch orb, and ONLY scotch orb as my only attack.

with 20APOC I could spam scorch orb non stop @ 2.5aps. Might have something to do with 20 APOC and using conflageration.

Heres my current build: T3 Master lvl 60

Scotch
Safe passage

Cannoneer
Deflection
Thunder storm
Slow time

Illusionist / Conflag / Blur

Templar follower.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
01/31/2014 11:34 AMPosted by Boozor
Scotch

Does that spell increase the flammability of enemies, allowing them to take additional fire damage per second? Does it also reduce your movement speed by 20% and have a chance to blind you for a few seconds?
Twitter: @Jaetch
Reply Quote
bwahahaha Scotch Orb.. our only poison skill.

Boozor
Yeah, I like Mocking Demise. Provides a bit of tanking for you and when they run around, they still stun when they die so it's not too bad. I just think the synergy with Illusionist is too good to ignore. Downside though... random positioning of it. Always going to be the worst thing about Mirrors.

I've tried Vortex with IAS bubble for faster casts with Deflection, Time Warp for more DPS, stun bubble for the stun.. unfortunately, I didn't see much of a boost in my performance. The faster casts didn't really help that much since it was only +10 IAS, TW wasn't too bad... I would consider using this and the stun bubble was sorta pointless since I'm using Lightning Bind to root enemies. Could probably change to another AP spender for more damage I suppose.

I'm on 26 APoC and at 2.73, I can spam Scotch infinitely on two targets. One target it slowly drains... I mean very very slowly. I can cast maybe 20~25... maybe even 30 Scotch bombs before my AP runs dry. I think it has something to do with the DoT and APoC. I can spam it like a signature spell.

Which Slow Time rune do you use? Also, how often does Thunder Storm "periodically" shock enemies? It says 194% weapon damage shocks, but I'm wondering if Shocking Aspect might actually be better with Scotch's DoTs. Does anyone know if the DoTs proc SA? If yes, that might be a better even if it's only at 50% weapon damage shocks.
Reply Quote
MrDuMa: For your build in the OP, unless I'm mistaken Deflection currently does not work right with the Electrocute runes. They may in the future, but you'll find a different rune to be a better choice, perhaps Force Weapon or Electrify (Depending on density of area you're farming) would give you a survivability edge via that whole "a good offense is a good defense" train of though.

As for Paralysis, that is its own happy problem of a sort. I haven't tried your build yet, but I've found similar lightning builds that paralysis has a side effect of not letting monsters hit you, which CAN be somewhat difficult for proccing Illusionist. Now, this is something that is difficult to nail down to a hard and fast rule as to when the two passives begin to clash, as it depends on mit, difficulty, and what exactly you have that can proc para. Your build as it stands might be able to do just fine, simply because you only have electrocute and meteor going on.

Should you decide to swap out Paralysis simply to tinker with the build, Arcane Dynamo is very useful, since it synergizes with Teleport - Calamity, and Illusionist.

My Current build

LMB: Electrocute - Forked Lightning
RMB: Meteor - Lightning Bind
Skill 1: Lightning Hydra
Skill 2: Familiar - Cannoneer
Skill 3: Magic Weapon - Electrify
Skill 4: Storm Armor - Shocking Aspect

Passives:
Arcane Dynamo
Prodigy
Paralysis
Edited by Atanatar#1983 on 2/1/2014 10:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/01/2014 10:29 AMPosted by Atanatar
MrDuMa: For your build in the OP, unless I'm mistaken Deflection currently does not work right with the Electrocute runes. They may in the future, but you'll find a different rune to be a better choice, perhaps Force Weapon or Electrify (Depending on density of area you're farming) would give you a survivability edge via that whole "a good offense is a good defense" train of though.

Hmm... I thought Deflection worked better with channeling spells?

They may in the future, but you'll find a different rune to be a better choice, perhaps Force Weapon or Electrify (Depending on density of area you're farming) would give you a survivability edge via that whole "a good offense is a good defense" train of though.

