Diablo® III

[Review] - Monk RoS Patch Notes v.2.0.0.21962

MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Patch Notes
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/12891942/new-patch-for-201-ptr-and-closed-beta-now-available-2-12-2014

Nice Formatting
http://bannedofgamers.com/index.php?threads/review-monk-ros-patch-notes-v-2-0-0-21962.484/

Important points for monks
There were only a couple of changes this time --

Deadly Reach
Increased base skill damage to 109%
Increased third hit knock up chance to 50%
Skill Rune - Scattered Blows
Increased damage to 156%

This is a good thing. It's by no means substantial but the allocation is really good.

DR is already moving toward a position of being "core" because the new Foresight requires actually using DR (what?!?!) and it is now our highest APS generator.

The viable runes as it stands appear to be Strike from Beyond for spirit generation (though it's quite a bit worse than Rising Tide), Keen Eye due to the massive eHP buff it gives and Foresight because Deeps!

The knockup on the third hit is actually very "skill intensive" and allows for some cute gameplay tactics so increasing it's %proc will do wonders for DR's bid to be the top-dog spirit generator.

Scattered blows might actually take the crown as the single best "cookie-cutter" spirit generator as it has a lighting component for you lighting junkies and has a fairly good Proc C/second and a very good DPS/second... seeing it's damage increased a little is nothing but gravy.

Sweeping Wind
Increased base skill damage to 30%
Skill Rune - Cyclone
Reduced Cyclone damage to 23%

This is a much needed Change.

SW-C is currently overtuned relative to its compatriots who are undertuned relative to other skills. A tweak like this is exactly what the doctor ordered to get them all back into line.

I am not sure if the amount is enough to make Cyclone drop from "the best damage by a mile" or to make something like Bladestorm move into "viable over other skills" ... but it's the right direction.

Inner Sanctuary
Increased base skill duration to 6 seconds
Skill Rune - Sanctified Ground
Increased duration to 8 seconds

This buff is a LOT bigger than you might think.

Currently, Inner Sanctuary - Forbidden Palace is right on the edge of being amazing. It hasn't quite crossed that line because people are still scared to lose paper DPS in favor of CDR and it doesn't "carry with you" so you have to play more tactically to use it compared to a flat +%dmg buff.

Increasing its duration by 6/5 = 20% is just what this skill wanted to have happen.

If you can get to ~50% CDR (viable but tough) you are looking at a solid 60% uptime of near-invincibility and MASSIVE 35% damage increase for a total DPS increase of 21%. That's more than Overawe offers now!

Like I said ... it doesn't come with you so it's not the same ... but I am really excited to see this!

The other Sanc runes do not feel competitive to me at this time ... but I haven't fully explored them yet! :D

There is also a Spirit Stone (if I recall correctly) that adds 10 spir/sec as long as you are standing in Inner Sanc ... this buff would be a solid 20% increase in efficiency for that legendary as well which I assume will be used in conjunction with Forbidden Palace for some serious hurt.

I don't have a build in mind for this setup yet ... but I imagine it goes well with my current TR suit ...

Epiphany
All Runes
Reduced cooldown to 60 seconds
Reduced Spirit Regeneration per Second to 20

Oops! I somehow missed this one which is CRAZY because it's the biggest buff monks have received in RoS so far!

Epiphany is an outstanding skill. It has a bunch of weird effects all lumped together (teleporting on your skills, spir/sec and X depending on rune) but it does one thing that we ALL have wanted since the dawn of Wrath of the Berserker ... it makes you immune to Crowd Control.

I can't stress how good this is. Being immune to CC in RoS is a godsend and at 60s CD, Epiph can now be used for almost every elite fight if you have enough CDR.

I am rocking 36.7% CDR via Diamond in helm + Beacon + Paragon and it's amazing.

Three of the runes seem worth it to me ... -50% damage taken is pretty strait forward ... +giant heals when you use a skill is similar to the -dmg taken but better for groups (heals them too) and better for monks with low sources of healing normally ...

Then we have Inner Fire ... the damage ... it's so intense. It procs when you do stuff so things like Tempest Rush proc is REALLY quickly and it has amazing range and does amazing damage.

This is a must-try skill and may be a must-use skill in the future.

If any of the changes from this patch don't make it to live, I would bet cold hard cash that this is the one.

