Diablo® III

Mac-Issue: Hard Freeze when entering new game

I know this has probably been mentioned many times but my Mac has been freezing with 2.0. These freezes have required me to manually shut down my Mac, as I can’t even force-quit D3. I'm using a late model 2013 13' Macbook Pro. The freezes have been occurring when attempting to enter a game.

Devs – Please note that I haven’t played Diablo 3 in quite some time, and I’ve thinking about getting the expansion since I heard about 2.0. I decided to try out the new changes with 2.0, but after my experiences with the game the last few days, I’m seriously just thinking of uninstalling the game and passing on the expansion. For casual returning players, facing constant crashes and hard freezes are an extreme turn-off. As someone with a very tight schedule I don’t have time to spend trying to fix the issue on my own.

Thanks, I hope these issues are resolved soon. I’ve been a fan and supporter of D3, but I may have to pass...

Off Topic – I’m really enjoying Hearthstone, keep up the good work Blizz.
Reply Quote
I have the same problem.

Creating or entering a new game has about 20% chance to freeze the client and requires a hard reboot of the computer.

The freezing is exactly the same as the freezing issue when mac users try to click on Auction House.

This happens on my iMac, latest Macbook pro.

I would urge Bliz to pay more attention to the mac users as such serious bug ( i had to restart my computer 5 times last night) severely affect game experience.
Reply Quote
Seems like for me I've been having a 50-80% chance of freezing. For some reason my chances really increase if I'm doing anything on the main screen right after clicking the button to enter a game. It just freezes on the menu screen with the character in the background.
Reply Quote
I had the same issue with my MAC. Followed all the steps that Bliz posted about clearing the cache and even reinstalled twice.

I was able to finally play the game by changing my quest to ACT II, torment. For some strange reason, the game kicks me out for ACT I. I have to try other acts tonight and see what happens.

I really hope this is resolved before RoS launch >.<
Reply Quote
You know if you activate Mission Control (F3) and select Desktop 2. You can force quit the program from there. No need to hard reboot.
Reply Quote
I tried doing that, but I didn't have any luck. Even when I've been able to bring up and select Force-quit the game still isn't quiting.Sometimes I'm able to bring up Mission Control, but I'm unable to bring up any other programs and I'm unable to restart or shutdown my mac without holding down the power button.
Edited by DustyDragon#1271 on 2/28/2014 10:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
I found that windowing helps that crash issue.

Put it back into full screen mode once you are in.

It helped me.
Reply Quote
Any other workaround available ? I've been having the same issue, even in the beta.
Reply Quote
I have the same issue. When i enter or create a new game, D3 freezes and the only thing I can do is force quit the game and open it again.
I have a mid 2013 MacBook Pro, version 10.9.2
The game has about a 70% chance of freezing. This is very inconvenient, please can someone address this issue?
Reply Quote
Happening here as well! I have a Mid 2012 Macbook Pro and it totally locks up. Didn't happen until I tried to access the auction house. BUT NOW! it locks up all the time!! When I log in. If I can log in then changing acts or trying to shut down the program.
I can only force quit if I can get to an option to allow me to, which seems rare on these freezing issues. I've never had a program that could totally freeze my MacBook like this before.
Come on Blizzard! Really starting to get sick of this kind of horrible service you guys provide.
Reply Quote
Update:
I followed some advise on another post and It seems that I can play without freezing after setting the game to Windowed (Fullscreen) I don't think this fixes the AH issue, but at least I can actually get into the game.
Reply Quote
Hard freeze when entering a game, hard freeze when traveling between waypoints...
I tried to do delete the cache and even did a complete reinstall with no luck!
Edited by Flanby#1696 on 2/28/2014 11:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
I am experiencing the same issue - I updated to 2.0 yesterday and haven't been able to play since.
Reinstalled twice, deleted cache, no luck - windowed mode works but it's not optimal.

I'm on a Macbook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013, 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7 (NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB).

Please assist.
Reply Quote
Same issues. Hard freeze every time I try to join a game. Have to keep rebooting my entire system. I will keep toying with it and see what happens.

