Diablo® III

How to Create a Build

Hey Jaetch, Since you seem to be acting within the Blizzard wizard confines as their anonymous spokesperson/ intermediary, endorsed by them and given who-knows-what undisclosed Blizzard perks, I'll ask you: (even though I've noticed that you've never played frost/cold wizard after the X-Pac as far as I am aware,) Why have the Bliz developers decided to stultify those who enjoy playing a CC wiz build? Also, why are the premier sets for wiz so much absolute bunk, that many of us who have accumulated them, don't even use them? And further, why is the wiz mobility skill-set so horrendous...so bad even, that you sometimes have left it out of your builds, even after generally "educating" wizards to do otherwise?

Thank you much for any insight that you might have concerning these matters.
Reply Quote
04/08/2014 09:25 AMPosted by Drognan70
A build, that I have created, is extremely effective in T1-T4. Keep in mind that I have around 40% CH and 400% CD, but most importantly is that I have around 30% resource cost reduction and nearly 8k life on kill.

Blizzard chills enemies, so Cold Blooded Passive works with Blizzard (Snowbound for reduced mana cost) in giving 10% extra Dmg.

Cascade rune on Arcane Torrent helps with crowd control, also gaining the increased DMG from the Blizzard/Cold Blooded synergy.

Slow Time is on my bar with Time Warp, for the increased DMG, but, TBH, I hardly ever use it, unless I am fighting Champions, Treasure G/P/H/S, or Bosses.

Teleport is a must have, for escaping those situations in which you might be taking too much DMG. Fracture is used, so that the duplicates will immediately cast Time Warp and slow chasers down, as well as add a little extra DMG.

Magic Weapon, with Deflection rune, and the Dominance Passive pretty much insure that I can stand in the middle of almost anything and take very little to no DMG.

Energy Armor with Energy Tap, the Astral Presence Passive, resource cost reduction, and Critical Hits grant Arcane Power give me an almost unlimited supply of Arcane Power.

Here's the build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#elgQSO!XWgS!cbbYcb

And here's my equipment, which you will notice is really about 50% Legendary and 50% Rare, so it is pretty easy to come by. Oh yeah, the nemesis bracers are on there for running Rifts in normal. I have different bracers that give me a 27% increase in DMG.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Drognan70-1354/hero/1593486

I hope this helps someone in creating a decent, and very easily obtainable and maintainable, build.

Drog

P.S. The servers are down right now, so I cannot get on to tell you how I have set up my Paragon points. I am P142.

Oh, and I use the Templar Follower.

I tried your build out last night and it was really fun!

I have slightly more CH and slightly less CD but overall about the same. And that was just switching out the skills.... not even optimizing any gear. Cant wait until I get some +cold% gear to add to the damage. I'm also thinking of changing out slow time for meteor or black hole due to the shoulders/boots I found last night. :) LOVE the increased legend find! Might try it and see how squishy i become.

Very fun night last night!!! First time in a long time that I did not die. Thanks for sharing this and the detail you went in to describe what you are using and why.
Edited by kemp707#1979 on 5/30/2014 7:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I am running a fire build, what are my options for that? I see a lot for lightning, etc but nothing for fire.
I use WOW with explosive blast, familiar, magic weapon, wave of force, magic missile. Gear wise i am having no help with drops so I am running the Tal' Rasha at the moment. I do have fire-birds gear, but did hear Blizz was to change that sometime soon. What is the best suggestion for a fire build? what stats should I concentrate on, (ex remove armor for xxxx). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Like I said i'm pretty much just getting by, but I don't want to just get by.

Thank you for any help.
Kel
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
This is what I just put together, curious to try it out...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WcgiSk!dceb!aYYbYZ
Edited by HappyFeet#16701 on 6/3/2014 11:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Awesome info, thanks for the tips :-)
Reply Quote
I figure ill post my build up. Been running it since worm hole was acquired a day after expansion. In short it is a battle mage type build and focuses on: resource cost reduction, skill time reduction, arcane, resist, and of course the wizard mainstay of intelligence. I call it the "blender build", but it might be called "wormhole build". Have not found anything like it yet. This build is very sustainable with good crit chance and mana on crit, if this is not high enough you will see it drain fast with a group of enemies regardless. Also part of the skills help ally damage as well.

