Diablo® III

I love Chakram Shuriken Cloud.

Looking for any suggestions or analysis on my build:

UPDATE may 11th: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UiedOX!Xbfe!ZbcaYb

My profile:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/BryO-1418/hero/38986916

I started playing the game in December 2013 as a DH. Just picked my DH back up after the Loot patch dropped. Finding it fun again, and trying to make a unique and fun-to-play build. So far doing okay on T1, still feeling squishy until I find some better gear.

Thanks for your time
Edited by BryO#1418 on 5/11/2014 2:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i feel like you should use Strafe instead of Rapid Fire so that you can walk through enemies with the Shuriken Cloud.
Reply Quote
I'll take that into consideration when I play a little later, thanks!!!

RF is just my noob skill, I'll need to practice with Strafe and learn how to use it.

edited for spelling zen
Edited by BryO#1418 on 3/6/2014 8:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
Best used with a slow 2h weapon since it deals your weapon damage per second irregardless of your attack speed, in other words it's gonna hit harder every tick if you have a slow 2h weapon compared to a fast 1h.
Reply Quote
03/06/2014 08:06 PMPosted by BryO
I'll take that into consideration when I play a little later, thanks!!!

RF is just my noob skill, I'll need to practice with Strafe and learn how to use it.

edited for spelling zen

I've been enjoying Strafe since 1.0.8 (fairly late), and it seems to work even better with 2.0.1. Typically I use Shuriken Cloud instead of Sentry (my 2 slot) when I'm fighting mobs. The Poison burst (from my helm) and Shuriken cloud does a ton of damage while strafing.

What works for me is that I run a spiral pattern just edging into tough opponents so they take the AoE, without me getting too close. With weaker mobs, I just bowl right into them.

I'm getting addicted to Strafe, because it is so effective at keeping me alive,

KAM
Reply Quote
Ah yes, strafe can be quite fun and allows you to laugh at affixes that are problematic for more stationary builds.

As for the spec, what I see at the time of posting this is http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#biedSX!ecf!YZccZc
linked because it seems as tho your build has changed since the initial post.

My thoughts are that it seems like a fairly solid build with the exception of Cull the Weak. I personally don't think that using entangling shot as your only slow effect is reliable enough (assuming solo play or play with not specifically compatible builds). I feel like you could get more use out of that passive slot. Of course if you really like the mechanics of how it plays by all means stick with it, but it will take a bit more effort on crowds to keep priority targets slowed.

While it is a DPS loss, I find that using Tactical Advantage with Evasive Fire on a strafe build can be quite fun with the massive move speed buff that you can keep up almost constantly. You could also consider going with Emberstrafe and using Hardened for Evasive Fire for a more AoE into the fray type of strafing which could have potential with the proc from Windforce reducing incoming damage further.
Reply Quote
Exactly what I was hoping for, keep the ideas flowing! I get to work all weekend :p

I still love Shuriken Cloud :)

I was using the rune for RF that adds slow, so CotW was a part of the build until I changed to strafe.

EDIT: I believe all that has changed from OP was Strafe for RF and Windforce instead of Calamity for weapon

other worthy questions would be:

Replacement suggestions for CotW and or ES?

Archery or SS? I have heard some debate about this
Edited by BryO#1418 on 3/7/2014 4:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
Well since this is the kinda discussion I really like, I suppose I'll go again since no one else seems to want to.

One thought would be to make more use of CtW. You could replace either Vault or Smokescreen (I'd take out Smokescreen as I personally enjoy vault way too much) with a Caltrops for some good AoE slows since I'd imagine with both SS and Vault you at least have some fair discipline management and could afford a caltrop every now and then. I could see just about any caltrops rune being viable choices here, altho I would say Bait the Trap would probably be the least desireable, and my personal top picks being Jagged Spikes (because why say no to extra AoE damage?) or Carved Stakes for more slows with less hit to your discipline pool. As the build is quite mobile I would imagine the increased slow and snare runes wouldn't be as desirable.

