Diablo® III

Very long loading time?

MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Tia, I don't think it's JUSt compressed memory i think if D3 is even paging out loading goes to crap then too.

Disabling compressed memory helps some though because for some reason even with 24 or even 32 gigs of ram, 10.9 will compress memory before it frees up file cache which is stupid. On my 32 gigs of ram I have had compressed memory activate after using a lot of programs and file cache filling up, even though i closed all those programs. The OS decided to keep them cached and use compression to free memory for new programs instead of I dunno, purging that 20 gigs of file cache it was holding.

it stops helping when the system just flat out doesn't have enough ram to avoid VM so even with compression gone, if it's hitting pageouts, loading gets real bad.

Mel, try doing "sudo purge" (in terminal) before opening D3 and see if that works, this will dump file cache and make a ton of that ram available for D3 without a doubt, see what it does then.
Reply Quote
So, I just purged in terminal, then immediately loaded up a new game, went right into battle and got myself killed so that you could see what happens. I respawned in town, then teleported back, and this is where the issue rears it's ugly head. I don't know if this is technically slow loading, but it appears to store up the packets of everything that's happening, then it dumps them all at once and you appear after about 30 seconds and are immediately killed from all the action that should have been happening but wasn't.

Here's the video. http://youtu.be/zvYwXUkdjkc
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
What your video shows is that you were desynchronized from the server (desync). Usually the latency bar will show orange or red for a short period afterwards, but not always. However, that does always happen is what happened to you. Basically, when you desync from the server everything looks like it just "stops" on your end, but actually continues to occur on the server end. Once you reconnect to the server properly, all of the actions that occured during the desync happen pretty much all at once as you noticed.

Unfortuantely that happens from time to time on either platform due to various glitches with abilities etc. It is however, unrelated to the issue this thread is centered on.
Well I had a nasty crash this evening during a game load. That's a little off-topic. What I wanted to add was that I had been running D3 on 10.7.5 and had experienced extremely long load times along with crashing. I really don't think this is limited to Mavericks. Most of my problems started when 2.0.3 (or perhaps some hot fix just before) and the arrival of the battle net desktop app.
Reply Quote
I have the very slow loading issue. Main drive is a SSD with 8GB free space, Diablo is on a secondary drive.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2,8 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB
Memory: 6 GB
Bus Speed: 1,6 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.25f4
Serial Number (system): REDACTED
Hardware UUID: REDACTED

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0640
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3386
Displays:
Apple Cinema HD Display:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)
Kernel Version: Darwin 13.1.0
Boot Volume: Speedy
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: REDACTED
User Name: REDACTED
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
Time since boot: 36 days 13:49
————
Edited by Enzo90910#2278 on 4/13/2014 3:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
4 gb RAM, 74 gb free memory. Having a lot of crashing/disconnecting/long load issues.
Reply Quote
outside of adding more ram (wish I could but my slots are full), is there any leads on improving load times/crashes etc?

has disabling compressed memory helped anyone out? I'm not tech savvy, what is this cache purge that has been mentioned?

unfortunately I'm still experiencing all of these issues and am simply playing through it and waiting patiently during load times and rebooting the game when/if it crashes or freezes.
Reply Quote
Hi,
Am I glad to see one of you guys from blizzard actually reads these forums.

Starting the game does not fix the problem. We do not get a choice really as the game crashes so often that we have to start again.
Play with one character, leave game and try to start with another character - 95% chance approx of the game crashing with Mac users.

Starting the game takes around 45-60 sec. Ending a game takes longer? using a portal of any kind from "town" about 45 seconds to load.

If you have read the forums you have noticed that quite a lot of people are having the same problem.

None of these issues were present before the upgrade.

I would be extremely grateful if you can recognised that there is a problem and try to resolve it.

I still think Diablo 3 is the best best game ever. If you look at the amount of hours I have been playing it speaks for itself. I am 60 years old and work for a living otherwise the hours would be much more.

Many thanks

Dennis
Edited by Dahnstehr on 4/24/2014 5:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm having that problem now. It load so long plus the lag spike. I get killed just entering into a fight.
Reply Quote
Upgraded my rams from 4 to 8. Took care of the loading time but still crashes from time to time.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Champ, you should remove your real name and email address from your post (or a CM needs to do so). Personal information should never be posted to these (or any) public fora.

04/23/2014 09:02 AMPosted by Hang
Upgraded my rams from 4 to 8. Took care of the loading time but still crashes from time to time.

