Diablo® III

[Guide] RoS Elemental Skill Damage Explained

MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
   — 'Elemental Skills Deal X% more damage' Fully Explained —
Hello everyone,

I am here to fully explain the affix that has become popular with loot 2.0 that reads:
<element> skills deal X% more damage

First off, you can read it with really nice formatting here --
http://bannedofgamers.com/index.php?threads/guide-ros-elemental-skill-damage-explained.1104/

Along with MANY more cases of this affix, Blizz has implemented a pretty solid elemental system for our skills. Most classes now have access to skills dealing many different types of damage which allows different builds based on which element you want to specialize in.

I will do my absolute best to write this in a readable way but I want to warn those with a weak-constitution ... thar be Math ahead!

Basics behind the Elemental Affix
Here is an example of the stat in question --
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/azurewrath

In this example, we see that Azurewrath can roll with "Cold skills deal 15-20% more damage"
For the rest of this example, we will assume it rolled with 20%.

For the most part, this stat is easy to understand ... if you use a skill that is designated as "cold damage" it will do more damage than the same skill if it were designated as something else.

An example skill is --
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/ray-of-frost

As you can see, Ray of Frost normally deals 510% weapon damage.

However, If you have the Azurewrath equipped, it will instead deal 510% * 1.2 = 612% weapon damage.

Now let's say you have Azurewrath and Frostburn Gauntelets equipped giving you one source of 20% cold skill damage and another source of 15% cold skill damage.

This is an "additive" stat and your total bonus to cold skills is simply the sum of all your bonuses.
You will have a total bonus of 1+ [0.2 (Azurewrath) + 0.15 (Frosties)] = 1.35

Ray of Frost will now deal 510% * 1.35 = 688.5% weapon damage.

As you can see, this stat is immensly powerful. A normal character will usually get about 9.23% total damage increase from the 6% Critical Hit Chance stat on your Bracers. If, instead of that stat, you went with 15% <elemental> skill damage you would be getting a massive 15% total damage increase to your <element> skills.
This is 1.63x as much damage increase as the CHC!!!

Critical Hit Chance has historically been the best stat for DPS so it's awesome to see a stat beat it out completely.

What Skills Does it Affect?
This has been a very popular question over the last couple of weeks and it's a very strait forward one.

The Elemental Skills deal X% more Damage affix only applies the skills that deal X% weapon damage in some way.

Example --
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/monk/active/cyclone-strike

Un-runed Cyclone Strike will always deal Holy damage and is therefore subject to the Holy Skills deal X% more damage stat.

However, the ONLY part of the skill that will be affected is the 261% weapon damage.
This will be increased by X%.

The number of enemies and yards they are pulled will not be altered in any way.

Any skill that has an effect other than X% weapon damage will not have that effect altered by Elemental Skills deal X% increased damage.

Note: this includes skills that deal damage that is not tied to weapon damage such as Exploding Palm's explosion (the DoT will still do increased damage).

Elemental Affixes and Weapon Elements
Elemental Affixes and Weapon Elements

How does your X - Y <element> Damage affix on your weapon interact with your <Element> skills deal X% more damage affixes?

The short answer --
It has no effect what-so-ever

In a hotfix, the following change was made --
Skills that deal Physical damage should no longer benefit from items that increase elemental skill damage.

This change fixed the last "buggy" issue with this stat and correctly changes ALL elemental type-skills to change your damage type TO the element they are labeled as.

Elemental Affix and Skill Bonus Affix

Some items have another affix that reads Increase <Skill> damage by X% that interact VERY favorably with <Elemental> Skills deal X% more Damage.

Here is an example --
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/staff-of-kyro
This staff directly increases the damage done by --
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/monk/active/deadly-reach

If the Diabo rolls 50%, Deadly Reach will go from 109% to 109*1.5 = 163.5% weapon damage.

However, if we throw some Physical Skills deal X% more Damage into the mix you start to see some incredibly high numbers.

Let's say you have 20% Physical damage on bracers and 20% Physical damage on Andy's helm.

Combine with this staff you will now have a DR that does 109% * 1.5 (staff) * 1.4 (bracers+helm) = 228.9% weapon damage. This is 2.1x higher than it normally is!

The take-away here is that <Elemental> Skills deal X% more Damage and Increase <Skill> damage by X% stack multiplicitively with each other.

Conclusion
All in all, the stat <Elemental> Skills deal X% more Damage is extremely strong when used correctly and will make or break your build. Selecting skills carefully and stacking this affix in the right places will drastically increase your effective DPS!

As always, thank you so much for reading and feel free to ask questions! :D
Edited by Druin#1518 on 3/27/2014 10:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
                              Notes 
As seen here --
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12032813274

The following change was made --
Skills that deal Physical damage should no longer benefit from items that increase elemental skill damage.