**Blender Build** "Looks like mobs are in a blender to me"
spectral blade = barrier blades
teleport = wormhole
diamond skin = diamond shards
disintegrate = entropy
wormhole = super massive
--passives--
Audacity
Cold Blooded
Dominance
Glass Caonon
"Having an item that does fan of knives, diamond skin, and absorb shield will help alot"

Just be aware this is a endurance build. Means it makes your mana last, and have good crit chance with mana on crit. Also this is really good alone up to torment 2. Past this you will see considerable challenge. If you want to see my gear im Acia#1933. Also this is a within 15 yards for most effects to take place. It is possible to play with the different types of beams, but my gear and build at the moment is great close quarters much like my pre expansion meteor build was.
Edited by Acia#1933 on 6/29/2014 3:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I have 6 wizards builds I wanted to share here, maybe some one are looking for some builds with a specific element(I have all spec for all element types) you can use my wizards as a reference

Fire = Mirrorball - Conflag - Meteor - Hydra
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/lyndonguitar-1663/hero/40465849

Arcane = Tals - Vyrs
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/lyndonguitar-1663/hero/47107351

Lightning = Velvet Camaral + Ball of Hate + Wyrdward
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/lyndonguitar-1663/hero/47799668

Cold = Rimeheart + Frostburn + Winter Flurry
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/lyndonguitar-1663/hero/47728105

Fire = WoW + Vyrs
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/lyndonguitar-1663/hero/48607215

Elemental = Disintegrate Elemental Build
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/lyndonguitar-1663/hero/49221642
Edited by lyndonguitar#1663 on 7/13/2014 7:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Read this entire guide, and acknowledge the wealth of information in it, thanks, I'm a newbie to D3 and thoroughly enjoyed reading this.
Reply Quote
Jaetch,

Love the post. Extremely informative and helpful for me.

any advice on my build below?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/14527402744

Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ePNjOS!SbXZ!aYYacb

My items give me just enough resource cost that this build is more than efficient for t6. Meteor shower is the main spender here, but eventually, I still run out of arcane, so by using Arcane torrent with enough AP on critical, it regenerates my arcane really fast, in about 3 seconds, (so long as I hit something) and then I can use shower again.

It's one I find interesting, since I haven't seen many people who did have the occasion to have 0 cost on channeling skills, and arcane torrent here is worth using like a primary because of its higher dmg. It's also really efficient on really tight packs of enemies.
Reply Quote
I've been playing Diablo 3 since it first came out in console. (I wanted to play with others and sadly, my PC at the time was super slow and caused a horrible lag so it wasn't feasible. Yet I HAD to play Diablo so alas, I grabbed a copy for PS3 and then for PS4 when ROS hit for that). I have several characters but primarily play a P200 Barn with av nearly complete set of IK, including the chest piece, mixed with Raekors - all of which I farmed completely on my own. The point is, I've been playing for some time and have a good deal of experience. You'll see why I want to stress that. Moving on, I finally built a new rig and the first thing I did was dl Diablo. As I'd been playing Barb for years, I wanted to try something new. I decided on Wizard - a class I've only dabbled in. With my experience behind me, I felt confident that I had a firm grasp on the reins of "how to play." Well.... Wizard is not Barb, lol. That's the first thing I learned. Second, I realized o just wasnt cutting it. I'm used to playing HC on Torment, but I just wasn't dealing damage or taking hits like a man. So I decided to look up some pointers on playing Wizard. I found this thread. I cannot stress how much this simple layout helped me change not only the way I play, but how I think about playing. (Heres why I made that point...) Regardless of the experience I've had, moving from Barb to WD is an extreme change to say the least! Let's face it - the coolest skills that everyone wants to use in the beginninh are the ones that use source. Now with Barb, I used a whirlwind setup with rend. Both fury spenders, but since rend continually deals damage over time, I loved rending then ww mobs into paste. With the Depth Diggers I found - probably one of my personal fav Barb legendarys, I could double up on rend and then ww - yet even more fury. I would throw in an earthquake here and there for good measure - even MORE fury. But that's the kind of character Barb is. With a bunch of passives,runes, reapers wraps, glass of life, globe drop on critic, etc. I was actualy able to sustain my build. But once I changed to Wizard... You get the idea. Excellent, "back to basics," tutorial that can really help both the beginner and those like myself who've been playing but quickly find they have no clue how to play WD! Lol, I just thought to myself that I probably feel like my Barbarian would if he decided to give spell crafting a try... Anyway, thanks again. Hopefully I'll find some more stuff like this on other characters by you as I get into seasons!
Reply Quote
Good post. I remember being a noob to the wiz... Coming from playing monk, and wd, it was tricky at first to see the synergies in the character. Also, it was hard to find info on any decent build other than firebird set. This post should definitely benefit the noob wizards that read it. If only you had made it a month ago... xD
Reply Quote
11/14/2014 12:48 PMPosted by Joeliam
I've been playing Diablo 3 since it first came out in console. (I wanted to play with others and sadly, my PC at the time was super slow and caused a horrible lag so it wasn't feasible. Yet I HAD to play Diablo so alas, I grabbed a copy for PS3 and then for PS4 when ROS hit for that). I have several characters but primarily play a P200 Barn with av nearly complete set of IK, including the chest piece, mixed with Raekors - all of which I farmed completely on my own. The point is, I've been playing for some time and have a good deal of experience. You'll see why I want to stress that. Moving on, I finally built a new rig and the first thing I did was dl Diablo. As I'd been playing Barb for years, I wanted to try something new. I decided on Wizard - a class I've only dabbled in. With my experience behind me, I felt confident that I had a firm grasp on the reins of "how to play." Well.... Wizard is not Barb, lol. That's the first thing I learned. Second, I realized o just wasnt cutting it. I'm used to playing HC on Torment, but I just wasn't dealing damage or taking hits like a man. So I decided to look up some pointers on playing Wizard. I found this thread. I cannot stress how much this simple layout helped me change not only the way I play, but how I think about playing. (Heres why I made that point...) Regardless of the experience I've had, moving from Barb to WD is an extreme change to say the least! Let's face it - the coolest skills that everyone wants to use in the beginninh are the ones that use source. Now with Barb, I used a whirlwind setup with rend. Both fury spenders, but since rend continually deals damage over time, I loved rending then ww mobs into paste. With the Depth Diggers I found - probably one of my personal fav Barb legendarys, I could double up on rend and then ww - yet even more fury. I would throw in an earthquake here and there for good measure - even MORE fury. But that's the kind of character Barb is. With a bunch of passives,runes, reapers wraps, glass of life, globe drop on critic, etc. I was actualy able to sustain my build. But once I changed to Wizard... You get the idea. Excellent, "back to basics," tutorial that can really help both the beginner and those like myself who've been playing but quickly find they have no clue how to play WD! Lol, I just thought to myself that I probably feel like my Barbarian would if he decided to give spell crafting a try... Anyway, thanks again. Hopefully I'll find some more stuff like this on other characters by you as I get into seasons!