Yeah, the loading time got fixed because you're not hitting memory compression so easily, but the join/create/rift crashing is due to the 3.5 GB in-app RAM limitation S4d1k mentioned previously. That's why he's trying to optimize the D3 client for better memory usage, and why MysticalOS and I are so heavily lobbying for the transition to 64-bit. There is zero reason on OS X to remain 32-bit anymore.
25/4/14
not solved yet
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
04/25/2014 06:12 AMPosted by CHAMP
25/4/14
not solved yet

Not surprising, considering there has been no patch yet.
Reply Quote
16GB RAM, 3.2ghz i3, Mavericks

15sec loading screens when solo, 30-45 second load screens when joining a group (if the game doesn't crash). That's 30-45 seconds every time i see a load screen, so upon entering the game and again when trying to teleport to a player.

Problem did not exist pre-RoS. Load times were always under 10 seconds, solo or group.
Reply Quote
Does blue post even have an idea what hes talking about ? Loading time take ages and on top of that i sometimes lose connection to the battle net server and get back to the menu. This is obviously a d3 problem and not my !@#$ing pc, i have 8 gb ram and enough space left on hd
Reply Quote
Yeah today I can't enter a rift. Game loads for like 2 minutes then just crashes and exits. This wasn't happening yesterday...
Also, every loading page takes about 30 seconds...
Edited by Scrambles#1103 on 5/1/2014 5:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The Mac version of Diablo 3 is not that good anymore :(. Will have to play on my PC
Reply Quote
04/11/2014 08:21 PMPosted by MysticalOS
Tia, I don't think it's JUSt compressed memory i think if D3 is even paging out loading goes to crap then too.

Disabling compressed memory helps some though because for some reason even with 24 or even 32 gigs of ram, 10.9 will compress memory before it frees up file cache which is stupid. On my 32 gigs of ram I have had compressed memory activate after using a lot of programs and file cache filling up, even though i closed all those programs. The OS decided to keep them cached and use compression to free memory for new programs instead of I dunno, purging that 20 gigs of file cache it was holding.

it stops helping when the system just flat out doesn't have enough ram to avoid VM so even with compression gone, if it's hitting pageouts, loading gets real bad.

Mel, try doing "sudo purge" (in terminal) before opening D3 and see if that works, this will dump file cache and make a ton of that ram available for D3 without a doubt, see what it does then.

I dont think compressed memory feature of mavericks, if you just read the OS X Mavericks core technology overview it was defined there the following:

Shrinks memory usage.
Improves power efficiency.
Minimizes CPU usage.
Is multicore aware.

source: https://www.apple.com/media/us/osx/2013/docs/OSX_Mavericks_Core_Technology_Overview.pdf
Edited by Prometheus#1602 on 5/5/2014 7:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
05/05/2014 07:19 PMPosted by Prometheus
I dont think compressed memory feature of mavericks, if you just read the OS X Mavericks core technology overview it was defined there the following:

• Shrinks memory usage.
• Improves power efficiency.
• Minimizes CPU usage.
• Is multicore aware.

source: https://www.apple.com/media/us/osx/2013/docs/OSX_Mavericks_Core_Technology_Overview.pdf

We're well aware of what the tech entails. We've also demonstrated very thoroughly that low RAM situations in Mavericks invoke the VM compressor causing excessive load times. Now, you'd get those same load times in ML from the regular "old" VM system that uses swap only once you actually hit swap, but you hit it much sooner in Mavericks because it tries to be smart about RAM when doing anything to RAM currently in use by something like a game that randomly accesses different addresses on a constant basis can have some rather drastic results.

I can easily reproduce this scenario if I make a RAM disk that leaves me with only 4 GB minus whatever my OS itself is currently taking (meaning if my OS is taking 600 MB, I want to make a RAM disk that leaves me with 3.4 GB RAM left and fill the RAM disk and then launch Diablo 3. Doing this is guaranteed to invoke the insane load times.

Trust me, I did my homework on this one as I wanted to nail down the primary culprit for those having problems, and almost nobody is having these issues outside of Mavericks unless they have less than 4 GB RAM installed.
2. Protect the innocent.
3. Uphold the law.
4. Smash, Jay, Smash!
Reply Quote
On my early 2011 MBpro 13'' had the same issues. Leaving and re-entering game took up to 1min. Joining another players game even longer.

Upped the RAM from 4 to 8GB (max) and installed an SSD which cut those times in half. Its not peachy yet but playable. I did not however reinstalled the OS to give the mac a fresh start which might have been even better for performance. Occasional game crashes also ceased.

Im happy that it work although an investment of 180€ basically just for this game seems steep.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]