Diablo® III

ROS Pre 2.01 items no longer enchantable

Good lord talk about throwing out the baby with the bath water. One would think they would ban enchanting on the 'offending' items like Echos and Calamity's but its appears to be a legacy item wide ban.

Currently, items enchant values that are equivalent to the item's level. However, there's a major change coming in the next build, and this thread was the most appropriate to communicate it in given the topic at hand.

In the next Beta patch, Legacy items (or items that drop prior to Patch 2.0.1) will no longer be able to be enchanted. This was a decision we ultimately made because certain Legacy items, when enchanted, became disproportionately strong compared to new items, which isn't the intent.

However, there's an interesting "bug," if you'd like to call it, that will result from this change in the next Beta patch - all items gained up until the patch will no longer be able to be enchanted. This is an artifact of the fix implementation, and we felt it prudent to communicate this as soon as we could for those of you in the Beta. All items that drop in Patch 2.0.1 and forward will be able to be enchanted, so this shouldn't be an issue as we move into the live patch and onward to the expansion launch.

Can't say how disappointing this is. We expected to re-gear but this makes it that much harder considering our vanilla gear has even an even shorter shelf life. For someone like me who has close to 3000 hours into the game this is basically saying thanks for your time and investment but time to completely start over. One would think they would want to reward those who play the game the most not the opposite. Sigh!
Reply Quote
Not surprising. RoS is supposed to be a new beginning, for EVERYBODY.
Reply Quote
Yeah, this was quite a punch to the gut. Fortunately I had not spent a great deal of gold/time on gear specifically to re-roll quite yet. However, I know others have, so that is pretty terrible news for them.

Wish I would have had the inside scoop before now though, as I would have sold off more of the gear I have been storing for RoS. I imagine prices on the AH will really take a nosedive now (if they haven't already).
Reply Quote
02/05/2014 12:35 AMPosted by Thrax

I agree with that to an extent. However, there really was no indication that they would make a decision like this over the past few months, so while I understand the reasoning for making this decision, I feel they could have done so earlier.

And yes, everyone is, or should be aware that items will change, but for those who have spent a considerable amount of gold/money on the game, a change like this definitely stings.

They really just need to make sure the new loot is exciting. From what I've seen thus far, it still needs a lot of work.
Reply Quote
"In the next Beta patch, Legacy items (or items that drop prior to Patch 2.0.1) will no longer be able to be enchanted. This was a decision we ultimately made because certain Legacy items, when enchanted, became disproportionately strong compared to new items, which isn't the intent. "

Another option would have been to fix the Loot 2 system to ensure that RoS items are better than legacy items. A lot of players have spent months or years. Obviously all of it would eventually become obsolete which is fine but at least the Mystic allowed a level of continuity and reward for people who have played the game for a long time and put a lot of time and effort into creating their characters. It would be nice to have one or two pieces move with me into the expansion. Perhaps I'm just sentimental :)

As it is, it will be a totally new game, which is also fine if it is a good game, but it seems the jury is also out on this. It seems that the subset of players who have the time and patience to grind out their own gear will benefit the most. Obviously there is nothing wrong with that and I respect that style of play, however not everyone fits into that subset.

I actually haven't gotten around to buying RoS yet......
Edited by Morpheus#6524 on 2/5/2014 12:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/05/2014 12:35 AMPosted by Thrax

They really just need to make sure the new loot is exciting. From what I've seen thus far, it still needs a lot of work.
That's what I'm afraid of, because the subliminal message here is that the RoS items are so terrible that the only way they can shine is if the legacy items are handicapped.
Reply Quote
horrible news indeed
Reply Quote
omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?omg Y? how? when?
Reply Quote
So glad I quit and sold all my stuff.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]