Diablo® III

Mac-Issue: Hard Freeze when entering new game

03/05/2014 10:28 AMPosted by Machkhan
Can you tell me what exact steps you have done when this happens? We know that there is an issue where if you do the following:

1. Log into Diablo III
    2. Select the icon for viewing the character profile
    3. Go back and press Resume
    ---> The game will hang, and eventually crash

Outside of this, we're having issues reproducing this. Posting what exact steps you do (i.e log in, then open X window, etc) take prior to the crash will help out.

Also, if you can post your system information, that would be great.

Obtaining and Posting System Information

1) Click on the Apple Menu while holding down the Option key and select System Profiler (10.6.8) / System Information (10.7 and later).

2) Copy the information from the following sections and paste them into your post. Please copy in the following order: Hardware Overview, Graphics, and Software. Do not include any serial numbers, hardware UUIDs, or account/login names or information in your post.
Finally, if you have any specific applications running (Safari, Mail, etc), please post those as well.

Thanks!

by having Page 2 before launching Battle.net Application and ultimately starting the game kind of addresses the issue of rebooting mac. however this process is, still, very annoying.

the process I take is...
1. Launch Battle.net
2. Click "Play"
3. After login, either check AH/RMAH or change quest then start/join game.
4. Now actually playing the game is Lotto. the Client will either:
-Crash or,
-Start/join a game.
5. After a successful Start/join, Run or an objective is finished, then I leave game.
After a crash, I launch Mission Control, click to go to page 2, launch Force Quit, quit d3 client, go to Page 1 to launch client again.
6. and the process continues with step 4.

Little help please?
Reply Quote
03/10/2014 03:35 PMPosted by LI7L
the process I take is...
1. Launch Battle.net
2. Click "Play"
3. After login, either check AH/RMAH or change quest then start/join game.
4. Now actually playing the game is Lotto. the Client will either:
-Crash or,
-Start/join a game.
5. After a successful Start/join, Run or an objective is finished, then I leave game.
After a crash, I launch Mission Control, click to go to page 2, launch Force Quit, quit d3 client, go to Page 1 to launch client again.
6. and the process continues with step 4.

Mine is worse. My computer crashes all together. I used to get lucky and play for about 4-5 hours a night. Only at NIGHT. I have my doubts of them actually fixing all the issue by tuesday.
Reply Quote
I'm hitting this as well, usually once a night.

Seems random on any prior steps, but the game hard hangs (spinning beach ball) when clicking start game (after switching to a different campaign) or resume game from the main menu.

Spinning beach ball comes up, the D3 splash page doesn't show up and game just hangs there. Have to force shutdown and restart.

This hang behaviour is very similar to the previous AH hang. No logs or crash logs evident in console.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02
SMC Version (system): 2.3f36

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3688
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: Retina LCD
Resolution: 2880 x 1800
Retina: Yes
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Reply Quote
No other application running while paying diablo 3 other than Battle net login application provided by blizzard.

System freezes or games crashes in most cases while creating a new game or Entering a friends game .

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.70f6
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)
Kernel Version: Darwin 13.1.0
Boot Volume: mac
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: apple’s MacBook Pro
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
Time since boot: 3:27

AMD Radeon HD 6750M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6741
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0170L-573
gMux Version: 1.9.24
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Built-In: Yes
Edited by Blade#6870 on 3/11/2014 10:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Just to clarify something. this crash NEVER freezes system. the system is full responsive when the game freezes, the problem is that while in full screen mode, D3 disables system command key functions such as command tab and command-option-escape. which is why expose is the ONLY way to get out of full screen mode, or force reboot a fully stable system, because D3 thinks it has the right to disable system modifiers.

if anything, the travesty here is that blizzard apps are the only apps that exist that disable SYSTEM keybinds in full screen mode. Pretty much any other game or app will not disable command-option-escape or command-tab like blizz does. However, it seems blizz does this to allow people to use command as a hotkey.....Something I'd never do anyways.
Edited by MysticalOS#1981 on 3/11/2014 11:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
While I can manage to command-option-escape (nothing shows up but I hit enter as though it is there and eventually it brings me to home screen) and I do often suffer from random disconnects what is RUINING my gaming experience is the excessive load times trying to enter/exit game and usually when teleporting from town to a party member. As I never had any qualms before this last patch the issue of excessive loading times is something that I would expect is a bug on your end and not caused by my system/isp, yet I don't see excessive load times listed as an issue in 2.01/.02/.03. :*(
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
03/11/2014 11:10 AMPosted by MysticalOS
if anything, the travesty here is that blizzard apps are the only apps that exist that disable SYSTEM keybinds in full screen mode. Pretty much any other game or app will not disable command-option-escape or command-tab like blizz does. However, it seems blizz does this to allow people to use command as a hotkey.....Something I'd never do anyways.

During normal gameplay I can CMD-TAB just fine. I do it all the time when checking something like my email. It's only when the D3 app itself becomes unresponsive that we lose keyboard shortcuts outside of hot corners.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
I've had other full screen apps hang in past, and command-option-escape closes em, so D3 must do something to hijack it. still acting as a pass through or something, so it only passes it onto system if it's not frozen. *shrug. either way, it's frustrating.
Reply Quote
so my 2012 up to date 15 inch macbook pro crashes all the time. while entering games, leaving games, entering a new area, pretty much anything the requires a loading screen. even when it doesnt crash the game takes forever to load and its so bad that for ubers the group will see my char in town and then start the 1st portal and my game will load me after they have started the fight and ill be stuck in town unable to join, or my game will take so long to load the boss encounter that ill load and be dead. this never happend before the patch 2.0. I recently installed diablo on a 2nd gen mac book air running 10.7.5 and got a message telling me that 10.7.5 will no longer be supported and that it is highly recommended i update to 10.9. However the game has not crashed on me once since switching to my what would seem to be inferior macbook air. anyone have any ideas as to why a macbook air running a much older OS seems to be able to run diablo with less issues, other than the incredibly long loading times, than a 15 inch macbook pro with the newest OS and better graphics card and ram???
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
03/11/2014 07:55 PMPosted by MysticalOS
I've had other full screen apps hang in past, and command-option-escape closes em, so D3 must do something to hijack it. still acting as a pass through or something, so it only passes it onto system if it's not frozen. *shrug. either way, it's frustrating.

