Diablo® III

Any items still worth getting before ROS?

With blizzard announcing no legacy enchanting does that mean no items will hold up to the 70's?

Soj's

2 piece nats

ef's and wkl's

can any of the above mentioned items hold value and I don't just mean for the first couple weeks of play. Are they worth a investment now in terms of holding them long term? cc on items is getting a nerf , skill specific reductions aren't available like they were on soj and aps and elemental damage aren't affixes in ros.
Reply Quote
A solid MP10 level character of course is very useful at first. The better you're geared the longer you might find the old stuff useful. In the end we have an xpac and a much different system of loot coming our way so none of the current gear will retain any significant value for long. The only possible "long term" items I can see is a stat stick offhand. Maybe a perfectly rolled crit Mempo, maybe. Overall I'd say let go of the old and embrace the new loot hunt.
Reply Quote
Might ZDS gear be viable in the future as well?

All those 9% IAS gear where you really don't care about main stats. I imagine that Sockets on weapons will scale so that LoH isn't negligible.

Is it possible that some legacy gear will still be BiS for ZDS style Monks? I'm assuming that the who zero-DPS / buffing / stunning thing will still be relatively viable. (Eventually, even Blizzard has to realize what a turd the new Guiding Light is and turn it into something usable)
Reply Quote
02/12/2014 02:33 PMPosted by Demiwraith
Might ZDS gear be viable in the future as well?

It might remain useful for awhile. I feel with gear being limited to the current rolls available to us on vit, res, and LoH that T6 will eat up eHP faster than it can be regained and I also am guessing that things will be tuned towards T6 being the difficulty to farm. I could be wrong on this. If any one has run ZDS with non-enchanted current gear on a lv70 character at T6 difficulty could enlighten us on this that would be cool :)
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Gear that has a chance to retain value --
SoJ's of all skill types
Socket Sledge Fist
~100% CHD Socket EF

That's about it.

SoJ's can retain value because 6% ele dmg is good, 30% elite dmg is on-par with lvl70 SoJ's, 2.3 spir/sec is low but serviceable and the skill bonuses scale really well.

Socket Sledge Fist works because zDPS is still a big deal for groups and Sledge has the unbeatable +APS mod on it. Bonesaber gets replaced by quite a few legendary affixes so it probably can't retain value.

100% CHD Socket EF's, despite having terrible DPS, can still be used as BiS off-hand Cookie-Bells weapons. They give all the benefit of a good stat-stick and Bells are mainhand only allowing you to skimp out on the DPS statline.

Legacy Nat's actually can't compete even with rerolls ... so there is no chance without them.

DISCLAIMER -- Because we are working in a Beta environment, any recommendations I make should be taken as theory only and may be majorly different based on unreleased changes to the game.

02/12/2014 02:42 PMPosted by Relentless
I could be wrong on this. If any one has run ZDS with non-enchanted current gear on a lv70 character at T6 difficulty could enlighten us on this that would be cool :)

The only legacy item I use for zDPS is Sledge because DPS doesn't matter and +APS + STUN +Socket is as good as it gets.

I mainhand Fist of Az so my EP's do insane damage ... pick your poison though. I have terrible zDPS gear and I can zDPS tank T5 and 6.
Edited by Druin#1518 on 2/12/2014 3:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
:) Thanks for the input Druin!

With Druin's Beta access and his meticulous testing habits I'd say his list is probably the list for items with a future for monks.

02/12/2014 03:07 PMPosted by Druin
Gear that has a chance to retain value --
SoJ's of all skill types
Socket Sledge Fist
~100% CHD Socket EF
Reply Quote
Hard to beat an CD OS EF offhand for CS and WOL dmg (these skills only check mainhand dmg).

02/12/2014 02:33 PMPosted by Demiwraith
Is it possible that some legacy gear will still be BiS for ZDS style Monks?

You betcha. A lot, actually, if you grab the stuff that scales (9IAS, 10CC, OS, 12% life). I've purchased a lot of upgrades recently, including a 9/6/12 mempo (they're down to almost 1b now and still dropping i think) and a 9/6/12/OS nat ring (not cheap, omg).

I think I have 8-10 sockets on the main set i'm taking to ROS (I now have several sets >.<). That's a lot of customizable vit or all res.

