Diablo® III

[2.1 Mechanics] Spirit Generators: Quick Ref.

03/05/2014 12:11 AMPosted by YupiWolf
What do you mean by ds generator? Sorry not very up to date on short terms.

It was a typo.. should be DPS!

03/04/2014 04:33 AMPosted by iMind
I know this isn't spirit generators like the original topic but how exactly does the +elemental damage factor in... Is it straight additive damage?

From most accounts, yes.

03/04/2014 05:37 AMPosted by HeavenSent
Hi Davlok, sorry if I may sound stupid as it sound and look misleading to me.

WotHF: Hands of Lightning shouldn't it be a Lightning weapon damage instead of Physical weapon damage or is a bug?

We don't know what their plan is if they want to change it or keep it a physical damage type. I know most monks right now are lightning based with WKL/Thundergod/TF, but I have a feeling soon the Physical monks will grow and petition for it to stay physical because it works better with other mechanics (who knows what we will figure out in RoS!)

@Davlok

FOF out dps HOL by quite a lot.

If that is the case... you should name it something and call it a 'synergy' until it gets nerfed next expansion!

But yes, I did confirm what you tested as well, each of the 7 punches in the 2nd hit is applying the DoT

http://i.imgur.com/zGF3vgT.png (1st strike DoT tick on left 2nd strike DoT tick on right)

That would make FoF the top dps generator by ~27.2%. So 27% damage, 75% more On-Hit proc coefficient, and short dash vs 14% more cycloness makes the choice even easier now!
Reply Quote
Nice guide OP. One question: if you are doing self-found, as I am, you are likely to have low CC (I have 21% now). In which case Spirited Salvo is worth its role until I get to double the CC? Or would FOT or the CC runes still be better?
Reply Quote
Hey Davlok

I think you mistakenly put FOF and HOL's dps ranking. The numbers are right but the names were wrong.

Should be FOF: 100% and HOL 73%
Reply Quote
where did you found all those numbers and what DOT means? ( not trolling, just dont know )

tnx
Reply Quote
03/05/2014 04:45 AMPosted by rahl
Nice guide OP. One question: if you are doing self-found, as I am, you are likely to have low CC (I have 21% now). In which case Spirited Salvo is worth its role until I get to double the CC? Or would FOT or the CC runes still be better?

I made a seperate chart a few posts back that had rankings at various crit levels a few posts back, but here it is:

Spirit Gen Runes - RANKINGS : http://i.imgur.com/3VZijaG.png
Bonus Spirit Gen Rune generation vs Base http://i.imgur.com/kevrfiq.png

As you can see, @ 20% crit, if all you cared about was spirit regen - DR:SfB is still generally better than Spirited Salvo. You'd have to be at 10% crit or lower probably to even consider SS, it's so bad.

03/05/2014 09:52 AMPosted by Neuron

Fix't, thanks :-)

03/05/2014 03:51 PMPosted by Bodra
where did you found all those numbers and what DOT means?

Damage Ove Time - basically in FoF's description the "60% damage over 3 seconds" portion
Reply Quote
Great guide, this info is so important to monks I think it should be sticky.
Reply Quote
03/06/2014 08:51 AMPosted by Palimali
Great guide, this info is so important to monks I think it should be sticky.

Reply Quote
thanks, great reading :)

loving all the changes the gens, really makes trigen builds so much better. doing 3rd strike combo moves is so much easier now.
Reply Quote
Great stuff Davlok! Really appreciate it. Just a few comments on my experience in 2.0 so far. I have been running a combination of spirit gens (Mostly prefering DR SfB because of the massive spirit gen) . One thing I've noticed is that getting off the third hit is not necessarily ideal on any spirit generator.

I am abusing LtK for damage, and have run a mix of Cyclone Strike/LtK builds and swapping Cyclone Strike for Serenity when I can't stay alive. Otherwise I'm using Sweeping Wind with the spirit regen rune again. I would switch to Cyclone procs if I had more spirit regen on weapons/head, but for now.. it seems like the more Spirit Regen the better.

The more I spam LtK, the faster my Transcendence heals me, the more damage I do, so I don't even care how much damage my spirit gen does. I tried WotHF and separate runes for it, but none generate spirit like DR. Fist of Fury does plenty of damage but it does slow down my LtK.

I have noticed that the best combo is 2x spirit generator followed by a LTK is the best combo. That essentially negates a lot of the "on third hit" spirit generators, as I think LtK stun and damage is super vital to survival.

Also, against single targets sometimes I will max up my spirit bar, Activate my Overawe'd mantra and spam LtK until my spirit is gone for burst damage and then build back up.

I keep Serenity around for pure "oh *#%@" moments.

I am wondering if anyone is having any more success with different builds. I have yet to find to be more survivable, but still pump out damage, and keep your health pool full than this build. I swap Cyclone Strike in and out for groups sometimes, but the stun of LTK is much safer than CS.

