Diablo® III

Severe Graphic Glitching

I am using a 15 inch Mac Book Pro Retina 2013

running at 1440 x 900 resolution in Windowed Fullscreen mode.

problem occurs at random play times, I have turned off my Macbook's ability to switch between built in GPU ( intel ) and the Nvidia Gefore GT 650M GPU, so its always using Nvidia one. thought that might help but it didn't. game doesn't crash for me, just graphics bugs out even when I have only been playing for 45 mins.
Reply Quote
03/27/2014 04:17 PMPosted by S4d1k
What OSX version you're using?

10.9.2. Happened on 10.9.1 too.

What's your video card?

AMD 6850HD 2GB (I am on a custom built MacFaux. Ivy bridge Core i5 w/ 16GB RAM)

When it started, did you crash shortly after? If so, please provide the crash ID. (The long number in the crash reporter)

Never crashed because of it. I just end up with migraine inducing graphic flickering.

If my theory is correct, this is related to using too much memory address space.You could avoid the problem by reducing your resolution to 1650x1080 or 1920x1200 and using lower graphic settings like a lower texture quality.

Graphics are fullscreen, 1920x1200, high texture, medium shadows, high physics, high clutter, antialiasing. Reflections were on, but I went through the cache reset thing mentioned and it was fine for a while, but comes back. I recall it being more of a problem when it is raining in game, especially in Fields of Misery (aptly named at that point). I do recall having the glitching on A3 battlefields too.

Next time it happens I'll try messing with graphics settings to see if anything removes the flickering on the fly.
Reply Quote
03/27/2014 08:57 PMPosted by UatderBarbar

What im trying to say is, our graphic cards might have gone !@#$d up by this. Im gonna go to the store tomorrow to have it checked.

Apple has a track record of iffy and just plain bad graphics drivers longer than a male adult film star’s primary. AMD/ATI still is more stable than NVIDIA on Macs, but the two are getting closer with each OS release (in a good way). Still, there seems to be a reason Apple supplies the new Mac Pro with AMD/ATI cards only.

I’m pretty sure it’s an issue on Apple’s side that needs to be recognised by developers, i.e. worked around. Memory leak perhaps? I’m a photographer in my day job and there has been much pain with the software I use for RAW development once it started to employ graphics cores for computation tasks rather than just rendering the screen. The devs fixed it by querying VRAM on start and disabling off-screen computation on graphics adapters with less than 1 GB of dedicated memory. Rather ham-fisted, but at least I can work. ;) Apple’s graphics core doesn’t seem to react nicely once VRAM is full or there is an overflow. Or a memory leak.

@S4d1k: my D3 Mac’s specs are listed above in this thread. For what it’s worth, since the original friends&family Beta back in 2011/12 Diablo 3 hasn’t crashed on me, ever. Also, when the glitches appear, no crash. It’s fine once I change into another area and D3 keeps on running without incident for hours on end afterwards. Until I switch back into an area with grass. Flickering hell.

The glitch appears in Highlands for me, too. To reproduce it, it’s enough if D3 has run for a couple of minutes. If I then switch areas -> no glitches. e.g. entering the sword shard cave or Leoric’s Manor.
Edited by Nggalai#1381 on 3/28/2014 9:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Was just in a HUGE rift section, - the one where u normally kill the jailer, and its HUGE and full of E..
We had done a couple rifts, and this was third I think.. Onlline for 3 hours or so..
here is link to graphic: http://imgur.com/rfWAezt

Lastest MAC os version
2012 15" MAcbook Pro retina, 256GB, with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics chip
about 2-3 hours before this happened

It did not crash I was able to tp to town, and leave, but the menu screen was a COMPLETE KALEIDOSCOPE!
Reply Quote
I also am experiencing this on OS X 10.9.2, on a 2011 15" MacBook Pro Retina, with a 650M graphics chip. Sometimes I can run the game for HOURS and it's fine, sometimes I start getting corrupted textures after just a couple hours. The game doesn't often crash when this happens (in fact I've only had one time in RoS where the game hard-locked and I had to Cmd+Ctrl+Esc to kill it, during a load—I don't remember if I was experiencing texture corruption at the time), and often I can go into Video options and switch down to low textures and it's fine. Sometimes I can even switch BACK to high res textures and be fine for a while again.

Very strange! Hope this gets solved.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Obviously not a workaround but do you guys know if switching between windows and fullscreen makes the issue go away(at least for a little while)?

If anyone has a bug report ID that would really help. You get these when you crash.

Thanks BadLlama for yours.
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 11:03 AMPosted by S4d1k
Obviously not a workaround but do you guys know if switching between windows and fullscreen makes the issue go away(at least for a little while)?

If anyone has a bug report ID that would really help. You get these when you crash.

Game hasn't crashed for me yet. Usually when the glitching starts, I quit the game and come back in and everythings back to normal.
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 11:03 AMPosted by S4d1k

Forgot to mention it above: I always run windowed, not full-screen. And as said, no crashes, just flickering Highlands / Fields of Misery.
Edited by Nggalai#1381 on 3/28/2014 11:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Nggalai, your issue is discussed in this thread: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11882388366
Reply Quote
i, too, am in the glitching textures party.