I run about 4.0/3.8 APS on PTR. Max MH APS is over 4.5 with max IAS gear and Transgression. (Now imagine spamming Eye of the Storm with its speed coefficient. It looks like a lightbulb with what is probably 6-7 activations per second)

In the event that powerful on-hit or on-proc effects are ever added to the game, a speedy set of legacy gear would be a nice thing to have access too, IMO. Whoa-my-god, if they had kept Crushing Blow Version 1.0...
Edited by Vox#1186 on 2/12/2014 4:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
I dunno Vox.

CHC is almost not needed in RoS and will go completely away for zDPS when you get the ring that adds 50%+ to generator spirit production.

I can't see legacy mempo beating RoS mempo which can have up to 6% IAS plus ~750 vit.

I definitely don't think Nat's will make it for the same reason ... you can simply get the spirit gen ring then drop crit completely, use concussion or breaking wave and open up a TON of defensive stats.

Anyways ... be careful with those! :D
Reply Quote
02/12/2014 04:16 PMPosted by Druin
CHC is almost not needed in RoS and will go completely away for zDPS when you get the ring that adds 50%+ to generator spirit production.

I'm of the same opinion. Buffs to generator spirit gain and nerfs to the CC generators are huge. At max (75), CC is going to grant something like 15-20% additional spirit vs single targets. That's just not worth 12 primary affixes (or however many it is), plus paragon points. Just run Breaking Wave or Keen Eye or Blazing Fists, or whatever has max proc/speed coefficient, take 12 primary affixes and be done with it.

The alternative view is that 1) Vs. 5+ targets it's more like 100% more spirit gain, 2) it's presumably multiplicative with the 50% gen ring, assuming not nerfed and not too rare, 3) stun bells, stun bells, and more stun bells, 4) more spirit gen means more LPSS sustain, palms between bells, etc.

I buried the stun bells in there, but they are, um... Words fail me ^_^

EDIT: I should add that I personally think the 50% resource regen buff on one slot is unlikely to make it to live. That's a bit strong at 50%!
Edited by Vox#1186 on 2/12/2014 4:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
I forgot about stun bells.

Ignore my claims about CHC not being worth it entirely.

CHC mempo gooooooooooooooooooo!

Stun bells are so getting nerfed :P
Reply Quote
I have a variety of %-ish items with 7 pickup radius. I can't stand to play without at least 6 pur, so figured I may just take the stat hit and use at least one legacy item... Especially if we end up picking up crafting mats with our feet.

02/12/2014 05:16 PMPosted by Druin
Ignore my claims about CHC not being worth it entirely.

Crippling Wave: Rising Tide's on-crit bonus spirit was only reduced from 5 to 4, so it isn't too terrible a gain still.

02/12/2014 04:52 PMPosted by Vox
I should add that I personally think the 50% resource regen buff on one slot is unlikely to make it to live. That's a bit strong at 50%!

Au contraire ma voix - http://imgur.com/4cJddjW
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the input guys!
Reply Quote
Au contraire ma voix - http://imgur.com/4cJddjW

The Band of Rue Chambers I'm currently wearing is 75% more spirit. It feels very strong, but not brokenly so.
Reply Quote
02/13/2014 10:57 PMPosted by overg
75% more spirit

Holy smokes.

I'm not sure how that isn't OP. It's like 75% more sustain from LPSS and 75% more DPS in one affix?

Where are the tradeoffs and choices and interesting interactions?

02/13/2014 10:57 PMPosted by overg
It feels very strong, but not brokenly so.

Kind of like infinite resource would make one feel? This ring is completely mandatory for every monk (notable exception: 2H no-gen). Expecting 'adjustment' but one never knows ^_^
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
02/14/2014 11:00 AMPosted by Vox
Kind of like infinite resource would make one feel? This ring is completely mandatory for every monk (notable exception: 2H no-gen). Expecting 'adjustment' but one never knows ^_^

I am inclined to agree with you ... but no need to jump to conclusions yet. There are a lot of alternate sources of spirit that the ring has no effect on and there are also plenty of specs that don't have enough ways to SPEND spirit.

Plus LPSS is not exactly a viable form of main-sustain atm. It's cute and I use it with some specs but LoH / LPS from paragon are the bread and the butter right now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]