Agreed. Perhaps it's just best if Blizzard stopped allowing CMD as a hotkey. Breaking the system in this manner has some fairly nasty consequences, which is probably why no other games do such a thing.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
I can cmd+tab in and out of D3 just fine though. I will wait for the next hang and see if I can force quit the app even though the force quit window doesn't show up. force shutting down my laptop is a major irritation especially if I have other apps running in the background that I'm halfway doing stuff on.
Reply Quote
crap blizzard even a simple log out also failing. wtf
Reply Quote
View profile
Machkhan,

This is just an update. As of build 2.0.3.22427, the start/resume game crashes have disappeared for me completely. All 3 cases that I noted in http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11914901514?page=2#32 have not recurred (I've purposely gone in/out of game, AH, profile, etc to try and get the client to crash - went through an 8 hour session without a crash to desktop).

Thus whatever changes made in this build has worked for me (I also tested on my 2013 MacBook Air and a 2009 MacBook Pro all running 10.9.2 and same level of success).
Reply Quote
The game freezes for me when I am in a Nephalim Rift and am teleporting to town. The freeze happens during the loading screen. The freeze also occurs when teleporting to a player who is inside a Rift, or using a portal to go back to the rift. The game just hangs on the load screen and certain sound effects that are going on will repeat or will glitch and loop. As with the others, the only thing I can do is a manual hard reboot which I always hate doing. Puts unnecessary strain on the computer.

I thought at first this only happened during extended hours of gameplay with the iMacs (and all Macs to be honest) poor ability to cool the computer / graphics card. After all, they are not gaming machines. But the game still freezes sometimes even after 5 minutes of playing and I port to a player / enter a rift / and freeze at that loading screen again. I'm on a mid-2010 iMac.
Reply Quote
this applied to my late 2013 retina Macbook Pro as well.
It also killed three of my Hardcore characters, and now i'm seldom to create a new one or play.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
04/09/2014 01:17 AMPosted by Syllix
The game freezes for me when I am in a Nephalim Rift and am teleporting to town

Different issue with plenty of threads on it already. This thread was about a game creation bug 2.0.1 had that actually got fixed already.
Reply Quote
Well, as the OP hinted at, I too had hoped this problem had been fixed but tonight I tried to start a new game and it locked up my computer. I was in windowed mode and tried to exit out of Diablo...no dice. I was able to reach the Finder and issue a restart, only to discover that the directory structure on my boot drive was completely corrupted! WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I booted from a recovery disk and ran DiskWarrier to repair the drive. I'm one of many people here who have been reporting errors and random freezes. I've got a ticket in as well, though I'm not expecting a thing to happen with that. To be clear, I'm not suggesting Diablo corrupted my drive's directory structure, but they way it crashes and brings down the entire Mac leaves quite a mess behind.

No more D3 for me until someone at Blizzard can fix this issue.
Edited by Hyperion#1591 on 4/12/2014 8:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There you go.

Hardware-Übersicht:

Modellname: iMac
Modell-Identifizierung: iMac13,2
Prozessortyp: Intel Core i7
Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 3,4 GHz
Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1
Gesamtanzahl der Kerne: 4
L2-Cache (pro Kern): 256 KB
L3-Cache: 8 MB
Speicher: 16 GB
Boot-ROM-Version: IM131.010A.B04
SMC-Version (System): 2.11f14
Seriennummer (System): ...
Hardware-UUID: ...

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX:

Chipsatz-Modell: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX
Typ: GPU
PCIe-Lane-Breite: x16
VRAM (gesamt): 1024 MB
Hersteller: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Geräte-ID: 0x11a2
Versions-ID: 0x00a2
ROM-Version: 3707
Monitore:
iMac:
Monitortyp: LCD
Auflösung: 2560 x 1440
Pixeltiefe: 32-Bit Farbe (ARGB8888)
Hauptmonitor: Ja
Synchronisierung: Aus
Eingeschaltet: Ja
Integriert: Ja

Überblick über die Systemsoftware:

Systemversion: OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)
Kernel-Version: Darwin 13.1.0
Startvolume: Macintosh HD
Startmodus: Normal
Gerätename: Helges Mac
Benutzername: Helge Becker (helge)
Sicherer virtueller Speicher: Aktiviert
Zeit seit dem Start: 17 Minuten
Reply Quote
Hey Bliz just wondering if you have update on this issue or a fix?

Last night D3 froze on me during rift run about 65% complete. I rebooted mac and managed to join the same game as i was in a party with mates by now they were on rift guardian, as soon as we finished the guardian and before the items could drop the game froze again.

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 32 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MP41.0081.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.39f5

AMD Radeon HD 7950:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 7950
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 3072 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x679a
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-E2080C-101
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.624
Displays:
LED Cinema Display:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Display Serial Number: 2A0419TQ6JL
Rotation: Supported
Connection Type: DisplayPort
Reply Quote
Same thing happens to me. Freezes on the load screen and the only way to get out is to unplug my computer.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac13,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM131.010A.B05
SMC Version (system): 2.9f5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB
Software OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]