Diablo® III

Mac OS X 10.6 Support Information

(Sticky)

Support Forum Agent
Back in April, with the impending release of the 1.0.8 patch, we announced that Mac OS X 10.6 will no longer be supported, and recommended upgrading to at least OS X 10.7.5. We hope you have had a chance to upgrade, as our support for OS X 10.6 will officially drop in the upcoming 2.0.1 patch and Reaper of Souls. Apple has made an upgrade much easier by releasing OS X 10.9 Mavericks for free.

Mac OS X 10.7 and Mac OS X 10.8 will continue to be fully supported, as explained in our Mac OS Support policy.

For more Mac-related information and help, please visit our support site.
Edited by Velnrak on 7/29/2014 9:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Dankorii, you might want to have a conversation with the other SFAs regarding the 10.7 situation. WoW has just put it on Life Support status. I expect Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 will be following suit in each respective game's next major patch, which in the case of Diablo 3 would be very soon.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
Apple has released its newest operating system totally free of charge to any current mac user with a current copy of any OS supporting hardware. Maverick or OS-X as it's referred to is free and runs smoothly on any computer that can run D3. There shouldn't even be a thread concerning his issue.

To update to the most recent/ free Apple OS simply goto App Store on your computer and click on the link in the upper right corner to upgrade to Maverick.
Reply Quote
That is not true. My MacPro1,1 runs D3 great, but can not be upgraded past 10.7.

OSX 10.7 was clearly one of the worst releases Apple did, my MacPro can't stay up past 36h while running 10.7 without a reboot. While 10.6 runs perfectly, but now I'm locked out of running D3 at all. :-( Or I put up with a computer that I have to constantly reboot to have it work at all.

(And while I know there are hacks to run 10.9 on a MacPro1,1, they are just that, hacks, with many missing features that I depend on). Here you can run 10.9 if only you don't do this, that, or this.
Heaven help you if you need a security fix, because you'll be running different code bundles frankenstine kernel setup stretching back to developer preview releases.
Reply Quote
Would that I could take Mavericks for free. Regrettably, it cripples the Final Cut Pro 7 on which I make my living (have to interface with a team also using 7...not my call). And, nearly bankrupt, I had to pay for the upgrade to 10.7 just to get Diablo III to boot after the warning-free patch Tuesday morning. That broke my Office, which cost me another $140 I didn't have in order to finish the writing job I was in the middle of.

Meanwhile, the AH, along with 15M in trades (mostly sets and legs that I'm sure are now BoA and not receivable), is not accessible. I'm missing the last 3 weeks of AH trading that I thought I had, and millions in gold I spend precious hours of free time farming. 10.7 and my new Office suite are at least working for now. Crafting materials that I carefully farmed to sell are now all generic. Achievements I spent hours trying to get no longer exist. And who knows what else I haven't caught yet.

I do hope I don't have to do this again in 6 months over a patch for the expansion that I can't even afford to buy.

I just want my damn game back, thank you.
Reply Quote
will OS x maverick be supported by the expansion?
Reply Quote
I have Mavericks and my game is crashing almost every 30 mins.. Any suggestions?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
02/28/2014 08:29 PMPosted by Ghost
Would that I could take Mavericks for free. Regrettably, it cripples the Final Cut Pro 7 on which I make my living (have to interface with a team also using 7...not my call). And, nearly bankrupt, I had to pay for the upgrade to 10.7 just to get Diablo III to boot after the warning-free patch Tuesday morning. That broke my Office, which cost me another $140 I didn't have in order to finish the writing job I was in the middle of.

Meanwhile, the AH, along with 15M in trades (mostly sets and legs that I'm sure are now BoA and not receivable), is not accessible. I'm missing the last 3 weeks of AH trading that I thought I had, and millions in gold I spend precious hours of free time farming. 10.7 and my new Office suite are at least working for now. Crafting materials that I carefully farmed to sell are now all generic. Achievements I spent hours trying to get no longer exist. And who knows what else I haven't caught yet.

I do hope I don't have to do this again in 6 months over a patch for the expansion that I can't even afford to buy.

I just want my damn game back, thank you.

If you have room on your drive, you can dual boot. Keep SL on one partition and boot to Lion/ML/Mavericks on another partition. This will allow you to play Blizzard games without losing support for your current workflow.
Reply Quote
Hi, im MacBook Air user. my Mac version is 10.7.5 and i have updating to version 2.02.22274.
i have click to the blue icon and small message pop out just like this

"You can't open the application Diablo III because it is not supported on this type of Mac"

and i have click to Diablo III launcher, it has come out Battle.net windows. I click at PLAY button and some message pop out. Its says

"Something went wrong trying to launch a program. We're not sure what caused it, so please try again or click the code below for more information. Sorry about that!

More help: BLZNTAGT00000843

Please look in to this and I want Blizzard know about this, I bought this game for me to play it, not to watch and wait for upgrading and at the end crush.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
02/28/2014 08:29 PMPosted by Ghost

As has been mentioned, you could partition your drive to run different versions of MacOS. You could also install a second drive, even in laptops (by getting an adapter to install a hard drive in place of the CD). Another option is VMWare Fusion to run the older OS in a VM.