What OSX version you're using?

What's your video card?

nvdia geforce gt 650m 1gig vram on mid 2012 retina macbookpro

How many hours before this happened (starting when you launch Diablo III)?

I actually havent timed it, but i feel like i've had both a couple glitch-outs in the first hour and sessions, like the one i just finished multiple hours long, 4 in this case, with no glitching at all.

When it started, did you crash shortly after? If so, please provide the crash ID. (The long number in the crash reporter)

I've only had actual crashes two or 3 times, and i neglected to write down the crash id sorry.

If my theory is correct, this is related to using too much memory address space.
You could avoid the problem by reducing your resolution to 1650x1080 or 1920x1200 and using lower graphic settings like a lower texture quality.

This is not a solution, we are currently working on a fix for both Windows and Mac.

I play at 1920x1200 anyways. I've had the glitching start with both high and low textures, and on much lower resolutions.
One think i've noticed, however, for people who have been restarting the game when this happens, there's need. You can simply go into the video options, which remain outlined enough to read, if not easily, and swap the textures between hi and low. which ever you're using. Just accept the setting in the other, watch it reset the screen, then swap it back. it doesnt 'fix' it but it does accomplish the same temporary resolution that force-booting your comp does.
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 12:15 PMPosted by weirdbeard
I play at 1920x1200 anyways. I've had the glitching start with both high and low textures, and on much lower resolutions.
One think i've noticed, however, for people who have been restarting the game when this happens, there's need. You can simply go into the video options, which remain outlined enough to read, if not easily, and swap the textures between hi and low. which ever you're using. Just accept the setting in the other, watch it reset the screen, then swap it back. it doesnt 'fix' it but it does accomplish the same temporary resolution that force-booting your comp does.

This is a welcome workaround as it will prevent one from exiting a game. Thanks.
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 11:59 AMPosted by S4d1k
Nggalai, your issue is discussed in this thread: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11882388366

Cheers! Helpful, but I still have the glitches this thread is about, too. But it reduced some of the texture flickering I described, hence, again: cheers. :)
Reply Quote
When is this going to be fixed..... I wanna play again without worrying about my graphic card going to be destroyed..
Reply Quote
Here is how I can reproduce this almost at will.

iMac late 2013.

Start a rift. Keeping entering the rift, and town portaling back to town. Go back in the rift, then town portal. After 5-6 times, your graphics should bug out. That does it for me, and doesn't take hours to generate. I've had the texture bug happen after 20 minutes.

This also works if you, say, TP 3 times in one rift, and the 2-4 in the next rift.
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 04:16 AMPosted by John
I am using a 15 inch Mac Book Pro Retina 2013

running at 1440 x 900 resolution in Windowed Fullscreen mode.

problem occurs at random play times, I have turned off my Macbook's ability to switch between built in GPU ( intel ) and the Nvidia Gefore GT 650M GPU, so its always using Nvidia one. thought that might help but it didn't. game doesn't crash for me, just graphics bugs out even when I have only been playing for 45 mins.

Forgot to mention.. We did 99pct of the Huge maze, and I tp to town to sell.. It's When I tp back to the huge maze that the Bad graphics appeared!! Unsure if that is relevant...

thanks
Reply Quote
so happy to have seen this thread..i too am having the same psychedelic problems. the first time it happened i thought i was having a flashback from too much... um, studying... years ago at college.

i am running a 2012 rMBP with a GeForce GT650M.
10.9.2 but it has been occurring for me since i started playing d3 again when loot 2.0 hit. (i believe 10.9.1 was the latest at that time).

i have to say it is the most beautiful bug i have ever had the displeasure to come across. i know blizz is awesome and will fix this very fast but please wait until i can get some great video footage of this bug to project at my next light switch disco party.
Reply Quote
I too have noticed that it usually comes with teleporting out of a rift.
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 02:43 PMPosted by Fives
Here is how I can reproduce this almost at will.

iMac late 2013.

Start a rift. Keeping entering the rift, and town portaling back to town. Go back in the rift, then town portal. After 5-6 times, your graphics should bug out. That does it for me, and doesn't take hours to generate. I've had the texture bug happen after 20 minutes.

This also works if you, say, TP 3 times in one rift, and the 2-4 in the next rift.

I can confirm that this reproduces it for me. On the crash ID that I provided, it happened because I went to town from a rift, and normally the game does not crash so quickly after the kaliedoscope glitching begins.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
I think it depends on hardware on how fast it's reproduced. To be honest I go in and out of rifts no problem. However, I have 3 gigs of vram AND I only play at 1680x1050 (native resolution to my 20 inch display) so I have absolutely never seen this issue even after many hours of regular play.

It goes along with what S4d1k said about running out of memory causing it. I probably have not hit that point
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 04:41 PMPosted by MysticalOS
I think it depends on hardware on how fast it's reproduced.

Are you using an iMac or Mac Pro?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]