Diablo® III

Is Blizzard De-Evolving?

Seems they do not know what their players want anymore I mean come on when was the last time they released something GREAT like they use to in the 90's WoW BC??? its been 10 years since something great has returned everyting has been good at best
Reply Quote
Everything that goes up , eventually has to come down.

Blizzard has been falling for a looooonnng time now heh.
Reply Quote
Op do you even play the game? Or just play the forums??
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 02:12 AMPosted by Mystic221
Seems they do not know what their players want anymore I mean come on when was the last time they released something GREAT like they use to in the 90's WoW BC??? its been 10 years since something great has returned everyting has been good at best

Firstly, WoW BC was released in January 2007...which is quite far from the 90´s.

Having said that I also felt that Blizzard lost its magic somewhere around the release of BC. However, after SC2 and the Diablo 3 releases which in my mind were extremely polished but quite bad gaming products I must say that 2.0 for Diablo 3 has really made me think they are on the right track again. What I read about WoD is also steps in the right direction.

So lets see if they can bounce back with HotS, RoS, HS etc.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
03/20/2014 02:12 AMPosted by Mystic221
Seems they do not know what their players want anymore

The devs have too much power and too little supervision. Very unprofessional compared to when Blizzard was just a couple dozen dudes in a room communicating with each other.

"We think 2 handed weapons are in a good place."
"We want players to have fun specifically how we say they should."
"PvP isn't a priority."
"Thinking outside of the box will result in a quick nerf but we take our time on bugs for job security."
Reply Quote
I dont know guys. Maybe we are just getting too old for this *S* :)

As a 30 year old gamer I can say for sure that games need more and more to appease me. I grew up with games like fallout 2, baldurs gate, soul reaver, diablo 1 and 2, morrowind and many more.

I think it is a case of diminnishing returns. Ive played so many fantastic games since I was a kid that I crave more and better games every time to reach that "Gamers high" again. I do believe Diablo 3 didnt quiet hit the mark, but IMO that complaint was mainly with story and dialogue. The gameplay of D3 is really fun and addictive, so in my opinion that succeeded.

It may also be that Blizzard simply lost its passion. I read that Mike and his 2 college friends founded Blizzard on a 1000 dollar check from Mike Morhaime's grandmother. And I watched an interview with pictures of the old crew making world of warcraft and how they sat inhumanly many hours crunching code and such.

When making video games is "That job" you have, to fuel your life. Some of the magic goes away. Blizzard in the early days seemed to consider making games - their life. A genuine and sincere passion that really showed, when you first walked that undead rogue of yours out the crypt for the first time in the undead starting area in world of warcraft back in 2005, you knew that whoever made this believed in it 100% and put their soul into it.

Diablo 3 was missing alot. But I think this expansion does fix alot of the issues that we were frustrated about, and it certainly made me catch a new interest.

So as for Blizzard devolving? That may have some truth to it due to the company growing too large and other factors. But I also believe alot of us gamers are getting increasingly hard to please and romantizing (spelling?) the past too much based on those fond memories of playing something fresh.

I think we as a community is being overly harsh on Blizzard, but I also think its a case of Blizzard losing some of its heart and soul along the way. I really dont know anymore. Im getting old, cynical, bitter, spoiled and overly demanding myself. So maybe its just alittle bit of everything adding up to a "loss" of ability to enjoy things like before.
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 02:21 AMPosted by LocknLoad
Op do you even play the game? Or just play the forums??

I lol'd
Reply Quote
Many might not agree but I felt they hit their pinnacle in WotLK; they had the most subs during that time I believe. Plus I really really dug that expansion even more so than BC since it was very alt friendly...for the first time since launch I was able to get multiple different sets for PvE and PvP for my main and my alts + I felt the content was really good and there was much to do as well....oh and my druid was a healing god. Good times! Sadly, Cata changed all that and I quit as a form of protest. :(

Right now, they just rehashing existing franchises and not doing anything new at all. I don't count that card game as much since it's just a casual mess around deal imo.

