Diablo® III

ROS DPS question...and idea for staff...Doly?

MVP - Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
Hey ROS people...can you look up the damage ranges for 1H and 2H weapons for me? I'm gonna take one more shot at a "Improve the staff" post on the ROS Beta forums. I need to know:

1H Wand:
  • min/max DPS range.
  • this rolls DPS plus 3 other affixes, right?
  • INT range
  • 2H Staff:
  • min/max DPS range.
  • this rolls DPS plus 3 other affixes, right?
  • INT range
  • Source:
  • min/max DPS range.
  • this rolls DPS (which you cannot reroll) plus 4 other affixes, right?
  • INT range
  • (basically, I'd rather work on this at.....work. Rather than sacrifice game play time (catching up to FLO or running Beta, lol)

Thx.

IDEA FOR STAFF, BELOW.
    Edited by PieHole#1628 on 1/30/2014 12:02 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    01/30/2014 08:01 AMPosted by PieHole
    (catching up to FLO or running Beta, lol)

lol

I was going to post in that thar Ray o' Frost post that derailed to this 2H Staff subject.
    I'm just talking wiz staff, not all 2H here...obviously.

01/29/2014 09:23 AMPosted by dolynick
    The problem is that this only covers a few stat types and doesn't make up for everything. Maybe increasing the affixes to 7 or 8 (5+2, 5+3 or 6+2 primary/secondary slots in RoS) might help, and include APoC and/or CC in the possibles list.

01/29/2014 12:45 PMPosted by Kalithro
    Make it so you can socket a 2H staff with a Wizard Source. Only the primary stats count. Damage ranges do not increase based on the source socketed.

Like a lot!

Wiz Staff should most definitely have 2 sockets IMO... Mos Def.
    After reading some stuffers on http://diablo.incgamers.com/ re: 2H having %block in D2 (yeah I forgotz) why not have Wiz Staves roll with reduced dmg from melee and range annnd make it so were useful in a party by having anyone standing within a certain radius of our awesome staff, receive said benefits as well? Reduced dmg from elites%too???
    Edited by FL0Maxx#1702 on 1/30/2014 8:44 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    Two-handed weapons definitely did not have increased chance of blocking in Diablo 2. The only items that had that affix were non-white shields, Twitchthroe, Guardian Angel, Swordguard, Homunculus, Eld, Isenhart's Case set and Trang-Oul's Wing.

Of those, only Swordguard is a weapon (two-hander!), but no one in the history of Diablo 2 has ever used it. :P
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    Wiz Staff should most definitely have 2 sockets IMO... Mos Def.
    After reading some stuffers on http://diablo.incgamers.com/ re: 2H having %block in D2 (yeah I forgotz) why not have Wiz Staffs roll with reduced dmg from melee and range annnd make it so were useful in a party by having anyone standing within a certain radius of our awesome staff, receive said benefits as well? Reduced dmg from elites%too???

Yeah,....i do like some of those suggestions. And I'll include them as "other possibilities". I guess that I'm tending to think of staves as channeling weapons. With the lower attack speed, you'd use them because they use less AP and are geared toward that....so, Ray of Frost and Disintegrate especially...but perhaps also arcane orb and arcane torrent....since they are also kind of channeling-like (basically, the 4 skills listed as "secondary" active skills).

Right now (for my post as well as ROS Email suggestion) for a staff looks like this:
  • DPS - maybe 90% of what the max that a 1H + source could do
  • --------------
  • Primary Affix - Smart INT roll (maybe 90% of what the max of 1H + source)
  • Primary Affix - random
  • Primary Affix - random
  • Primary Affix - random
  • --------------
  • Secondary Affix - would roll +Max AP
  • Secondary Affix - random
  • --------------
  • Special APOC or CC Affix - with a range of 5-7 APOC or 5-7 CC
  • Special Resource Reduction Affix - 5-8% res. red. for one secondary spell*
  • --------------
    * Would randomly roll between Ray of Frost, Disintegrate, Arcane Torrent, and Arcane Orb (i.e. channeling spells)

