Diablo® III

To work for Blizzard

I think this is the right place for this. I'll probably be banned or something; not because I broke any rules, but moreso because the topic is somewhat sensitive and cannot be discussed in polite society. I mean god forbid somebody has a question.

I'm almost upset to the point that I want to have nothing to do with Blizzard over this. I know, that gets thrown around a lot and I know that it doesn't matter in the least. In any case, here goes.

On your job summary/requirements page (http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=140001B) for a particular job, you have listed this specific line:

Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and its affiliated companies is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.

Now I know that it's great 'n all that you're equal opportunity, but isn't the last part a little bit opposite of equal opportunity? You're basically saying that we all have the same chance for employment consideration unless we're from a group that doesn't see a lot of representation in the field. If you're one of those groups, you get special consideration. That's not equal opportunity!

There are a lot of people "like" me in the programming field. It's disheartening to know that my parents' genetics, or hormones may have a direct affect on whether or not I am considered for employment, despite my personal level of effort, or skill.

You would think that having employees of the most common pool of people would be an asset. I mean who understands the greater percentage of people better than the greater percentage of people? If everybody at Blizzard were Antarctican non-gendered people, that could explain why they're having difficulty relating to gamers.

Why not just outsource? It's cheaper and you can have all of the unrepresented groups you could ever hope for!

rant.end(); // indicates the end of said rant

I'm legitimately curious about this, but I'm not holding my breath for a response in the form of words. You guys have a nice day!

*This post has been edited for clarity, removal of redundant phrases, and to add this last line.*
Edited by Stinkyfinger#1801 on 2/2/2014 7:19 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]