Diablo® III

On Enchanting Legacy Items

Stop attacking each other. We should be attacking Bizzard and the dev team.

Contrary to sentiments, enchanting 60s gear actually levels the playing field for low/mid level gear and high end gg gear when starting expansion. Enchanting gives greater boost for low/mid level gear compared to gg gear. Without enchanting there would be a bigger gap in equipment differences (read OPs statement/review).

The problem arises to the fact that some gear are superior to level 70s gear. That is the dev fault and we should be attacking them not each other.
Edited by ItchyFingers#1567 on 2/6/2014 2:40 PM PST
I had just apply for the cancel for my order with the battle net ticket submitted, now waiting for their reply on my request.. It was very sad and sorry for me, as this Diablo game series are my favor PC game.

Just to add this comment to all player or gamer:

Please, Kindly learn to respect to all individual person that are playing, having fun on their individual play-style on the game that we bought to play:
Being it whether you want or like to be

1) Self found
2) Trader
3) Pay to play

There are totally nothing wrong or right, it a game that we purchased to had fun game play to enjoyed with, on the desired of our choices, optional and opinions for our own individual gaming experience on any games.

Please Kindly learned to Respect all individually opinion of the option and choice we choose of our own desired game playing experience.

Thank you
02/06/2014 11:15 AMPosted by rootguy
02/06/2014 10:47 AMPosted by Linkamus
Items that were potentially bought from the AH should not be able to be enchanted, balancing issues aside. All that would do is still give a HUGE advantage to people that used the AH before the Xpac. I don't want to feel like I can't progress as much as an AH user anymore. Seriously, Blizzard coming out and saying that you can't enchant legacy items is what made me pre-order the expansion finally.

This is indeed taking on insane proportions. I propose severe punishment for former ah addicts with the audacity to play ros. Perhaps a lifetime ban from ros would be most appropriate.

I see using the AH as cheating, so for blizzard to make every item bought on the AH worthless is my dream come true.
I'm not sure why people keep saying level 70 loot needs to be better. 60 loot isn't better if you can't enchant it, so 70 loot is fine. If you were using un-enchanted 60 loot then we'd have a real problem.

Fact of the matter is that D3V has a HUGE problem with "must have" items. There are many that have no competition for BiS. Also the damage/mitigation number have completely changed in RoS as have many other systems. CD is gone on weapons for the most part in order to eliminate at least one affix that can be replaced by something else. It is also to reduce, in part, the amount of DPS scaling to have a smoother curve of player power. I have a leveled up a number of characters only using the new loot system and the game is much more enjoyable to play. The damage model works much, much better than D3V.

The biggest problem with RoS loot is 2ndary stats. If they throw ALL healing affixes into 2ndary as well as skill specific buffs, everything should be fine. You'll have to choose between AR and armor or more DPS, but choices are good.

I honestly think blizzard is not so scared of a buffed witching hour as they are of the -cost to skills and -cd seconds to skills combined with % reduction available on new gear. Combined with many of the class changes this stuff is sure to lead to broken builds that will only be available to those who have played D3V and a resulting black market of legacy items. Blizzard generally is not a fan of crazy stuff only available to those who played before an expansion and neither am I.

People like INVIS are already breaking RoS with some of this stuff so I can only imagine what will happen when you have millions of people playing.
Self found players should be for enchanting 60s gear. Enchanting helps them close the gap with high end gg RMAH gear so they can acquire 70s gear faster. Without enchanting the gap remains there and high end gg gear will just still continue to dominate at getting gear faster than everyone else. Read OPs statement about enchanting. It helps low/mid level gear more than high end gg gear.
02/06/2014 02:42 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
02/06/2014 02:22 PMPosted by Pri
If you guys keep attacking each other, this thread will get shutdown.

Why not chill with the personal attacks. It seems as if the decision has already been made.

What is there to attack each other about?

AOHNH threads usually go this way. He's a good troll. He posts stuff that is patently retarded but just enough on-topic that people will respond.

Right on, I've noticed a trend with that individual. He's obviously got nothing better to do...quite sad.
Legacy items can no longer be enchanted......