This removed the bug that allowed weapon-element to affect the damage-type of Physical Skills.
Edited by Druin#1518 on 3/24/2014 12:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile

Edited by Druin#1518 on 3/7/2014 11:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile

Edited by Druin#1518 on 3/7/2014 11:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
can't wait to see the monk bible 2.0, lol
Reply Quote
03/07/2014 10:56 AMPosted by Druin
My favorite example so far is my friend who has a ~90% Lighting Skill Damage suit for his monk using Thunderfury. He can now use Wave of Light - Pillar of the Ancients which gets ~87% of his lighting modifier giving him a ~1.78x modifier on Pillar of the Ancients!!

:D Thanks for the shout out! And the tips!
Edited by Amiar#1992 on 3/7/2014 11:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Can you make a list of every Monk Skill + Rune + Element and list what % of it benefits from %-to-element-skills?

Would make more sense, and be easier to understand for folks that just want to know what the affix does, not how it does it.
Reply Quote
@Druin

I found one typo

03/07/2014 10:56 AMPosted by Druin
This is an "additive" stat and your total bonus to cold skills is simply the sum of all your bonuses.
You will have a total bonus of 1+ [0.2 (Azurewrath) * 0.15 (Frosties)] = 1.35

While your description is correct but your formula shows as multiplicative, the "*" should be "+"
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Thanks Neuron!

Edit -- deleted for accuracy! This post previously had misleading information based on a bug that has been fixed.
Edited by Druin#1518 on 3/28/2014 11:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
03/07/2014 11:34 AMPosted by Druin
Thanks Neuron!

03/07/2014 11:31 AMPosted by Banned
Can you make a list of every Monk Skill + Rune + Element and list what % of it benefits from %-to-element-skills?

Would make more sense, and be easier to understand for folks that just want to know what the affix does, not how it does it.

The skills are listed in your character sheet which does a better job than I ever could.

Every skill that is listed as "Physical" has a % of its damage determined by the element on your weapon. I can't hard-list a % because it varies based on the weapon being used.

I don't get it, Hands of Lightnining says PHYSICAL, so if I use an Azurewrath and enchant it from COLD to LIGHTNING, and have bracers that adds to +20% LIGHTNING, I would get 78% of the +20% bonus?
Reply Quote
Thanks Druin.
The physical affix part was the one I was interested in because in beta I saw that physical skills were affected by the element of your weapon but I didn't knew that it was:

1 - intended (I thought it was a bug)
2 - it was separated in 2 parts (physical and elemental)

+1 and requested sticky.
Reply Quote
03/07/2014 11:34 AMPosted by Druin
Every skill that is listed as "Physical" has a % of its damage determined by the element on your weapon. I can't hard-list a % because it varies based on the weapon being used.

Better put some "extra notes here" only applies to monk

Barb has some different situation. Rend locks the skill and dmg strictly as Physical, weapon type won't convert skill/dmg type. And won't benefit from non-physical dmg bonus.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Edit -- deleted for accuracy! This post previously had misleading information based on a bug that has been fixed.
Edited by Druin#1518 on 3/28/2014 11:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Edited by Druin#1518 on 3/28/2014 11:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
03/07/2014 11:43 AMPosted by Druin
03/07/2014 11:38 AMPosted by Banned
I don't get it, Hands of Lightnining says PHYSICAL, so if I use an Azurewrath and enchant it from COLD to LIGHTNING, and have bracers that adds to +20% LIGHTNING, I would get 78% of the +20% bonus?

Welp, actually you do get it! haha.

I know that sounds insanely silly but yes, that is exactly how it would work.

If you use an Azurewrath and use the enchantress to switch it's damage from cold X-Y to lighting X-Y then use bracers with 20% lighting damage, you will get ~75% of that 20% lighting bonus on your Hands of Lightning attacks.

GG! :D

OK! But if Hands of LIGHTNING is changed to LIGHTNING damage, then I would have to enchant back to LIGHTNING to get 100% of the 20%?
Reply Quote
03/07/2014 11:38 AMPosted by Banned

If you use a physical skill and an azurewraith with cold damage and 20% cold damage bracers your bracers will be 78% effective in adding damage to that attack, since the attack is 78% cold damage and 22% physical

So if that attack is doing 1,000,000 damage, 220k of it is physical and 780k of it is cold. That 20% will affect the cold portion so now the skill will do:

220,000+780,000(1.2)=1,156,000 damage, a 15.6% increase overall.

Or, like you said .78*20% would be 15.6%
Edited by Amiar#1992 on 3/7/2014 11:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Edited by Druin#1518 on 3/28/2014 11:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]