Diablo® III

[2.1 Mechanics] Spirit Generators: Quick Ref.

Generator Elemental Analysis

Lots of discussion lately with elemental damage and the way it functions with and without +elemental damage affix, so put this post together to semi-analyze the Spirit Spender Elemental affix types and distribution and a short list of elemental bonus affixes to aim for.

As it stands right now, 10 runes are physical , 6 runes are lightning, 2 cold, and 1 fire 1 holy runes. That isn't very balanced and there has been talk of changing Blazing Fists to Fire and Hands of Lightning to Lightning. A Holy/Fire/Cold DR rune would be nice as well.

The good news is the lone Fire & Holy runes are quite good in terms of damage, while most will consider the Cold runes fairly average, almost all the lightning runes being subpar due to FoT nerfs, and physical runes likely the most popular.

As far as ITEMIZATION goes, Lightning gear for Monks is by far the most common and easily available. A 30% spirit stone, 15% belt, and 15% set bonus puts it far in the lead as far as elemental affix stacking goes. Next comes Fire with the popular Magefist/Cindercoat combination also reducing fire skill cost which along with strong Fire spenders makes Lit/Fire the top two options I think. Holy/Cold are tied for 3rd with 2 extra legendaries, though Holy is in front with two weapons and better spenders/generators. The worst from is Physical affix which only benefits from a Doombringer. Standard slots which all elemental affixes can roll are: Bracer/Amulet/Shield/SoJ/Andariel's @ 20% each = +100% base. For each specific element, here is my current list of legendaries:

Physical
Doombringer (20%)

Holy
Skycutter (sword) (20%)

Cold
Frostburn (20%)
Utar's Roar (axe) (20%)
Azurewrath (20%)

Fire:
Magefist (20%)
Cindercoat (20%)
Sankis (axe) (20%)
Devastator (mace) (20%)

Lightning
Eye of the Storm (30%)
Thundergod's Vigor (15%)
WKL (25%)
Odyn Son (20%)
Raiment of a Thousand Storms (15%)

Conclusion:
With a few rune element changes to HoL/BF/DR we could get a much better balance to elemental rune selection, but as it stands right now (3-12-2014) I believe Lightning/Fire/Holy to be all very competitive with the new affix, while Cold lags behind due to runes in both generator and spenders, and Physical mostly due to itemization.

Comments welcome!
Edited by Davlok#1847 on 3/20/2014 2:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I wonder though what specs are based off which elements. I see lightning, holy and physical being the makeup of most builds at the moment.

Andarial's helm can roll elements
Edited by Schmii#1592 on 3/13/2014 8:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My question is about using lightening skills as spirit generators when you have high amounts of lightening gear, i'm at 60% bonus lightening dmg from some lucky drops in the last week. When I look at your sheet just concerning damage it seems that you are saying FoT is garbage unless you are stacking 200% lightening dmg, then it catches up to WotHF. I Was trying out DR:SB and it seems fairly powerful, I don't really track numbers (I do the good old eyeball method of "this monsters health is dropping fast") but I was thinking of going to FoT to take full advantage of the lightening gear. FoT should give me 122% + (122 x 0.6) = 195% base weapon dmg then whatever rune I go off of. I get how the third hit is terrible now being divided up, but with FoT:TC every hit would also do AoE of 95% + (95 x .6) = 152% dmg. Seems to me that will do crazy dmg compared to DR:SB or WotHF.

Maybe I am miss reading your post, I am referring to the section will the break down of proc, crit proc and dmg.
Reply Quote
03/13/2014 08:24 PMPosted by Schmii
I wonder though what specs are based off which elements. I see lightning, holy and physical being the makeup of most builds at the moment.

Andarial's helm can roll elements

Ahh, missed that affix. Hven't been lucky enough to get an andy's yet either. But I can definately see no evil and erlan shenned out.

03/15/2014 07:20 AMPosted by Lunchbox
My question is about using lightening skills as spirit generators when you have high amounts of lightening gear, i'm at 60% bonus lightening dmg from some lucky drops in the last week. When I look at your sheet just concerning damage it seems that you are saying FoT is garbage unless you are stacking 200% lightening dmg, then it catches up to WotHF. I Was trying out DR:SB and it seems fairly powerful, I don't really track numbers (I do the good old eyeball method of "this monsters health is dropping fast") but I was thinking of going to FoT to take full advantage of the lightening gear. FoT should give me 122% + (122 x 0.6) = 195% base weapon dmg then whatever rune I go off of. I get how the third hit is terrible now being divided up, but with FoT:TC every hit would also do AoE of 95% + (95 x .6) = 152% dmg. Seems to me that will do crazy dmg compared to DR:SB or WotHF.

Maybe I am miss reading your post, I am referring to the section will the break down of proc, crit proc and dmg.

Yep, right now if you stack that much Lightning skill damage, you are stuck with FoT unless they recently changed DR: Scattered Blow to 100% lightning (haven't verified) like they changed FoF recently.

But even comparing a +60% boosted TC to get your 152% damage x 3 + 183 = 639% aoe damage and you compare that to an unboosted (+0%) WotHF's: HoL's aoe damage of 192%+429%+192% and you'll probably join the chorus of folks wanting HoL to be lightning for flavor.
Reply Quote
Hey Davlok. I'm a fellow monk and a fairly avid theorycrafter. I would love to get in contact with you and discuss some of your information at length. But aside from that, I was curious which generator you would use for my gear. If you don't look yourself, it's 90% bonus lightning with an additional 23% to SW dmg. Weapons are TF / WKL. I have tried virtually every combination of generators and can't find a suitable choice. I was using FoF for a while and find myself coming back to CW:RT. Any information you have would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Reply Quote
03/16/2014 02:56 AMPosted by Davlok
Yep, right now if you stack that much Lightning skill damage, you are stuck with FoT unless they recently changed DR: Scattered Blow to 100% lightning (haven't verified) like they changed FoF recently.