Not playing RoS now.....

Thanks Blizz
02/06/2014 02:38 PMPosted by Cybah
We should wait until he had to go to bed.

He doesn't go to bed, he keeps flipping and RMAHing through the night like the true clueless Tycoon that he is.
02/06/2014 02:42 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
AOHNH threads usually go this way. He's a good troll. He posts stuff that is patently retarded but just enough on-topic that people will respond.

Nice to see another AH tycoon whining about changes.

I thought you were going to quit last time new content was announced? Couldn't stay away, could you?
02/06/2014 02:41 PMPosted by Linkamus
02/06/2014 11:15 AMPosted by rootguy

This is indeed taking on insane proportions. I propose severe punishment for former ah addicts with the audacity to play ros. Perhaps a lifetime ban from ros would be most appropriate.

I see using the AH as cheating, so for blizzard to make every item bought on the AH worthless is my dream come true.

Cheaters they are! Only the pure and the righteous have a place in sanctuary.
I really can't believe Blizzard would prevent legacy enchanting.....

It's just poor design that a legacy item 10 levels lower can even begin to compete with a level 70 item.

If done correctly the 4 main stat thing could be fine, but apparently your implementation is just bad.

Why not have lvl 70 items only roll good stats? Let's say for example your belt has rolled AR, Vit, Primary stat and (let the 4th slot for armor be whatever). Since this item is a belt why not let the 2ndary stats be belt special slot rolls? That means that the other 2 stats could be life % and chance to freeze on hit. For a shoulder piece the special stats are life % and chance to stun. Now you can have some garbage 2ndary rolls in there but wtf..... don't make legacy items more appealing than the new OP gear.

Enchanted legacy items will help people get into the new game. If "perfect" legacy items can outroll ROS drops then you've dropped the ball. Time to Reinvent the wheel gentlemen
Community Manager
02/05/2014 02:34 PMPosted by Jaetch
allow Legacy items to be enchanted, however, only to the levels they currently enjoy in the Closed Beta.

This isn't a bad idea, and one that we'd totally be open to... if we weren't this close to launch. Simply put, at this juncture, we don't have time for working out the bugs and doing the tuning passes to make sure this feature works properly. It was something we considered, but had to pass on in favor of working on other areas of the game.

Ultimately, we'd be working on a feature where, in either case, players will eventually replace the gear in question. This just happens a little sooner now.

02/05/2014 02:49 PMPosted by Amos
why are people afraid of inflation in stats for a game anyway - its just a game not our world economy.

Inflation can, at a certain point, cause numerical values to become less meaningful. When numbers get too big, it's often overwhelming. During the Friends & Family Beta, we received exactly that kind of feedback from both our internal and external testers. The jump in power was too significant, and the journey lost some of its oomph in the process. That's why we scaled it back.

We may have scaled it back a bit too far, and there are some changes in the new Beta patch (especially for 2-handed weapons) that should help some of the items that were impacted the most. We've also been working on tuning other aspects of the game, such as monster health and power, to make sure it aligns with the current itemization design.

02/05/2014 02:42 PMPosted by STEVELoven
Buffing adding to the game is much better then nerfing and taking away.

Increasing power isn't always the answer, and decreasing power is almost never the popular route for players. There are times, however, when these adjustments are necessary.

With patch 2.0.1 and the expansion, we are making a huge fundamental shift to itemization, and that shift is intended to create more meaningful decisions and an item game that’s better balanced on the whole. We want there to be a noticeable and potentially difficult choice when you're picking between raw power or survivability. And we want you to consider balancing those stats, and swapping some items around to account for something new.

Currently, items have too much power potential, and it’s made many stats feel disproportionately strong compared to others. Balancing those stats on your characters was often not much of a choice, because you could simply have all of them in nearly every slot. This resulted in limited decision making, and the item game itself wasn’t as interesting as we’d like it to be. It probably wasn’t as interesting as many of you liked it be, either – or at least that’s the feedback we’ve received.

