Diablo® III

Concern over Blizzard Advertsing

Community Manager
The blog in question is a First Look blog, as DeadRu has mentioned. This means it was intended to provide an inside look at the current development state and functionality of the Mystic, at the time it was written.

We've always said that details can and likely will change over the course of development. This happens to be one of those times.

Originally, we did want to give players this opportunity. We didn't want to invalidate or take away player options. However, it became increasingly evident through testing that artifacts of the old itemization system could become overpowered through enchanting, especially so with certain items. This is why testing is so important, and it was a decision that took some time to make.

I'd also like to throw out there that some players seem to think this means you can't enchant level 1-60 items at all, when that isn't true. Items gained prior to the 2.0.1 patch hitting the live servers will be unable to be enchanted. Anything you gain after the patch launches and before the expansion, however, are eligible to be enchanted.
I don't understand... Do people really want their lvl 60 gear to be even near the same power level as newly found 70 gear?

Don't you actually want to find upgrades? What is the fricken point?
Why is the Dev team concerned with things being overpowered?
02/05/2014 10:13 AMPosted by Nevalistis
Originally, we did want to give players this opportunity. We didn't want to invalidate or take away player options. However, it became increasingly evident through testing that artifacts of the old itemization system could become overpowered through enchanting, especially so with certain items. This is why testing is so important, and it was a decision that took some time to make.

And what exactly that would constitute a problem?!? You know if 2.0 would actually introduced an itemization system that would desenfranchise a wild use of CC, CHD, AS, Main Stat etc.... You know adding real depth ot the item game, where 2 different barb builds would need different affixes to be able viable you guys wouldn't need to take this route. But here we are with a ARPG that's not a Real RPG that has no depth in itemization.

Edit: Just to add more salt to the wound why these threads, that raise real long time concerns of Diablo 3's quality of itemization and character building, haven't been adressed by the devs?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11396929633
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11395919547
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11582608407
Edited by Ravlaor#1393 on 2/5/2014 10:27 AM PST
The blog in question is a First Look blog, as DeadRu has mentioned. This means it was intended to provide an inside look at the current development state and functionality of the Mystic, at the time it was written.

We've always said that details can and likely will change over the course of development. This happens to be one of those times.

I'd also like to throw out there that some players seem to think this means you can't enchant level 1-60 items at all, when that isn't true. Items gained prior to the 2.0.1 patch hitting the live servers will be unable to be enchanted. Anything you gain after the patch launches and before the expansion, however, are eligible to be enchanted.

The core issue is that you have taken away player choice for balance. I am all for new things but choice is one reason why I play games. I have the time to choose from TV, video games of all sorts.

Now that choice has been removed. You have decided that I simply must leave everything behind and go forward. I am starting to feel like I am at work. Tow the line or don't show up.
02/05/2014 10:19 AMPosted by pkBrave
I don't understand... Do people really want their lvl 60 gear to be even near the same power level as newly found 70 gear?

Don't you actually want to find upgrades? What is the fricken point?

You're actually questioning the entire concept of the mystic since you'll be able to enchant level 70 items as well, it's what the mystic is for. Besides, enchanting an item is by definition 'finding an upgrade' anyway.
It's a bait and switch by Blizzard.

For nearly a year now, we've been told that we can enchant current gear when the expansion arrives. Now, within the last 24 hours, all of that was flipped upside down. Were we lied to this entire time? Or, was this monumental decision a knee-jerk reaction to Blizzard watching Beta streamers and realizing that enchanting current D3v gear is indeed in fact better than the lackluster gear in D3RoS? Why not just make D3Xpac gear that much more exciting than nerf what we already have? It's pretty disappointing when even a Lvl 60 item even with enchantment outperforms an expansion item even with the benefit of enchantment. That's where the item design of this game truly needs redevelopment.

I feel sorry for people who can't cancel their preorders on this game. For all of the advertisements and beta testing we've done for free, the people who paid early should at least be able to get their money back. I know that I'm going to be investing my money in Titanfall or Elder Scrolls online instead of RoS unless I can sell all my current gear in the RMAH and pay for the Xpac for free.

