Diablo® III

Dual Monitor Help

100 Troll Druid
I play D3 with a dual monitor setup in Windowed Fullscreen but every time I click on my other monitor Diablo minimizes. Is there any way to change this so the screen stays up without playing in Windowed mode?
Reply Quote
I would like to know how to do that also. Drives me crazy.
Reply Quote
I don't think this issue is specific to dual monitor setup. I run just an iMac and when cmd-tabbing to something else when I go back to the desktop D3 is in, it's minimized there and I have to either cmd-tab back or click the D3 icon.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
I think you're right. But is there any way to fix it?
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
If you're in either fullscreen mode, this is the intended behaviour. When in fullscreen mode the app takes over the monitor, and Blizzard games are designed to run only on the primary screen. Windowed (non-fullscreen) mode avoids this, but has its own set of drawbacks obviously.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
I don't know of any way to fix it.

Per above:
If you're in either fullscreen mode, this is the intended behaviour. When in fullscreen mode the app takes over the monitor, and Blizzard games are designed to run only on the primary screen. Windowed (non-fullscreen) mode avoids this, but has its own set of drawbacks obviously.

I disagree. No other apps I use in fullscreen (Safari, iTunes, Citrix, etc.) work this way, including other Blizzard games, which is quite a mixed-bag:
    WoW: full screen windowed works perfectly fine; it fills the space/monitor it's in and still allows for Mission Control (spaces) to work properly.
    Hearthstone: full screen goes to a new space/monitor like a native OS X, but doesn't allow Mission Control to work properly.
    D3: full screen within the space/monitor it's launched and allows Mission Control to work properly; it just has the annoying habit of minimizing itself.
    SC2: I haven't played in a while but from what I recall full screen worked fine, launching within the same space/monitor and allowed mission control via hotkeys (not hot corners) which makes sense given the need to scroll by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen.
Reply Quote
Something else that is annoying is having some window pop up in the background while your playing D3 and it minimizes D3 to show you the pop up window. I tend to have my iTunes running in the second monitor and if I click on it, D3 minimizes, this does not happen when I'm playing WoW.
Reply Quote
I agree, this is very annoyed and was hoping there could be some work around. If this is the intended behavior then I would love to know what the point of having a Fullscreen (Windowed) option is? Diablo 3 is the only full screen program I've seen with this behavior, nothing to do with OS X, just straight Diablo 3.
Reply Quote
D3 started doing this after patch 2.0. Windowed fullscreen mode worked fine before that. I played D3 on a Dell monitor and used my laptop screen to display safari. Now if i use D3 on my Dell in Windowed fullscreen and click on my laptop display, D3 disappears. 2.0 bug, i don't think Blizz even know about it or they don't think its a bug...as i read the technical support calls it as a feature...
Edited by Kazemester#2545 on 3/21/2014 2:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Death Knight
Just to chime in: yes, this is horribly annoying, and no, this behavior doesn't occur with WoW and didn't occur with D3 1.0. The reason that everyone that I know uses Fullscreen (Windowed) in the first place is because it works so well with multimonitor. About the only advantage that it offers with D3 2.0 is that it doesn't cause my other monitors to black out (yay?).
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
This needs to... not be intended behaviour, please. WoW was the first game I played when I got my dual monitor setup and I was incredibly pleased with not having to play in windowed mode—video settings gives me a choice of which monitor to consider primary (within the game) which means I can use my 1920x1080 monitor for WoW and my 1920x1200 monitor for all my other stuff. It feels really awkward to me now to go to a game that's -newer- than WoW but has less customizable options

D3 just seems to completely ignore my monitor preferences—switching from Windowed (which is forced at the 1920x1200 ratios regardless of which monitor I have the window on) to Fullscreen (Windowed) moves D3 from the monitor I want it on to the monitor with my dock and that's just... not okay :(
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
03/12/2014 06:31 AMPosted by Lenus
WoW: full screen windowed works perfectly fine; it fills the space/monitor it's in and still allows for Mission Control (spaces) to work properly.

That is because WoW has built in capability to run on a specific monitor. It defaults to gxMonitor 0 (the internal/first display), but can be set to gxMonitor 1 (external/secondary display) if necessary. Diablo 3 has no such capability.

Hearthstone: full screen goes to a new space/monitor like a native OS X, but doesn't allow Mission Control to work properly.

Hearthstone uses Apple's version of Fullscreen mode. You can tell this because when you start it, even with Spaces disabled, you'll see the desktop "slide" to the left and Hearthstone blow up to fullscreen in its own "space" just like DVD Player does.