That's all for today!
Edited by Druin#1518 on 2/14/2014 9:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
1) DR's knock-up doesn't work on elites as far as I can tell so buffing it to 50% from 10% is kind of meh.

2) Staff of Kryo still has +50% DR damage.. http://i.imgur.com/gDp3rRo.png

3) The Mind's Eye I goes up to 15/20 spirit while in Inner Sanc - http://i.imgur.com/BuW3YJo.png

Yay SW!
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
1. It would be incredibly broken if it worked on elites and I am glad it doesn't.

2. I do not think it will be viable but I got one last night so I will definitely be trying it.

3. Excellent. That is even more viable than I previously though!

Yay SW! :D
Reply Quote
If you had anything that snapshotted before, might want to do a quick check again to see if its still in place.

Wizards had our channeling skills buffed, but then Arcane Dynamo passive absolutely gutted.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
02/13/2014 11:39 AMPosted by BDF
If you had anything that snapshotted before, might want to do a quick check again to see if its still in place.

Wizards had our channeling skills buffed, but then Arcane Dynamo passive absolutely gutted.

Blah! I didn't test Mythic Rhythm but I was using it all last night to great effect. I just assumed it was working.

I will test this when I have a chance.
Reply Quote
Druin, thanks for this analysis. I love seeing your thoughts!!!

02/13/2014 11:31 AMPosted by Davlok
1) DR's knock-up doesn't work on elites as far as I can tell so buffing it to 50% from 10% is kind of meh.

02/13/2014 11:39 AMPosted by Druin
1. It would be incredibly broken if it worked on elites and I am glad it doesn't.

I will confirm it doesn't work on elites. It also doesn't work on white elite minions that come with yellow elites. It also doesn't work on players during "Brawling."

Honestly, I'm very unimpressed with the knock-up. Druin, can you elaborate on this:

02/13/2014 11:11 AMPosted by Druin
The knockup on the third hit is actually very "skill intensive" and allows for some cute gameplay tactics so increasing it's %proc will do wonders for DR's bid to be the top-dog spirit generator.

How is it skill intensive? It seems hard to call it that when the knock-up is still such an infrequent event?

I am not enamored with the flavor/logic of the knock-up, either. Why would Deadly Reach cause monsters to shoot up into the sky? Physics, where art, thou.

---
Regarding Inner Sanc... I'm loving it.

I love Intervene for what is effectively a 4th Dashing Strike Charge (Intervene actually goes LONGER distances, but can't go through objects like DS).

Forbidden Palace is the shiz. There are going to be some pretty powerful CDR 2H monks I imagine.

If you can get to ~50% CDR (viable but tough)

Not too tough when you start at ~35% with BOY, Paragon, Helm Diamond. Grabbing CDR on shoulders is easy enough. Then you need it on just two more slots to reach ~50%. Speaking of which... Has anyone figured out theoretical CDR max yet?
Reply Quote
02/13/2014 11:43 AMPosted by Druin
02/13/2014 11:39 AMPosted by BDF

Blah! I didn't test Mythic Rhythm but I was using it all last night to great effect. I just assumed it was working.

I will test this when I have a chance.

[/quote]

Was going to suggest the same thing!
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Honestly, I'm very unimpressed with the knock-up. Druin, can you elaborate on this:

How is it skill intensive? It seems hard to call it that when the knock-up is still such an infrequent event?

I am not enamored with the flavor/logic of the knock-up, either. Why would Deadly Reach cause monsters to shoot up into the sky? Physics, where art, thou.

Totally!

The knock-up is a "free" form of CC and it is both repeatable and doesn't suffer reductions based on other CC types. This makes it marginally more powerful than just having +% chance to stun on a weapon or something.

It is tactical because DR is a line-nuke and many of the better monk skills now require specific alignments of monsters to work properly.

The best example BY FAR is a GNK LTK monk. LTK-SFK is already a line-nuke and GNK is an even smaller line-nuke.

You want to get that foresight buff up before spamming LTK anyways and I am really used to orb-walking because of VotA runs ... so I orb-walk my DR until they are almost in a line, hit with third hit, proc knockup (ideally) move a tiny fraction to get that perfect line, then get max AoE potential out of LTK.

The GNK+LTK build's main weakness is its inability to kill trash effectively so this small bonus is quite nice.

Additionally, while trash mobs aren't the hardest part of the game, they are a part and the knockup will help you kite when needed, will stop big mobs from ruining your day with long-powerful attacks (hammer guys in Act1/2) and, if you are kiting backward, the front mobs will be knocked up, the back mobs will catch up and they will be in a tighter group.

