Diablo® III

Who canonically defeated the Prime Evil?

MVP - Reddit Diablo
View profile
Basically, who actually defeated the Prime Evil in Diablo 3?

In Diablo 1, it was a Warrior, a Rogue, and a Sorcerer, who end up being Aidan, Blood Raven, and the Summoner, respectively.

In Diablo 2, Deckard Cain mentions in his book that it was the combination of the seven heroes that managed to defeat Baal in LoD.

However, the Book of Tyrael and Storm of Light only briefly mention whoever it was that defeated Diablo, and it almost seems to point that it was only one hero. So, which one of the heroes actually defeated him, or was it a combination of the heroes again?
Reply Quote
In the RoS teaser, Tyrael tells his Neo-Horadrim buddies to scram and to "find the Nephalem". I am quite sure "the Nephalem" is also the answer to your question.

Not really a satisfying answer, I know. We don't know whether "the Nephalem" is used as singular or plural. Although a full group of non-expansion Nephalem classes would be my bet.
(Nevermind the fact that the ridiculous group size limit of 4 actually makes that impossible, purely game-mechanics-wise.)
Edited by Excidium#2712 on 2/7/2014 9:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
The story has become very convoluted for marketing reasons, the Nephalem killed Diablo, this could be one person, or many heroes. I would like to find this out aswell, and also hear what may have happened to the heroes of Diablo II(Diablo III taking place only 20 years later im sure they may still be around in Sanctuary), along with who the Diablo III Barbarian is suppose to represent.
Reply Quote
MVP - Reddit Diablo
View profile
02/07/2014 11:21 AMPosted by KamJAM88
The story has become very convoluted for marketing reasons, the Nephalem killed Diablo, this could be one person, or many heroes. I would like to find this out aswell, and also hear what may have happened to the heroes of Diablo II(Diablo III taking place only 20 years later im sure they may still be around in Sanctuary), along with who the Diablo III Barbarian is suppose to represent.

You can actually find out what happened to the D2 Sorceress in the Wizard short story: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/lore/short-story/wizard/. And the D3 Barbarian is not the same Barbarian as in D2. They originally planned that, but decided otherwise.
Edited by Thunderclaww#1932 on 2/7/2014 12:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/07/2014 09:43 AMPosted by Excidium
In the RoS teaser, Tyrael tells his Neo-Horadrim buddies to scram and to "find the Nephalem". I am quite sure "the Nephalem" is also the answer to your question.

Not really a satisfying answer, I know. We don't know whether "the Nephalem" is used as singular or plural. Although a full group of non-expansion Nephalem classes would be my bet.
(Nevermind the fact that the ridiculous group size limit of 4 actually makes that impossible, purely game-mechanics-wise.)

In the Book of Tyrael and Storm of Light the mentioning of the player character's Nephalem is singular. He/she is referred to as the Nephalem hero instead of the Nephalem heroes. I was really surprised by this since they went to such lengths to include all of the D2 heroes, why not do the same for D3? I know there are more classes then the player caps for games but you don't need to limit the story for that.
Reply Quote
In D1, it was the "Battle of Tristram", according to Charsi. There were many combatants that went to Tristram to fight against Diablo. In D2, it was at least 7 (one from each class). In D3, I think that it was a group of nephalem, but I'm not sure.
Reply Quote
its going to be an class added latter to the game in some other $40 dlc

kind of like how they turned the D1 warrior into his older son

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I plan on selling games like toilet paper" -Bobby Kotick acta-bliz CEO
Reply Quote
02/06/2014 01:51 PMPosted by Thunderclaww

However, the Book of Tyrael and Storm of Light only briefly mention whoever it was that defeated Diablo, and it almost seems to point that it was only one hero. So, which one of the heroes actually defeated him, or was it a combination of the heroes again?

Brief answer: a nephalem

Who is he/she?

We will know that in Diablo 4 maybe
Reply Quote
02/07/2014 12:10 PMPosted by Thunderclaww
02/07/2014 11:21 AMPosted by Noremak

You can actually find out what happened to the D2 Sorceress in the Wizard short story: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/lore/short-story/wizard/. And the D3 Barbarian is not the same Barbarian as in D2. They originally planned that, but decided otherwise.

So was the sorceress in D2 Isendra? I only remember Isendra saying herself that she battled the demons during the war, but I don't exactly remember her saying that she took down Baal, together with the other heroes.
Edited by Disorbarized#2159 on 2/26/2014 12:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
It's left open-ended for a reason. The "Hero" that saves the mortal world is YOUR character. It's no different than Warcraft's expansion endings where 'The brave, few adventurers that united Azeroth in her time of need' would kill the Lich King, or Death Wing. Each person writes the story for themselves, there is no one solid answer.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I am pretty sure from the event in act 2 when you help the necromancer defeat the ghosts he tells you that his master who fought the demons 20 years ago died and he is avenging him. Something along those lines
Reply Quote
The easiest answer is a group of Nephalem heroes slew Diablo, each representing a different class in game, and all of which will likely be left up to personal interpretation as to which class was which gender.