-----------------------------------
    Justifications....I'm trying not to make a ton of changes...something that wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

• I'd keep the same 4+2 for primary/secondary, but add a two special staff bonuses. So, it'd essentially be 6 primaries....which is less than the 7 that you'd get from wand+source. Of course, the primary rolls are more than what you'd get from staff+source, but the "special" affixes are less that what you'd get on gear from other slots (including source), reflecting the lower attack speed.
  • Special Affix for APOC or CC - this is a nod to what you are giving up in ROS (no APOC on weapons) or what you'd get if you did wand+source (no APOC and no CC). The values would roll lower because the attack speed is lower and consume less AP....so, you'd need either less CC or APOC (since both are implicated in AP regeneration). Having APOC or CC on the staff gives you flexibility that you do not have now: with no APOC on a staff you are forced to have it on a helm. APOC or CC here lets you balance the stats that you need to make it work on other pieces of gear.
  • Special Affix for Resource Reduction - A small amount of resource reduction points people to using a staff for channeling (which is what it's best for). Whereas you might need resource regeneration on another piece of gear, having it here would allow you to roll a DPS oriented affix elsewhere (to make up for lower DPS and primary stat on the staff).
  • Secondary Affix - one would always roll +Max AP and the other would be random.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So, while it may seem like alot, it's basically:
    - slightly more DPS and max main stats than what they roll now
    - TWO special staff affixes to promote channeling spells.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ideas for Legendary Staffs. Now, keep in mind that they'd have to be really good, since you are giving up the possibility of having TWO from a wand/1H and a source. So, perhaps:

• Large reduction in ranged or melee damage (since sometimes you're channeling from close and sometimes from afar)
  • Unwavering Will is always active (i.e. promoting channeling)...and you still get 4 passives to choose.
  • AP recovers twice as fast when you're channeling (i.e. non APOC recovery)
  • Elemental Staff - transmutes all of your damage into a single element (fire, cold, arcane, or lightning)
    -----------------
    So, that's where I'm at right now with this "final" idea.

Edited by PieHole#1628 on 1/30/2014 12:22 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    On top of all this, I have an important request:

Did they fix the lack of "down" arrow yet when adding paragon points yet?

That is a critical design flaw.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    01/30/2014 10:06 AMPosted by Boozor
    Did they fix the lack of "down" arrow yet when adding paragon points yet?

its been mentioned several times in the ROS forums. I think yesterday Jaetch highlighted it again. He typically also emails in his findings. I presume that they are aware of it.
    Reply Quote
    01/30/2014 10:19 AMPosted by PieHole
    its been mentioned several times in the ROS forums. I think yesterday Jaetch highlighted it again. He typically also emails in his findings. I presume that they are aware of it.

Good thing I told him to get that fixed.

Might make or break the game
    Reply Quote
    Shut uuuppp Boozor.

You got some good ideas here piehole. I'll post my feedback when I get back from feeding.
    Reply Quote
    Add special Gandalf quote flavor text to all staffs.
    Reply Quote
    I can provide all the Gandalf quotes. I have one tatted on my leg!
    Reply Quote
    Still waiting to see my ammy on my wizard.

Another critical design flaw.

Jewelry needs to be more visible.

Please rely my concerns melk.
    Reply Quote
    01/30/2014 08:51 AMPosted by mzy
    but no one in the history of Diablo 2 has ever used it. :P

no, no, no, mzy why do have to be dang thorough! I like you soo much it hurtz :(
    Ok, so I was reading someone’s post on D3incgamers and screwed it up, cuz umm, yeah, I can't remember that far in time from my juvenile D2yrs, and well, I umm, messed up ok? I'm human ok?
    The post was about Safety Spears and %defense bonus. I confused with another post talking of block, my bad.

01/30/2014 09:51 AMPosted by PieHole
    I guess that I'm tending to think of staves as channeling weapons. With the lower attack speed, you'd use them because they use less AP and are geared toward that

That makes too much sense. Just stop.