This only holds true if you plan to only kill trash mobs and run from elite packs. I only have a little over 1k LoH with no LS. Force Weapon/Electrify aren't helping with sustain, especially against elites since that offense isn't enough for me not to kite. Kiting means the need for sustain.

As for Paralysis, that is its own happy problem of a sort. I haven't tried your build yet, but I've found similar lightning builds that paralysis has a side effect of not letting monsters hit you, which CAN be somewhat difficult for proccing Illusionist. Now, this is something that is difficult to nail down to a hard and fast rule as to when the two passives begin to clash, as it depends on mit, difficulty, and what exactly you have that can proc para. Your build as it stands might be able to do just fine, simply because you only have electrocute and meteor going on.

I can see where you're going with this, but Paralysis doesn't proc enough for elites to be permastunned so they'll still be running around a lot. I don't really see Paralysis as a "stunning" tool... more of an interrupting tool so they can't attack as often.

Should you decide to swap out Paralysis simply to tinker with the build, Arcane Dynamo is very useful, since it synergizes with Teleport - Calamity, and Illusionist.

Hmm.. gave this a go and yeah, it doesn't really work well with Lightning Bind since the damage is a little low. May's well use another Meteor rune for more damage. AD works pretty well with Electrocute though.. but if that's the case, I may's well drop LB for another buffing skill.

Hmm... looking at your build, are you using your AD on LB or Forked? Also, I was wondering, does the MW: Electrify proc SA? I imagine with LB crits with Electrify, there'd be a fair few DoTs concentrated.. does SA go nuts and start shocking a lot?
Reply Quote
AD does not work on Signatures, so can't use it on Forked. Also, Deflection does not work with Electrocute like it does Ray of Frost, Disintegrate, or Arcane Torrent. It currently only gives you a stack when you first activate the skill.

And yeah, I can see why Electrify would be unappealing to you. I have just a little under 1.9k LoH, so I'm a bit more comfortable with trying to maximize my DPS.

As for not proccing enough on Elites, Forked Lightning and Lightning bind are excellent for that, and even better if you work Arcane Orb - Spark in. With Spark, you're looking at Forked Lightning (and it's 2 attack speed coefficient) doing an excellent job at shooting out lots of little lightning bolts, lightning bind slamming down and rooting, and spark hitting once in the air, and once when it lands. Electrify does not proc SA I don't think, since it does not proc Para (or didn't last I had saw, could be missing it). The three skills, essentially, can act your three tools in your mob clearing tool box. You have Forked Lightning as your swiss army knife, capable of clearing trash mobs, and pushing out respectable damage when you consider it works well with Cannoneer. For elite packs, Generally you rely on Lightning Bind/Forked Lightning as your main damage dealers, with some Spark spam thrown in if you just desperately need a Paralysis proc. Spark it self is fairly good for trash clearing, and does decent damage if powered with AD.
Edited by Atanatar#1983 on 2/2/2014 6:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 09:56 AMPosted by Romad
2: Blizzard (Frozen Solid)
3: Ice Armor (Crystalize)
4: Arcane Orb (Frozen Orb)

Passives: Prodigy, Cold Blooded, Evocation

Update: Transferred my Live Wizard to try this spec....so things have changed. I have 20 APOC by placing a SC versus my Mempo and added an Trium w/APOC...

I was doing real well on Torment 1 so I up the lvl to 2...was doing okay until I got to Belial...had him down to about a tenth of a bar left and he hit the massive poison pool attack on me...DS only last so long..dropped down to Torment 1 and had no issues...Torment 2 is a good spot on normal elites...bosses may be a different thing although I was able to defeat Kulle and his 2 hulks on T2.

New build:
RMB: Archon (Improved)
2: Meteor (Comet)
3: Blizzard (Frozen Solid)
4: Energy Armor (Prismatic)

Passives: Blur, Cold Blooded, Evocation

I'm using my Archon set from Live...just found a legendary glove to replace my crafted gloves. Also, as mentioned above using APOC SC/Triumvirate...