Should have probably built a pc for 800 bucks instead of buying a ps4. Pc all the way man. Console D3=30% of the fun.
Reply Quote
hi!

so normally im a Barb player but my dad started a wizard on my account and last few days ive been trying to lvl it up.

Its currently lvl 35 or so but my question involves Paragon Points.

Ive got 200 odd all up, have spent none of them on the wiz. What im wanting to know is

a) What are the most important things to spend them on?

and

b) should I spend them now or wait til after i hit 70?

thanks!
Reply Quote
View profile
12/07/2014 12:03 AMPosted by dicetosser
a) What are the most important things to spend them on?

Primary: Everything into int; get movement speed from boots until you hit 70 then max movement speed in paragon, everything else into int.
Offense: Everything into CC and CD, whichever combination gives the most DPS.
Defense: Max all resist, rest goes to armor. After level 70, you might get more toughness from armor, so check and see which is better. All resist is usually the right way to go. When you are over 400, spend in regen or life% as you see fit.
Utility: Maxing RCR is the number 1 priority for any build that uses a lot of AP. Don't completely neglect area damage though. You need at least something there, even if it's only 25%. Ideally max both RCR and area as soon as you can.

12/07/2014 12:03 AMPosted by dicetosser
b) should I spend them now or wait til after i hit 70?

Spend them all NOW. You'll level faster because you'll be more powerful. If you want to change something, you can hit that reset button and spend them however you want. It's not like you lose the points or anything. Hold [shift] while assigning points to speed up the respeccing process.
Reply Quote
thanks changbooster. Have done that and will see how i go!
Reply Quote
I *think* I understand this better now, thanks.

I've been using disintegrate and shock pulse, as I've been finding decent gear supporting those abilities (% increases) and one's a channeling and the other a signature. But I can only channel for about 10 seconds before being empty. I've looked through the passives repeatedly, and maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything that recovers arcane from shock pulse.

Is there another channeling skill that would be complimentary to shock pulse?

sorry if I'm too newb - I've been playing this game for all of a week.
Reply Quote
01/07/2015 08:24 AMPosted by VoodooLizard
Is there another channeling skill that would be complimentary to shock pulse?

First question: Did you enable the "Elective Mode" choice in the options-->gameplay menu?

This opens up all of your slots for almost any skill. As for your passive question, you could try the Prodigy passive.

One bit of advice as you get used to how the game plays, focus your gear and skill choices around your spender, and only use a signature spell to help recover arcane power or to fill in the gaps while your arcane power is still regenerating.
Reply Quote
Thanks very much for this post. This will help me and others A LOT! Be sure of that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]