01/30/2014 08:35 AMPosted by FL0Maxx
    it so were useful in a party

I should have written wanted here.
    Ima shut-up befo Melkor pimp slaps me soooon lol
    Reply Quote
    If I wanna see my ammy I'll go to Florida!
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    01/30/2014 10:43 AMPosted by FL0Maxx
    That makes too much sense. Just stop.

You want something else that makes too much sense? I'll never catch up with your paragons if you keep playing all the time. So, stop playing. Just stop.
    Reply Quote
    MVP - Diablo III
    View profile
    01/30/2014 10:47 AMPosted by Melkor

http://i.imgur.com/6odGEzc.jpg

¯\(°_o)/¯
    Twitter: @Jaetch
    Reply Quote
    IAS was king in D3V.

IAS is not king in ROS.. (or so it isn't AS King).

So really, a slower weapon is in it of itself a bonus for many specs. What you are getting from a 2H isn't as "visible" as what you are getting from a 1H. I feel as if you are forgetting that in your tradeoffs. The slower 2H is part of the bonus of having a 2H....

As far as the rest of what you came up with...why 5-7 APOC? 1H+Source is 10 APOC in ROS...why handicap the 2H with 5-7 (which is relatively useless given our proc rates)? I'd like to see 10. Not 8, not 9....10. That way I get the bonus from the source, I don't interfere with the weapon no longer having APOC, and I don't HAVE to go to a wizard hat?
    Reply Quote
    01/30/2014 10:56 AMPosted by Jaetch
    01/30/2014 10:47 AMPosted by Melkor

http://i.imgur.com/6odGEzc.jpg

¯\(°_o)/¯

lol
    Edited by Melkor#1521 on 1/30/2014 10:58 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    I came up with a couple double legendary affix combos. It might be cool if a few staffs has 2 instead of one.

1. Increases meteor shower bolide count to 10
    2. Removes -20 max AP energy armor penalty (doesn't do anything to energy tap)

1. When engaging an elite enemy or 6 or more enemies, summon a prismatic hydra that phases between fire/cold/arc/lite every 3 seconds (looks and functions like unruned hydra but changes color and remains on the battlefield for 10 seconds after the enemy conditions are no longer met).
    2. Each activation of elemental exposure last 2 additional seconds.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    01/30/2014 10:57 AMPosted by Melkor
    As far as the rest of what you came up with...why 5-7 APOC? 1H+Source is 10 APOC in ROS...why handicap the 2H with 5-7 (which is relatively useless given our proc rates)? I'd like to see 10. Not 8, not 9....10. That way I get the bonus from the source, I don't interfere with the weapon no longer having APOC, and I don't HAVE to go to a wizard hat?

I was trying to not make a true 1H+source comparison.....because like you said, there are inherent things that make 1H's better for. So, I tried to play off of that. Since 1H =/= 2H then CC and APOC probably can't be equal either.

Forgive my crude math....its simple because, well, I hate math. For now, the standard is 1.4 AS wand or sword with 10 APOC. If you use a staff with 1.0 AS (i.e. about 30% slower, thus, consuming AP 30% slower) and 10 APOC, then its essentially like having 14 APOC (i.e. 14 APOC * 70% = 10 APOC). So, if you only can roll up to 7 APOC, then that puts you right in line with, mathematically, a 1.4 AS weapon and 10 APOC. Right now you get 0 APOC, so I thought 7 mathematically made sense. Same math applies for CC. Right now we get 0. I thought 7 mathematically made sense and wasn't asking for too much.

I don't know if 7 APOC would make a channeling build viable or not. You still might need APOC from a hat. But I also asked for a little bit of -AP reduction for channeling spells. I think we're finding out that in ROS we'er going to need a combination of alot of things to make a build work. So: resource reduction, APOC, CC are all going to play a part. At least this staff gives you 2 of those....and would take the pressure off of needing it on other items.

It's just a start....and I don't think is asking too much. If in the end its not enough...then we'll ask for more, lol.

...pie
    Edited by PieHole#1628 on 1/30/2014 11:58 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    Ohhh ok, that makes sense.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]