In order to address those issues, we effectively had to create a new baseline for itemization. Simple tuning wasn’t going to cut it. As a result of those changes and with that new baseline in play, characters are not as powerful (in terms of raw numbers) are they are currently on the live game. That’s intended, and likely what a lot of you are reacting so strongly to. However, we didn’t just make adjustments to items; we also revisited monster power, difficulty, skills, pacing, density, and more with the new baseline in mind. The entire game has undergone significant rebalancing to help support new itemization and make sure everything works well together.

It's a major design change, and I understand that it's jarring. I also understand that it might not feel great right now, either. It sucks to have power taken away; we totally get that as gamers, and it’s not something we like to do willy-nilly. But ideally the adjustment period should be temporary, and what’s more is that these changes should be better for the long-term health of the game and your experience as well.

This is actually why it’s important (or why we feel it’s important) for Legacy items to attrition a little more quickly than what we had previously designed when beta launched, as they’re artifacts of an older system and don’t really mesh well with the new item game. They’re effectively outliers, and what we found is that players with these items would feel like they never found upgrades while playing, because they could simply enchant those older items continuously. And yes, they would be more powerful, because they were designed under what’s effectively now a different system where items had much more power potential, albeit less variety. Rather than retroactively change these items or wiping them, we’re simply restricting them from being enchantable; this seems like a fair compromise to us, especially since enchanting was tuned and balanced under the new itemization baseline. These items aren’t going anywhere, and you’ll still get to use them for a while – but upgrades will come more quickly because new items have more options and variety.

Think of it like a new coat of paint. I understand that the old one was nice to look at, but this one really brings the whole room together instead of just being an appreciable shade. :)
I still think there is a problem of finding even "decent" items with the new system. The main reason people on the beta resorted so much to enchanting legacy items is because they were better than what was being found. I think this speaks for the new itemization; older stuff is better than new stuff. I for one don't like the idea of "taking a step back" of having to replace current items with less quality newer items because we have to. Because older gear becoming better than new gear doesn't make sense. Shouldn't an expansion show improvement?

Another concern I have seen is the amount of time it takes to complete a set. For example, with the new system in place, how long would it take to actually get (for sake of conversation) an Inna or Nat's set to get the bonuses? I do love the idea of the new legendary items and being able to get a level 70 Magefist for example. BUT with the way drops work now, it would take a person forever to collect the various pieces of a set. Or are sets not worth using anymore? And what about those that can only play maybe an hour or two a day? Their progression on getting a legendary would be SO SLOW and painful.

Maybe I am misunderstanding this, just my thoughts is all. I like the idea in that it makes us play the game all over again (like a fresh start) but I also see where people are coming from, all their hard earned gear or real money they spent wasted for nothing.
Edited by TeddyBear#1415 on 2/6/2014 7:42 PM PST
02/06/2014 07:00 PMPosted by Nevalistis

It's a major design change, and I understand that it's jarring. I also understand that it might not feel great right now, either. It sucks to have power taken away; we totally get that as gamers, and it’s not something we like to do willy-nilly. But ideally the adjustment period should be temporary, and what’s more is that these changes should be better for the long-term health of the game and your experience as well.

So.....

-devs had gear with poor itemization that had certain affixes that could be stacked to powerful proportions.
-devs updated the gear to make it gear with poor itemization that is harder to stack certain affixes to powerful proportions.
-as a result, some lower level old gear ends up being better than higher lever new gear when just 1 affix is modified with higher level affixes through enchanting.
-then, rather than dealing with the embarrassment of having old gear outshine the shiny new crappy gear...or just limiting the stat affix range of lower level equipment that gets enchanted...devs take the easy way out.

......and burn 1,000 bridges along the way.

Seems like an intelligent decision.
Edited by adm0ni#1887 on 2/6/2014 7:45 PM PST
02/06/2014 07:00 PMPosted by Nevalistis
Think of it like a new coat of paint. I understand that the old one was nice to look at, but this one really brings the whole room together instead of just being an appreciable shade. :)

I'm thinking that for many of the long time player base, myself included, this recently revealed revelation seems be to be more like a coat of paint remover than paint...plus the fact that it might have been nicer if the walls were painted one at a time so we could really enjoy the process of how the room was coming together!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]