Archon is my pop on versus elites since these are the ones who really put up a good punch.
Edited by Romad#1308 on 2/2/2014 1:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/02/2014 05:59 AMPosted by Atanatar
AD does not work on Signatures, so can't use it on Forked. Also, Deflection does not work with Electrocute like it does Ray of Frost, Disintegrate, or Arcane Torrent. It currently only gives you a stack when you first activate the skill.

Oh right... forgot that AD is for AP spenders. Man, I should probably look into the current skill bugs. I'm surviving alright in T2 with only that one Deflection stack, but if you saw the way I played, you'd think it's the riskiest and reckless thing ever.

And yeah, I can see why Electrify would be unappealing to you. I have just a little under 1.9k LoH, so I'm a bit more comfortable with trying to maximize my DPS.

From reading Melkor's stats, I think even 2k LoH won't be enough once we all hit level 70. Hopefully Deflection for Electrocute will be fixed by then.

As for not proccing enough on Elites, Forked Lightning and Lightning bind are excellent for that, and even better if you work Arcane Orb - Spark in. With Spark, you're looking at Forked Lightning (and it's 2 attack speed coefficient) doing an excellent job at shooting out lots of little lightning bolts, lightning bind slamming down and rooting, and spark hitting once in the air, and once when it lands. Electrify does not proc SA I don't think, since it does not proc Para (or didn't last I had saw, could be missing it). The three skills, essentially, can act your three tools in your mob clearing tool box. You have Forked Lightning as your swiss army knife, capable of clearing trash mobs, and pushing out respectable damage when you consider it works well with Cannoneer. For elite packs, Generally you rely on Lightning Bind/Forked Lightning as your main damage dealers, with some Spark spam thrown in if you just desperately need a Paralysis proc. Spark it self is fairly good for trash clearing, and does decent damage if powered with AD.

Hmm... I guess with Forked Lightning and Spark, you're hitting more targets more often with lightning skills so Paralysis will be working harder there.

Actually, I'm glad Electrify doesn't proc Paralysis... seems a little overkill lol

When testing out Spark, I found it a little underwhelming.. maybe it was because of the slight delay how it's throw up rather than straight out like the other Arcane Orb runes. When you say it hits once in the air and once on the ground, do you mean it hits targets in the air when it passes over them? The delay feels like I'm using two different types of Meteor.

Romad
If you're having troubles against ZK and his goons, try Lightning Bind to root them in place. You'll lose a bit of DPS since Comet hits harder than LB, but it'll root them in place and LB will still get the benefits of Cold Blooded since Blizzard should be showering down over them anyway. The slowing and rooting might actually free up Frozen Solid for another Blizzard rune.
Reply Quote
Update: So, as with anything, change normally is a good thing. Played a little T3 PTR with Boozer the other night...was really not doing too bad....however, I am always open to suggestions to try and maximize the killing.

While running with 2x big arcane spenders, I was doing ok...boozer suggested I find another skill to either replace Meteor or Blizzard....thought process is I have 1 generator (SP, Explosive Bolts) and 1 spender (choice between Meteor or Blizzard). I really like the impact Comet has so I stayed with this one.

Now what to add....since there isnt a cold rune for MW...I decided to try Familiar (Icicle)...pretty happy with the choice...the familiar almost felt like I had frost nova without the cooldown...fought Diablo on T1 and he was frozen about 80-90% of the time...not sure if the familiar's cast is tied to my IAS but if I was a guessing man...I think it is.

Updated Build:
RMB: Archon (Improved)
2: Meteor (Comet)
3: Familiar (Icicle)......Updated skill slot.
4: Energy Armor (Prismatic)

Passives: Blur, Cold Blooded, Evocation

This is a pretty good build for crowd control...plus the Archon against elites is hard to beat. Brings them down pretty fast on T1/2
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]