SC2: I haven't played in a while but from what I recall full screen worked fine, launching within the same space/monitor and allowed mission control via hotkeys (not hot corners) which makes sense given the need to scroll by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen.

I can't speak to SC2 personally as I have only the Starter Edition installed (which sadly isn't enough to even allow me access to the TS fora over there...grrr) and I have only one display to work with. MysticalOS might know better on this one as he actually plays SC2 from time to time I believe.

03/27/2014 05:25 PMPosted by Basanti
D3 just seems to completely ignore my monitor preferences—switching from Windowed (which is forced at the 1920x1200 ratios regardless of which monitor I have the window on) to Fullscreen (Windowed) moves D3 from the monitor I want it on to the monitor with my dock and that's just... not okay :(

This here indicates that D3 is set to use only the primary monitor, and if the secondary monitor is accessed, it will minimize. It is the current intended be haviour, as making D3 use Apple's special Fulllscreen mode has severe drawbacks, which is why WoW is not using it. Hearthstone uses it because precision is not required for it like it is in D3/WoW/SC2.

I know it's inconsistent across games, but it's a necessary evil given the type of games involved here. One of the other drawbacks of Apple's own Fullscreen mode is that if you CMD-TAB out of the app while it's in that special FS mode and then CMD-TAB back into the app, you will see a blank screen with the desktop showing through until you invoke the fullscreen menu command (if available) or the fullscreen keyboard shortcut once to "reactivate" FS mode, and then a second time to "reset" the FS mode properly. Apple never got their FS mode working well, which is why games usually avoid it whenever possible.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
I agree with the others that they really need to revert to the previous behavior of full screen windowed mode. Right now it's practically useless to me. It use to work as most of us seem to expect it would before 2.0. IMO, the current behavior is a major regression to the game. The whole point of full screen windowed mode is to have a borderless window that takes up the full screen. The current behavior technically has that but now hides the window if it's not in the foreground. That's not what a window should do. With the sound set up to be disabled by default if the game is in the background it's actually pretty easy to forget the game is running at all with the autohide behavior.

If it's the new "intended" behavior then it should have been called out in the patch notes. If it's doable, they should make the autohide functionality an option I can turn off. It's, in theory, doable from an outsider's perspective since it use to behave properly. If they did a major refactoring of the graphics engine code which doesn't make it technically possible then the change of behavior should have been in the patch notes or described in the game options screen, possibly via a mouse over.
Reply Quote
just gotta chime in here and agree that the new "intended" behavior is just terrible for multi-monitor setups. I want the old functionality restored where I could run Full Screen (Windowed) on one monitor and maintain that window when focusing a window/app on my second monitor.
Reply Quote
I'm having a problem where my connected Dell 2560x1440 Monitor through Thunderbolt "corrupts" when loading diablo. I load up D3, and it destroys the monitors resolution after the game is closed, and I can't use that port anymore to run my Dell monitor. Does anybody know how to fix this? I can't even get the proper UI on the monitor anymore unless I use the other thunderbolt port.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
is there any work to this being fixed? or is this going to last forever?
Reply Quote
it absolutely makes no sense to use windowed fullscreen mode if it behaves like that.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
03/28/2014 12:59 AMPosted by TheTias
That is because WoW has built in capability to run on a specific monitor. It defaults to gxMonitor 0 (the internal/first display), but can be set to gxMonitor 1 (external/secondary display) if necessary. Diablo 3 has no such capability.

Yes this is obviously *technically* true, but then don't reply in an earlier post that it works this way because "this is the intended behaviour". Diablo 3 could just as easily *also* use the proper API to make this work right - this isn't some holy API that Apple designed for only WoW to use - and I have yet to see someone from Blizzard post that they think this functionality would be pointless for D3 (which would what would qualify as "working as intended"), or that for some reason it won't work for D3 the way it works for WoW (certainly possible, but I'd love to see someone in blue at least claim that there is a performance issue that makes this true).

The way that Diablo 3 works with dual monitors makes D3 monumentally annoying to play if you want to use your other monitor to do *anything* that requires even occasional input (because windowed performance is ghastly, as you are almost certainly well aware). There is no need to use the "special Apple fullscreen mode" to accomplish this - the current "Windowed (Fullscreen)" mode has pretty good performance and the OS *can* permit input on other monitors while in this mode (which you can prove with some ugly/clever LLDB hacking, at least in Lion, but this requires that you have an ssh connection which you can use out-of-band to manipulate the D3 graphics state).
Reply Quote
Please fire which ever idiot at Blizzard thought this was a good idea.
Reply Quote
noone found a workaround yet?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]