Diablo® III

Will You make a male or female crusader? And why?

03/14/2014 10:40 AMPosted by TrunkMonkey
03/14/2014 10:13 AMPosted by BagelBear
Female. I am a guy. In games I don't really see the character I'm playing as a representation of me. I cannot be immersed in games in that way.

Agreed. I just play with how good my build is.

I agree with both quotes.
I'm a guy and play both Male and Female characters, but I don't see them as a representation of myself.
This is FANTASY folks it's just a game it doesn't matter if your Male or Female player and choosing the opposite sex.
e.g. I've played a lot of Tekken and I play characters due to the way they fight and how I can handle the characters.
But here in D3 you have the option to have the class as either Male or Female but the only thing different about is them is the character model, voice, how their armour looks on each of them, but they virtually play the same.

Just because I'm Male player I see them as ANIMATED characters it does NOT represent me.

If I see a Male or Female player choose ONLY their OWN SEX then I will say they are pretty sexist players out there that take their own sex far too seriously in games.

I've been playing games since I was very young boy and I don't care about gender of characters in games.
In most cases I choose the character I think looks the best character design.
So for me it's about "Art" and "play style".
When you have been a gamer for so long you look beyond gender and see it as animation.
I guess that's why I have been a anime and manga fan and like to play games.

Also Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is the voice of the Female Crusader and also does the voice of Motoko Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell.
And so I'm a anime fan so I know Mary's voice very well.

I also like Crispin Freeman since he does the voice of the Male Wizard.
Crispin Freeman has done HEAPS of voice acting in anime and games so I'm a fan of he's work.
So voice acting can also play a part in choosing characters.
But I rather play both Male and Female characters because I like to experience what they are both like.
Edited by MaskedReaper#6672 on 3/14/2014 11:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Female. I'm actually male irl, despite my profile name. In an odd way, the more "unlike me" the character on the screen is, the more immersive I find the game.

I feel like, "You should play male because that's what you are", is a common thing in gaming communities, but I'm also not a gray-bearded hulk, a pony-tailed wizard of Asian lineage, or a medicine man tall enough for the NBA. None of these characters are me, so I usually default to "What would be the least like me?" and go with that option. I find it more interesting that way.
Reply Quote
Male. I usually go for whichever model looks the best but in this case I feel male is more appropriate. I want to be as big and bulky as possible.
Reply Quote
Female. I think she looks better and the voice acting is better.
Reply Quote
:)
Reply Quote
Yeah but this isn't the game "Second Life" the online virtual world game where you re-live your entire life online and the avatar is an representation of yourself and the avatar is the life you wish you had.

So don't take D3 as Second Life since they are both totally different games.
I wouldn't want to live in a D3 world that's full of demons.
So I don't see D3 characters as a representation of myself since who would want to live in a world raided by demons.
Reply Quote
It will be purely based on looks. Some characters in this game look fracking terrible, I'm looking at you male wizards.
Reply Quote
A female one because the male one looks like a douche.
Reply Quote
03/14/2014 02:44 AMPosted by Angelistic
Hey

Since it is nearly time for ROS YAYYYYYY I thought I would make a post in respect to crusader. So I ask my fellow diablo players will you make a female crusader or male? What is your reason for such decision? Am not sure yet but am defo going to make a crusader :)

Simple actually. Male for SC and Female for HC. Why? I currently have one of each gender and each class reflected in both SC and HC as opposites right now. So that is how it will go. lol
Reply Quote
Whoever said the male Monk got annoying is right. Then again I guess if you play 300 hours they would all get old. I like the voice acting of the Female Wizard and Witch Doctor only though. The female barb looks ridiculous and so does the Fem Crusader imo.
Reply Quote
03/14/2014 08:49 AMPosted by Nevalistis
I always enjoy seeing the reasons people choose to play one over the other. :)

Personally, I've been very conflicted on this. Voice is usually my deciding factor, but both Gideon Emery and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn did fantastic jobs with their respective Crusaders! On a related note, they were [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/13290656/crusader-voice-acting-interview-with-blizzpro-3-13-2014"]recently interviewed[/url] over on Blizzpro, along with our casting and voice over director Andrea Toyias and our lead writer Brian Kendregan. There's some great insight on their acting behind the Crusader (as well as some hilarious shenanigans), so do give it a watch/listen!

Back on topic, ultimately I'll end up having both, likely one for normal and one for Hardcore. But deciding which one's first? I'll be mulling on that for a while!

Why is it you're commenting in here but there's no response to the epilepsy thread?
Reply Quote
male crusader i have leveled aleardy all class to 60 and i want to tank and spank!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
Female. I usually go for a certain feel to the class, it needs to click for me. I chose : Barb = Male, DH = Female, Wiz = Female, WD = Male, Monk = Female. Though, something about a female crusader wielding a massive flail in one hand and a towering shield in the other, while wearing awesome looking plate armor, and slaying waves of demons is just BADASS.
Reply Quote
Male for SC, female for HC.
Reply Quote
Probably female crusader. The voice acting for female characters is usually better.
Reply Quote
View profile
Male softcore, female hardcore.

Why? I have a specific name for a male crusader, while I have more names to go through for a female.
Reply Quote
People really immerse themselves in their character to the point where they imagine themselves as the character? I try to maybe craft a story for my character but I don't go that far. If playing female characters means you secretly want to be a woman why are there games like Dead or Alive where you control hot female characters with gigantic boobs? Obviously the game was made for straight guys. I like hot femme fatale type character which is why my demon hunter and wizard are females, however my witch doctor is male because i felt that suited the class better. My crusader will also be male. Has anyone ever considered having all male characters is a bit of a sausage fest? Just sayin. :P
Reply Quote
03/14/2014 11:36 AMPosted by FluffyMuffin
Female. I'm actually male irl, despite my profile name. In an odd way, the more "unlike me" the character on the screen is, the more immersive I find the game.

I feel like, "You should play male because that's what you are", is a common thing in gaming communities, but I'm also not a gray-bearded hulk, a pony-tailed wizard of Asian lineage, or a medicine man tall enough for the NBA. None of these characters are me, so I usually default to "What would be the least like me?" and go with that option. I find it more interesting that way.

Well considering games are a form of escapism you're totally right! It's about putting yourself in a different reality from your own.
Reply Quote
Female, it is their turn. 3 male characters, 2 female... now that my HC died. Need to bring it back to 3/3.
Edited by GamerJes#1959 on 3/14/2014 1:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]