Diablo® III

First experience with PTR

Finally ventured into PTR past couple days, limited time on it anyways, but managed to play around with some of the skills.

Had some general thoughts on my first impression:

1) Do we have any skills that are can be cast without attack turns?

2) Magic Weapon - Deflection looks mandatory, or am I missing something?

3) Storm armor took a hit in PTR, but looks still can be usable. Thoughts? Or we siding on survivability ie. ice armor

4) The following feels underwhelming:

Hydras
Arcane dynamo
All energy armors
Density - expected
Drops - expected
No down arrow on paragon point allocation interface
Overall DPS

5) Currently loving:

Illusionist - can see this being very useful especially for higher difficulty/ efficiency (speed)
Cannoneer - nice "passive" dps
Fresh graphics
Defensive skills / passives
Templar changes

________

Currently using a slow build with temporal flux, T3/T4. I can survive T6 constantly microing, but basically do no DPS against mobs just kiting around forever.

Level 60 of course with some random gear I got in my stash.

240k DPS unbuffed
650k toughness unbuffed
4900 healing

_______

Arc lightning

Cannoneer
Deflection
Ice armor - crystalize or storm armor
Slow time - Stretch Time

Teleport - calamity

Illusionist / Blur / temporal flux
_________

I still got pretty high APS @ 2.5 unbuffed so I basically just spam arc lighting.

Arc lightning/ sparkflint doing the DPS + slow enemies.
Tough spots use teleport calamity or can use offensively.
Can't wait to try black hole + audacity/ unwavering will @ 70.

Starting to get that happy feeling again ^_^

Anyways this is my noob analysis !
Reply Quote
Arcane Orbit doesn't take an attack turn. Neither does EB. but you knew that.

I don't use Deflection...never really have. I handle t3 and im breaking into t4 in beta..

I agree with everything you said but I think you should be able to see your ammy. Just sayin'.

Also, your comment about the down arrow is enlightening and is enough for me to cancel my ROS pre-order.

Your stats suck btw. Gross. I'm at 1,600,000 DPS and 6,500,000 toughness and I have Black Hole and you don't have anything.

Happy new moon year or whatever the heck yoda said.
Reply Quote
nice booz :) straight and to the point. this post gives me some serious hope!

also i just won an auction on a ggggg warrior blood for cheap.. i have no idea what class im going to play come launch yet lol. got shenlongs, warrior blood, some wiz gear, some wd gear, etc
Reply Quote
Very basic analysis for my 1 hour of play time lol.

If you could see the gear I am using it is funny...I have 20 apoc but no apoc spender

I'm using a non crit STR mempo

I'm using a 3.5cc zuni pox. That's it.

I'm using my barbs rare ring.

TR chest with 190int 30vit and magic find.

________

But I can't help being a bit excited at the "new" game.

I'm also loving the fact that I have 300 paragon points to play around with ^_^
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
I think that there's going to be alot to like in the end. So much of what you do is going to be dictated by the special affixes that your rares or legendarys roll (or reroll). Builds will be all over the place...and that's pretty cool.

I guess, some months down the road, we'll all mathematically settle on the most efficient build with the best affixes on gear. I guess that's inevitable. But, some of that is going to depend on special affixes on legendarys....and you cant AH those anymore. You gotta find them. And you're gonna have find rares (and legs) that have good rolls....that you reroll into what you want. Or roll multiple sets of gear specifically for meteor or arcane torrent or WW or whatever. Or lightning or fire or ice or arcane. And that's cool too.

I think alot of the drop rate stuff, and balancing monster density, and balancing rewards will be micro'ed in patches as the game progresses. That's the biggest regret I have right now for the game....alot of things are in a pretty good now. It seems like they took a step back with some things...and will have to work it out again.
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 1/30/2014 12:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/30/2014 12:09 PMPosted by PieHole
I think alot of the drop rate stuff, and balancing monster density, and balancing rewards will be micro'ed in patches as the game progresses. That's the biggest regret I have right now for the game....alot of things are in a pretty good now. It seems like they took a step back with some things...and will have to work it out again.

that seems like a lot of work...I feel overwhelmed just thinking about grinding to find items.