As a true Blizzard fan (or once was), I'm very disappointed in nearly every decision Blizzard has made with Diablo 3.
You guys beg and scream for sneak peaks and hints of whats to come as far as updates and features, and when they post information about details that are under development and subject to change then you all scream "bait and switch" or lies, or misleading advertising when said details change through thier rigourous design and testing process.
Edited by KamJAM88#1955 on 2/5/2014 10:33 AM PST

But doesn't this say something about loot 2.0? Perhaps those Legendary Affix are not game-changing enough. I would gladly give up some DPS for something awesome.

When I say awesome, I'm not referring to those bracers that spawn an elite pack when activating a shrine. It's a gimmick, yet fun, effect. It's mostly a swap-gear.

So many Legendary items are horrible on their own and you need multiple of them to make something viable. That's not how it should be.
02/05/2014 10:21 AMPosted by OneL
level 70 items suck so much that well-enchanted level 60 items can compete with them

Of course enchanted lower level items can compete with non-enchanted higher level items, that happens when you enchant things. Thing is, those current lvl 60 items will become too powerfull when being enchanted. Probably due to the trifecta nonsense on all these items.

I'd rather have fun in finding new items that can be enchanted compared to having items and being overpowered in an instant. Do you want to play this game or do you simply want to 'win' it? If it's the latter, there are other games for you, with cheat codes or hero editors.
View profile
They can do whatever they want, everything is subject to change.

To be honest, I don't see much value in " Anything you gain after the patch launches and before the expansion, however, are eligible to be enchanted." Pissed players are still pissed regardless of this statement is true or not.

EDIT: And I really dislike this "nerf existing items people spent money/time on so that the new stuff looks better" move from blizzard. The sudden decision is not warranted and seems to be based on just the feedback from a few individuals.
Edited by twobeeez#1609 on 2/5/2014 10:52 AM PST
We've always said that details can and likely will change over the course of development. This happens to be one of those times. .

In my mind this is not "a detail" but a major feature that has been implied for a great many months as being a huge part of the expansion. Many purchases over these months (of which Blizzard took 15%), and obviously, considerable efforts by the long term player base, are being callously discarded in this 11th hour before release. Apparently the Devs. are not capable of doing their jobs...living up to Blizzard's implicit, if not "legally" explicit, promises.

How can you not realize what a slap in the face this is to those who have stuck with this game for so long?
02/05/2014 10:36 AMPosted by Zyron
02/05/2014 10:23 AMPosted by Ravlaor

And what exactly that would constitute a problem?!? You know if 2.0 would actually introduced an itemization system that would desenfranchise a wild use of CC, CHD, AS, Main Stat etc.... You know adding real depth ot the item game, where 2 different barb builds would need different affixes to be able viable you guys wouldn't need to take this route. But here we are with a ARPG that's not a Real RPG that has no depth in itemization.

Edit: Just to add more salt to the wound why these threads, that raise real long time concerns of Diablo 3's quality of itemization and character building, haven't been adressed by the devs?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11396929633
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11395919547
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11582608407

Adding character depth would mean ALOT of work, imho that is why it remains a key fault in this game,
Droth's thread really pointed out just how shallow the game still is, & of course it too will be ignored.
Gosu was ignored, Grug was ignored, some of this forums brightest & well spoken minds have written hundreds of well thought out blogs regarding this games terrible depth issues, they ALL get ignored.
This staff continues to ignore the real issues, pray they do not further alter the deal.

Unfortunately. And those threads deserve reply from Wyat and Travis. Instead of revisiting the whole itemization what we got? Double down. The high end itemization remains awful narrowing everything to the same affixes of Vanilla. Not to mention our inability to further costumize and improve our skills....
I'm still curious which specific level 60 loot 1.0 items trump level 70 loot 2.0 items. What happened to "I like big numbers" in the loot 2.0 design manifesto? The more I read the worse they get..
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]