But even comparing a +60% boosted TC to get your 152% damage x 3 + 183 = 639% aoe damage and you compare that to an unboosted (+0%) WotHF's: HoL's aoe damage of 192%+429%+192% and you'll probably join the chorus of folks wanting HoL to be lightning for flavor.

Is that math correct? with the FoT:TC? 152% x 3 + 183 = 639% isnt the 183 also boosted as it is lightning? making it 183 x 1.6 = 292.8 so its 152 x 3 + 292.8 = 748.8% ? vs 813 HoL aoe.
Edited by Ryu#1646 on 3/19/2014 3:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
are you sure of your Proc coef ?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11914351645
Edited by SuperFrog#2987 on 3/19/2014 3:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/19/2014 03:42 AMPosted by SuperFrog
are you sure of your Proc coef ?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11914351645

Looks pretty similar to me, I guess he took his to 3 places.

03/19/2014 03:34 AMPosted by Ryu
Is that math correct? with the FoT:TC? 152% x 3 + 183 = 639% isnt the 183 also boosted as it is lightning? making it 183 x 1.6 = 292.8 so its 152 x 3 + 292.8 = 748.8% ? vs 813 HoL aoe.

Ooops, you're right the 183% is also boosted. I just think the fact it is the only monk skill whose damage is divided by enemies hit makes it completely lame. -_-

As for generator recommendation, I don't really have a good one for Lightning either. I've given up and use FoF. But I'd give DR:Scattered Blows since at least the 3rd hit is Lightning (and could have been recently converted to 100% lightning - give it a shot. Scattered Blows's 3rd hit is AWESOME for proccing Strongarm bracers I noticed in Cota.
Reply Quote
Going to retry Scattered Blows again. We'll see how it works. I actually hate the knock up. it interferes with my Cyclone strike. Anyway, I sent you a friend request Davlok, hopefully we can discuss this further. Thanks again.
Reply Quote
Scattered Blows does make timing Cyclone Strike pretty annoying if you happen to be on the third attack of DR. I was adjusting my game play to try not to hit DR early while engaging a group, and using MoC: Dishearten to keep things close before continuing to use Scattered Blows to deal damage and regen spirit.
Edited by nataku#1542 on 3/19/2014 9:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm having better results with DR: SFB over SB. even thought its not lightning. Higher # of tornadoes and so much more spirit. but i still hate DR.... want CW to be more viable or WoHF
Reply Quote
The only weapon with holy dmg is Skycutter(Utar's Roar is cold);I've been looking into making a holy build around FoF which is our best skill atm and I think the best options are Skycutter + Lidless or the Hallowed set with the shield's potential 20% holy
Reply Quote
03/19/2014 04:33 AMPosted by Ryu
Going to retry Scattered Blows again. We'll see how it works. I actually hate the knock up. it interferes with my Cyclone strike. Anyway, I sent you a friend request Davlok, hopefully we can discuss this further. Thanks again.

Yea, I just like how it can knock up stuff around you instead of in a straight line in front since my toughness is a bit low for t6. I'm up for discussing anytime :)

03/19/2014 11:38 PMPosted by Renoir
The only weapon with holy dmg is Skycutter(Utar's Roar is cold);I've been looking into making a holy build around FoF which is our best skill atm and I think the best options are Skycutter + Lidless or the Hallowed set with the shield's potential 20% holy

Dang, no DW holy set, though I guess the Hallowed Shield makes some sense though it probably would have been better as a +40% set bonus!
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 03:59 AMPosted by Davlok

Yea, I just like how it can knock up stuff around you instead of in a straight line in front since my toughness is a bit low for t6. I'm up for discussing anytime :)

Well, i sent you another friend request lol. Hopefully we can discuss some things.
Reply Quote
Those DPS numbers aren't taking into consideration the "passive" buffs like Foresight, Blazing Fists' attack speed buff, etc., right?

Speaking of said buffs, if I use Blazing Fists, does the attack speed buff increase my weapon DPS for purposes of damage calculations for skills like Sweeping Wind, Mystic Ally, etc.? And does it affect the damage-per-hit of skills that are also affected by attack speed, i.e. LTK?
Edited by Justice#1397 on 3/20/2014 10:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 09:48 AMPosted by Justice
Those DPS numbers aren't taking into consideration the "passive" buffs like Foresight, Blazing Fists' attack speed buff, etc., right?

Foresight's buff is considered, but Blazing Fists isn't since the 15% ias bonus has different results depending on the weapons used. ( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11882328396?page=2#22 ). But BF is around 10% higher values than others-ish.

Additionally, did some testing with Eye of the Storm & Scattered Blows this morning and fairly confident in saying ALL three hits are now lightning and affected by +lightning damage affix bonus. So For those that don't want to use FoT and have lots of lightning, you have one additional option :-) and if you missed the memo fists of fury is 100% holy.

Once again:
DR: SCATTERED BLOWS IS 100% LIGHTNING!
Edited by Davlok#1847 on 3/21/2014 4:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
OMG this is so helpful. Thank you!
Reply Quote
Great info, thank you VERY much!
Reply Quote
I have done my fair share of testing and as a 90% lightning monk I can say, with some confidence, that even though DR: Scattered Blows is 100% lightning, it still pales in comparison to DR: SfB. Simply due to the fact that DR:SfB has the enormous amount of spirit gen and the high On-Crit proc rate. I personally see a noticeably larger increase in tornadoes with SfB and with the high spirit gen, I'm able to spam LTK. And for my bonus light, LTK is critting a respectable ~7m.
Edited by Ryu#1646 on 3/22/2014 10:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]