I really wonder...in the end, mostly those without family and kids will be playing RoS imo. just saying...

I feel like a lot of oldies either played casually at low to mid MP with self found or went little hardcore by depending on AH. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply Quote
01/30/2014 12:21 PMPosted by yodatoy
that seems like a lot of work...I feel overwhelmed just thinking about grinding to find items.

Then don't play a loot grinding game.
Reply Quote
View profile
I feel like a lot of oldies either played casually at low to mid MP with self found or went little hardcore by depending on AH. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, no. You and I and FLO and Para and others with kids played at high levels (i.e. MP10). But...the AH was huge for us. We most certainly will be....well....behind. There is no way for us to get ahead...the only way to get ahead is by....actually playing the game. Which, admittedly, is the way that it should be. It just leaves us....behind in a sense.

The dividing line in the future will resemble the paragon levels.....though who are at P500 and more will be better off in ROS in the sense that they play more. More playing = more drops. More drops = more chances to get better gear and get ahead.

I still think that there's alot of fun to be had in ROS. I mean, you know me, I don't play much...not more than 1-2 hrs a night, and I still pick up tons of rares looking for good gear to reroll for different gearsets....depending on what active/passive combination that I'm playing around with.

Work? sure...but so was AH.
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 1/30/2014 12:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
01/30/2014 12:28 PMPosted by Melkor

Then don't play a loot grinding game.

Too easy of a comment to pass up on Melk, no?!?!

The hilarity of Yoda's statement,....much less your reply, is...well, pretty much beyond hilarity. And true, really.
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 1/30/2014 12:30 PM PST
Reply Quote

I really wonder...in the end, mostly those without family and kids will be playing RoS imo. just saying...

Well to be honest, Piehole is a role model for "older" players with lots of RL obligations.

His a forum presence, AH guru, built his own GG wiz with some know how on the AH, all the while playing less then a TON of people. Rarely plays but super successful.

Good things come with work, yoda, its a game but definitely should "reward" those that put in "work"
^ this alone should give the game a bit more longevity.

I think the best way to think of the expansion is to completely forget about this current game completely.
Reply Quote
01/30/2014 11:48 AMPosted by Boozor

FN,DS,EB,Aorbit,Familiar,MW,Armors

Not mandatory IMO. Deflection scales with attackspeed. It's more useful vs. harder content and while using channeling skills (that seem to proc it alot and that like to tank bit). It's less needed when someone is reducing incoming dmg with lots of CC or when you are killing at a good pace and can rely more on globes or when you have plenty of your own sustain. With no cooldown refresh, and nerfed duration, DS is out of the picture unless you are a CDR build.

3) Storm armor took a hit in PTR, but looks still can be usable. Thoughts? Or we siding on survivability ie. ice armor

I still like SA:SA since I'm loaded with CC (75%, thanks paragon) and often still run DF. It doesn't produce a difference I can really feel like on live, so not sure how good a choice it is.

Hydras
Arcane dynamo

Hydras have had some feedback threads, one of which was mine. They feel very underwhelming to me and just don't do enough to merit inclusion on my skill bar. They're getting close though. It may be just a matter of switching from a CC/CD build to a skill bonus/element bonus/avg dmg build.

Arcane Dynamo was nerfed from 75% to 60% in last PTR patch. I feel it was merited. Channeling builds are sooo strong on PTR. 75% Arcane Dynamo snapshot made Arcane Torrent Disruption do something like 441*1.15*1.75 =888 just by itself. Add canoneer, magic weapon...

Arcane Dynamo still feels very powerful for channeling builds. In spammy builds I also feel it's underwhelming and a poor choice.

Can't wait to try black hole + audacity/ unwavering will @ 70.

