Diablo® III

[Review] - Monk RoS datamined changes 2/6/14

MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Hello there!

Continuing with my traditional work, I have written up a review for the recently datamined changes that are coming for Monks in RoS.

There wasn't too much info ... but some stuff is quite nice! :D

Nice formatting --
http://bannedofgamers.com/index.php?threads/monk-ros-datamined-changes-2-6-14.307/
Text --
Datamined Changes

Obviously everyone cares the most about --
ItemCannotBeEnchantedLegacy - The mystic cannot enchant legacy items.

For my take on this please see HERE --
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11306220847?page=9#161

Important points for monks
Fists of Thunder
Static Charge : Fists of Thunder applies Static Charge to enemies hit for 6 seconds. Each time an enemy with Static Charge gets hit, there is a chance that every other enemy with Static Charge within 40 yards takes 125% weapon damage as Lightning.
This would appear to be a pretty major nerf.

Static charge was barely usable as-is with it no longer proccing off TR or other DoT based effects and it no longer has a reasonable Proc C so it can't really support SW-C as it used to.

Until further notice, I consider this to be the end of FoT in RoS.

Mantra of Retribution
Retaliation : Passive: Increase the amount of damage inflicted by Mantra of Retribution to 202% weapon damage as Fire.
This is an interesting choice.

Mantra of Evasion - Backlash already does reflection-based damage as Fire so now there are two options. I have not yet figured out when you would prefer Backlash and when you would prefer Ret ... but it sure seems like Ret wins 99% of the time.

I see this as a buff to Fire-Monks although it is a small one.
Wave of Light
Pillar of the Ancients : Summon an ancient pillar that deals 498% weapon damage as Physical followed by an additional 498% weapon damage as Physical after 2 seconds.
This is a pretty solid buff all-in-all.

Doombringer can buff phys-damage by up to 40% making the phys-damage Pillar monk a real possibility in RoS. It also separates WoL into the physical camp and the holy camp which will add to feeling of differentiation.

Tempest Rush
Bluster : Enemies hit are knocked back and deal 20% reduced damage for 1 second. / Tempest Rush's damage turns into Fire.
Northern Breeze : Reduce the channeling cost of Tempest Rush to 8 Spirit and increase its damage to 343% weapon damage as Holy.
Flurry : Enemies hit are Slowed by 60%. / Tempest Rush's damage turns into Cold.
Buffs all around!

The big one here is Northern Breeze. I already have a fully functional Northern Breeze DPS build and I also happen to own a Skycutter ... you better believe I am bringing these two together!

I don't see Bluster or Flurry seeing a lot of play ... but you never know with the crazy environment we live in now. Rimeheart + Flurry + Frosties + Maxed IAS gear = the real deal.

Mystic Ally
Water Ally : Active: Your mystic ally performs 7 wave attacks in quick succession, each dealing 190% weapon damage as Cold. / Passive: A mystic ally fights by your side that infuses your attacks to ChillSlow enemies by 60% for 3 seconds
This is a subtle but very real nerf.

MA-WA used to make 100% of the damage a monk did turn into cold damage and proc Frosties. It will no longer do that.

I think this is a good choice as it made gearing around cold damage exceedingly easy ... just slap on MA-WA and use all the normal skills. Now you will have to actually take Cold skills if you want to proc Frosties / Rimeheart.

Unfortunately, Water Ally is now in the realm of "completely terrible" which is unfortunate.

ITEM CHANGES
ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_739_x1 - Elemental skills have a chance to trigger a powerful attack that deals [{VALUE1}*100]% weapon damage:
*Cold skills trigger Freezing Skull
*Poison skills trigger Poison Nova
*Lightning skills trigger Charged Bolt
VERY cool. Monks have access to a LOT of elements quite easily and proccing all three of these should be within the monk skillset.

My go-to example which I will definitely try when/if I find this item is:
Use Deadly Reach - Scattered Blows (first two hits do "weapon damage" third does "lighting damage")
Use one weapon with Cold damage, one weapon with Poison damage.

Every three hit combo will result in 1 hit from each element!

ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_600_x1 - Summons shadow clones to your aid when you Stun an enemy. This effect may occur once every {VALUE1} seconds. (Added occurrence limitation)
This was the only item that got changed that monks really used and even then it wasn't really a thing.
The clones, as with all summoned companions, had no HP and did no damage in higher difficulty levels. Giving them a stated internal cooldown certainly doesn't help with this.