From my take, you need to build as much spirit as possible and spam the hell out of LtK this patch for Transcendence and for damage/stuns.
Reply Quote
@ Mals

Agreed, the optimal combat sequence is likely just using the first two hits of a SPirit Generator, then using a spender. For WotHF:FoF and HoL, the majority of damage is done on the first two 'strikes' so the only advantage the 3rd hit gives is the larger hit radius it typically hits if mobs are close, but not close enough. (Cyclone strike solves all!)Usually I run with too much attack speed (at least right now) to really want to pay attention for anything other than boss single target fights. But for most generators the 1st two strikes are around 20% 'faster' than the 3rd (the average innate speed is the average between all 3 strikes)
Reply Quote
Just jumped back on after more then a year away. Just what I needed to read to help get up to speed. Thanks!
Reply Quote
@Davlok,

Just to clarify, my desire to have LtK > Cyclone Strike is for solo running. When I jump into public games I can often swap out LtK for Cyclone or remove my bladestorm for cyclone so I can have more control over the battlefield. It does wonders.

I have 2/3 builds I run back and forth with. The statics in those being Serenity, Mantra of Conviction (overawe) and Dashing Strike, quicksilver (best skill in the game).

For soloing, I am running Sweeping Wind + Spirit regen rune. If I had spirit regen on weapons/head I'd be using cyclones.
WotHF: FoF or Deadly Reach: SfB, depends on how much spirit I think I am gaining.
Damage is good and LtK ALL day I'd rather sacrafice all other damage to get more LtK's out as it is the most damage I can do.

For groups I cycle between a more DPS heavy build and a more spirit regen build.
DPS Heavy: WotHF: FoF, Sweeping Wind with cyclone, Cyclone Strike, spam overeawe for transcendence.

Spirit Heavy: DR:SfB, Cyclone Strike, LtK. Spam LtK

I am still debating which way does more damage. It's hard to assess if spamming LtK is better than having sweeping wind up. It really is seemingly the best damage in the game now.

Interestingly I made this build for my entire leveling up of my Monk over a year ago. It was all cyclone strike >> LtK LtK LtK. I think it was great back then.. until I discovered FoT/Cyclones.

I'm glad they made it viable.
Edited by Mals#1825 on 3/8/2014 9:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
Has anyone tested if WotHF turns the direct damage to holy, or if it stays physical? The tooltip says the base punches stay physical, but the tooltip label is Holy-themed.

If the punches remain physical, it would be optimal to run a weapon with Holy damage so that you can run +holy skill damage and have both the DoT and the punches themselves benefit.

EDIT: Did some testing in game. Using a lightning damage weapon, WotHF:FoF would do lightning damage animations.
Edited by Tadrinth#1944 on 3/8/2014 11:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
@ Mals

LTK + CS is great I agree. Wait until you get the LTK helm and shoot fireballs out your head!

@ Tad

I'd wander over to this thread to get elemental weapon/damage questions answered, but general Holy Weapon + Holy Skill should be ideal especially if you use Bells.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11986398637
Reply Quote
03/06/2014 04:23 AMPosted by Davlok
03/05/2014 04:45 AMPosted by rahl

I made a seperate chart a few posts back that had rankings at various crit levels a few posts back, but here it is:

Spirit Gen Runes - RANKINGS : http://i.imgur.com/3VZijaG.png
Bonus Spirit Gen Rune generation vs Base http://i.imgur.com/kevrfiq.png

As you can see, @ 20% crit, if all you cared about was spirit regen - DR:SfB is still generally better than Spirited Salvo. You'd have to be at 10% crit or lower probably to even consider SS, it's so bad.

03/05/2014 09:52 AMPosted by Neuron

Fix't, thanks :-)

03/05/2014 03:51 PMPosted by Bodra
where did you found all those numbers and what DOT means?

Damage Ove Time - basically in FoF's description the "60% damage over 3 seconds" portion

I'm doing some min/max work in HC and I'm constantly starved in Single Target boss fights.. I typically use Mangle becaues of my +%fire. I was thinking of switching to DR+SfB allowing me to generate more spirit and nuke a little harder. What do you think? (this question is open to anyone honestly, I just ask you give a solid/complete answer please :D) Thanks!
Reply Quote
Your posts are outstanding. Thanks for the great work. I keep wondering where you get the numbers from? I don't find anything in the patch notes.

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
03/10/2014 06:57 AMPosted by iMind
I'm doing some min/max work in HC and I'm constantly starved in Single Target boss fights.. I typically use Mangle becaues of my +%fire. I was thinking of switching to DR+SfB allowing me to generate more spirit and nuke a little harder. What do you think? (this question is open to anyone honestly, I just ask you give a solid/complete answer please :D) Thanks!

SfB is one of the best spirit generators we have now for single and multi-target. :-)
03/11/2014 06:52 AMPosted by Gravija
Your posts are outstanding. Thanks for the great work. I keep wondering where you get the numbers from? I don't find anything in the patch notes.

Thanks in advance.

Most of the data was collected on PTR with a few quick confirmations in 2.01 live, I'm sure there are some errors I missed somewhere, but typically mechanics like these are listed in the patch notes or tooltips, which is very annoying.
Reply Quote
Just a quick update. I found one of the http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/won-khim-lau
with +18% lightning damage. I've got that equipped now with:
FoT - Quickening
Sweeping Wind - Cyclone Strike
LtK - Scorpion Sting

All I can say is I now do DEEPS :D It is an incredibly strong build.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]