All in all, it's just a nice additive that I found to be a relief when I saw it proc ... like "yes! they are airborn, time to lay down the law" or "whew now I have a chance to get my globe back to full" ... stuff like that.

50% is a LOT ... like enough to make it reliable ... so incorporating it into your playstyle will be part and parcel with being a good DR monk.
Reply Quote
02/13/2014 12:18 PMPosted by Vox
Honestly, I'm very unimpressed with the knock-up.

I'd rather have a 10% that worked on elites myself.

02/13/2014 12:18 PMPosted by Vox
Not too tough when you start at ~35% with BOY, Paragon, Helm Diamond. Grabbing CDR on shoulders is easy enough. Then you need it on just two more slots to reach ~50%. Speaking of which... Has anyone figured out theoretical CDR max yet?

I am not confident in the max rolls for any of these, or know which legendaries can roll CDR out-of-slot.. or even set bonuses with CDR but from my napkin math the baseline CDR cap is ~67.5%

Slots
Ytar: 20%, Paragon 10%, F.R.Diamond 12.5%, Amulet 9%, Ring x2 9%, Shoulder 8%, Gloves 8%, Weapon x2 10%
Reply Quote
It hasn't quite crossed that line because people are still scared to lose paper DPS in favor of CDR and it doesn't "carry with you" so you have to play more tactically to use it compared to a flat +%dmg buff.

Yep:
Epiphany
Reduced cooldown to 60 seconds
Reduced Spirit Regeneration per Second to 20

You forgot this, and I consider this a huge buff. If you are able to get ~50% CD-reduce epiphany seems to really get viable.

Hope they won't raise the CD anymore...If they nerf it I hope they nerf the spiritreg...
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
02/13/2014 12:46 PMPosted by Volun
You forgot this, and I consider this a huge buff. If you are able to get ~50% CD-reduce epiphany seems to really get viable.

Hope they won't raise the CD anymore...If they nerf it I hope they nerf the spiritreg...

Why are the patch notes split into two patch notes ... lol I assumed that wasn't the same patch and was an old one or something.

I will update my OP's as that is pretty much the biggest buff so far in all of RoS ><
Reply Quote
02/13/2014 01:09 PMPosted by Druin
Why are the patch notes split into two patch notes ... lol I assumed that wasn't the same patch and was an old one or something.

Its the same thread: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/12891942/new-patch-for-201-ptr-and-closed-beta-now-available-2-12-2014

You just have to scroll down ^^
Reply Quote
What did epiphany used to be?
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
OP is now updated with Epiph review! Best Skill USA 2014!

02/13/2014 02:05 PMPosted by Amiar
What did epiphany used to be?

90s CD 35spir/sec
Reply Quote

PTR vs. Beta patch notes. PTR is for the game as a whole, while Beta are the changes to the RoS exclusive content. Epiphany, being a Beta-only skill, thus got segregated down to the bottom.

Oops! I somehow missed this one which is CRAZY because it's the biggest nerf monks have received in RoS so far!

The tone of your post makes it pretty clear, but because you're one of the few who (rightfully) actually approve of the occasional nerf, I'll just check to make sure you meant to say the epiphany change is an overall buff to the class. That would certainly be my experience, as the loss of spirit regen is more than made up for by the reduced cooldown.

Then we have Inner Fire ... the damage ... it's so intense. It procs when you do stuff so things like Tempest Rush proc is REALLY quickly and it has amazing range and does amazing damage.

You forgot the most important part. It *looks* awesome, using a mini-SSS animation (same goes for dashing strike, barrage).
Reply Quote
Breath of Heaven - Blazing Wrath

Is this buff only lasting 10 seconds down from 45 for other people too?
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
02/13/2014 04:00 PMPosted by overg
The tone of your post makes it pretty clear, but because you're one of the few who (rightfully) actually approve of the occasional nerf, I'll just check to make sure you meant to say the epiphany change is an overall buff to the class. That would certainly be my experience, as the loss of spirit regen is more than made up for by the reduced cooldown.

Haha! Mistakes everywhere! This is what I get for doing my work hastily.

Yes, I meant to use the word "buff" as it is a major buff. The spir/sec hit is substantial but 35/s was so much that even losing 15 doesn't feel all that bad.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]