To go along with that choice you could potentially swap Archery out for something like Numbing Traps since with Shuriken cloud you're bound to take some hits now and then

Another idea would be to replace CtW with Blood Vengeance, as it lends itself fairly well to extended strafing as you can easily Vault or Strafe your wait over to any stray health orbs for resupplies without breaking your attack. Also potentially adding Fan of Daggers rune over Smokescreen for the emergency stuns in bad situations or to be used to open enemies up for some close range AoE attacks without taking too many hits. I do personally believe that both Smokescreen and Vault together is highly unnecessary unless you have some specific uses that you personally like.

As for Archery, I really don't see many choices that offer much to the build for replacements other than maybe Hot Pursuit for lulz. compared to SS? I have nothing against SS, but I feel like its better off for a heavy burst or very hit and run oriented build. SS will give you some epic crit burst moments, but I don't really know if it will be better than archery or not. While I'm sure there's the technically "correct" answer to that question based on gear and whatnot, I feel like its not gona be make or break for you, so probably just go with whatever you prefer.

P.S. Shuriken Cloud 2.0 ftw
(heck I still loved that skill even when it was complete weaksauce)
Edited by TinFoilMkIV#1596 on 3/8/2014 9:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
What is the range on shuriken cloud?
Reply Quote
03/16/2014 06:43 PMPosted by Moorehead
What is the range on shuriken cloud?

Not that great. I think a little less than 10 yards, or thereabouts. I only use it to farm Normal after a quest reset to rush.
Reply Quote
I love Shuriken cloud for low difficulty legendary farming. Strafe in the middle of everything and also slash them for awesome damage! Plus it breaks doors, barrels etc automatically.

Not very viable when playing at high Torment, though. But I'm cool with different skills for different needs.
Reply Quote
03/06/2014 08:10 PMPosted by Myon
Best used with a slow 2h weapon since it deals your weapon damage per second irregardless of your attack speed, in other words it's gonna hit harder every tick if you have a slow 2h weapon compared to a fast 1h.

Oh! Forgot about this. Does attack speed also affect the rate at which grenades and rockets are launched with their respective Strafe runes?

EDIT: Saw Oble's post below. Makes sense. I'd actually test this myself but I haven't gotten a good 2-hand crossbow yet.
Edited by Beramonde#6770 on 3/16/2014 10:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/06/2014 08:10 PMPosted by Myon

Actually, if they haven't changed the mechanics from pre-2.0, APS is multiplied into the damage per tick, but it deals damage at fixed tick intervals (much like Chain of Torment and Pet Companions).

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9661596200#4
Reply Quote
i love twin chakram and serpentine more... gotto love -5 hatred cost for unli chakram :)
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WiedfX!ebf!cZccZb

my current build

Going pretty well really now that I have higher toughness
Reply Quote
I use melee Chakram with FireWalkers and FoK spam. See below for great thread about this build.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10004380634?page=1#5
Reply Quote
Shuriken Cloud should last for 10 minutes just like the Wizard's armor spells.
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 05:55 AMPosted by Rayman
Shuriken Cloud should last for 10 minutes just like the Wizard's armor spells.

Well, it does seem as if some other classes got duration boosts on things, so they can essentially forget about refreshing them. Shuriken Cloud probably didn't because it is technically an attack skill.

KAM
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 06:22 AMPosted by MonkeyBoy
Shuriken Cloud probably didn't because it is technically an attack skill.

I would love for it to last longer, but considering it's (SC) effectiveness and power, it's okay with me to have to refresh it so often. Keeps me actively engaged in the battle :p
Reply Quote
Use Cloud with Andy helmet, wade into enemeies with strafe and shuriken cloud, see acid cloud proc like crazy. 2-3 times per second at the very least. What I need now is a hell-trapper Xbow and Chains of Torment on my skill bar. That plus Hexing Pants and Reaper Wraps (to remove hatred regen skills) is the Strafer end game build.

Feel free to add the lighning belt and FoK shoulders for more AoE fun.

03/20/2014 04:49 AMPosted by Wired
I use melee Chakram with FireWalkers and FoK spam. See below for great thread about this build.

This takes a lot of gear to make work with strafe. Hopeful... since I have that Knives sash. Once everything else above drops.
Edited by Wilson#1580 on 3/28/2014 9:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]