If your living depends on your computer, you need to be aware of the options and have the ability to set them up. If something happened to your machine and you needed a new one, it would come with 10.9 and you may not have the ability to backdate to 10.6. Are you willing to be restricted to scrounging eBay for 5 year old machines? Better make sure you have spares, old computers can and do fail, there are a lot of parts with relatively limited lifespans, and by the time you have your working old computer plus spares to prevent losing days of work time when something fails, you might as well have a new machine with Applecare warranty.

It may sound like I'm saying money grows on trees, but I know it doesn't. However, the reality is for those of us that make our living on a computer, we have among the lowest tooling costs of any profession, and in addition we get to use our work tool for personal use such as playing games. Auto mechanics need $5k+ in tools (even those that work in someone else's garage). Plumbers, electricians, handymen, etc need a couple thousand in tools plus a truck/van to haul tools and materials. My father worked in construction, and even he had to spend at least $1000/yr on work tools (hand tools only) and clothing, with the company provided the bigger or more expensive tools.
Edited by jim#1104 on 3/11/2014 9:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
02/26/2014 07:23 AMPosted by Rooargh
That is not true. My MacPro1,1 runs D3 great, but can not be upgraded past 10.7.

OSX 10.7 was clearly one of the worst releases Apple did, my MacPro can't stay up past 36h while running 10.7 without a reboot. While 10.6 runs perfectly, but now I'm locked out of running D3 at all. :-( Or I put up with a computer that I have to constantly reboot to have it work at all.

(And while I know there are hacks to run 10.9 on a MacPro1,1, they are just that, hacks, with many missing features that I depend on). Here you can run 10.9 if only you don't do this, that, or this.
Heaven help you if you need a security fix, because you'll be running different code bundles frankenstine kernel setup stretching back to developer preview releases.

My client has a Mac Pro that ran 10.7 for production large graphics generation for more than a year, and is now being run as a workstation (also with 10.7) where its tasks include photoshop batching of thousands of images over a couple days. It is very stable and does not require restarts. You may have a hardware problem of some sort, disk corruption, etc.

Also, from some research I did this winter on upgrading to Mavericks, while it is officially unsupported by Apple, the community support appears to be pretty good and not crippled, although it looks like there are steps you have to follow for every system update.

http://retrocosm.net/2014/01/04/mac-pro-11-and-mavericks/
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18599135&postcount=388
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18357265&postcount=664

I did not upgrade my client's machine because it wasn't necessary, and therefore not worth the risk to a workstation that needs to be used every day by non-technical people. However, if I had a Mac Pro 1,1 of my own, I would be running Mavericks on it.
Reply Quote
87 Pandaren Shaman
Hey just thought i would ask, i keep getting disconnected from the server on my mac. Every time i try to join a game the error msg saying "You have been disconnected from the server" pops up, and then it automatically exits the game and brings me to the Battle.Net loader app thing. This also happens a lot when i try to go into game setting, for graphics and what not. It happens when i change characters, and it happens when i just let it sit there. I can get into games sometimes and be logged in for hours. I dunno wtf to do. Please help me!
Reply Quote
i don't understand the logic here

i bought a game which supports os x 10.6
how come, two years later, the game is not working and it's the customer's problem even the same machine works absolutely fine?

you should sell your game as a rental in the future
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
This is an Apple issue, not a Blizzard issue. Blizzard cannot support an OS that no longer receives updates. Both 10.6 and 10.7 will receive no more updates for the components the game requires to run. In fact 10.8 will not receive any updates other than security updates either, and is currently the minimum suggested OS to use when playing the game. 10.7.5 will run OK, but will not be considered where bugfixes on Blizzard's part are concerned. Their smallish Mac team can't afford to continue to spend resources/time on operating systems that get no updates.

Blame Apple's yearly dropping of OSes for this mess, not Blizzard.
Reply Quote
hello. well as i have just discovered that my computer needs this update. and when i go check for new software it says that 10.6.8 is the latest copy. so i cannot play this game as i have an older mac and this game is no longer supported. i find this a complete loud of crap as when i was playing on the old Diablo 3 it was fine. now i cant even load it. i am fully disappointed that you would change the running software. now i cant play the game and i am utterly sad and disappointed. how could you Blizzard.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
What machine model do you have brandon? It is listed in your System Profiler app (hold option down while selecting it from the Apple menu). You can find the model identifier in the Hardware tab.
This is all becoming a bit confusing. My wife gets a message that says 10.7.5 will no longer be supported, and yet I come here and the Blue post says 10.7.5 will be, it just might not work as well.

What version, exactly, is this game going to stop supporting?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
04/15/2014 06:37 PMPosted by camdozer
This is all becoming a bit confusing. My wife gets a message that says 10.7.5 will no longer be supported, and yet I come here and the Blue post says 10.7.5 will be, it just might not work as well.

What version, exactly, is this game going to stop supporting?

10.7.5 will no longer receive active support from Blizzard. That means that since it is now on "life support" status, Blizzard will not fix any bugs that arise from the use of their games from within 10.7.5 as that OS is no longer receiving graphics driver updates or bugfix updates. This same scenario came about with 10.6.8 when Mountain Lion came out.

You can continue to use Blizzard's games in 10.7.5, but do not expect bugfixes to work around issues with that operating system. Also, once the next operating system version comes out (after Mavericks), 10.7.5 support will be dropped for good and the game will no longer launch under that OS. Thank Apple for its yearly abandoning of its operating systems.
2. Protect the innocent.
3. Uphold the law.
4. Smash, Jay, Smash!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]