Only way they might get back on top is with Titan but that's like 10 years from now in Blizzard time.
Edited by iuki#1668 on 3/20/2014 2:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
you know what?
this - is actually quite good point, Ourobors. when I read it, I really felt the same way, even tough I was not able to explain it myself...

someone may like football, or F1 races, but my passion are games, and I dare to say that I played really lot of both - old and new ones, since I get my hands on Famicon brought by my friend's parrents from Japan. to the Skyrim, Mass Effect and Diablo 3

times are changing, games are not just fun for little kids anymore and expectations from gamers are completely elsewhere now than where they been 20 years back

some people may be lazy, but I still believe that those BASIC developers really tries to do what they can, but to be pressed on so many fronts must have consequences
Edited by Daralyn#1288 on 3/20/2014 2:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Are we not men? DE-VO.
Reply Quote
View profile
Blizzard lost its magic as soon as they attracted the little kids who are from the self-centered generation that has no appreciation or respect for other people's hard work whatsoever and then provided forums for said generation to whine and cry.
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 03:47 AMPosted by Saih
Blizzard lost its magic as soon as they attracted the little kids who are from the self-centered generation that has no appreciation or respect for other people's hard work whatsoever and then provided forums for said generation to whine and cry.

Whining and crying about whining and crying. How perfectly ironic!
Reply Quote
View profile
03/20/2014 03:49 AMPosted by iuki
03/20/2014 03:47 AMPosted by Saih

Whining and crying about whining and crying. How perfectly ironic!

The chicken or the egg?
Reply Quote
From an objective standpoint I think MoP is the best WoW expansion they've released to-date, SC2, as a game (perhaps not as a competitive RTS) is best-in-genre, Diablo 3, despite it's flaws, took some great steps to differentiate itself from all the other ARPG offerings, Hearthstone is an amazingly polished casual card game that I can't wait for it to come to iOS, and Heroes of the Storm is taking a lot of risks in the MOBA genre to try and shake it up.

So no, I don't think Blizzard is "de-evolving". I think Blizzard is a top tier developer that not only operates as a successful business in an area full of struggling competition, but also constantly pushes the boundaries of game quality.

I don't agree with everything they do, and sometimes I don't even think the games they put out is all that fun, but show me one MMORPG, APRG, RTS, or digital CCG with as much polish, fluidity, playability or direction as the aforementioned Blizzard products have.

You won't find one.
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 03:53 AMPosted by YNDI
I don't agree with everything they do, and sometimes I don't even think the games they put out is all that fun, but show me one MMORPG, APRG, RTS, or digital CCG with as much polish, fluidity, playability or direction as the aforementioned Blizzard products have.

You won't find one.

I will have to agree with this completely; blizzard unlike 99% of other devs out there actually has standards so that is +1 for them.
Reply Quote
I'm surprised no one mentioned that certain merger between them and a certain other company that likes to milk game series dry.

Ouroboros makes some good points though. It's kind of a cynical era of gaming that we're in these days, and I keep hoping that there will be a turnaround later this year with some other games coming out to see that "gaming high" achieved again, whether it be from "Destiny" or other titles. Alot of other developers seem to fall subject to the same type of going through the motions these days when it comes to making a product.

What I seem to notice alot is games that are good but not great. Like, you know, those almost-good games that fall into this "if only this were different" or "that were different," and while some flaws can show character, these flaws don't. And when you take into account on-disc DLC, it gets frustrating.

At the end of the day, I think we all want to see this expansion bring the magic back into Diablo 3. Obviously alot of people have very different ideas on how to get there though. It's a shame that this much arguing has went on, and I'll be man enough to apologize if I worded some things in a way I could have worded better. (BOA and so on.) I'm a very passionate guy and a long time D2 vet, and after being fortunate enough to have gotten an invite to the RoS beta, I want to see the game do well. It might make me a little more extra-critical than others I guess is what I'm trying to say- having had a level 70 for a period of time temporarily.

But what can I say? I'm on the fence at this point. Not because I have a problem with playing to get gear; nephalem rifts are far more fun than trading could ever be. I hope you all enjoy them as much or more than I did during beta.

Regardless, I still gotta give credit where credit is due. This team is alot better than what we had in vanilla. The game is better as well. Alot better. But it's still at that "almost" point.
Reply Quote
I want to agree with the OP, but I think Hearthstone is a quality product. I also think SC2 was pretty good. It's just D3 that they keep screwing up with, and the reason is very simple. They tried to make it way too different from Diablo 2.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]