Now, one of these heroes might have scored the Final Blow, and therefore be referred to as the singular slayer of the Prime Evil, but every class was there and all were fighting (4 person limit game mechanics be ignored).
Reply Quote
MVP - Reddit Diablo
View profile
02/27/2014 10:43 AMPosted by Mitissa
It's left open-ended for a reason. The "Hero" that saves the mortal world is YOUR character. It's no different than Warcraft's expansion endings where 'The brave, few adventurers that united Azeroth in her time of need' would kill the Lich King, or Death Wing. Each person writes the story for themselves, there is no one solid answer.

Right, but I'm asking if it was a group of heroes (as per Diablo 2 and kinda like Diablo 1), or if it was a singular hero.

03/13/2014 10:43 AMPosted by Druidtoe
I am pretty sure from the event in act 2 when you help the necromancer defeat the ghosts he tells you that his master who fought the demons 20 years ago died and he is avenging him. Something along those lines

Yep, this is true. It's been confirmed that Baal in D2 was defeated by a group of heroes, one from each of the classes.

03/13/2014 01:09 PMPosted by Kveer
The easiest answer is a group of Nephalem heroes slew Diablo, each representing a different class in game, and all of which will likely be left up to personal interpretation as to which class was which gender.

Now, one of these heroes might have scored the Final Blow, and therefore be referred to as the singular slayer of the Prime Evil, but every class was there and all were fighting (4 person limit game mechanics be ignored).

I'm not sure the "final blow" matters that much. If they defeated him/her/it as a team, they all would get credit.
Reply Quote
57 Blood Elf Mage
I imagine this answer will remain rather vague and open-ended until Blizzard is completely finished with this game and any plans for an expansion. That way they can include any future classes from future expansions.
Reply Quote
03/13/2014 03:17 PMPosted by Thunderclaww
I'm not sure the "final blow" matters that much. If they defeated him/her/it as a team, they all would get credit.

I agree. You mentioned that it was difficult to tell if the Nephalem being referred to was one hero, or a group of many.

I'm saying that both could be equally true, with the only real difference being how much the story teller values individual heroics to a concerted group effort.

I still think it was a group of six (unless we get another class). Everything I've seen so far looks to include the Crusader in with the initial group of playable classes to have come across New Tristram at the start of the game.

However, that does not mean that in a year from now, we wont get a book saying five Nephalem slew the Prime Evil, and on the way to getting drinks in Westmarch, picked up a new buddy who then helped them stop Malthael.
Edited by Kveer#1526 on 3/18/2014 6:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Personally I don't like the idea of the Nephalem hero taking out the Prime Evil through sheer power alone, it would be better if Diablo was significantly weakened by Leah's struggling soul at a critical moment that enabled the Nephalem to land the death blow on him.
Reply Quote
just like how you found out who did what in diablo 2 when they released d3, u will find out who did what when they make diablo 4
Edited by Frost#1657 on 3/19/2014 11:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hmmmm ... Tyreal says "Go find the Nephalem!" at the end of the RoS cinematic.

.... It's awfully convenient that "Nephalem" is both singular and plural ..... ;-)

Lord Dreadman
Reply Quote
03/18/2014 08:51 AMPosted by SirDerp
Personally I don't like the idea of the Nephalem hero taking out the Prime Evil through sheer power alone, it would be better if Diablo was significantly weakened by Leah's struggling soul at a critical moment that enabled the Nephalem to land the death blow on him.

Knowing Blizzard Diablo died on purpose again, so he can enact a new, moar bettar master-plan involving soulstone shenanigans. You never REALLY beat him in any of the games, it was all part of his plan, honest! /facepalm
Reply Quote
As everyone else has said: the Nephalem

It's kind of a copout but I kind of think it works. Here's why:

I've always read "the Nephalem" as being the Santuary version of "Superman" -- one of a kind, exceptionally powerful unstoppable person who is vastly more powerful than the rest of humanity. All classes share this trait and are treated as such by the story. The class distinctions are, essentially, the arbitrary details combined with how your player character grew up and therefore harnessed those superpowers.

I think it works because it allows it to be open ended enough that we the player can all perceive the game's hero as we would like it, but it's closed enough that each class shares the fact that they are essentially Superman to provide a common title for the hero of the story.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]