21.5" Display iMAC, Late 2012
Reply Quote
Just got a brand spanking new 27 Inch iMac Fully loaded.

Spent sometime getting it all setup and the final step diablo 3.

You can imagine how disappointing it has been over the past few days, Blizzard I am a software Consultant and like anything else you have to put things is a Test/Dev Environment before going to live.
The point been to iron out any issue before you release, so tell me how is it possible that you have a million people playing a game and even though a small percentage are Apple users thats still a lot of people.

Guys get you finger out and act like professionals, keep the community informed and don't get big headed.... every big company fails when they loose sight of their core customer base.

Sort it out.... We community of Mac Users are watching... the next move is your's blizzard.

Deadlier
Reply Quote
Just got a brand spanking new 27 Inch iMac Fully loaded.

Spent sometime getting it all setup and the final step diablo 3.

You can imagine how disappointing it has been over the past few days, Blizzard I am a software Consultant and like anything else you have to put things is a Test/Dev Environment before going to live.
The point been to iron out any issue before you release, so tell me how is it possible that you have a million people playing a game and even though a small percentage are Apple users thats still a lot of people.

Guys get you finger out and act like professionals, keep the community informed and don't get big headed.... every big company fails when they loose sight of their core customer base.

Sort it out.... We community of Mac Users are watching... the next move is your's blizzard.

Deadlier
Reply Quote
This just seems so Hit and Miss...

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro 15" Retina with 256gb SSD, and the Game works fine for me, EXCEPT accessing the AH, which freezes it up.

Yet "a brand spanking new 27 Inch iMac Fully loaded." doesn't work at all?

and
"a Macbook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013, 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7 (NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB)."

This puzzles me! How can my Macbook Pro from 2012 work OK (except for AH) and his newer Macbook Pro not?
(One thing to try ... On the MBP, Make SURE your GeForce 750 Card is Forced to be the ONLY graphics chip/card used.. there is a way to do this, [See Below] This May also work for the iMac.. Make sure your dedicated Graphics card is Forced to be your ONLY useable graphics car.. disable use of the graphics chip built into the CPU.. maybe this will help, who knows?)
"The critical tool to help is GfxCardStatus ( http://gfx.io/ ).
It will allow you to FORCE the integrated GPU on all the time,"
from: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/528725/forcing-retina-macbook-pro-to-use-intel-graphics-for-desktop-freeing-memory-on-cuda-device-/
Edited by GondorNative#1448 on 3/2/2014 9:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
I am having the same issue. It is NOT just the Auction House. I am locking up at random times and "beach balling". The color wheel appears at random times and I have to totally power off the system. Really really stinks.

My system if it helps the devs:

iMac 27'' 3.5 i7 Latest model (Late 2013)
Mac OS X 10.9.2
24GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA GeForce 780M
3TB Fusion Drive
Reply Quote
03/02/2014 06:52 AMPosted by Docsta
I am having the same issue. It is NOT just the Auction House. I am locking up at random times and "beach balling". The color wheel appears at random times and I have to totally power off the system. Really really stinks.

I've found I usually end up locking up when I use a skill that has some sort of texture swap or blur/warp effect (Sweeping Wind, Mantra of Conviction, Smoke Screen, etc). Whenever I push the skill button the game spins out and I'm stuck beach-balling.

To prevent the beach-balling, play in fullscreen windowed mode, it will hard crash and exit the game instead of locking up the system for a long time.

If you're in full screen try command+tab to switch out of the program or command+alt+escape to bring up the force quit menu. If you're using spaces like I am, a spaces swap will usually force the game away from it's active state so you can quit easily. This didn't always work for me and sometimes I'd still have to restart when I locked up in fullscreen mode.
Edited by Torque#1908 on 3/4/2014 5:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hey all, I know this sucks as a work around and I dont know if it will work for you but rather then hard booting my computer I act as though everything is working correctly when I hit command+alt+esc, despite no sign of "Force Quit Applications" and then hit Enter. After a few seconds my computer force quits D3 despite not being able to view the "Force quit applications" window and I can relaunch from the b.net launcher beta.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]