Hopefully there will be a hidden fix along with this patch to improve ALL summoned minions so that they scale with your character in some way ... if not ... <Sigh>

<3
Edited by Druin#1518 on 2/6/2014 12:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Belated Happy Birthday Mr. Happy Monk!

Again, enjoyed the read and keeping us posted on the new changes.

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote
TEM CHANGES
ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_739_x1 - Elemental skills have a chance to trigger a powerful attack that deals [{VALUE1}*100]% weapon damage:
*Cold skills trigger Freezing Skull
*Poison skills trigger Poison Nova
*Lightning skills trigger Charged Bolt
VERY cool. Monks have access to a LOT of elements quite easily and proccing all three of these should be within the monk skillset.

My go-to example which I will definitely try when/if I find this item is:
Use Deadly Reach - Scattered Blows (first two hits do "weapon damage" third does "lighting damage")
Use one weapon with Cold damage, one weapon with Poison damage.

I could be wrong here, but aren't those the proc effects which were chosen for the "design a legendary" contest? Meaning they'll ultimately be tied to a one-handed sword.
Edited by overg#1771 on 2/6/2014 3:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
02/06/2014 03:32 PMPosted by overg
I could be wrong here, but aren't those the proc effects which were chosen for the "design a legendary" contest? Meaning they'll ultimately be tied to a one-handed sword.

I believe so. I meant to imply that this was the case and failed to do so! My bad!
Reply Quote
Did you mean the end of FOT in general? Wouldn't it still be very viable with lightening builds or builds that utilize the knockback damage buff from the new Strongarm bracers?

While it definitely seems to be left behind in DPS, I'd like to believe that FoT/TC still has some utility with lightening dmg, built in knockback, and teleport - all of which have some synergy via monk set items or other legendary affixes.
Edited by nodulologist#1288 on 2/6/2014 4:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
02/06/2014 04:17 PMPosted by nodulologist
Did you mean the end of FOT in general? Wouldn't it still be very viable with lightening builds or builds that utilize the knockback damage buff from the new Strongarm bracers?

While it definitely seems to be left behind in DPS, I'd like to believe that FoT/TC still has some utility with lightening dmg, built in knockback, and teleport - all of which have some synergy via monk set items or other legendary affixes.

I will admit that I may be over reacting without seeing the numbers.

FoT feels REALLY bad in RoS right now. It's slow, the proc C was obviously nerfed and the teleport has way less utility than it did.

Without testing the Proc C and APS mod data I can't conclusively say if it is good or not ... but I have a RoS WKL + light dmg gear + Thunderfury and I still prefer WotHF-BF over FoT-<any rune> despite being a lightning monk ... so there is that.
Reply Quote
02/06/2014 04:17 PMPosted by nodulologist

I will admit that I may be over reacting without seeing the numbers.

FoT feels REALLY bad in RoS right now. It's slow, the proc C was obviously nerfed and the teleport has way less utility than it did.

Without testing the Proc C and APS mod data I can't conclusively say if it is good or not ... but I have a RoS WKL + light dmg gear + Thunderfury and I still prefer WotHF-BF over FoT-<any rune> despite being a lightning monk ... so there is that.

I did a couple of short Ghom runs on the PTR to get an idea how much better WotHF is compared to FoT, and it is clearly better at single target DPS both with/without Sweeping Wind. I have no doubt that it feels even better at level 70 on the beta. Even still, I'm not ready to completely write off our old go-to friend.
Edited by nodulologist#1288 on 2/6/2014 4:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
What's the point of analyzing possibly misinterpreted datamined info when they are providing actual patch notes and PTR server to verify/test? But anways... I still like water ally + submission as a dishearten alternative. Overall, not too bad a change with the lower difficulty changes + noticeable xp gain.

At least Centurion / Johan / Rimeheart still keeps the dream alive!
Reply Quote
02/06/2014 07:44 PMPosted by Davlok
What's the point of analyzing possibly misinterpreted datamined info when they are providing actual patch notes and PTR server to verify/test? But anways... I still like water ally + submission as a dishearten alternative. Overall, not too bad a change with the lower difficulty changes + noticeable xp gain.

At least Centurion / Johan / Rimeheart still keeps the dream alive!
errr to help others

your welcome
Reply Quote
+1 :)

Nice summary, keep it up :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]