You and every wizard!
Edited by Vox#1186 on 1/30/2014 12:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/30/2014 12:36 PMPosted by Boozor
Well to be honest, Piehole is a role model for "older" players with lots of RL obligations

Gccanum is also a good role model imo.
Piehole is a good role model for sure.
Flo definitely.
hmm...may be Darshu too although I am not sure how he will fare in RoS.
Addicted, Junger...although addicted no longer plays wiz and Junger...he's been busy with house project right?

Didn't know D3 was grinding game...

I hope that with all the grinding and all the work, RoS really rewards those players. I really do. Pichae, Melkor, Boozor, Kiza, Mnk, all you guys...
Reply Quote
01/30/2014 12:52 PMPosted by yodatoy
I hope that with all the grinding and all the work, RoS really rewards those players. I really do. Pichae, Melkor, Boozor, Kiza, Mnk, all you guys...

I also hope it rewards you too, Yoda. Even if you can't grind for 8+ hours on a weekend night sipping Monster...I hope whatever you CAN do brings you rewards.
Reply Quote

All of the ones from D3V, plus with Arcane Orbit and Frost Nova.

As far as I know it's still bugged. If you lose one "stack" (they don't show up as stacks, but they're there), you lose them all. When it works properly, yes, it'll be a very nice skill.

With lower proc rates, Shocking Aspect is indeed just not what it used to be. In a non-cold build, Frozen Storm has become very useful, because it lasts for the full duration, not just 3 seconds. I still like my Energy Armors too, when combined with Glass Cannon.

Hydras

Hydra is not as bad as it was before, because it procs all kinds of effects. I've used the lightning one with Paralysis and that worked pretty well. Unfortunately, the fixed 50% CD Hydra projectiles get is still there, and still seriously hurts.

Illusionist - can see this being very useful especially for higher difficulty/ efficiency (speed)

Illusionist might actually be our best passive now that CM is gone. The change from '15% damage in one hit' to '15% damage over 1 second' is huge. Play with the various Slow Time runes for a bit if you really want to see this work to full effect.
Reply Quote
01/30/2014 01:02 PMPosted by mzy
Illusionist might actually be our best passive now that CM is gone. The change from '15% damage in one hit' to '15% damage over 1 second' is huge. Play with the various Slow Time runes for a bit if you really want to see this work to full effect.

So is the post-teleport movespeed buff. I fricking LOVE this passive (and teleport). It may never come off my bar.

I think mobility nerf was one of the primary concerns about CM going away. This appears to be the answer, and it's perfect. ^_^
Reply Quote

Prismatic armor is looking better and better for high torment. It just scales so well.

I guess, some months down the road, we'll all mathematically settle on the most efficient build with the best affixes on gear.

This could to take a long time to happen. With limited drop rates and repeat drops it could take forever if not at all for some items to drops. I am not going to be impressed when its one specific item I'm after. I feel I'm being forced to play in groups for loot efficiency, which I've never been a fan of. Not anti social just other commitments where I need to leave the computer immediately sometimes - kids.

Basically I can see 4 build types after Torment 4. All based on the 4 element types and legendary proc effects.

01/30/2014 01:47 PMPosted by Vox
I fricking LOVE this passive (and teleport). It may never come off my bar.

Teleport - Safe passage + Illusionist buff is just insanely good for mitigation.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the feedback folks.

Quick question,

How often can we import our characters ?

I need to import some new gear lol
Reply Quote
Haven't you learned anything booz?

Crusader is gonna be the new OP/IMBA, don't even waste your time.
Reply Quote
^ it's true

But will give wizard the first look !

And can't play crusader now on ptr :(
Reply Quote
01/30/2014 02:18 PMPosted by Boozor
How often can we import our characters ?

72hrs - but only imports your account from when Blizzard last took a snapshot/backup. Seems to vary a lot.

01/30/2014 02:21 PMPosted by silverfire
Crusader is gonna be the new OP/IMBA, don't even waste your time.

A lot of unhappy players with the crusader atm.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]